• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 1. Haswell, Crysis 3, and secret fairy sauce. Read da OP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ty4on

Aside from faster loading into games, what else does an SSD offer?

Everything is faster. FPS' won't go up, but the computer starts in like 10 seconds, I can browse/search for any files without a single hiccup, I can start anything in seconds. HDD is really the only bottleneck in regular computer usage and an SSD fixes it. You don't even need defrag it so long term performance is much improved.

Even deleting files is quicker because it's so fast to see the size of the folders.

kiri

Obviously there is Akihabara for various discounts and whatnot, but is there a site bar amazon.co.jp / Rakuten that I could use to find cheap parts, or should I just trawl Yodobashi Camera?

Building a system shortly, interested in getting the Haswell chips.

Odrion

Banned
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3350P 3.1GHz Quad-Core Processor ($178.99 @ NCIX US)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 76.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($19.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock B75 PRO3 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($82.54 @ Outlet PC)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($68.30 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 840 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk (Purchased)
Case: NZXT Source 210 (White) ATX Mid Tower Case ($39.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Antec 450W ATX12V Power Supply ($39.15 @ NCIX US)
Total: $428.96
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-06-01 23:31 EDT-0400)

Whats the word on a good 1150 mobos and i5 haswells? 190 for the new i5s? That's awesome. Would it be possible/worth it to wait for them since it looks like it'll only cost 20-30 dollars more for the new stuff?

(I have no idea what I'm doing)
Not getting a videocard?

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
already have one

will buy a new one if/when I need it. I just play WoW and shit, don't need anything crazy.

Would really like to grab one of the new i5s though, just don't know which one to get/where to get it/which mobo to get.

nbthedude

Hey all! Kind of a random question, but I'll be building a new PC in the next couple of weeks and was hoping I could get a little clarification on video cards and dual monitor set-ups!

I'd like to hook my top-tier video card (still TBD - for gaming) to my main monitor and a much lower class video card (for itunes/chrome) to a secondary monitor. I don't know why, but I just have an odd feeling about this set up. Many of the dual monitor builds that I see have the same video cards for both monitors. Would I run into any complications with two different cards/have any drawbacks to my gaming experience? How low tier of a video card can I go? Thanks!
Why do you want the monitors on separate cards? Why do you want a bad card and a good one? I am confused.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Slowly but surely:

8917864048_fa3cd0c05f_c.jpg

8917865226_7d9069137e_c.jpg

nbthedude

Aside from faster loading into games, what else does an SSD offer?

Faster boot time primarily.

Honestly I think SSDs are over praised. I like mine and they are cool, but they are more of a nice luxury not an essential. They just make the OS and programs boot faster.

Most games I cannot even tell if I have it installed on my SSD or my hardrive. That is how little the gaming performance usually matters.

Lunzio

Why do you want the monitors on separate cards? Why do you want a bad card and a good one? I am confused.

My reasoning (obviously faulty in your eyes?) was so that I would not detract from strain placed on the top-tier gpu. Correct me if I'm completely wrong. I ask because I don't know.

TheD

The Detective
Hey all! Kind of a random question, but I'll be building a new PC in the next couple of weeks and was hoping I could get a little clarification on video cards and dual monitor set-ups!

I'd like to hook my top-tier video card (still TBD - for gaming) to my main monitor and a much lower class video card (for itunes/chrome) to a secondary monitor. I don't know why, but I just have an odd feeling about this set up. Many of the dual monitor builds that I see have the same video cards for both monitors. Would I run into any complications with two different cards/have any drawbacks to my gaming experience? How low tier of a video card can I go? Thanks!
Why do you want a second card when the the main card can do it fine?

nbthedude

My reasoning (obviously faulty in your eyes?) was so that I would not detract from strain placed on the top-tier gpu. Correct me if I'm completely wrong. I ask because I don't know.

I have never heard of anyone using two cards to reduce strain and which monitor you are outputting to is not determining which card is being used for apps.

In general, you want to avoid dual card set ups unless you need the extra power they provide. And you almost certainly don't want cards that are a lot different. Just go with the one good one. They have automatic low power modes when running non-taxing apps.

Lunzio

I have never heard of anyone using two cards to reduce strain and which monitor you are outputting to is not determining which card is being used for apps.

In general, you want to avoid dual card set ups unless you need the extra power they provide. And you almost certainly don't want cards that are a lot different. Just go with the one good one. They have automatic low power modes when running non-taxing apps.

Awesome! Many many thanks for the help!

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Thanks guys, I really appreciate all the compliments :)

Unfortunately, I didn't get near as far into the build as I was hoping to, today. The instructions provided by EK on installing the waterblock on a 2011 board were pretty abysmal. Baiscally breaks down installing the backplate into four different sets for all kinds of sockets. But never mentions 2011. Turns out - you can just skip the step for LGA2011 - but it doesn't really make that clear; especially because it references a rubber gasket earlier on that you end up never using.

Also spent a lot of time rinsing out my rads. Hot filtered water. Shake. Sit. Pour. Hot filtered water. Shake. Sit. Pour. Distilled water. Shake. Sit. Pour. And I now have one last fill of distilled in each and letting it sit overnight before I pour.

Hoping to install my the EK Titan block and Titan backplate tomorrow.

Still not sure what the heck I want to do with the reservoir/pump. Bout a bunch of mounting tools - but ultimately, looks like I'll have to drill on the case for the best result - really don't want to do that. Hmmm... I bought this thing that connects to a 120mm fan - I may just mount the pub/res combo to my radiator? I dunno... Anybody have a good suggestion on how to mount an EK pump/res combo?

The E-Loop fans showed up - gorgeous. Just beautiful. Great craftsmanship, great color, and an already sleeved wire. However, the red is just a bit "off" from matching since it's clear/plastic. I'm thinking I'm gonna make it so the fans are between the case and the rads, that way its the fans that are semi-visible on the outside through the grates, and on the inside all you see are the rads. Question though: Do I just use the included screws, then - the ones that came with the rads? Push thread of screw through top of case, through fans, through rad mount? I feel like that's a lot of weight.... Guess it's fine?

Still gotta figure out what I'm gonna do in regard to tubing. I bought some rigid acrylic stuff and a push fitting - gonna mess with it and see how it looks. But ultimately, I really hate the look of all the push fittings. I dunno, yet.

Pretty much all the core parts are decided on, though. Final Specs are:

ASUS Rampage IV Formula
Core i7 3820 w/ EK Supremacy
EVGA Titan w/ EK -FC Titan
16GB 2133 Corsair Vengeance
256GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD
480GB OWC Mercury Extreme 6G SSD
Seasonic X750 w/ sleeved cables
EK Res/Top combo
EK 360 and 240 XTX Radiators
6x Phobya 1600RPM E-Loop fans

Couple other quick pics:

8917863380_c5ee88d6d8_c.jpg

8917248625_d51c899e3d_c.jpg

8917251273_52bf665702_c.jpg

Must... resist... temptation

Dude, I love the case - it's sexy as hell. But for what it's worth, your Caselabs build is looking phenomenal. It's like lusting for a lambo when you already drive a Ferrari ;)

Addnan

Scan.co.uk are taking Haswell orders, 4770K is just over £40 more than the 3770K right now. 4670K £30 more than 3570K. http://www.scan.co.uk/shops/intel/4thgen

Actually I think that is just Scan being scumbags. Overclockers are selling 4770K closer to the price of 3770K. http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CP-471-IN

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/productlist.php?groupid=701&catid=6&subid=567 <Haswell comes with free copy of Grid 2.

The GD65 Gaming is up here too. http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MB-234-MS&groupid=701&catid=5&subcat=2574

mkenyon

Banned
For SSDs, why do people recommend getting the 840 pro for 128gb drive, but the non-pro for 250gb?
The issue with the standard 840s is the type of memory used. On a 120GB drive, you are looking at a 3-5 year lifespan. With the 250, it's more like 5-7. Since you are writing fewer times to the blocks (as there are more of them), then you increase the lifespan of it.

Is there any benefit to going for an expensive motherboard if you don't care for stuff like better sound, SLI/Crossfire, more USB/SATA ports, fancy colours etc?

mkenyon

Banned
Is there any benefit to going for an expensive motherboard if you don't care for stuff like better sound, SLI/Crossfire, more USB/SATA ports, fancy colours etc?
Overclocking potential, but that's less the case now with Haswell.
So for a HTPC thats also an emulation box (Dolphin and PCSX), will a Haswell i5 with only the iGPU be enough?
You'll want the one with unlocked cores for emulation, as you'll want to overclock it to get solid performance.

Or at least, that's been the standard recommendation for a few years now.

Overclocking potential, but that's less the case now with Haswell.

You'll want the one with unlocked cores for emulation, as you'll want to overclock it to get solid performance.

Or at least, that's been the standard recommendation for a few years now.
You initially said that the Gigabyte Z87X-D3H caught your eye, is that still the case? Also, what's the difference between it and the Gigabyte Z87-D3HP, all I can see is that the latter lacks SLI support?

iqubal

Banned
Well it appears my WD BLUE 1 tb is in need of a replacement. Diagnostic tests are failing with bad sectors and my pc is getting slower. So glad I was able to back everything up tonight as it gave me warning signs first lol. It is still under warranty so I'm good that way.

But I was dumb to get this as my main drive. I believe I got it on sale and thats why I took it over the WD Black. I may opt to get an SSD, but 128GB is kinda small? Thats my budget right now.

I want to use it as my OS and I play a few select games at a time.

Mad Max

Thanks guys, I really appreciate all the compliments :)

Unfortunately, I didn't get near as far into the build as I was hoping to, today. The instructions provided by EK on installing the waterblock on a 2011 board were pretty abysmal. Baiscally breaks down installing the backplate into four different sets for all kinds of sockets. But never mentions 2011. Turns out - you can just skip the step for LGA2011 - but it doesn't really make that clear; especially because it references a rubber gasket earlier on that you end up never using.

Also spent a lot of time rinsing out my rads. Hot filtered water. Shake. Sit. Pour. Hot filtered water. Shake. Sit. Pour. Distilled water. Shake. Sit. Pour. And I now have one last fill of distilled in each and letting it sit overnight before I pour.

Hoping to install my the EK Titan block and Titan backplate tomorrow.

Still not sure what the heck I want to do with the reservoir/pump. Bout a bunch of mounting tools - but ultimately, looks like I'll have to drill on the case for the best result - really don't want to do that. Hmmm... I bought this thing that connects to a 120mm fan - I may just mount the pub/res combo to my radiator? I dunno... Anybody have a good suggestion on how to mount an EK pump/res combo?

The E-Loop fans showed up - gorgeous. Just beautiful. Great craftsmanship, great color, and an already sleeved wire. However, the red is just a bit "off" from matching since it's clear/plastic. I'm thinking I'm gonna make it so the fans are between the case and the rads, that way its the fans that are semi-visible on the outside through the grates, and on the inside all you see are the rads. Question though: Do I just use the included screws, then - the ones that came with the rads? Push thread of screw through top of case, through fans, through rad mount? I feel like that's a lot of weight.... Guess it's fine?

Still gotta figure out what I'm gonna do in regard to tubing. I bought some rigid acrylic stuff and a push fitting - gonna mess with it and see how it looks. But ultimately, I really hate the look of all the push fittings. I dunno, yet.

Pretty much all the core parts are decided on, though. Final Specs are:

ASUS Rampage IV Formula
Core i7 3820 w/ EK Supremacy
EVGA Titan w/ EK -FC Titan
16GB 2133 Corsair Vengeance
256GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD
480GB OWC Mercury Extreme 6G SSD
Seasonic X750 w/ sleeved cables
EK Res/Top combo
EK 360 and 240 XTX Radiators
6x Phobya 1600RPM E-Loop fans

Couple other quick pics:

8917863380_c5ee88d6d8_c.jpg

8917248625_d51c899e3d_c.jpg

8917251273_52bf665702_c.jpg

Dude, I love the case - it's sexy as hell. But for what it's worth, your Caselabs build is looking phenomenal. It's like lusting for a lambo when you already drive a Ferrari ;)

Looking good!

I think the instructions about the gasket are for when you want to change the jet plate that's inside the block, as there are a few different types.

And you should be able to mount those rads to the fans just fine using the included screws, fans can generally handle it. My front 240mm ut60 is also mounted to my GT AP15's and it's sturdy as hell. Just make sure the screws are not too long, or you'll destroy some channels on the rad.

LordAlu

Scan.co.uk are taking Haswell orders, 4770K is just over £40 more than the 3770K right now. 4670K £30 more than 3570K. http://www.scan.co.uk/shops/intel/4thgen

Actually I think that is just Scan being scumbags. Overclockers are selling 4770K closer to the price of 3770K. http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CP-471-IN

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/productlist.php?groupid=701&catid=6&subid=567 <Haswell comes with free copy of Grid 2.

The GD65 Gaming is up here too. http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MB-234-MS&groupid=701&catid=5&subcat=2574
Those Scan prices are about right. Not quite sure how Overclockers have got Haswell chips so cheap though.

GHG

Gold Member

My god prices for high end components in the uk have got insane over the last 6 months. £600 for a 780, £300 for a new i7.... Its just nuts. Its difficult to even get a bargain in the mid-range these days as well.

I'm just glad I did my build at the end of last year and didn't wait until the new year to see how things panned out. It was much cheaper to do the build I did then than in would be if i tried to do exactly the same build now 6 months later. Madness. Anyone know the reason for this? Why has pricing in the UK gotten do out of hand of late?

MedIC86

ugh, the msi z87 gaming mobo is a bit more expensive then i hoped 194E atm :(

Also does anyone know what the difference between the G45 & GD65 is?

mkenyon

Banned
What do folks think about an mATX board as the standard recommendation?

ASRock Z87M Extreme4 and Gigabyte Z87M-D3H are looking like the best buys right now.

If I were to upgrade any of my components within the next tweleve months, which would it be? I'm thinking the Video Card: http://us.msi.com/product/vga/N680GTX-Twin-Frozr-2GD5-OC-.html (I only use one monitor at 1080p)

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Corsair H60 54.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler
Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-I Deluxe Mini ITX LGA1155 Motherboard
Memory: Samsung 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
Storage: Crucial M4 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 680 2GB Video Card
Case: BitFenix Prodigy (Black) Mini ITX Tower Case
Case Fan: BitFenix Spectre Pro 156.3 CFM 230mm Fan
Case Fan: Scythe Gentle Typhoon 120mm Japan Servo Double Ball Bearing Case Fan 1850RPM 28DBA 58.3CFM
Case Fan: Scythe Gentle Typhoon 120mm Japan Servo Double Ball Bearing Case Fan 1850RPM 28DBA 58.3CFM
Power Supply: SeaSonic G 550W 80 PLUS Gold Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply

MedIC86

ASRock Z87M Extreme4 and Gigabyte Z87M-D3H are looking like the best buys right now.

Is the distance between the slots different on an mATX ? if so some bigger coolers probarly wont fit.

mkenyon

Banned
Is the distance between the slots different on an mATX ? if so some bigger coolers probarly wont fit.
The standard build wouldn't be designed for dual cards. That's more the enthusiast side of things.
If I were to upgrade any of my components within the next tweleve months, which would it be? I'm thinking the Video Card: http://us.msi.com/product/vga/N680GTX-Twin-Frozr-2GD5-OC-.html (I only use one monitor at 1080p)

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Corsair H60 54.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler
Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-I Deluxe Mini ITX LGA1155 Motherboard
Memory: Samsung 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
Storage: Crucial M4 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 680 2GB Video Card
Case: BitFenix Prodigy (Black) Mini ITX Tower Case
Case Fan: BitFenix Spectre Pro 156.3 CFM 230mm Fan
Power Supply: SeaSonic G 550W 80 PLUS Gold Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply
Did you use the SFF guide for this? If not, I like your taste.

But to answer your question, there's isn't really much of anything to upgrade there.

GHG

Gold Member

I'd wait for the 1150 gigabyte sniper m3 to come if I were you. Judging by the 1155 version (which i have and can vouch for) it should be unmatched in terms of feature-set when it comes out.

mkenyon

Banned
D3H has 4 phases, scratch that off the list. UD3H has 8.

I'd wait for the 1150 gigabyte sniper m3 to come if I were you. Judging by the 1155 version (which i have and can vouch for) it should be unmatched in terms of feature-set when it comes out.
It's out, and there's even a review of it.

It is called the M5 this time around though, and it's priced at $200, which is way too high for a standard build.

The standard build wouldn't be designed for dual cards. That's more the enthusiast side of things.

Did you use the SFF guide for this? If not, I like your taste.

But to answer your question, there's isn't really much of anything to upgrade there.

I did. I even thanked you in my build complete post. thanks again <3 <3 <3

GHG

Gold Member

Sorry if this ends up a double post but im on my mobile and cant easily edit this into my previous post. He could mean the ram slots? I have a larger air cooler on my matx board and it covers the 1st 2 ram slots. It has enough clearance mind, but i have to use low-profile ram, if not it wouldn't fit.

mkenyon

Banned
I did. I even thanked you in my build complete post. thanks again <3 <3 <3
Sorry! Hard to remember so many names.

Build is super solid though. The 680 will be the only part worth upgrading, but we are a loooooong ways off from that. The 770 is the same card with higher clock speeds.

Sorry! Hard to remember so many names.

Build is super solid though. The 680 will be the only part worth upgrading, but we are a loooooong ways off from that. The 770 is the same card with higher clock speeds.

It's alright it was like two months ago when I lost posted in this thread. I want to save up for a titan/mini-titan but whenever I see any amount of money saved up I have to spend it. I do get the occasional screen tearing on some games when I run them at max settings w/o v-sync; but I think that's because I haven't bothered to OC my CPU yet (i'm just too lazy to do some things).

mkenyon

Banned
Oh yeah, everything is up on Newegg too. That's where I've been judging prices.

I can't believe how expensive these motherboards are. It's like everything got a $40 price hike from Z77 MSRP.

Kind of gross.

At this point, I'd almost say the best buy is X79 with a 3820.

Mad Max

Oh yeah, everything is up on Newegg too. That's where I've been judging prices.

I can't believe how expensive these motherboards are. It's like everything got a $40 price hike from Z77 MSRP.

Kind of gross.

At this point, I'd almost say the best buy is X79 with a 3820.

The good X79 boards are even more expensive though, and you kind of need one if you're going to overclock a non K cpu. Still the high end Z87 boards kind of take the cake when it comes to pricing. When ordering my mobo yesterday I briefly looked at the MSI Xpower and GB OC Force and they where about ~€500, which makes the ROG x79 boards look cheap in comparison.

Waiting to see microcenter prices and deals. And hope they do what they did when trying to get rid of Sandy and start selling Ivy even cheaper.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom