• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 1. Haswell, Crysis 3, and secret fairy sauce. Read da OP

Status
Not open for further replies.

mkenyon

Banned
You need to download the bios update program, run it and select the bios file to upgrade. The program can be found on the MB manufacturer website.
I've had mixed results with these. I think the standard way of doing it in BIOS is the way to go.

knitoe

I've had mixed results with these. I think the standard way of doing it in BIOS is the way to go.

I have done it both ways, mostly Bios. Neither way are 100% safe. Yes, doing it in Windows may cause conflicts, but if the update fails, you can rerun it. You would be screwed with in the Bios route. The Windows bios update have come a long way.

Addnan

is there some button in Windows 8 that I might have accidentally pressed. Neither of the Windows key is doing anything. Keyboard is fine.

edit@ lol. There was some lock key on F12 that disables it.

clav

So, I have no clue how to update my bios. I've downloaded the latest version from ASUS for my motherboard and opened the zip in Winrar. So far so good, but when I click on the .ROM file, I get this:

Halp. I've never done this before.

Copy to the root of a USB drive formatted to FAT32.

Launch your BIOS settings.

-----------------

Why are you using Winrar when there is 7-zip? Just be sure to run 7-zip once in admin mode and associate all file properties in its options menu.

Jubbly

My old motherboard died and I've ended up with an ASUS P8 Z77-V Pro for my i7-2600K.

Can anyone give me overclocking tips for this, or a full-blown guide? Every guide I can find is for Ivy Bridge, which OCs very differently.

Am using air and used to have stable 4.8GHz on my old board.

mkenyon

Banned
My old motherboard died and I've ended up with an ASUS P8 Z77-V Pro for my i7-2600K.

Can anyone give me overclocking tips for this, or a full-blown guide? Every guide I can find is for Ivy Bridge, which OCs very differently.

Am using air and used to have stable 4.8GHz on my old board.
It's the same exact process, just with lower volts on Ivy. Volts vary chip to chip anyway.

Sanic

This might seem like a weird question, but is there any kind of performance hit when running a high performance application (a game) from the same storage location that windows resides on? As far as things like windows doing what it needs to do while a game is streaming data, for example.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Well son of a bitch, EK - You guys are really killing my first impression. They gipped me a screw for my backplate. It's supposed to come with four long ones, and two short; but instead I got 3:3. Meh. Luckily it still got tight enough without over-doing it to go ahead and install it and keep the thermal pads in place. Still sucks, though... gonna shoot them an email in a bit.

I went ahead an decided to see what it'd look like, anyway, though. And boy, it sure is sexy.

8927618937_a5cb5305ae_b.jpg

8927621735_8f3f15ef77_c.jpg

... also a bit worried by how everything fits. Seems like my motherboard is just a insy-teensy bit "off." Like, maybe half a mm. But I undid everything, re-aligned, screwed down... same thing. To install my video card, I had to "pull" it a bit toward the back-brackets - feels like there's a lot of force on the card right there... really not a fan; but I don't know what to do - everything is as perfect as perfect can be.

8928225758_0db7d8aa90_z.jpg

Off to grab (late) lunch and hit the hardware store - need some black screws for mounting the rads - don't want to use silver and the heads be exposed on my black case.

Blizzard

Banned
I'm partly posting this in case anyone has any awesome advice (the most recent build in the OP was updated in February I think), and partly as notes to myself. My Oculus Rift should arrive within a week or two, and I want to build a new computer for it since I haven't in about 5 years.

Your Current Specs: (not really applicable since I plan to build a completely new system and keep the old one functional)

Budget: I'd like to see if it's possible to build for $1000 or less. Country is U.S.

Main Use: I assume this is 5 for everything: gaming, 3D modeling, programming, video recording, music recording and editing, video playback

Monitor Resolution: I have a 1680x1050 monitor, probably time to upgrade but I do like the 1.6 close-to-golden-ratio resolution. For the immediate future I might just reuse this and buy one later.

List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: Project CARS at 60 fps would be ideal, but I know that may be virtually impossible. :p I'd like to be able to downsample relatively high-end PC games (2012/2013/2014 releases), or at minimum run them at 60 fps. I sometimes run the UDK which can eat a ton of memory.

Looking to reuse any parts? Keyboard and mouse, though I may upgrade to another split keyboard since the black one with hotkeys doesn't seem as good as the old white simpler one.

When will you build?: I'd like to at minimum order within a week, and of course the sooner I can ship the parts the better. I used Newegg previously.

Will you be overclocking? No.

Specific things I am going to look for:
  • i5 or i7 processor, at minumum I would like a 3Ghz quad core without overclocking. I've been using a 3 GHz e8400 core 2 duo for about 5 years and I'm probably often CPU limited.
  • At minimum 8GB RAM
  • A SSD might be nice but probably isn't a super high priority for me unless it's inexpensive and not a big hassle splitting between Steam games and Windows. A very highly reliable 7200+ rpm hard disk IS a high priority since I do programming projects and don't want to lose anything. I really need to buy more external(s) and back up more regularly.
  • Windows 7 (home premium is probably fine), not 8
  • nVidia graphics card (I've used AMD for years). I've been using a 5850 which was a great combination of being fast, cool, AND quiet. I'd like to find those three things again, but in a card that is at minimum faster than the 5850 and ideally would last me for a couple of years like the 5850 did. I will be using this with the Rift over HDMI or whatever.
  • Big case for big graphics card, has at least 2 USB on front panel
  • DVDRW of course, might throw a Bluray in as well if there's an inexpensive yet really well reviewed and reliable one.
  • Motherboard that fits all of the above stuff, has 2+ SATA ports, decent quality audio I/O
  • PSU, presumably 700W+.

If anyone has suggestions or spots anything I missed, input is very welcome. :)

kharma45

Also question for kharma and mkenyon, im about to buy the msi z87 G45 (dont really need the features of the GD65) that is a decent mobo right? (at least spec wise, not much reviews yet) dont feel like spending an awful lot of money, but i like the features.

Yeah it appears to be looking good.

RoKKeR

Ah ha! Fond the ASUS Easy Flash tool in the advanced settings menu, and I am now updated to the latest bios version.

Thanks for the help guys.

kharma45

I'm partly posting this in case anyone has any awesome advice (the most recent build in the OP was updated in February I think), and partly as notes to myself. My Oculus Rift should arrive within a week or two, and I want to build a new computer for it since I haven't in about 5 years.

Your Current Specs: (not really applicable since I plan to build a completely new system and keep the old one functional)

Budget: I'd like to see if it's possible to build for $1000 or less. Country is U.S.

Main Use: I assume this is 5 for everything: gaming, 3D modeling, programming, video recording, music recording and editing, video playback

Monitor Resolution: I have a 1680x1050 monitor, probably time to upgrade but I do like the 1.6 close-to-golden-ratio resolution. For the immediate future I might just reuse this and buy one later.

List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: Project CARS at 60 fps would be ideal, but I know that may be virtually impossible. :p I'd like to be able to downsample relatively high-end PC games (2012/2013/2014 releases), or at minimum run them at 60 fps. I sometimes run the UDK which can eat a ton of memory.

Looking to reuse any parts? Keyboard and mouse, though I may upgrade to another split keyboard since the black one with hotkeys doesn't seem as good as the old white simpler one.

When will you build?: I'd like to at minimum order within a week, and of course the sooner I can ship the parts the better. I used Newegg previously.

Will you be overclocking? No.

Specific things I am going to look for:
  • i5 or i7 processor, at minumum I would like a 3Ghz quad core without overclocking. I've been using a 3 GHz e8400 core 2 duo for about 5 years and I'm probably often CPU limited.
  • At minimum 8GB RAM
  • A SSD might be nice but probably isn't a super high priority for me unless it's inexpensive and not a big hassle splitting between Steam games and Windows. A very highly reliable 7200+ rpm hard disk IS a high priority since I do programming projects and don't want to lose anything. I really need to buy more external(s) and back up more regularly.
  • Windows 7 (home premium is probably fine), not 8
  • nVidia graphics card (I've used AMD for years). I've been using a 5850 which was a great combination of being fast, cool, AND quiet. I'd like to find those three things again, but in a card that is at minimum faster than the 5850 and ideally would last me for a couple of years like the 5850 did. I will be using this with the Rift over HDMI or whatever.
  • Big case for big graphics card
  • DVDRW of course, might throw a Bluray in as well if there's an inexpensive yet really well reviewed and reliable one.
  • Motherboard with decent quality audio I/O

If anyone has suggestions or spots anything I missed, input is very welcome. :)

Do you have a Micro Center nearby?

kharma45

Sadly no. I used to live in Georgia where they were an option. I just edited my list with a few things I missed.

I've taken you over budget

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/12fcq
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/12fcq/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/12fcq/benchmarks/

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($249.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($22.98 @ Outlet PC)
Motherboard: MSI Z87-G45 Gaming ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($167.86 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair XMS3 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($64.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($84.99 @ Microcenter)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($58.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7950 3GB Video Card ($268.98 @ Newegg)
Case: BitFenix Shinobi ATX Mid Tower Case ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Rosewill Hive 650W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($14.98 @ Outlet PC)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.94 @ Outlet PC)
Total: $1133.68
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-06-02 16:12 EDT-0400)

What would help bring it down is if you were happy to go Ivy Bridge over Haswell, and you could drop the Hyper 212. I only added it in as overclocking is so easy to do now and will really help with longevity as well as with gaming and other applications.

Doing that would leave you with something like this
PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/12fj2
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/12fj2/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/12fj2/benchmarks/

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($169.99 @ Microcenter)
Motherboard: MSI Z77A-GD55 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($116.98 @ Outlet PC)
Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($84.99 @ Microcenter)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($58.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7950 3GB Video Card ($268.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Rosewill Hive 650W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.94 @ Outlet PC)
Total: $999.82
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-06-02 16:15 EDT-0400)

Blizzard

Banned
Thanks! Though I will probably try to avoid Microcenter as mentioned if I can find something similar enough on Newegg. Honestly under $1200 still isn't horrible as long as the parts are reliable enough and likely to last a few years.

Regarding Haswell, I was under the impression it came out tomorrow -- I assume being an early adopter tends to be rather expensive.

Regarding the video card, I'm looking for nVidia only this time around. =( I'd like to try stuff like Mirror's Edge or maybe Arkham City with PhysX maxed out, plus AMD has sort of had driver issues or not-as-good-support for certain features for several years (so I feel in my mostly uneducated anecdotal opinion). I want to at least give the other side a fair shot.

Addnan

Thanks! Though I will probably try to avoid Microcenter as mentioned if I can find something similar enough on Newegg. Honestly under $1200 still isn't horrible as long as the parts are reliable enough and likely to last a few years.

Regarding Haswell, I was under the impression it came out tomorrow -- I assume being an early adopter tends to be rather expensive.

Regarding the video card, I'm looking for nVidia only this time around. =( I'd like to try stuff like Mirror's Edge or maybe Arkham City with PhysX maxed out, plus AMD has sort of had driver issues or not-as-good-support for certain features for several years (so I feel in my mostly uneducated anecdotal opinion). I want to at least give the other side a fair shot.

If you want Physx then yeah you need to go Nvidia, but driver wise AMD is fine now. GTX 770, or 760Ti when it is released is probably what you will be aiming for.

kharma45

I presumed going by their website Micro Center were able to deliver.

The problem with going Nvidia is you'll have to move up to the 670/680/770 sort of territory if you're looking at longevity, as the 660 Ti is easily outclassed by the 7950. PhysX is nice but it's very niche and I wouldn't use it as a reason to decide on a GPU. AMDs drivers have also come on leaps and bounds in the last year, they're on a par with Nvidia now. If you're looking to go Nvidia though then I'd look at a build like this

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/12fA8
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/12fA8/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/12fA8/benchmarks/

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($169.99 @ Microcenter)
Motherboard: MSI Z77A-GD55 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($116.98 @ Outlet PC)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 770 2GB Video Card ($399.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $1130.83
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-06-02 16:27 EDT-0400)

nbthedude

I presumed going by their website Micro Center were able to deliver.

The problem with going Nvidia is you'll have to move up to the 670/680/770 sort of territory if you're looking at longevity, as the 660 Ti is easily outclassed by the 7950. PhysX is nice but it's very niche and I wouldn't use it as a reason to decide on a GPU. AMDs drivers have also come on leaps and bounds in the last year, they're on a par with Nvidia now. If you're looking to go Nvidia though then I'd look at a build like this

MicroCenter's processor sales are generally "in store" online.

I concur with your videocard assessments.

News Bot

Banned
The addition of Haswell to product lists has only made it even more of a nightmare to decide on a motherboard. So damn much and all with mostly the same names give or take a letter or two and no clear indication as to the difference.

Vercimber

Hello, everyone. I've read the FAQ and understand fully that it's best to try building a computer ourselves before asking for help. However, I have a condition called "essential tremor" that's quite bad; some of my symptoms mimic those of advanced Parkinson's disease at the worst times, symptoms that prevent me from doing simple construction tasks like tightening screws, fitting hardware into slots, etc. I also have to game with a controller, as opposed to a mouse and keyboard.

I'm in the market for a relatively powerful PC and was curious as to whether anyone would help me build one. Please PM with your needed compensation. I'm in the Atlanta area, in case there's anyone around here that can help me locally.

I'm going with PS4/Wii U/3DS/Vita/and PC next gen, and I've deliberated on getting a pre-built machine, but the price is always so much more expensive than building one. At the moment I have a laptop (Lenovo Idea Pad with an i7 and 660M, but it simply can't cope with things like Blood Dragon at a high framerate. Anyway, just checking to see if anyone might be able to help.

Hello, everyone. I've read the FAQ and understand fully that it's best to try building a computer ourselves before asking for help. However, I have a condition called "essential tremor" that's quite bad; some of my symptoms mimic those of advanced Parkinson's disease at the worst times, symptoms that prevent me from doing simple construction tasks like tightening screws, fitting hardware into slots, etc. I also have to game with a controller, as opposed to a mouse and keyboard.

I'm in the market for a relatively powerful PC and was curious as to whether anyone would help me build one. Please PM with your needed compensation. I'm in the Atlanta area, in case there's anyone around here that can help me locally.

I'm going with PS4/Wii U/3DS/Vita/and PC next gen, and I've deliberated on getting a pre-built machine, but the price is always so much more expensive than building one. At the moment I have a laptop (Lenovo Idea Pad with an i7 and 660M, but it simply can't cope with things like Blood Dragon at a high framerate. Anyway, just checking to see if anyone might be able to help.
If no one helps you, you may want to look into an Alienware x51 or whatever comes out of E3 from them. I do not know any off the top of my head, but there are other sites as well that people on here can provide that make custom built PCs.

Edit: Not sure if I misread your last sentence, by "pre-built" are you talking about something like a Dell or HP? Or a site that builds custom PCs for you?

nbthedude

I'd be happy to help for free and I believe we already know each other in real life. I'll send you a PM. I'll also probably be coming through Atlanta this summer so once we figure out parts, you can order them and I can assemble. I actually love assembling PCs. It is almost as fun/exciting as playing games. ;)

Vercimber

If no one helps you, you may want to look into an Alienware x51 or whatever comes out of E3 from them. I do not know any off the top of my head, but there are other sites as well that people on here can provide that make custom built PCs.

Edit: Not sure if I misread your last sentence, by "pre-built" are you talking about something like a Dell or HP? Or a site that builds custom PCs for you?

Thanks for the X51 suggestion. I'll see what they come out with at e3. Still interested in PMs, too.

Vercimber

I'd be happy to help for free and I believe we already know each other in real life. I'll send you a PM. I'll also probably be coming through Atlanta this summer so once we figure out parts, you can order them and I can assemble. I actually love assembling PCs. It is almost as fun/exciting as playing games. ;)

Awesome. Problem solved, everyone. Thanks so much, nbthedude.

nbthedude

Thanks for the X51 suggestion. I'll see what they come out with at e3. Still interested in PMs, too.

PM sent. You are definitely right about saving from building your own. As in several hundred dollars. Plus, having the keys to the factory and picking out exactly what you want is a huge part of the fun.

It's build your ultimate gaming PC time. :)

Najaf

I've been reading up on Haswell and could use some direction from those more familiar with the new chipset.

I have held off on upgrading my Mobo/CPU and had the intent on waiting until Haswell hit the market, but as I am reading things perhaps an upgrade would be down another path.

I am running an i7-930. If I am going to upgrade, do I go with the Haswell 1150 socket or grab an Ivy board/CPU. Will the 1150 socket be supported for some time to come? When I grabbed the i7-930 on its 1366 board, a few months later news broke that the 1366 was a dead platform.

Thoughts? I don't do CPU intensive tasks aside from what games stress. I do enjoy tinkering with overclocking.

Jordan

So, I'm glad the released the pricing of Haswell today.

Quick price up I did earlier today:

CPU - Intel Core i5 4670K 3.40GHz - £191.99
Motherboard - ASRock Z87 EXTREME4 - £155.99
Graphics Card - EXGA GTX 670 FTW - £289.99
RAM - Patriot Viper "Black Mamba" 16GB (2x8GB) - £99.95
SSD - Samsung 120GB 840 Series - £77.99
Case - BitFenix Shinobi USB 3.0 - £49.99
Power Supply - Corsair CX750M - £78.98
CPU Fan - Corsair Hydro H60 - £59.99
BluRay Drive - ASUS BC-12B1ST - £63.98

I already have two Hard Drives ready for storage (1.5TB)

What's everybody's opinion?

Edit: Final Price: £1,068.85

kharma45

I'd go for this mobo instead http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MB-234-MS&groupid=701&catid=5&subcat=2574 and this SSD http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00A1ZTZOG/

16GB of RAM, do you need it all? Blu-ray too? Also change that PSU http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CA-018-SS

I've been reading up on Haswell and could use some direction from those more familiar with the new chipset.

I have held off on upgrading my Mobo/CPU and had the intent on waiting until Haswell hit the market, but as I am reading things perhaps an upgrade would be down another path.

I am running an i7-930. If I am going to upgrade, do I go with the Haswell 1150 socket or grab an Ivy board/CPU. Will the 1150 socket be supported for some time to come? When I grabbed the i7-930 on its 1366 board, a few months later news broke that the 1366 was a dead platform.

Thoughts? I don't do CPU intensive tasks aside from what games stress. I do enjoy tinkering with overclocking.

1150 will support Broadwell and then be discontinued as per normal with Intel, sockets last two gens.

Addnan

If you are going to spend that much on the motherboard might as well spend the extra couple of £ and get the GD65 Gaming. Early reviews suggest its a great board.

I'd move down to 8GB saving £50 and go for a 4GB GPU, bigger SSD or a better case which will make a much bigger difference than the RAM will.

kennah

Canada preferred. Optimally I want a 3770 but can't afford that riiiiight now but if someone has an i3 kicking around let me know. Want to get my hackintosh up and running as it looks like I'm getting a ga-z77m-d3h for cheap

nbthedude

Just looking at some current deals.

What do you guys think about a Haswell i5 4670k vs. an Ivy i7 3770k. With a combo deal on Microcenter with an AsRock Extreme 4, there is literally only $5 difference between them.

My current thinking is the extra threads and overclocking ability on the Ivy i7 is probably a better buy. I know performance gains of i7s havent been huge over I5s but that may change with an increase emphasis on multi-thread processing with the new systems.

What do you guys think about a Haswell i5 4770k vs. an Ivy i7 3770k. With a combo deal on Microcenter with an AsRock Extreme 4, there is literally only $5 difference between them.

My current thinking is the extra threads and overclocking ability on the Ivy i7 is probably a better buy. I know performance gains of i7s havent been huge over I5s but that may change with an increase emphasis on multi-thread processing with the new systems.

Just clarifying that you mean the 4570k, right? Think the 4770k is the I7. Anyway, have been thinking about the same thing.

DSN2K

What do you guys think about a Haswell i5 4770k vs. an Ivy i7 3770k. With a combo deal on Microcenter with an AsRock Extreme 4, there is literally only $5 difference between them.

Next Gen ports are coming from an AMD 8 core / 8 thread Jaguar....think people going to be surprised how well their current builds run these games at first. brute force of Intel's i5, i7's will handle them just fine. Two you have selected will do you fine for the next 3 years easy. if difference isn't much get the i7.

nbthedude

Next Gen ports are coming from an AMD 8 core / 8 thread Jaguar....think people going to be surprised how well their current builds run these games at first. brute force of Intel's i5, i7's will handle them just fine. Two you have selected will do you fine for the next 3 years easy. if difference isn't much get the i7.

It is literally $5 more for the Ivy i7 over the Haswell i5 in this case with the same motherboard series (different socket, obviously).

News Bot

Banned
How are these Z77 motherboards and which would be the best?

MSI Z77A-G43
MSI Z77A-G45
MSI Z77A-G43 Gaming Series
MSI Z77A-GD55
Gigabyte Z77-D3H
Gigabyte Z77X-D3H
ASRock Z77 Fatal1ty Performance

Trying to find one relatively cheap with decent onboard audio and good overclocking ability (4.6 is ideal). Not too fussed on PCI ports at all as I only need two (PCI-E 16x and PCI-E 1x). While I don't mind going £150, I'd prefer to save as much money as possible for the CPU itself and additional HDDs.

mkenyon

Banned
I'm curious to see what Haswell does once delidded though. It might become a monster.

There's a number of people that have said they've been able to validate at 5.0-5.1 on air, but crash due to a thermal limit.

diehard

Fleer
Trying to find one relatively cheap with decent onboard audio and good overclocking ability (4.6 is ideal). Not too fussed on PCI ports at all as I only need two (PCI-E 16x and PCI-E 1x). While I don't mind going £150, I'd prefer to save as much money as possible for the CPU itself and additional HDDs.

Honestly i think about any of those boards would be able to do that.

Id go with the G43 Gaming though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom