• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 1. Haswell, Crysis 3, and secret fairy sauce. Read da OP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smash88

Banned
This confuses me with the rumored prices today. If the 780 is $650, wouldn't the 770 be around $500-$550 if they are following previous price models? If it was $400, that would be a huge jump from $400 to $650 for the 780. I guess we will see tomorrow.

No, because the GTX 770 is really a GTX 680 rebranded and a tad more powerful. It really makes sense to be that cheap.

No, because the GTX 770 is really a GTX 680 rebranded and a tad more powerful. It really makes sense to be that cheap.

True, I am just wondering why such a huge gap then of $250 between the two cards? Granted I know there will be a few different version of the 770 like FTW, FTW Sig 2, etc. that will close the price gap.

nbthedude

That's why I argue against future proofing with an unnecessary PSU. Everything is moving towards lower power.

Also, this also brings up the hidden costs of SLI:
at least +$50 extra for the mobo
at least +$30 extra for the PSU
at least +$20 for a larger case (we're talking barebones -> ATX)
increased heat, noise, and fans
not every game supports it

That $100 could go towards a better single GPU solution which would improve all aspects of your gaming.

I'm on your side in terms of dual card set ups. For anyone remotely budget conscious and anyone outside of people who really like to tinker with their systems alot, Crossfire and SLI can fuck off.

I ditched my dual card set up last year and it was the best thing I ever did. My system is so much quiter and runs so much cooler now. And I no longer get random hick ups while using MS Word or have to tinker with settings for new games because they don't have support for Cross Fire yet.

I'd be willing to bet that a lot of the general headaches people have with PC gaming in general are related to people with dual card set ups. They are a pain in the ass. You can call me someone with bitter ex-wife syndrome. I prefer to just consider myself happily divorced. :)

Sothpaw

Alright so I am convinced that it's finally time to build a pc. I have never done it, but watching several youtube vids it doesn't seem so bad.

Question is: With Haswell coming soon, will some/most of the stuff in the op become obsolete? I understand that Haswell will need a new type of motherboard correct? Any other parts I should wait on to ensure Haswell compatibility?

kharma45

Alright so I am convinced that it's finally time to build a pc. I have never done it, but watching several youtube vids it doesn't seem so bad.

Question is: With Haswell coming soon, will some/most of the stuff in the op become obsolete? I understand that Haswell will need a new type of motherboard correct? Any other parts I should wait on to ensure Haswell compatibility?

Just the motherboard and CPU is all that will change from the OP.

nbthedude

Nope, motherboard is the only concern. You just need a socket 1150 instead of a 1155.

Everything else, including RAM, Harddrive, powersupply, videocard is all the same.

Sothpaw

Awesome, thanks for the quick responses guys. I think as soon as the 770/760 comes out along with Haswell and a compatible mobo I'm good to go.

Oh one more thing...any idea if I might run into any problems with a Haswell mobo fitting into some of the cases listed in the op? Or should the overall shape/size of the new Haswell mobos remain the same to current mobos?

Addnan

Awesome, thanks for the quick responses guys. I think as soon as the 770/760 comes out along with Haswell and a compatible mobo I'm good to go.

Oh one more thing...any idea if I might run into any problems with a Haswell mobo fitting into some of the cases listed in the op? Or should the overall shape/size of the new Haswell mobos remain the same to current mobos?

No, motherboards have a standard size.

nbthedude

Nope. Just make sure you get a mid or a full tower ATX case. The only ones that would be a problem is the mini-ATX ones.

All the ones listed in the OP are mid towers or full towers so no problem with any of them.

Sothpaw

Great. Pretty excited about getting this all started. I'll post a draft of my build once the Haswell stuff is out and hopefully you guys can give it the approval.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Depending on upgrading my 128GB M4 to a large drive for boot. I've been running it on my current PC for about six months now and sill have 30 gigs free without even trying. But with a new PC... don't want to have to worry about space...

Smokey

I'm on your side in terms of dual card set ups. For anyone remotely budget conscious and anyone outside of people who really like to tinker with their systems alot, Crossfire and SLI can fuck off.

I ditched my dual card set up last year and it was the best thing I ever did. My system is so much quiter and runs so much cooler now. And I no longer get random hick ups while using MS Word or have to tinker with settings for new games because they don't have support for Cross Fire yet.

I'd be willing to bet that a lot of the general headaches people have with PC gaming in general are related to people with dual card set ups. They are a pain in the ass. You can call me someone with bitter ex-wife syndrome. I prefer to just consider myself happily divorced. :)

My Titans idle at 34 and 37 degrees Celsius so whatrusayingtho. In general I agree but SLI is a necessary evil for high end setups with great frames.

Sounds like you were once a lover of crossfire and just went through a divorce. Grass is greener on dat nvidia side bruh :p

My Titans idle at 34 and 37 degrees Celsius so whatrusayingtho. In general I agree but SLI is a necessary evil for high end setups with great frames.

Sounds like you were once a lover of crossfire and just went through a divorce. Grass is greener on dat nvidia side bruh :p

Greener, but you're still eating grass.

I too have learned to dislike multicard setups and all I've ever done with them is nvidia. Course I'm not a top of the top end kinda guy anymore, where that kind of stuff becomes necessary.

Only problem I have now is finding good looking cases that don't look cavernous with only one video card and nothing else in the other pci-e slots.

Smokey

Greener, but you're still eating grass.

I too have learned to dislike multicard setups and all I've ever done with them is nvidia. Course I'm not a top of the top end kinda guy anymore, where that kind of stuff becomes necessary.

Only problem I have now is finding good looking cases that don't look cavernous with only one video card and nothing else in the other pci-e slots.

The ft02 looks good with anything

mkenyon

Banned
Nice. Heatsink only though, it makes weird noises and vibrations when it's fairly unrestricted.

*edit*

Oman, XPower is backlit.

900x900px-LL-3872497f_Z87-XPower-Glow.jpeg

The ft02 looks good with anything

That's for damn sure. Only problem with that is the rotated motherboard tray witch limits GPU options. Or rather I've read that since I have no experience testing different style GPU heatsyncs on it, so don't know for sure.

Always found it funny that the old Raven case had basically the same inside as the FT02, but just a way uglier outside. It's like silverstone knew that people would pay the premium for just the better looking case.

Sounds like you need an ITX board.

I go back and forth between picking an itx or m-atx board for my next build. Even if I don't plan on using a second gpu, the option is always nice. May just toss a small one in for physx or something. Gotta make my pick soon though since haswell is just around the corner now.

Dave_6

What is the deal with BF3's controller support, or lack there of? It has options in the menu for a controller but half of the 'prompts' don't work, in MP or SP. It's not easy to play this on the couch with a KBM so maybe I shouldn't play it at all...

What is the deal with BF3's controller support, or lack there of? It has options in the menu for a controller but half of the 'prompts' don't work, in MP or SP. It's not easy to play this on the couch with a KBM so maybe I shouldn't play it at all...

The controller is fully map-able, but the prompts are for kb/m. Not a biggie. You can't set run to "click," though, so I'd map it to a shoulder bumper.

Could go mATX with the Silverstone SG10. It's smaller than some ITX cases.

I really don't need or want something super small for the sake of being small. Just something a little smaller then the mid sized atx cases. Why I was really excited about the 350d until I saw how few full sized hard drive bays there were and the shitty top. Would have been better off just getting a TJ08B-E, but then again there is a lot on that case that seems to be small for the sake of small. Luckily there is always the Fractal cases.

Not like any of this matters since I'm sure I'll just go with a full atx board and case in the end. Much easier to find a good looking one with all the stuff I want. Especially when the only downside is "looking empty because of to much room". Got to quit over thinking this shit.

Smokey

That's for damn sure. Only problem with that is the rotated motherboard tray witch limits GPU options. Or rather I've read that since I have no experience testing different style GPU heatsyncs on it, so don't know for sure.

Always found it funny that the old Raven case had basically the same inside as the FT02, but just a way uglier outside. It's like silverstone knew that people would pay the premium for just the better looking case.

Right. The types of GPUs you're talking about are those with fans that exhaust air into the case. Here's a pic of my old setup with my Lightning XE 580s:

I got terrible temps with these style of GPUs and Silverstone doesn't recommend these types be used with the case. You can see the heat pipes on the cards. They don't function properly when at a 90 degree angle. Of course I found this out afterwards.

My current setup with these types of blowers are better:

They exhaust the hot air from the GPU to the top of the case. The 3 fans at the bottom are also pushing air up and out so it's a perfect match. With the other cards air was getting dumped into the case while the 180mms fans were trying to blow it out. Not a good combo at all.

Garou

Not really. There is even a chance that the motherboard won't work with that processor out of the box if it has an older BIOS version.

The respective Bios-Updates have been out for over a year and have surely made their way into the retail-channel. Plus, what are the chances of a retail-chain to make a bundle that is incompatible with itself???

kennah

The respective Bios-Updates have been out for over a year and have surely made their way into the retail-channel. Plus, what are the chances of a retail-chain to make a bundle that is incompatible with itself???
I'm not a very trusting person.

Kind of a weird question, but will I be able to closely max out games like Far Cry 3 with a 7950?

I just want to know where to set my expectation so I don't feel let down even though whatever I get will be a major improvement.

mkenyon

Banned
Kind of a weird question, but will I be able to closely max out games like Far Cry 3 with a 7950?

I just want to know where to set my expectation so I don't feel let down even though whatever I get will be a major improvement.
The processor matters a lot for that game as well, so, tough to say.

Courage

Max out can be subjective. You talking about 1080p60fps?

If yes, then you should with a decent processor.

nbthedude

I have a buddy that has a i53570 and a Radeon 7950 w/ Boost.

He runs it on his TV at 1080 at 60fps with almost all settings maxed except a few turned down a notch to "high." Everything is either on either "high" or "ultra." And honesty, you are going to have a hard time telling the different between "high" and "ultra," in any given setting though.

If you want a rock solid experience with it out tinkering that runs great just set it to "High" and you'll be very impressed. If you like to tinker, you can customize and move most stuff to "ultra" and still get very solid performance. The 7950 Boost is an extremely capable card and that is not considering it's overclocking potential. It is the card I recommend to all my friends who are building/upgrading right now.

derder

That's not what we're talking about. What if you have a 7970, 780, or Titan and something like the BP550? How are you going to power that new triple 120hz setup or a 1600p monitor?

When you are talking premiere PCs, I think the AX760 should basically be standard. Beyond extra power, you get an amazingly well built PSU that is near guaranteed to kill your system. It will also go forward 10 years if you want to power the next four to twenty (the latter part is accounting for nut jobs like myself) systems you build.

I just showed on the previous page that you can build a Titan setup with 550W. Computers (including enthusiast builds) are trending towards lower power - even with absurd GPUs.

It's not wise to future proof with a PSU as the new c6/c7 haswell compatibility shows. The PCI-Express power cables are constantly changing, as well.

I have a 850W PSU, myself. I figured that I would eventually need it, but 2 builds later, I didn't and I may have to replace it for the c7/c6 sleepstates. We'll see. I will replace it with a 550W PSU, though.

use a Bluetooth kb/m for switching classes and menu navigation, sort of sucks but hasn't stopped me from enjoying the game and putting elitist "kb/m only" children to shame in every game.

never played singleplayer though, think I saw in a review they don't show controller button prompts for QTE's on PC...that could be annoying

metalshade

Hey guys, I am having a bit of trouble with a dual screen set-up.
I have a Gigabyte 7950 with HDMI, DVI-I, and Mini displayport2 outputs.
Currently I have my HDTV on the HDMI output, and I can't change that.
But I am looking to add a second monitor, preferably the Asus VS247H from the op.
The inputs it has are HDMI, D-Sub, and DVI-D.
I don't know which connections I can use, how to wire it up?
At the moment I've got everything on my HDTV, and it is all set up to work well at a distance with big fonts etc. However I cant play some of my older games at that distance as I cant read or see stuff clearly, so I want to set-up a monitor in front of me to use for those games whilst still comfy couching.
I am really stumped as to how I am going to run both at the same time. I don't want to clone my screen, I want to do different things on both screens at once.
Any advice guys?

(Sorry for the ramble.)

Hey guys, I am having a bit of trouble with a dual screen set-up.
I have a Gigabyte 7950 with HDMI, DVI-I, and Mini displayport2 outputs.
Currently I have my HDTV on the HDMI output, and I can't change that.
But I am looking to add a second monitor, preferably the Asus VS247H from the op.
The inputs it has are HDMI, D-Sub, and DVI-D.
I don't know which connections I can use, how to wire it up?
At the moment I've got everything on my HDTV, and it is all set up to work well at a distance with big fonts etc. However I cant play some of my older games at that distance as I cant read or see stuff clearly, so I want to set-up a monitor in front of me to use for those games whilst still comfy couching.
I am really stumped as to how I am going to run both at the same time. I don't want to clone my screen, I want to do different things on both screens at once.
Any advice guys?

(Sorry for the ramble.)

I have the same card, you can either get a dvi male to male cable or hdmi to dvi cable would work . Then set your desktop to extend in windows or catalyst control center. Then maybe try running the games windowed and drag the screen over to which screen you prefer playing in.

metalshade

I have the same card, you can either get a dvi male to male cable or hdmi to dvi cable would work . Then set your desktop to extend in windows or catalyst control center. Then maybe try running the games windowed and drag the screen over to which screen you prefer playing in.

Excellent thanks!
Does it matter that I have dvi-i on the monitor and dvi-d on the card? (They are both dual link so no issues there.)

Edit: Found a 4m minidisplayport to HDMI cable that should do the job no fuss.
Thanks for your help dude, but I figure it's easier to do it this way than worry about the other compatibilities.

Dave_6

The controller is fully map-able, but the prompts are for kb/m. Not a biggie. You can't set run to "click," though, so I'd map it to a shoulder bumper.

Ok seems to be fine with MP now that I've played it again but I get smoked by the KBM players. Oh well.

use a Bluetooth kb/m for switching classes and menu navigation, sort of sucks but hasn't stopped me from enjoying the game and putting elitist "kb/m only" children to shame in every game.

never played singleplayer though, think I saw in a review they don't show controller button prompts for QTE's on PC...that could be annoying

Yeah I use a Logitech MK550 wireless KBM when the need arises. I was only playing SP for the graphics but I don't think I'm going to finish it. No fun and I beat it on PS3 already anyways.

Foxyone

Maybe new SSDs?

Rumor is AMD 9000 is paper launched in December.

I heard about that too. Wasn't it like early last year that the 7000 series came out? A new series would be about due in December / early next year. So right after the new consoles launch though, they'll probably launch a new series of GPUs with a new 20 nm architecture?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom