• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 1. Haswell, Crysis 3, and secret fairy sauce. Read da OP

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been messing around with GTA IV lately and ultimately decided to cap the framerate at 30 fps since it was completely unstable. Out of curiosity, has anyone with a monster rig managed to get a consistent 60 fps out of this game? I'm curious if it's even possible to achieve with brute force with current hardware.

mkenyon

Banned
I've been messing around with GTA IV lately and ultimately decided to cap the framerate at 30 fps since it was completely unstable. Out of curiosity, has anyone with a monster rig managed to get a consistent 60 fps out of this game? I'm curious if it's even possible to achieve with brute force with current hardware.
Need insane overclocks.

When I had my 5.0GHz 2500K, I was able to keep it generally above 60 FPS.

zoku88

i7 930
6gbs ram

It runs games fine except for a few things like in Tomb Raider I can't have tressfx. Metro can't max and a few others. I should just wait until the 7 or 8 series?
Isn't the tressfx thing related to nvidia cards sucking at opencl?

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned

I achieve 80-90 fps with ENB and quite a few mods installed. I'm running at 1920x1080 but I did scale up to 2560x1440 today and could play at 60-65 fps.

This is the picture quality I'm getting. http://gizmowned.minus.com/mbvWaDcBpW6VYu
iTCD4ya14Ekz2.png
iWS8cDFcGWHxb.png

brentech

Sounds awesome. What are your specs?

He posted them a few pages back:

• Case: NZXT Switch 810
  • CPU: i7 3930k @ 4.5Ghz
  • Ram: Patriot Viper 16Gb 1866Mhz
  • GPU: Asus GTX 680 Directcu II Top 2GB
  • SSD: Samsung 840 Series Pro 256GB
  • HDD: Hitachi 1TB Deskstar HDD
  • HDD: 2x Hitachi 1TB Deskstar HDD in RAID 0 @ 2TB
  • PSU: Corsair AX760
  • Cooler: Corsair Hydro H60
  • Fans: 5 x Corsair AF140's, 4 x Corsair SP120's

sgjackson

A friend of mine is going to be building a PC for gaming and art in a few months (July/August, probably post-Haswell), and I'm helping her with the process. I'm doing some preliminary research now and have some questions so I can get an idea of where I'm aiming for. Maximum budget is around 1500 or so (including an SSD), but if we can come in under that while meeting her requirements that'd be cool.

1. Does Haswell have an i7 equivalent with hyperthreading? If it does, will this be useful with Photoshop/SAI/other art stuff she uses?
2. Along the same lines, is 16GB of RAM overkill for art stuff, or useful?
3. She's expressed interest in eventually upgrading her two 24-inch TN panels to the 27" Korean IPS monitors, and my main concern right now is making sure her video card can push 2560x1440. About where should I be aiming with that? Most important games would be RPGs (Bioware/Bethesda stuff being highlights) and the occasional console port.

kharma45

A friend of mine is going to be building a PC for gaming and art in a few months (July/August, probably post-Haswell), and I'm helping her with the process. I'm doing some preliminary research now and have some questions so I can get an idea of where I'm aiming for. Maximum budget is around 1500 or so (including an SSD), but if we can come in under that while meeting her requirements that'd be cool.

1. Does Haswell have an i7 equivalent with hyperthreading? If it does, will this be useful with Photoshop/SAI/other art stuff she uses?
2. Along the same lines, is 16GB of RAM overkill for art stuff, or useful?
3. She's expressed interest in eventually upgrading her two 24-inch TN panels to the 27" Korean IPS monitors, and my main concern right now is making sure her video card can push 2560x1440. About where should I be aiming with that? Most important games would be RPGs (Bioware/Bethesda stuff being highlights) and the occasional console port.

1. Yes and yes.
2. For PS it'll be useful.
3. You'd want a 7970 ideally or a 680. Nvidia has new kit coming out this month too to replace the 6xx series.

sgjackson

1. Yes and yes.
2. For PS it'll be useful.
3. You'd want a 7970 ideally or a 680. Nvidia has new kit coming out this month too to replace the 6xx series.

7970s look significantly cheaper than 680s and we might be able to squeeze one in if the performance is that similar.

Another thing I forgot: We need wi-fi. Is it better to spring for one built into the mobo, or is there a cheaper internal solution? Would rather not go USB if possible.

kharma45

7970 is faster for games and it's OpenCL which it uses for hardware acceleration is becoming more widespread. Photoshop has had it for ages now and the next version of Premiere has it.

Get Powerline adapters.

mkenyon

Banned
7970s look significantly cheaper than 680s and we might be able to squeeze one in if the performance is that similar.

Another thing I forgot: We need wi-fi. Is it better to spring for one built into the mobo, or is there a cheaper internal solution? Would rather not go USB if possible.
Built in cards tend to be slightly more reliable for whatever reason.

But yeah, if the house wiring is in good condition, get a Powerline Adapter.

I'm surprised at the lack of solid desktop microphones. I suppose it's because so many devices already come with microphones these days (in-ears, headsets, webcams).
Even Logitech seemed to have discontinued its better microphone, now all's left is a flimsy cheap one.

I just might have to go for the Modmic, but I wanted something I could put on my desk and forget about...

Ok built my new pc last summer. Time to upgrade. I have a 128 ssd drive with windows 7. Two other HDD for storage. I just bought a new crucial 256 ssd. Can I not just hook it up and have it run as a regular drive? My computer doesn't recognize it. Or can you only put the OS on the SSD? Thanks for any help.

t-ramp

Ok built my new pc last summer. Time to upgrade. I have a 128 ssd drive with windows 7. Two other HDD for storage. I just bought a new crucial 256 ssd. Can I not just hook it up and have it run as a regular drive? My computer doesn't recognize it. Or can you only put the OS on the SSD? Thanks for any help.
You should be able to use it as a secondary drive. Is it recognized in the BIOS? Maybe you just need to format the drive from within Windows.

kennah

It needs to be initialized and partitioned. Right click Computer in the start menu and click Manage then go to Disk Management. l

Hawk269

Vanilla GTAIV yes, with a monster rig. I have it running at a steady 60fps at 2560x1440 with 2xTitans with them hitting 1163mhz and a I73930k at 4.8. Looks gorgeous at that resolution too. I did notice a slight drop in FPS briefly down to around 52 or so, but for the most part it has been pretty solid 60fps.

So yes, brute force will do it.

Hawk269

Re-asking this....

A friend of mine is now thinking of going to higher resolution monitor but he wants at minimum a 30" monitor. What are the best of the best 30" monitors? Also, in doing some research I notice almost all 30" are 16:10 vs. 16:9 and the resolution is a bit higher at 2560x1600p.

Is 16:10 supported by most games these days? Will he have issues going 16:10 vs. 16:9?

Thanks to anyone that can assist.

vilmer_

I love my 600T case but damn if doesn't make some weird noises sometimes, randomly. Like the plastic around the case suddenly 'squeaks/crackles'. I think it's just the type of plastic used (definitely not the best material). I've had it about a year now and I'm seriously thinking on switching for my main gaming PC.

mkenyon

Banned
Re-asking this....

A friend of mine is now thinking of going to higher resolution monitor but he wants at minimum a 30" monitor. What are the best of the best 30" monitors? Also, in doing some research I notice almost all 30" are 16:10 vs. 16:9 and the resolution is a bit higher at 2560x1600p.

Is 16:10 supported by most games these days? Will he have issues going 16:10 vs. 16:9?

Thanks to anyone that can assist.
Yeah, they're going to be 1600P. The Dell Ultrasharp U30whatever is always highly recommended. Lots of games support 16:10, some might not. Most do though.
I love my 600T case but damn if doesn't make some weird noises sometimes, randomly. Like the plastic around the case suddenly 'squeaks/crackles'. I think it's just the type of plastic used (definitely not the best material). I've had it about a year now and I'm seriously thinking on switching for my main gaming PC.
I know what you mean. I went through two of them even.

Define R4. Trust me.

M3z_

Gah, I want all this new generation of gfx cards speculation to sort itself out. First they rumor a Titan Ultra and a Titan LE, then they rumor that Titan LE is actually just the 780, now they rumor that the 780 might actaully be a very small improvement over the 680, and be due as soon as May 16th. Then to top that off now AMD who previously stated that their next gen cards won't be out until 2014, has now said that Volcanic Islands will be released in 2013. At this rate I'm going to not have a GPU in my rig for a couple months.

I was just thinking about dropping my $1600 budget on a Titan and the saving for a bit until I could buy a second if the 780 really did turn out to be disappointing. But now if Volcanic Islands is to come out this year I don't think I can buy a Titan until I know what kind of effect AMD's new GPU's will have on the market.

I had the white 600T and switched because of noise. The front fan is pretty noisy. However, may make to also check other components for noise. I switched to a R4 case only to find out my PSU was making a hell of a lot of the noise.

I'm thinking about getting a new PC since mine's been dead for a while. I tried that PC builder, but I'm not really all that good at picking parts. I'd like a capable gaming PC since I have about 70 Sy team games I've never been able to play.

Current specs: None. I've been using a tablet for months.
Budget: $800 - $900?, US.
Use:
Light gaming - 5
Gaming - 5
Emulation - 5
Video editing - 1
HD streaming - 3
3D modeling - 2 (might get into it)
General - 5
Resolution: 1280 x 1024?, Don't want a new monitor.
Stuff I need to run well:
Steam, FL Studio, Photoshop, Minecraft, Day Z, Just Cause 2, most PC games..
I'd like as much fps as possible. As long as it's locked, 30 fps doesn't bother me too much, I guess.
Reuse parts:Just my mouse, keyboard and monitor.
Timeframe: As soon as possible.
Overclocking: If I can figure out how.

I don't really need an expensive case, so a cheap mid size tower is OK.
I'd appreciate any help. Thanks.

vilmer_

I know what you mean. I went through two of them even.

Define R4. Trust me.

I've had my eye on these for a while, definitely considering ;)

I had the white 600T and switched because of noise. The front fan is pretty noisy. However, may make to also check other components for noise. I switched to a R4 case only to find out my PSU was making a hell of a lot of the noise.

It really is a beautiful case, tons of room for modification, cooling etc. The noise seems to come about more so when I have a game going - the cracks and pops of the plastic are very noticeable and rather annoying tbh. I've had many cases over the years, and I have not once ever heard one make these sorts of noises :/

Nearly done with my budget build need ram and an hdd. Going 8 gigs of CORSAIR Vengeance LP. Preferably on one stick as opposed to two 4 gig sticks. Any reason to go for two sticks vs one?

knitoe

Nearly done with my budget build need ram and an hdd. Going 8 gigs of CORSAIR Vengeance LP. Preferably on one stick as opposed to two 4 gig sticks. Any reason to go for two sticks vs one?

For 2, double the bandwidth. Thus, depending on your MB chipset, you want to get them in pairs of 2, 3 or 4 sticks.

kennah

I'm thinking about getting a new PC since mine's been dead for a while. I tried that PC builder, but I'm not really all that good at picking parts. I'd like a capable gaming PC since I have about 70 Sy team games I've never been able to play.

Current specs: None. I've been using a tablet for months.
Budget: $800 - $900?, US.
Use:
Light gaming - 5
Gaming - 5
Emulation - 5
Video editing - 1
HD streaming - 3
3D modeling - 2 (might get into it)
General - 5
Resolution: 1280 x 1024?, Don't want a new monitor.
Stuff I need to run well:
Steam, FL Studio, Photoshop, Minecraft, Day Z, Just Cause 2, most PC games..
I'd like as much fps as possible. As long as it's locked, 30 fps doesn't bother me too much, I guess.
Reuse parts:Just my mouse, keyboard and monitor.
Timeframe: As soon as possible.
Overclocking: If I can figure out how.

I don't really need an expensive case, so ap cheap mid size tower is OK.
I'd appreciate any help. Thanks.

Look at the builds in the OP. wait for haswell anyway. And really 800-900 will get you a pretty great computer. You'll be doing a lot better than 30fps :)

This may or may not be the best place but it'll get the most recognition:

Computer got turned off last night, and now it won't turn on. Motherboard light is on, and the when I press the button to turn it on, the fans spin for a second and cut out. Unplugged everything unnecessary so it was just PSU, fan, motherboard, and processor running and it still did the same thing, which leads me to believe it's one of two things: Either the motherboard is fried (which i don't think it is, the power light is on) or the power supply is shot.

I don't have anything to test with unfortunately. I suppose I could buy a new power supply and hope it's that issue? It's an dell desktop from 2010 with the only original part being the motherboard. Or would it behoove me to buy a new power supply and motherboard? I already have a core i3 970, 8gbs of ram, and an HD 6850 so the expensive stuff is about covered...

(It was a graduation present that I slowly piecemealed together so that's why it's from dell).

knitoe

This may or may not be the best place but it'll get the most recognition:

Computer got turned off last night, and now it won't turn on. Motherboard light is on, and the when I press the button to turn it on, the fans spin for a second and cut out. Unplugged everything unnecessary so it was just PSU, fan, motherboard, and processor running and it still did the same thing, which leads me to believe it's one of two things: Either the motherboard is fried (which i don't think it is, the power light is on) or the power supply is shot.

I don't have anything to test with unfortunately. I suppose I could buy a new power supply and hope it's that issue? It's an dell desktop from 2010 with the only original part being the motherboard. Or would it behoove me to buy a new power supply and motherboard? I already have a core i3 970, 8gbs of ram, and an HD 6850 so the expensive stuff is about covered...

(It was a graduation present that I slowly piecemealed together so that's why it's from dell).

Yeah. Most likely, it's either the PSU or MB. Buy a PSU from a B&M store to test.

Banned
I built my first rig in December 2009, but now it seems it's aging. I want a motherboard with PCIe 3.0, SATA 3.0, USB 3.0, and LGA1155 socket. My CPU is an LGA1366 socket so I can't just transfer it to the new motherboard. So essentially, I would need to buy a new CPU and Motherboard to get the 3.0 features. *sigh*

But would the upgrade be worth it for gaming? Will a GTX 6xx or 7xx card run faster? Would I get higher fps? I only game at 1080p and based on benchmarks, PCI 3.0 GPU's run maybe 2-4% faster then if they are in a PCI 2.0 slot.

Maybe I should just stick with my 1st gen Core i7, Asus Rampage II Extreme and GTX 570 HD.

I'm not sure if this is the correct thread for this, but it seems like a thread that would have some solid networking technical knowledge.

Is there really a big difference moving to gaming over a wireless connection versus gaming over a wired connection? My condo unit recently added the option for FiOS which would improve over our current cable for both price and down / up speeds. But the cable runs directly into the house, so I can plug in my 360 and PC wired. While the FiOS would be in a wireless router on our balcony. It would only be like 8 feet from my TV / PC hub with only a single wall between.

My gut tells me that especially over this distance the wireless connection should only add a tiny amount of overhead to the overall ping. But I still hear so many people say to only go wired that it makes me nervous. Thoughts?

FiOS to a wireless router? Why not just buy a sports car and tow it behind a Honda Civic.

I know, but it's currently Cable for $75 a month or FiOS for $35. I'm a gamer, but not super hardcore and it's getting pretty hard to justify.

mkenyon

Banned
Just got my PC setup in the temporary living arrangements. Downloading from steam at 1.2-2.0 makes me cringe. My download speeds at my last place were generally 5-7MB (bytes) a second.

I'm not sure if this is the correct thread for this, but it seems like a thread that would have some solid networking technical knowledge.

Is there really a big difference moving to gaming over a wireless connection versus gaming over a wired connection? My condo unit recently added the option for FiOS which would improve over our current cable for both price and down / up speeds. But the cable runs directly into the house, so I can plug in my 360 and PC wired. While the FiOS would be in a wireless router on our balcony. It would only be like 8 feet from my TV / PC hub with only a single wall between.

My gut tells me that especially over this distance the wireless connection should only add a tiny amount of overhead to the overall ping. But I still hear so many people say to only go wired that it makes me nervous. Thoughts?

I know, but it's currently Cable for $75 a month or FiOS for $35. I'm a gamer, but not super hardcore and it's getting pretty hard to justify.
It's not bad ping as much as it is inconsistent ping. If you don't play competitive games, I don't think it'd be much of an issue at all from that distance though. That's an odd setup though, not having access to *anything* wired.

What I'd want to do before totally okaying it is finding out what kind of modem/gateway/router they are equipping you with. The quality of the wireless connection is directly tied to the quality of the equipment.

hi pcGAF, i decided to build a new pc, i haven't built anything since like 2006 so my current pc still runs on an agp video card and all that stuff and quite frankly i've been out of the loop. i decided to go pc/nintendo this gen so I want to build a computer that I won't have to upgrade for a while. i came up with this while i was surfing new egg, i have a budget of $2000 but honestly i wouldn't mind making it for around $1500. this is what I came up with so far

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16811108422

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16814150665

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16813131801

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16817139011

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16820231569

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16819115229

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16833162032

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16822136533

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16827135252

any thoughts?

Demon Ice

Banned
hi pcGAF, i decided to build a new pc, i haven't built anything since like 2006 so my current pc still runs on an agp video card and all that stuff and quite frankly i've been out of the loop. i decided to go pc/nintendo this gen so I want to build a computer that I won't have to upgrade for a while. i came up with this while i was surfing new egg, i have a budget of $2000 but honestly i wouldn't mind making it for around $1500. this is what I came up with so far

any thoughts?

Couple thoughts / questions, in no particular order:

I've seen people in this thread recommend against getting XFX versions of AMD cards because the cooler is not great.

32 GB of RAM is MASSIVE overkill unless you're going to be using this computer for some pretty serious photoshop/video editing/3D modeling as well as gaming. For a pure gaming computer anything more than 8-16 GB is not necessary.

Power supply is overkill unless you are planning on going multi GPU at some point.

Why are you getting the quad core i7 with the X79 chipset? The only reason I would get an X79 motherboard is if I were planning on getting a hex-core i7 such as the 3930K. If you're going to stick with quad core you should drop down to a Z77 motherboard and a Core i7 3770k.

Also if you're planning on overclocking I would look into getting an aftermarket cooler such as the Coolermaster Hyper EVO 212.

WD Black drives are fast but they are also quite loud. If that's going to be an issue drop down to a WD Blue.

If you're going to drop $2k on a system you absolutely need to have a solid state drive as well. At least get a small 90 - 120 GB one for the OS and a few important programs.

So basically with some refinement you will have a great build, but as it stands right now I find it a bit unbalanced and overpriced.

thanks for the help, I plan on starting a website soon and I will be using photoshop and video editing quite heavily and I also plan on adding another GPU later on since I don't plan on not gaming any time soon. the processors and motherboards nowadays have me confused! back in my day amd processors were the shit, what happened? if anyone has any helping thoughts please feel free to let me know! i am open to suggestions

ArynCrinn

Banned
Just graduated from a Corsair Hydro H100i (for overclocking needs) to a Hydro 110, maybe I can get up to a stable 4.8GHz on my 2600k!!!

Also, just ordered two GTX Titans.

....Two day delivery prices blow..

mkenyon

Banned

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16811108422

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16814150665

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16813131801

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16817139011

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16820231569

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16819115229

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16833162032

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16822136533

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16827135252

any thoughts?
Couple of suggestions.

1) Swap the case out for something in the OP. The GRone isn't bad though, it's just not optimal.

2) XFX coolers are not great in comparison to the other ones. For the 7970, I'd consider grabbing a Sapphire, Powercolor, HIS, or MSI. I would mention ASUS and Gigabyte, but both of their 7970s are voltage locked.

3) Get a Seasonic X series PSU. They're liquidating the 'Gold' X psu's to make room for the new SKU. Both are pretty much the same thing, and without a doubt the best PSU's in the business. This is $10 less and a much better option. Plenty of power for future upgrades.

4) Get something like GSkill Ripjaws at 1866 or 2133. You need some overhead on RAM to properly clock the 3820, as the memory and CPU speed are both increased when you increase your BCLK strap. 16GB is plenty. If you aren't picky on color, this is what you'd want.

5) About the 3820. Know that overclocking it is not the simple task that it has become in the last few years. Also know that clock for clock, the 3820 is outpaced by the 3770K, and will be even more behind Haswell when it releases in two months. The upshot is that you will have the ability to drop in upgrade to Ivy-E when it releases this September.

6) Get powerline adapters if you are planning on online gaming. Wireless sucks for it unless you do a ton of research and can set things up just right.

7) Get a solid state drive.

7) Do you really need a DVD drive?

Proposed edited cart:

ArynCrinn

Banned
wat??????

your going to max out BF4 aren't you?O_O

Maxing out everything, baby!

Their replacing my current GTX 690's, which I'll be swapping to another unit. My 2500k 4.5GHz PC.

I seriously need to stop with the PC building shit, MAJOR expense and time sink, and what I have now would last me at least 5 years.

On that note, here's the new monitor I'm looking at: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236313&IsVirtualParent=1

Good deal, bad deal or any recommendations?

Pavaloo

So I just bought another SSD today to finally install OSX on. Two drives, two OSes, should be bliss. I even rewired everything inside the case properly so it's all neat and full of room for air flow! It's pretty awesome, I'm so proud as a noobie lol.

Running into problems, or should I say problem, for installing OSX though -_- . I disconnected all the drives except the sata for the SSD, but every time I try to boot Unibeast it goes straight into the same dos screen:
"boot0: GPT
boot0: test
boot0: test
boot0: done_"

Blegh, it won't even freaking boot into the installer I have tried myHack as well, I have no idea what to do. Every time I try and google the error I get results for the fix for when this happens AFTER you install. Anything else is "try a different flash drive," and so I bought a whole notha flash drive, but get the same results.

I'm running in circles.

M3z_

Maxing out everything, baby!

Their replacing my current GTX 690's, which I'll be swapping to another unit. My 2500k 4.5GHz PC.

I seriously need to stop with the PC building shit, MAJOR expense and time sink, and what I have now would last me at least 5 years.

On that note, here's the new monitor I'm looking at: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236313&IsVirtualParent=1

Good deal, bad deal or any recommendations?

Pretty sure that is considered to be the premiere 120/144hz monitor on the market.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom