• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 1. Haswell, Crysis 3, and secret fairy sauce. Read da OP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kharma, you watch the OC3D reviews of the M5 and 4770K yet?

Important things to note:

1. Haswell is likely to have the same heat spreader/TIM issues as Ivy. Looks like delidding is the way to go.

2. Gigabyte UEFI/BIOS is ridiculously awesome.

FUCK that's disappointing. Was really hoping to avoid the whole delidding thing by waiting for haswell.

Fredescu

Upgeading your OS is no simple task, and it has as many drawbacks as advantages... for instance, going 64-bit kills 16-bit Windows compatibility. Makes a very large number of older PC games unplayable unless they have fan patches or have been re-released on GOG. I definitely want a working computer with 32-bit support (that's newer than my older P4 WinME Dell machine).
Have you tried Win 3.1 inside DosBOX? That's worked for me for a couple of 16bit games.

GeForce 8800, not 880 of course, was the original video card. :p

My sound card also went bad, along with the power supply and video card, but I haven't replaced that. Onboard audio isn't as good, but I haven't wanted to spend the money when I have something that functions, even if it is worse...

For win32, this is the case unless a flag is set, I believe.

Yeah, I believe I did activate that thing that lets programs use over 2GB, or was it 2.7GB, of RAM. Otherwise, that's the limit per program. I'm not sure if 32-bit can do much with over 4GB of total RAM, either. The computer originally came with 2GB RAM, but when in 2011 I was upgrading the video card and adding another hard drive (increasing the total from 1.1TB to ~3TB) and replacing the power supply (because that also had gone bad), I added 2GB more RAM as well.

Have you tried Win 3.1 inside DosBOX? That's worked for me for a couple of 16bit games.
I have 32-bit OS, of course, so I haven't really had to do that. I have considered trying to find an old (3.0, 3.11, or something) version of Windows to install in DOSBox or something, because it might be interesting to see, but haven't done it. I know I still have a 5 1/4" floppy copy of Win 3.0, but 3.11? I'm not sure if I still have that... maybe? (But I don't have a 5 1/4" floppy drive, so I can't use those discs... I've wanted to get one, but haven't. Hopefully it would work on at least one of these computers.)

Akai__

Look at this board. It looks amazing.
23041_0__mbgb_088_1g.jpg

Sadly, it's more than double the price of the "normal" Gigabyte Z87 OC version.

Arkanius

Guys call me cheapstake or broke, but I have been itching on upgrading my GTX 275 but I can't seem to offer a great value card that offered me the same performance as my GTX275 for the price point I paid at the time.

What is wrong with Nvidia and ATi nowadays? The prices are bumped as hell. 400€ usually meant a beast of a card, nowdays it might be a "good" one. The 780 and 770 prices are ridiculous...

Anyway, what would you suggest me? I play in 1080p, I usually don't care for AA at all (However I'm very very tempted for the downsampling method)

Courage

Guys call me cheapstake or broke, but I have been itching on upgrading my GTX 275 but I can't seem to offer a great value card that offered me the same performance as my GTX275 for the price point I paid at the time.

What is wrong with Nvidia and ATi nowadays? The prices are bumped as hell. 400€ usually meant a beast of a card, nowdays it might be a "good" one. The 780 and 770 prices are ridiculous...

Anyway, what would you suggest me? I play in 1080p, I usually don't care for AA at all (However I'm very very tempted for the downsampling method)

You usually get more bang for your buck with AMD cards. Get a 7950, which can turn to a beast when OC'd.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202030

You also get 4 games.

Ty4on

If you don't want to read all of that:
The Radeon HD 7950 3GB (with Boost) is faster than the GeForce GTX 660 Ti in basically all six of our games tested today. Battlefield 3, Crysis 3, DiRT 3, Sleeping Dogs, Skyrim and Far Cry 3 all showed benefits in frame rates and frame times when run on the HD 7950 at single monitor resolutions. In many cases though the GTX 660 Ti was close; very close. At multi-monitor testing (5760x1080) the 3GB frame buffer of the HD 7950 seemed to stretch out the lead that AMD had in single card results, particularly in games like Skyrim and Battlefield 3. Having 50% more memory at that kind of resolution is definitely an advantage that AMD is holding on to.
Unless you're planning on going multi GPU in the future the 7950 is the more powerful card. It also has much faster memory (192bit bus vs 384bit) which is why high res and AA make it fly away from the 660ti.

Arkanius

Unless you're planning on going multi GPU in the future the 7950 is the more powerful card. It also has much faster memory (192bit bus vs 384bit) which is why high res and AA make it fly away from the 660ti.

I was never a fan of Crossfire/SLi.
I am a fan of longish upgrade cycles though. Without resorting too much into futurology since a new gen of console ports will be dawning on us, but will the 7850 last me well? I'm not expecting to increase my monitor resolution, nor upgrade my i5 3570k that soon.

Vitacat

OK, please advise me... I'm starting from scratch.

I want to get a 24" - 27" monitor, and a small form factor PC. I would like to stay under $1200, but can give or take some if it makes sense. I would prefer to buy a pre-built computer.

High-end PC gaming is NOT my goal, but decent gaming ability would be cool. I will mainly use this PC for emulators, work, photo edits and general browsing etc.

What would you recommend?

I was also considering an All-In-One, but thought maybe I could get more bang for the buck (i.e. better monitor) buying separate.

ACE 1991

I'm currentlly going back and forth between jumping on the 7950 at the end of June or waiting until the 8000 series, do you think the performance gains at the $300 price point will be worth the wait?

kennah

I want to get a 24" - 27" monitor, and a small form factor PC. I would like to stay under $1200, but can give or take some if it makes sense. I would prefer to buy a pre-built computer.

High-end PC gaming is NOT my goal, but decent gaming ability would be cool. I will mainly use this PC for emulators, work, photo edits and general browsing etc.

I was also considering an All-In-One, but thought maybe I could get more bang for the buck (i.e. better monitor) buying separate.
Sorry man. All of that stuff is more intensive than high end gaming.

LCGeek

formerly sane

My only main question is about the monitor. What kind of monitor do you like? Depending on gaming needs there are a variety of different brands you can use.

JCizzle

Man, it's pretty incredible to think how long the 2500k will remain an elite option for gaming. Probably one of the best value PC component purchases I've ever made.

zoku88

Then, I guess you already know that you probably shouldn't get something with a TN panel. So, VA or IPS, it seems.

How much do you are about these things:

Color accuracy
Contrast
Viewing angles
Aspect Ratio
Cost

I make a strong vote against all-in-ones. It doesn't make sense to combine a monitor and a PC. Those two things would normally have vastly different life cycles.

So wait. Haswell is running hotter and taking more power at the same clock as Ivy? Wounder if it can even get as high as Ivy then. This is disappointing.

Garou

So when I built my current machine I was too tight with the budget and ended up with a 2500K+stock cooler and a H61-board. Was planning to go Haswell, but now I am thinking.

Go Haswell or just get a Maximus V Gene + Corsair H80i?

I have a 460 GTX but unfortunately it's only the 768MB VRAM version. Hasn't really been an issue up until now, but with the new consoles having 8 GB of RAM I think it will be soon time to upgrade.

Question is should I wait for a 760 of some description or get a 660 Ti? My rig doesn't have any room for a GPU physically larger than the 460, it was tricky enough getting that one in. I'm just assuming the 660 and 760 will be the same size or smaller.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
That is a long ass time to wait.

I'm joking. My edit was too slow! I cut my finger cooking so it hurts to type so I"m going to stop now.

Wait for...20nm and 8 GB GPU usable, extra salty RAM.

Ty4on

I was never a fan of Crossfire/SLi.
I am a fan of longish upgrade cycles though. Without resorting too much into futurology since a new gen of console ports will be dawning on us, but will the 7850 last me well? I'm not expecting to increase my monitor resolution, nor upgrade my i5 3570k that soon.

I'm currentlly going back and forth between jumping on the 7950 at the end of June or waiting until the 8000 series, do you think the performance gains at the $300 price point will be worth the wait?

My 7870 and 4.2Ghz 3570k are more than enough for me. Also helps that the difference between low-med-high and high-ultra in particular is low in newer games. The 7850 is to my knowledge more powerful than the PS4 GPU.

Here's how Planetside (the most graphical intensive game I play nowadays) plays. Does dip to the 40s, but is always smooth unless everyone decided to shoot a rocket at me. It is limited by the GPU 30-40% of the time I think.
Settings:

tarheel91

My 7870 and 4.2Ghz 3570k are more than enough for me. Also helps that the difference between low-med-high and high-ultra in particular is low in newer games. The 7850 is to my knowledge more powerful than the PS4 GPU.

Here's how Planetside (the most graphical intensive game I play nowadays) plays. Does dip to the 40s, but is always smooth unless everyone decided to shoot a rocket at me. It is limited by the GPU 30-40% of the time I think.

Settings:

Just a heads up, you can change manually change the video settings and go beyond "high" settings on some things. You can also supersample.

vilmer_

So when I built my current machine I was too tight with the budget and ended up with a 2500K+stock cooler and a H61-board. Was planning to go Haswell, but now I am thinking.

Go Haswell or just get a Maximus V Gene + Corsair H80i?

Get the Gene and H80i ;)

Ty4on

Just a heads up, you can change manually change the video settings and go beyond "high" settings on some things. You can also supersample.

I know, but have never bothered digging through the settings, the frame rate is spot on for me and there's nothing bothering me at the moment :p

I find the AA solution to be acceptable though it is clearly a cheap filter.

Sober

At this point I'm still waiting on the verdict for Haswell or not, especially if you can pull that off in PS2 with that proc and GPU. Not looking to blast PS2 at 60fps at supersampled 4K or anything but I quit playing because it takes forever to load for me and I have to turn down way too much in terms of graphics settings to be any help. If anything turning it down makes it even harder to read what's going on.

TheD

The Detective
GeForce 8800, not 880 of course, was the original video card. :p

My sound card also went bad, along with the power supply and video card, but I haven't replaced that. Onboard audio isn't as good, but I haven't wanted to spend the money when I have something that functions, even if it is worse...

Yeah, I believe I did activate that thing that lets programs use over 2GB, or was it 2.7GB, of RAM. Otherwise, that's the limit per program. I'm not sure if 32-bit can do much with over 4GB of total RAM, either. The computer originally came with 2GB RAM, but when in 2011 I was upgrading the video card and adding another hard drive (increasing the total from 1.1TB to ~3TB) and replacing the power supply (because that also had gone bad), I added 2GB more RAM as well.

I have 32-bit OS, of course, so I haven't really had to do that. I have considered trying to find an old (3.0, 3.11, or something) version of Windows to install in DOSBox or something, because it might be interesting to see, but haven't done it. I know I still have a 5 1/4" floppy copy of Win 3.0, but 3.11? I'm not sure if I still have that... maybe? (But I don't have a 5 1/4" floppy drive, so I can't use those discs... I've wanted to get one, but haven't. Hopefully it would work on at least one of these computers.)

Each program that you want to use over 2GB of RAM needs the Large Address Aware flag set in it's binary.
A 32Bit system can only address 4GB of RAM -the space used by devices (like graphics cards)
for memory mapped IO, unless you turn on PAE, but that breaks a lot of things.

vilmer_

At this point I'm still waiting on the verdict for Haswell or not, especially if you can pull that off in PS2 with that proc and GPU. Not looking to blast PS2 at 60fps at supersampled 4K or anything but I quit playing because it takes forever to load for me and I have to turn down way too much in terms of graphics settings to be any help. If anything turning it down makes it even harder to read what's going on.

An SSD would make a WORLD of difference (that is if you aren't currently using one).

Sober

An SSD would make a WORLD of difference (that is if you aren't currently using one).
I have a halfway decent processor (Phenom II X4 955 BE) but I have a pretty old AM2+ board that only has DDR2 ram support and I don't even think enough controllers for me to add an SSD.

Ty4on

Get an SSD! It takes me 9 seconds to load a new map and going from clicking play in steam (with dozens of programs and web pages open) to getting into a server took me 50 seconds. That includes starting the launcher, launching the game and opening the map and I loaded a regular map (Indar). Deploying never takes more than 10 seconds.

It's so fast I restarted Skyrim constantly while testing some mods because the loading times were never more than 10 seconds :p

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3350P 3.1GHz Quad-Core Processor ($178.99 @ NCIX US)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 76.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($19.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock B75 PRO3 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($82.54 @ Outlet PC)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($68.30 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 840 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk (Purchased)
Case: NZXT Source 210 (White) ATX Mid Tower Case ($39.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Antec 450W ATX12V Power Supply ($39.15 @ NCIX US)
Total: $428.96
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-06-01 23:31 EDT-0400)

Whats the word on a good 1150 mobos and i5 haswells? 190 for the new i5s? That's awesome. Would it be possible/worth it to wait for them since it looks like it'll only cost 20-30 dollars more for the new stuff?

(I have no idea what I'm doing)

Lunzio

Hey all! Kind of a random question, but I'll be building a new PC in the next couple of weeks and was hoping I could get a little clarification on video cards and dual monitor set-ups!

I'd like to hook my top-tier video card (still TBD - for gaming) to my main monitor and a much lower class video card (for itunes/chrome) to a secondary monitor. I don't know why, but I just have an odd feeling about this set up. Many of the dual monitor builds that I see have the same video cards for both monitors. Would I run into any complications with two different cards/have any drawbacks to my gaming experience? How low tier of a video card can I go? Thanks!

Garou

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3350P 3.1GHz Quad-Core Processor ($178.99 @ NCIX US)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 76.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($19.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock B75 PRO3 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($82.54 @ Outlet PC)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($68.30 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 840 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk (Purchased)
Case: NZXT Source 210 (White) ATX Mid Tower Case ($39.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Antec 450W ATX12V Power Supply ($39.15 @ NCIX US)
Total: $428.96
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-06-01 23:31 EDT-0400)

Whats the word on a good 1150 mobos and i5 haswells? 190 for the new i5s? That's awesome. Would it be possible/worth it to wait for them since it looks like it'll only cost 20-30 dollars more for the new stuff?

(I have no idea what I'm doing)

That CPU is a special low-power P-model, you should get a regular or a K-model.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom