• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 1. Haswell, Crysis 3, and secret fairy sauce. Read da OP

Status
Not open for further replies.

knitoe

Nextgen and PC games better use more than 2GB of VRAM. Metro LL has all these crazy special effect, particles, lighting, physics and etc., but due to the artificial ram limit, textures need work. The more open world are pretty ugly. Not to mention the terrible texture switching from low to high res staring you right in the face.

Fill out the little form in the OP. will help understand your need better.

Ah, you mean these questions? Hope this helps! And thank you for replying!

Your Current Specs: Probably pointless to list this old, crappy laptop's specs but... Acer Aspire 5920 laptop; Intel Core 2 Duo CPU T5450 @ 1.66GHz 1.67GHz; 2GB DDR2; Mobile Intel Graphic Media Accelerator X3100
Budget: Would be great to keep below £1000. I mean, ideally, the lower the better, but open to whatever is thrown my way. Country - UK.
Main Use: Rate 1-5. 5 being Highest:
5. Light Gaming,
3. Gaming,
4. Emulation (PS2/Wii),
5. Video Editing,
4. HD Streaming,
2. 3D/Model work,
5. General Usage (Word, Web, 1080p playback).
Monitor Resolution: Would like a fairly large 1080p monitor.
List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: Thinking of going deeper into multimedia work, so needs to be able to run stuff like Photoshop, Dreamweaver, game editors like Multimedia Fusion, etc. Gaming-wise, not looking to make PC my central platform at all but running PS2/Wii/GC emulators at last would be fantastic. The option to play latest PC games would be great, but not a priority at all, since I game on PS3. If it's still affordable, though, would be really welcome.
Looking to reuse any parts?: Er, no?
When will you build?: Not desperate, so I can wait as needed. But looking to invest within the next month if possible.
Will you be overclocking?: Again... no?

Apparently Haswell is going on sale at midnight. Why would you release on a Sunday? All it means is that it will be Tuesday at the earliest before people receive their items.

kharma45

Ah, you mean these questions? Hope this helps! And thank you for replying!

Your Current Specs: Probably pointless to list this old, crappy laptop's specs but... Acer Aspire 5920 laptop; Intel Core 2 Duo CPU T5450 @ 1.66GHz 1.67GHz; 2GB DDR2; Mobile Intel Graphic Media Accelerator X3100
Budget: Would be great to keep below £1000. I mean, ideally, the lower the better, but open to whatever is thrown my way. Country - UK.
Main Use: Rate 1-5. 5 being Highest:
5. Light Gaming,
3. Gaming,
4. Emulation (PS2/Wii),
5. Video Editing,
4. HD Streaming,
2. 3D/Model work,
5. General Usage (Word, Web, 1080p playback).
Monitor Resolution: Would like a fairly large 1080p monitor.
List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: Thinking of going deeper into multimedia work, so needs to be able to run stuff like Photoshop, Dreamweaver, game editors like Multimedia Fusion, etc. Gaming-wise, not looking to make PC my central platform at all but running PS2/Wii/GC emulators at last would be fantastic. The option to play latest PC games would be great, but not a priority at all, since I game on PS3. If it's still affordable, though, would be really welcome.
Looking to reuse any parts?: Er, no?
When will you build?: Not desperate, so I can wait as needed. But looking to invest within the next month if possible.
Will you be overclocking?: Again... no?

If you want to emulate you want to overclock, they need high frequencies.

What programs are you using for your video editing? For £1000 you could get all this, just swap the Ivy Bridge stuff for Haswell. GPU is subject to change depending on what software you use.

PCPartPicker part list: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/11UkV
Price breakdown by merchant: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/11UkV/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/11UkV/benchmarks/

CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor (£244.39 @ Aria PC)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (£24.49 @ CCL Computers)
Motherboard: MSI Z77A-GD55 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard (£93.60 @ Amazon UK)
Memory: Patriot G2 Series Division 4 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 Memory (£64.99 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk (£75.96 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£50.06 @ Ebuyer)
Video Card: Club 3D Radeon HD 7870 XT 2GB Video Card (£209.65 @ Amazon UK)
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case (£75.59 @ Aria PC)
Other: Be Quiet Pure Power 530W Modular PSU (£59.99)
Other: LG IPS234V-PN.AEK PS 23 inch LED Wide Screen Monitor (£119.30)
Total: £1018.02
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-06-01 19:43 BST+0100)

mkenyon

Banned
The 780 is a bit more than twice as fast as the PS4 GPU which will not be enough to get 60FPS in all games, it will in a lot, especially the ones already running at 60FPS on consoles but the more demanding games won't.

When does Haswell go on sale? Also, when will Mkenyon and Hazaro designate the best bang for buck motherboard for us to go for?
My vote is for the D3H so far, still reading/watching stuff though.

How can you say the first part of this conclusively? Do you know something we don't, or is this entirely armchair speculation? If the latter, please do say that before going out and scaring people.

If you want to emulate you want to overclock, they need high frequencies.

What programs are you using for your video editing?

I see, I see. My ignorance doesn't do me any favours, there.

Right now, just Movie Maker while I only edit the smallest of videos. I marked a 5 for video editing to have the opportunity to use something much better on a new PC, like Sony Vegas, perhaps. At the moment, I record gameplay from the simplest of games on emulators or small Flash-type games, but to have the chance to maybe record whilst playing a PS2 emulator would be fantastic. Whether I really need a much better video editing program based around that, though, I don't know.

Edit: Oop, just saw your edit. Will give that a quick look!

kharma45

I see, I see. My ignorance doesn't do me any favours, there.

Right now, just Movie Maker while I only edit the smallest of videos. I marked a 5 for video editing to have the opportunity to use something much better on a new PC, like Sony Vegas, perhaps. At the moment, I record gameplay from the simplest of games on emulators or small Flash-type games, but to have the chance to maybe record whilst playing a PS2 emulator would be fantastic. Whether I really need a much better video editing program based around that, though, I don't know.

Edit: Oop, just saw your edit. Will give that a quick look!

WMM uses CPU only, but if you're going Vegas it's best for AMD GPUs. The current version of Premiere is Nvidia hardware accelerated but the next version will include AMD support with OpenCL.

I've actually edited again to give you more RAM instead but gone over budget. If you're looking to record gameplay a capture card would be a good investment. That will obviously affect the price though, so you might have to change a few things around.

Durante

Nextgen and PC games better use more than 2GB of VRAM. Metro LL has all these crazy special effect, particles, lighting, physics and etc., but due to the artificial ram limit, textures need work. The more open world are pretty ugly. Not to mention the terrible texture switching from low to high res staring you right in the face.
Well, thisis one of the good things about both consoles offering >4GB for developers: it's very unlikely that the PC ports would be 32 bit.

mkenyon

Banned
Kharma, you watch the OC3D reviews of the M5 and 4770K yet?

Important things to note:

1. Haswell is likely to have the same heat spreader/TIM issues as Ivy. Looks like delidding is the way to go.

2. Gigabyte UEFI/BIOS is ridiculously awesome.

floodgate

Neo Member
So from what I've been reading in this thread, reference cards are more or less the same across all manufacturers, correct? I'm waiting for the EVGA 780s to come back in stock at Amazon, but they do have the PNY & MSI 780s ready to ship right now. I'm familiar with MSI, and have never heard of PNY, but PNY does have a lifetime warranty on the card, so I'm a little torn about which to get. Any thoughts?

mkenyon

Banned
So from what I've been reading in this thread, reference cards are more or less the same across all manufacturers, correct? I'm waiting for the EVGA 780s to come back in stock at Amazon, but they do have the PNY & MSI 780s ready to ship right now. I'm familiar with MSI, and have never heard of PNY, but PNY does have a lifetime warranty on the card, so I'm a little torn about which to get. Any thoughts?
I'm not familiar with PNY's RMA system, but yeah, all reference cards are more or less identical.
whats deliddling
Removing the metal portion on the top of the processor (heat spreader), removing the TIM from the actual silicon, and replacing it with something that will transfer the heat to the heat spreader more efficiently.
What?! Where'd you read this? I mean, they can't be that dumb..........can they?
OC3D review.

It's not an issue of dumb, it's an issue of cost. It's a lot cheaper to squirt TIM in there. Beyond that, they know that enthusiasts, the very people that will want to push OC's hard, will delid.

kharma45

1. Haswell is likely to have the same heat spreader/TIM issues as Ivy. Looks like delidding is the way to go.

Haven't had the time yet, I'll presume Tom has done his usual lengthy video.

It's a pity they're doing the same as Ivy with the TIM, guess it cuts costs for them. Must check out that Gigabyte BIOS.

Oxn

Can someone help?

So i have 2 laptops that are 1366 x 768

But whenever i connect them to my 1080p tv the sides and top and bottom, always get cut off a little bit, why is that?

They are both 16:9.

Same thing when i connect to my 720p old tv.

How can i fix this?

Any help?

Also I have another question,

I just built a new computer, with an i7 3770k, and a 840 pro SSD 256GB. It gives me a WEI score of 5.9, which is kinda low, and half the time it boots rediculously fast like 20seconds, and the other half very slow, like it stays on the black screen where the window comes together for a good minute. What is wrong here?

MedIC86

Any help?

I just built a new computer, with an i7 3770k, and a 840 pro SSD 256GB. It gives me a WEI score of 5.9, which is kinda low, and half the time it boots rediculously fast like 20seconds, and the other half very slow, like it stays on the black screen where the window comes together for a good minute. What is wrong here?

As for your laptop/tv issue, i think thats overscan. When you have your deviced plugged in, right click on the desktop and go to your gpu driver button. In there is a option were you can make the screensize bigger.

the WEI is useless so dont focus to much on that. As for your boot problem, can you give more info. when did it start doing that etc.

LCGeek

formerly sane
Haven't had the time yet, I'll presume Tom has done his usual lengthy video.

It's a pity they're doing the same as Ivy with the TIM, guess it cuts costs for them. Must check out that Gigabyte BIOS.

Does that mean people need to delid cpus to get the extreme oc potential out of them?

Oxn

As for your laptop/tv issue, i think thats overscan. When you have your deviced plugged in, right click on the desktop and go to your gpu driver button. In there is a option were you can make the screensize bigger.

the WEI is useless so dont focus to much on that. As for your boot problem, can you give more info. when did it start doing that etc.

Well its a new build, literally started the day I installed windows 7. When it boots fast its really fast, literally 20seconds, and I cant even see the opening bios screen. But the other half the time when i turn the computer on, it sits where the 4 corners of the windows come togther for a good minute. Its not frozen or anything because i see the icon pulsating but, it just sits there.

I have no idea why. Thats really all the info I got.

Im using a asrock z77 pro 4. But my other computer is using the same mobo and i dont have that problem.

floodgate

Neo Member
I'm not familiar with PNY's RMA system, but yeah, all reference cards are more or less identical.

Thanks! I actually bit on the Gigabyte reference 780, because I could have it on Monday. Which is probably the worst reason in the world...

But I've been waiting so loooonnng

MedIC86

Well its a new build, literally started the day I installed windows 7. When it boots fast its really fast, literally 20seconds, and I cant even see the opening bios screen. But the other half the time when i turn the computer on, it sits where the 4 corners of the windows come togther for a good minute. Its not frozen or anything, it just sits there.

I have no idea why. Thats really all the info I got.

Im using a asrock z77 pro 4. But my other computer is using the same mobo and i dont have that problem.

Well this could be a lot of things, you could try formatting and see what happens, also i dont know if it helps but did you enable AHCI in your bios? should be somewhere.

Blearth

Banned
Any help?

Check your TV's overscan setting.

Oxn

Well this could be a lot of things, you could try formatting and see what happens, also i dont know if it helps but did you enable AHCI in your bios? should be somewhere.

Yes to both. It doesnt bother me too much, I just hope it doesnt crap out on me in the future.

MedIC86

Yes to both. It doesnt bother me too much, I just hope it doesnt crap out on me in the future.

Well thing is, it could be a lot of things. sometimes USB stuff plugged in interfere's with the boot, sometimes when you put on boot from disk first. If you google on "ssd sometimes boots slow" you get a lot of topics with different methods of fixing it, maybe you can try a few.

I think I hear scogoth screaming in joy from here :p

Oxn

Well thing is, it could be a lot of things. sometimes USB stuff plugged in interfere's with the boot, sometimes when you put on boot from disk first. If you google on "ssd sometimes boots slow" you get a lot of topics with different methods of fixing it, maybe you can try a few.

Well i tried somethings out, and now its booting too fast.

For the last 8 boots or so, its been going soo fast that i cant even get into the bios anymore. Now another set of problems.

I smash that f2 man

owasog

Well, thisis one of the good things about both consoles offering >4GB for developers: it's very unlikely that the PC ports would be 32 bit.
According to Steam, 25% is still on 32-bit! Will those people upgrade their Windows to 64-bit or just buy a next-gen console to play the latest games?

I hope next year's PC cross-gens won't be cut-down 32-bit (360/PS3) versions because of this.

Oxn

I want to buy a 3770R for my htpc setup because it has the higher onboard igp, but too bad its oem only

Wish i can get my hands on one with a mini itx.

Sothpaw

According to Steam, 25% is still on 32-bit! Will those people upgrade their Windows to 64-bit or just buy a next-gen console to play the latest games?

I hope next year's PC cross-gens won't be cut-down 32-bit (360/PS3) versions because of this.

I mean isn't it a lot cheaper to just upgrade the os than buy an entire new console?

Random PC question:

So I did a directx check diagnostic and it says I have directx11 running on windows 7 (64bit). But when I check the display settings it says that I'm at 1920 x 1080 (32 bit) @ 60hz.

Shouldn't it be 64 bit? Da fuck. I'm a little confused, if anyone could clear this up.

Also, I just installed a benchmark test for a PC game that installed Direct X9 while I have DirectX10. Do I now have to delete Direct X9 or do games automatically use the latest version?

LCGeek

formerly sane
Random PC question:

So I did a directx check diagnostic and it says I have directx11 running on windows 7 (64bit). But when I check the display settings it says that I'm at 1920 x 1080 (32 bit) @ 60hz.

Shouldn't it be 64 bit? Da fuck. I'm a little confused, if anyone could clear this up.

Also, I just installed a benchmark test for a PC game that installed Direct X9 while I have DirectX10. Do I now have to delete Direct X9 or do games automatically use the latest version?

That's your color depth dude that is separate from how your OS is running in terms of bits.

kennah

Random PC question:

32bit colour. nothing to do with your operating system at all. 32bit colour is currently as high as it goes. It's about as much as we can see :)

As for the rest, a game should use the highest version that it will support with your video card. In theory.

So, after spending a while looking into monitors (since my great old 17" Dell CRT died ( :( ) so I'm down to only a junky 17" Dell LCD panel from the mid '00s (bad color accuracy, poor response time, etc.), I've decided that the one I'm the most interested in is the ASUS PA248Q (24-inch IPS panel). I want to keep two monitors, so bigger than 24" would probably be excessive, and don't want to go over $300-something... and as for TN panels, sure higher response times and 120hz and 3d and stuff would be cool, but as I'm not exactly someone who notices slight framerate/smoothness differences, I think going for the better image quality is the better idea; this LCD's colors look so, SO dull and lifeless compared to how my CRT looked, I do not want something only this good, color-wise.

I just need to decide whether that's really the one to go with for sure...

I really hope that they don't drop 32-bit support soon... :( I know my OS and CPU are dated (Core 2 Duo and Vista 32-bit), but I have a good video card (1GB GeForce 560; I originally got a GeForce 880 320MB, but it died in 2011 and I got that one to upgrade it.), 4GB RAM, 3TB HDD space, etc... I don't need a new computer right now. And I know that I couldn't upgrade that CPU much without getting a new motherboard, and at that point why not get a case too, this one has some issues anyway... and I'm not spending all that money for a whole new computer, not this year for sure.

I mean isn't it a lot cheaper to just upgrade the os than buy an entire new console?
Upgrading your OS is no simple task, and it has as many drawbacks as advantages... for instance, going 64-bit kills 16-bit Windows compatibility. Makes a very large number of older PC games unplayable unless they have fan patches or have been re-released on GOG. I definitely want a working computer with 32-bit support (that's newer than my older P4 WinME Dell machine).

2San

I really hope that they don't drop 32-bit support soon... :( I know my OS and CPU are dated (Core 2 Duo and Vista 32-bit), but I have a good video card (2TB GeForce 560; I originally got a GeForce 880 320MB, but it died in 2011 and I got that one to upgrade it.), 4GB RAM, 3TB HDD space, etc... I don't need a new computer right now. And I know that I couldn't upgrade that CPU much without getting a new motherboard, and at that point why not get a case too, this one has some issues anyway... and I'm not spending all that money for a whole new computer, not this year for sure.
32-bit OS Only supports to 2GB RAM afaik. Can you even properly play recent games?

lordy88

Is there going to be a huge price drop for Ivy bridge processors and relative MOBOs?

I'm thinking about getting them when the Haswell drops if there is a significant price drop. From what you guys are saying, it doesn't look like there will be a noticeable difference between the two processors.

Am I thinking stupid or smart?

kennah

Is there going to be a huge price drop for Ivy bridge processors and relative MOBOs?

I'm thinking about getting them when the Haswell drops if there is a significant price drop. From what you guys are saying, it doesn't look like there will be a noticeable difference between the two processors.

Am I thinking stupid or smart?

Nope. Sandy bridge is still expensive. Also try to find a discounted Socket 1366 board (you won't)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom