• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 1. Haswell, Crysis 3, and secret fairy sauce. Read da OP

Status
Not open for further replies.

usea

So, still waiting to execute on my build. Here's the build as it stands now. Any thoughts? I'm not sure on the motherboard. I just went with one that seemed to have good reviews. It doesn't support 1866 ram speed, but that ram is the same price as 1600 so I figured why not. That shouldn't be a problem right?

I still don't know what monitors to get. I'd like at least 24" that is both good for gaming and color reproduction. IPS would be nice, but I don't know what else is out there these days. Ghosting and input lag would drive me up the wall, so if I had to I'd get a TN but I'd rather not.

The haswell cpus are a let down and the motherboards are bad right? Is that the gist? I should just get a 3770?

Waiting to see microcenter prices and deals. And hope they do what they did when trying to get rid of Sandy and start selling Ivy even cheaper.
They're selling the i7 3770K for $230. Unfortunately there aren't any of those stores around here.

Addnan

So, still waiting to execute on my build. Here's the build as it stands now. Any thoughts? I'm not sure on the motherboard. I just went with one that seemed to have good reviews. It doesn't support 1866 ram speed, but that ram is the same price as 1600 so I figured why not. That shouldn't be a problem right?

I still don't know what monitors to get. I'd like at least 24" that is both good for gaming and color reproduction. IPS would be nice, but I don't know what else is out there these days. Ghosting and input lag would drive me up the wall, so if I had to I'd get a TN but I'd rather not.

The haswell cpus are a let down and the motherboards are bad right? Is that the gist? I should just get a 3770?

They're selling the i7 3770K for $230. Unfortunately there aren't any of those stores around here.
Any reason you have 32GB 1866 of RAM? Just get normal 1600 ram. I would also suggest 16GB at most. Will save you a chunk. I would still get Haswell over Ivy if I was buying now. get the 4770K and Extreme 4 or GD65 gaming with the money saved from the ram.

N/M.

usea

Any reason you have 32GB 1866 of RAM? Just get normal 1600 ram. I would also suggest 16GB at most. Will save you a chunk. I would still get Haswell over Ivy if I was buying now. get the 4770K and Extreme 4 or GD65 gaming will the money saved from the ram.
1600 and 1866 ram are the same price. Any reason I should drop to the lower speed?

I definitely want 32gb. I guess I should have specified. It's the point of the build. I do a lot of development, run servers and VMs, and sometimes processing large data sets. The ram is important to me.

Why are you getting a $50 CPU cooler when you're not planning to OC?
That's a case :p

Addnan

1600 and 1866 ram are the same price. Any reason I should drop to the lower speed?

I definitely want 32gb. I guess I should have specified. It's the point of the build. I do a lot of development, run servers and VMs, and sometimes processing large data sets. The ram is important to me.

Yeah, I just read about the pricing, missed it at first.

That's a case :p
That's what I get for just skimming it in between searching for motherboards.

Anyone got a tut for OCing memory other than the one in the OP?I've never OCed ram before (came from the land of the laptops). I tried doing the basic "change ram clock speed" to 2133MHz in the mobo bios but it fails. I have also tried fiddling with the timings but alas nothing. So right now my ram is running at 1333HMz.

Dunno if this matters but my ram is a Kingston HyperX Beast 32 GB 2133MHz kit and mobo is a Rampage IV Formula.

Thanks in advance for helping out this newbie :)

kharma45

Scan.co.uk are taking Haswell orders, 4770K is just over £40 more than the 3770K right now. 4670K £30 more than 3570K. http://www.scan.co.uk/shops/intel/4thgen

Actually I think that is just Scan being scumbags. Overclockers are selling 4770K closer to the price of 3770K. http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CP-471-IN

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/productlist.php?groupid=701&catid=6&subid=567 <Haswell comes with free copy of Grid 2.

The GD65 Gaming is up here too. http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MB-234-MS&groupid=701&catid=5&subcat=2574

Scan are bound to bring the prices down once everyone else puts theirs live.

Chinbo37

I just wanted to come in and thank the OP and others throughout this thread.

I havent done any PC gaming for years, more than a decade really. I last built my own PC back in 1999 if I remember correctly. Since then I was mostly a console gamer. I decided I wanted to build a gaming/media PC and I somehow found NEOGAF and this thread. I read everything and ended up basing my build off of the 1300 model on the first page.

I have:

NZXT Switch 810 gunmetal case
MSI MPOWER Mobo
i7 3770k processor
GTX 680 EVGA
HX850 Corsair PSU
Samsung 840 SSD
WD 1TB Green HDD
Samsung RW DVD Drive
16 Gig DDR3 Ram
WIndows 7 professional 64 bit
Couple of extra 140 mm fans

I watched a couple of tutorials and put it together a couple of weeks ago. Took me about a day because I am slow and I thought about cable management a lot. But it was super easy. I also have a EVO 212 Heatsink which I have not installed. I am currently using the intel heatsink which is doing a fine job as I have not yet tried any overclocking which I will try soon.

Games look amazing and I am going to set up next XBMC as my media front end.

Thanks again to all the Gafers who helped out and I am glad I found this website, the best forum for console and PC gaming hands down.

dsc08085y.jpg

Addnan

I just wanted to come in and thank the OP and others throughout this thread.

I havent done any PC gaming for years, more than a decade really. I last built my own PC back in 1999 if I remember correctly. Since then I was mostly a console gamer. I decided I wanted to build a gaming/media PC and I somehow found NEOGAF and this thread. I read everything and ended up basing my build off of the 1300 model on the first page.

I have:

NZXT Switch 810 gunmetal case
MSI MPOWER Mobo
i7 3770k processor
GTX 680 EVGA
HX750 Corsair PSU
Samsung 840 SSD
WD 1TB Green HDD
Samsung RW DVD Drive
WIndows 7 professional 64 bit
Couple of extra 140 mm fans

I watched a couple of tutorials and put it together a couple of weeks ago. Took me about a day because I am slow and I thought about cable management a lot. But it was super easy. I also have a EVO 212 Heatsink which I have not installed. I am currently using the intel heatsink which is doing a fine job as I have not yet tried any overclocking which I will try soon.

Games look amazing and I am going to set up next XBMC as my media front end.

Thanks again to all the Gafers who helped out and I am glad I found this website, the best forum for console and PC gaming hands down.

dsc08085y.jpg
Looks great!

Install that cooler you have :) it's really easy to get it to 4.3ghz with minimal tweaking. Can go higher too. Free performance!

SpyGuy239

Can someone enlighten me on this that's been bugging me awhile:

If you're purely gaming, is there any real difference to be noticed in the performance of the K CPUs between an i5 and i7?

I know in the benchmarks the i7 is slightly better, the i7 has 8 threads vs the i5s 4, but in gaming is that performance difference noticeable?

And in the future, will 8 threads be better than 4?

Addnan

Can someone enlighten me on this that's been bugging me awhile:

If you're purely gaming, is there any real difference to be noticed in the performance of the K CPUs between an i5 and i7?

I know in the benchmarks the i7 is slightly better, the i7 has 8 threads vs the i5s 4, but in gaming is that performance difference noticeable?

And in the future, will 8 threads be better than 4?
Right now, the i5 is probably still the way to go, but there is no way to really know if more games will start to take advantage of the extra threads of the i7.

Salaadin

So tempted to grab the z87 MD65 and a 4770k vut these early Haswell reports have me holding back. Kind of upsetting when Ive been waiting for Haswell to launch.

Chinbo37

Looks great!

Install that cooler you have :) it's really easy to get it to 4.3ghz with minimal tweaking. Can go higher too. Free performance!

THanks, Here is another picture (smaller one)

dsc08070f.jpg

Ill install that heatsink soon. Its just that I never OCed before and I read a lot about it but still not exactly sure what to do. My MOBO has a dummy OC mode that can go to 3.9 with just a press of a button, but ya I woudl like to go to 4.4/4.5 which is fine for me.

Can anyone help me with spoiler tags? I wanted to edit my post to put that pic in a spoiler tag as it is big, i put [*spoiler][*/spoiler] without the * of course, and it doesnt seem to be working...

Addnan

THanks, Here is another picture (smaller one)

http://img837.imageshack.us/img837/3378/dsc08070f.jpg[/MG]

Ill install that heatsink soon. Its just that I never OCed before and I read a lot about it but still not exactly sure what to do. My MOBO has a dummy OC mode that can go to 3.9 with just a press of a button, but ya I woudl like to go to 4.4/4.5 which is fine for me.

Can anyone help me with spoiler tags? I wanted to edit my post to put that pic in a spoiler tag as it is big, i put [*spoiler][*/spoiler] without the * of course, and it doesnt seem to be working...[/QUOTE]
If you need help with OC, lots of people here will be more than happy to help.

Regarding the images, you can't do that here. Just put them inside quote tags and it will resize them.

Chinbo37

Ok great, thank you. Ill come back to this post when I am ready.

Its is just that with other MOBOS i found step by step OC guides but havent found that exactly for the MSI MPOWER.

How is the motherboard search going for those of you who are jumping into Haswell early on? I'm interested in seeing what others have purchased or are considering purchasing. I've "settled" on about five different ones in the past 24 hours. Currently I have the Gigabyte Z87X-D3H as my favorite, partly based on this review of the slightly different Z87X-UD3H.

Spookie

Guys I'm looking for a new monitor. I've got the money for the ASUS VG248QE but I'm worried about how shitty the quality will be. I want to be rid of ghosting on my existing ASUS but I don't want a monitor which will completely sacrifice image quality.

I'm not sure what to do. :/

How is the motherboard search going for those of you who are jumping into Haswell early on? I'm interested in seeing what others have purchased or are considering purchasing. I've "settled" on about five different ones in the past 24 hours. Currently I have the Gigabyte Z87X-D3H as my favorite, partly based on this review of the slightly different Z87X-UD3H.
That's the one that's caught my eye but the lower model Z87- D3HP is £15 cheaper and comes with a free £35 CPU cooler so it is slightly difficult to justify the extra for the Z87X-D3H.

Salaadin

Shopping around trying to make up my mind about Haswell. Im eyeing the MSI Z87 GD65 and a 4770k.

One question. Im buying the Hyper 212 EVO HSF but am concerned if it will get in the way of my RAM? I typically like the low profile RAM but the stuff I want (GSkill, Corsair) arent listed on the MSI website as being compatible yet...only the RAM with those odd, large heatsinks are on there so far.

kharma45

Shopping around trying to make up my mind about Haswell. Im eyeing the MSI Z87 GD65 and a 4770k.

One question. Im buying the Hyper 212 EVO HSF but am concerned if it will get in the way of my RAM? I typically like the low profile RAM but the stuff I want (GSkill, Corsair) arent listed on the MSI website as being compatible yet...only the RAM with those odd, large heatsinks are on there so far.

Any DDR3 desktop RAM will work with Haswell, and the 212 Evo will be fine.

Okay, so my motherboard choice is still up in the air(I added the one Courage mentioned based on his comment that someone else said it got a good review).

How does my build look?

CPU: 4770K
GPU: 7950 w/ bosst
PSU: M12II 650
RAM: Vengeance LP 16GB(I have a bad habit of leaving things open, so thats why I'm going with 16 and not 8)
Motherboard: Z87-GD65
Cooler: EVO
SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 128(I might move to 250, but I don't think I need all that with a 2TB HDD)
HDD: WD Green 2TB
Case: Switch 810

I definitely want to do some OC. I'm going to be using this mainly for gaming and development.

Am I missing something?

Salaadin

Any DDR3 desktop RAM will work with Haswell, and the 212 Evo will be fine.

Thanks. Probably going to add 8GB Corsair Vengeance LP then to price this thing out.

Any thoughts on this? Its not final.

Case: Fractal R4
Mobo: MSI Z87 GD65
CPU: Intel 4770k (Hyper 212 EVO HSF)
GPU: GTX660ti (Pulling from my current build)
RAM: 8GBs Corsair Vengance LP
SSD: Samsung 830
HDD: 1.5 TB WD Black

Main uses will be gaming and video encoding. Hoping to make this thing last 4+ years, aside from the GPU. Will be doing some overclocking.

Lastly, do new CPU/mobo launches typically sell out or is there a good chance everyone will still have stock in a week or two?

kharma45

Okay, so my motherboard choice is still up in the air(I added the one Courage mentioned based on his comment that someone else said it got a good review).

How does my build look?

RAM: Vengeance LP 16GB(I have a bad habit of leaving things open, so thats why I'm going with 16 and not 8)
SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 128(I might move to 256, but I don't think I need all that with a 2TB HDD)

I definitely want to do some OC. I'm going to be using this mainly for gaming and development.

Am I missing something?

For the price of that 840 Pro you could probably get a 250GB 840. How much is that PSU costing you?

Thanks. Probably going to add 8GB Corsair Vengeance LP then to price this thing out.

Any thoughts on this? Its not final.

Case: Fractal R4
Mobo: MSI Z87 GD65
CPU: Intel 4770k (Hyper 212 EVO HSF)
GPU: GTX660ti (Pulling from my current build)
RAM: 8GBs Corsair Vengance LP
SSD: Samsung 830
HDD: 1.5 TB WD Black

Main uses will be gaming and video encoding. Hoping to make this thing last 4+ years, aside from the GPU. Will be doing some overclocking.

Lastly, do new CPU/mobo launches typically sell out or is there a good chance everyone will still have stock in a week or two?

All looks good.

kharma45

The PSU is $89 right now on Newegg.

Is there a major difference between the 840 Pro and non Pro?

840 Pro is a bit faster and has a better lifespan but the non Pro is still fast enough (you'll not notice the difference day to day) and is still rated to last at least 7 years if not more. I'd go for the higher capacity every time.

Swap that PSU to this http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00918MEZG/?tag=neogaf0e-20 Newegg do it for the same price if you prefer them.

Ty4on

The PSU is $89 right now on Newegg.

Is there a major difference between the 840 Pro and non Pro?

Pro is faster and uses MLC flash while the regular 840 uses TLC. MLC is more expensive, but has a bigger lifespan. When you increase capacity though lifespan also increases.
If you write 10GB a day a 128GB 840 Pro should last 35 years while a 250GB 840 should last 23 years. Half if you write 20, a third if you write 30 etc etc...

There's a limited number of times you can write onto flash memory and TLC squeezes more memory into the same space. Bigger capacities increase lifespan because modern SSDs are clever enough to spread the data to evenly spread the wear.

nbthedude

How does my build look?

SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 128(I might move to 250, but I don't think I need all that with a 2TB HDD)

Am I missing something?

Very nice build. This is about what i'd go for if I was building s new system right now from scratch just with less storage and less RAM because I'm frugal. :)

Salaadin

Browsing forums, I came across some 3 year old info that suggests you have to install Intels AHCI drivers before you install Windows if you have an SSD. Is this necessary or is whatever Windows installs good enough?

840 Pro is a bit faster and has a better lifespan but the non Pro is still fast enough (you'll not notice the difference day to day) and is still rated to last at least 7 years if not more. I'd go for the higher capacity every time.

Swap that PSU to this http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00918MEZG/?tag=neogaf0e-20 Newegg do it for the same price if you prefer them.

Pro is faster and uses MLC flash while the regular 840 uses TLC. MLC is more expensive, but has a bigger lifespan. When you increase capacity though lifespan also increases.
If you write 10GB a day a 128GB 840 Pro should last 35 years while a 250GB 840 should last 23 years. Half if you write 20, a third if you write 30 etc etc...

There's a limited number of times you can write onto flash memory and TLC squeezes more memory into the same space. Bigger capacities increase lifespan because modern SSDs are clever enough to spread the data to evenly spread the wear.

Very nice build. This is about what i'd go for if I was building s new system right now from scratch just with less storage and less RAM because I'm frugal. :)

Thanks for the feedback guys! ;)

Chinbo37

Browsing forums, I came across some 3 year old info that suggests you have to install Intels AHCI drivers before you install Windows if you have an SSD. Is this necessary or is whatever Windows installs good enough?

Warning possible ignorance here -

As I understood you have to set your MOBO or something in BIOS to AHCI before you install windows with an SSD.

Read this thread:

http://www.overclock.net/t/1156654/seans-windows-7-install-optimization-guide-for-ssds-hdds

nbthedude

Holy shit, the 7970 Ghz is now $400? Did AMD drop prices to compete?

I got mine around Christmas for that price on sale at Amazon.

It is an insane, deal though for $379 with that game bundle. The game bundle alone is worth almost half the value of the card at that price.

It has been hovering around $400 since last Fall, though. That is why everyone recommends the 7900 line. AMD has been extremely aggressive in their pricing (or nVidia has been stagnant, whichever you prefer).

mkenyon

Banned
Keep in mind, the only difference between the standard and GHz edition is that they moved the sliders to the right in the OC panel.

I've heard of a very very tiny amount of cases where cards couldn't hit 1025MHz.

MikeCM87

Neo Member
Oi. Haswell doesn't seem like it's worth the upgrade. I'll stick with either 3570k or 3770k. Hopefully prices drop a bit if many people adopt Haswell.

mkenyon

Banned
Oi. Haswell doesn't seem like it's worth the upgrade. I'll stick with either 3570k or 3770k. Hopefully prices drop a bit if many people adopt Haswell.
They will only drop prices via sales and specials, getting rid of current mobo stock and the like.

Your best deals will likely come from people selling their old stuff. Speaking of which....

Anyone interested in a Z77X-UP7 and 3570K? :p

Oxn

Microcenter is selling 4770Ks for only $280, and 4670Ks for $200.

Also 40 off MOBOs.

Man I just bought their 3770K deal for 230, tempted to build my HTPC using this.

Dave_6

Slowly but surely:
8917864048_fa3cd0c05f_c.jpg

Wow that looks amazing! Can't wait to see the finished build!

Simple question; is there anyway to mount an HD in one of the optical bays in my R4? I am thinking about removing the bottom HD cage to clean up this case even more since I can mount the SSD on the back of the mobo tray.

News Bot

Banned
So with Haswell out, what would be the best processor for gaming and HD video recording/editing/encoding? Looking like either 3770K or 4770K depending on if Haswell would offer any noticeable increase on these.

Right now I'm still on a Q6600, which is bottlenecking my AMD 7970.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom