• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 1. Haswell, Crysis 3, and secret fairy sauce. Read da OP

Status
Not open for further replies.

kennah

Things you miss out on with ITX.

1. SLI
2. Add on cards like audio and... Audio
3. More than 4 SATA ports.
4. More than 2 slots for RAM (so max 16gig)

That's it. Your Noctua might even fit. The Prodigy has a lot of headroom

Lexxon

Things you miss out on with ITX.

1. SLI
2. Add on cards like audio and... Audio
4. More than 2 slots for RAM (so max 16gig)

That's it. Your Noctua might even fit. The Prodigy has a lot of headroom

Awesome, thanks for the insight. One thing I read somewhere is that you may think due to the tiny size of the board that ITX builds are really tiny too--but to accomodate a gaming video card, they're still nearly the full width of a standard case, so it's mostly the height that's smaller (and weight likely).

Only seeing 2 ASRock ITX boards right now on PCPartPicker. I know Asus' ITX board was highly rated for Z77 so will keep an eye on that.

Add-on cards brings up an interesting point--my wifi card (only for other locations--I'm wired) is PCI. Might be time to invest in a PCIe or USB adapter.

SLI I had factored in and forgotten to mention. I've had considerations of going 120hz or 1440p someday, so SLI might have to factor into that decision.

Ty4on

Hmm?
itx-1-1280x1024.jpg

lordy88

Alright, I think I've whipped up the build I'm going to pull the trigger on. What do you guys think?

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($249.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 76.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($19.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: MSI Z87-G41 PC Mate ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($117.55 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 840 Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($159.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Green 1.5TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 660 2GB Video Card ($187.99 @ Newegg)
Sound Card: Asus Xonar DGX 24-bit 96 KHz Sound Card ($36.36 @ SuperBiiz)
Wireless Network Adapter: Rosewill RNX-N250PCe 802.11b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter ($17.25 @ Newegg)
Case: BitFenix Shinobi ATX Mid Tower Case ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Antec Basiq Plus 550W 80 PLUS Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($69.99 @ Amazon)
Keyboard: V7 KM0B1-6N6 Wired Standard Keyboard ($9.98 @ Outlet PC)
Total: $999.07

Or should I go get the barebones from that forum?

scogoth

Planning on doing this next weekend. Any guides or methods you found useful?

Yeah search overclock.net and read all of them so you get comfortable knowing how the chip is laid out. Also wiggle and push that razor (if you are doing the razor method) harder than you think. I was worried about damging it but it requires some force and patience to do it. Work then corners than attack the long edges by pushing in from the corners.

Instro

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/12nOH

Thoughts? Any additions/subtractions would be welcome, would like to drop the price a bit more. Perhaps drop back a bit on the SSD, I'm sure I can save on the disc drive as well, but I would like it to be able to read BDs. Also could use some recs on the monitor and some cheap speakers.

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/12nOH

Thoughts? Any additions/subtractions would be welcome, would like to drop the price a bit more. Perhaps drop back a bit on the SSD, I'm sure I can save on the disc drive as well, but I would like it to be able to read BDs. Also could use some recs on the monitor and some cheap speakers.

Get a power line adapter instead of the WiFi one. Mkenyon recommended that to me and there are some convincing videos on youtube.

Adam Blue

So, sound card stuff.

I have a Sabertooth X58. There's an optical port, and when plugged in the properties in windows show DTS and DD as enabled features and I can 'test' and it works fine. But, I haven't been able to get it to work in games. I'm using a Yamaha RXV367, and in game it will revert to Stereo (BF3, RE:Revelations), and I can change it to 5ch enhance, but it's not real DD. Even now when I start up RE:R is displays a DD splash screen.

SO - I may be completely missing a setting, or the X58 onboard really doesn't do DTS and DD. I have a 7970 and while it can ouptut audio, my receiver has scaling issues with resolutions for some reason (the PS3 is the only console that displays properly).

I might as well just go with the Asus Xonar is there is no way to get real 5.1. My system can test it fine, but games don't play that way.

Whats the general opinion on transferring games from a old HD to a SSD? Will it be wise to redownload the games or can I just copy them over? I ask because my isp has bandwidth caps and if I can skip out on redownloading some games that would help me out.

Blizzard

Banned
Based on all this, hopefully tomorrow I'll look at something with 3770k (just need a motherboard suggestion) + 770 maybe? $400 for a 2GB video card seems like quite a lot though, but from the sounds of it anything else would be easily outclassed by the AMD equivalent. However, I also need to look into it and make sure I'm not picking one that's SLI built in since I want to avoid that due to occasional issues with some games.

Courage

Based on all this, hopefully tomorrow I'll look at something with 3770k (just need a motherboard suggestion) + 770 maybe? $400 for a 2GB video card seems like quite a lot though, but from the sounds of it anything else would be easily outclassed by the AMD equivalent. However, I also need to look into it and make sure I'm not picking one that's SLI built in since I want to avoid that due to occasional issues with some games.

Go with that 7970 GHz deal. $400 for performance like that is insane.

Lexxon

http://www.overclock.net/t/1397007/msi-z77-mpower-i7-build-with-lightning-680

Oh my god.

Z77 MPower
I7-3770k
8gig of colour matched ram
Msi 680 lightning
H100

$750 shipped.

So you guys think this is a pretty solid deal right? I might be buying it off him :eek: [Hope I'm not sniping it away from anyone, I messaged him assuming it was long gone]

The way I see it, it's still a $200 board, processor is $230 at Micro Center, after the $40 bundle savings, $390. Add, say, $350 for the video card (770 is $400 and a slight boost on the 680), maybe $50 for the RAM, and $80 (current price) for the H100, it's worth about $870 before tax on the Micro Center stuff. Factor in that it's used, but still. It might be worth the cost savings to me to jump on something like this rather than build all new on Haswell gear.

mkenyon

Banned
Hey guys!

I'm super close to pulling the trigger on building a new computer for the first time in 3 years, and I could really use some help.

Is there a specific difference between these two Motherboards?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130695 - $90 after Combo

And

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130699 - $70 after Combo

Thanks in advance!
Mmmmmm......

There aren't any reviews of those. At that price point too, they have to be missing some very important stuff.

Blizzard

Banned
Go with that 7970 GHz deal. $400 for performance like that is insane.
I paid way too much for my 5850 too, like $350. I've just basically determined that after 5 years of AMD, I want to get an nVidia card no matter what this time. PhysX is just part of it.

Now if I can find decent performance and 2GB or more for less than $400, that would be awesome of course. :p

lordy88

Mmmmmm......

There aren't any reviews of those. At that price point too, they have to be missing some very important stuff.

Do they? I understand they could have more Sata ports, more USB 3, more PCI 3.0 x16, and a OC Genie, but what else could be missing to render these MOBOs useless?

Lexxon

I paid way too much for my 5850 too, like $350. I've just basically determined that after 5 years of AMD, I want to get an nVidia card no matter what this time. PhysX is just part of it.

Now if I can find decent performance and 2GB or more for less than $400, that would be awesome of course. :p

GTX 770 is supposed to be $400. Once the stock levels out that's going to be a great buy at that price range.

Yep. Here you go!

The video cards, memory, and prices are outdated. Everything else is still right on.

Do I need extra fans/heatsinks for a 3570k + 560Ti build? If I upgrade to a beefier GPU next year, what about then? Assume I don't really mind all that much about overclocking.

Talking about the Silverstone Sg-07 build. On the website of my choice I can find an SG-07B, which I assume is also fine. Regarding the mobo, I can only find a P8H77I, is that one that doesn't permit OCing?

kennah

Do I need extra fans/heatsinks for a 3570k + 560Ti build? If I upgrade to a beefier GPU next year, what about then? Assume I don't really mind all that much about overclocking.

Talking about the Silverstone Sg-07 build. On the website of my choice I can find an SG-07B, which I assume is also fine. Regarding the mobo, I can only find a P8H77I, is that one that doesn't permit OCing?

That is correct. No overclocking with H. You need a Z77. If you get the H then the K in the CPU Is wasted money.

mkenyon

Banned
Do they? I understand they could have more Sata ports, more USB 3, more PCI 3.0 x16, and a OC Genie, but what else could be missing to render these MOBOs useless?
Likely really cheap capacitors, crappy MOSFET, crappy power regulation. I wouldn't be surprised if they have a good portion of the OC tools disabled in BIOS.

The fan suggestions are to keep the builds quiet. With the smaller space, you need to move air through at a reasonable pace or your parts heat up quick. I put the fans in there as they do this while remaining quiet, which is important for HTPCs.

They're totally optional though.

That is correct. No overclocking with H. You need a Z77. If you get the H then the K in the CPU Is wasted money.

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php...8_1019&zenid=a320d3c0e0798c54fbdf17872ed84ee0

Which boards on there would be the best available? I'm not actually planning to OC, but I might when I reuse the CPU in a future build.

(I'd like to include 1x SSD, 1x HDD, 1x BluRay drive)

The fan suggestions are to keep the builds quiet. With the smaller space, you need to move air through at a reasonable pace or your parts heat up quick. I put the fans in there as they do this while remaining quiet, which is important for HTPCs.

They're totally optional though.

Ah I see. If I have stock CPU and GPU I'll probably be fine?

usea

I'm having trouble finding quality information on monitors, specifically their response time and input lag. I can find the manufacturers' specs, but those are garbage.

http://www.displaylag.com/display-database/ this site only lists a handful of products, and only has input lag (no response time measurements).

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/ this place seems to review mostly just dells. Basically no asus monitors at all.

I'm looking for a 23-24" cheap IPS that is fast enough for gaming. If that's unreasonable, I'd take a TN that has great viewing angle and OK colors. Does such a thing exist? Should I just settle on something shitty?

I'm looking at Asus VG23AH, but I can't find any quality reviews of its performance.

ASUS VS239H-P seems like a great gaming monitor, but as it's a TN I'd like more information on viewing angles and colors. I can't find any.

Supposedly these two are pretty good, but they're more expensive.
Dell UltraSharp U2412M
ASUS PA248Q

I'd rather not have to drop $300 on a monitor, since I want 2.

halp.

Ok, so I'm new here and not sure if this is the right place, but I am not allowed to make threads. I just recently discovered that my shitty toshiba laptop can actually run some games pretty well, I think I had tried to play Penumbra years ago on it and had all kinds of problems, so I kind of assumed the video card was too crap to run anything.

But a couple of weeks ago I got Half Life 2 on a whim and can run it on all of the highest settings, so I started getting more PC games, I currently have condemned: criminal origins, which runs at about 45 fps when i tweak the settings with decent graphics, source engine games run fine, Amnesia runs at about 30 fps with some tweaks on the higher graphic settings.

I'm just looking for some recommendations for lower spec games that I can enjoy as I'm new to PC gaming and really digging the keyboard/mouse controls and higher framerates. Any help would be much appreciated!

btw it's a Satellite L505D-S5983, AMD Athlon II dual-core m300 with ATI mobility Radeon HD 4200 and 3gb ddr2.

LCGeek

formerly sane
I'm having trouble finding quality information on monitors, specifically their response time and input lag. I can find the manufacturers' specs, but those are garbage.

http://www.displaylag.com/display-database/ this site only lists a handful of products, and only has input lag (no response time measurements).

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/ this place seems to review mostly just dells. Basically no asus monitors at all.

I'm looking for a 23-24" cheap IPS that is fast enough for gaming. If that's unreasonable, I'd take a TN that has great viewing angle and OK colors. Does such a thing exist? Should I just settle on something shitty?

I'm looking at Asus VG23AH, but I can't find any quality reviews of its performance.

ASUS VS239H-P seems like a great gaming monitor, but as it's a TN I'd like more information on viewing angles and colors. I can't find any.

Supposedly these two are pretty good, but they're more expensive.
Dell UltraSharp U2412M
ASUS PA248Q

I'd rather not have to drop $300 on a monitor, since I want 2.

halp.

I prefer the dell. Though with ips and I hate to say it still a mixed bag with gaming though it's not bad. Just certain TN panels especially certain benq or asus models much better if it's for gaming. Hopefully in a few years IPS can replace tn panels once input lag issues are gone.

Addnan

Ok, so I'm new here and not sure if this is the right place, but I am not allowed to make threads. I just recently discovered that my shitty toshiba laptop can actually run some games pretty well, I think I had tried to play Penumbra years ago on it and had all kinds of problems, so I kind of assumed the video card was too crap to run anything.

But a couple of weeks ago I got Half Life 2 on a whim and can run it on all of the highest settings, so I started getting more PC games, I currently have condemned: criminal origins, which runs at about 45 fps when i tweak the settings with decent graphics, source engine games run fine, Amnesia runs at about 30 fps with some tweaks on the higher graphic settings.

I'm just looking for some recommendations for lower spec games that I can enjoy as I'm new to PC gaming and really digging the keyboard/mouse controls and higher framerates. Any help would be much appreciated!

btw it's a Satellite L505D-S5983, AMD Athlon II dual-core m300 with ATI mobility Radeon HD 4200 and 3gb ddr2.
Buy the latest humble bundle http://www.humblebundle.com/

You will probably get more results asking in the steam thread, http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=535083&page=1

ACE 1991

My 7870 and 4.2Ghz 3570k are more than enough for me. Also helps that the difference between low-med-high and high-ultra in particular is low in newer games. The 7850 is to my knowledge more powerful than the PS4 GPU.

Here's how Planetside (the most graphical intensive game I play nowadays) plays. Does dip to the 40s, but is always smooth unless everyone decided to shoot a rocket at me. It is limited by the GPU 30-40% of the time I think.

Settings:

Okay, thanks. While I know people here hate the phrase "future-proof," it seems like I should be pretty safe with a 7950 until at least this time come 2015; I'd like a card that will be able to play games at mostly high and max settings at 1080p while never dipping below 30 frames. Luckily AA isn't something I care a whole lot about, so I think I should be set.

nbthedude

So, you paid way too much for your last card but you are determined to go NVidia. :)

Honestly, I was in a similar position last December. I had both a AMD and an Nvidia PC already at home but the Nvida was the system with the weak card, so I determined to build a higher end nVidia. But I didnt want/couldn't afford the $500+ high end NVidia cards.

Long story short, I ended up caving and buying a 7970ghz for $400 and giving up on the idea of buying a brand just cause. I am very happy I made that decision. I am not necessarily saying you shpuld do likewise. The 770 sows up at the competition now in terms of price/performance. Just I would try not make the decision of the best card/value based on brand.

nbthedude

Okay, thanks. While I know people here hate the phrase "future-proof," it seems like I should be pretty safe with a 7950 until at least this time come 2015; I'd like a card that will be able to play games at mostly high and max settings at 1080p while never dipping below 30 frames. Luckily AA isn't something I care a whole lot about, so I think I should be set.

Just keep in mind that settngs are always rising. Alot of game that runs on medium settings in two years will probably look better than many games on high today.

If you ask me "can I use this system to run new games releases in 2-3 hears and have them still look awesome?" I would say yes. I can't predict whether they are going to add some new fangled, highly demanding gimmicky effect or come up with a a new top tier descriptor (first it was "high" and then "ultra" and sometimes "uber," what is next, "infinite omega"?). But yeah, its a great machine that will play games well.

The big secret is that most of those fancy effects you have to really scour a paused game screen to tell a difference and even then it's hard.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Haswell overclocking is a fucking joke.

100C+ on stock cooler:
qMg18T1.png

Aim a bit lower, you'll seemingly get 4.2Ghz easily and at a sane voltage, (And the 31 page ASUS OC guide seems to suggest 4.6Ghz being ma 24/7 average for a majority of Haswell)
but it runs HOT HOT HOT
2u3XKMP.png

owikh84 on KX has this:
Max clock under water is 4.8GHz
4.9 and 5.0 not bootable into windows and stuck at logon screen
Asus Maximus VI Extreme
Custom water Loop

DF4SzV7.jpg

1yhQGSf.jpg

Yeah I was scared, but it turns out its really easy. Is there any confirmation that haswell is NOT soldered?
Yup.
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?286340-4770k-4670K-IHS-Removals

Pyi6feu.jpg

Well that's fucking garbage. Guess I will pick up one of the Ivy I7s for cheap from microcenter. Dead socket or not will last me till after 1150 is dead. Will wait another week or so to see what comes of delidded temps or other details I guess.

Smash88

Banned
AErsFysl.jpg

Sorry for the shitty iPhone pic. Just finished my build.

i7 4770k
Asus Sabertooth Z87
GTX Titan
Samsung 840 Pro
16GB DDR3 2133mhz Corsair Dominator Platinum

Running like a fucking champ. And so cool. Idle temps for me 35C on an H100i.

Coming from Q6600-4gb ddr2-gtx 470. The change is amazing. So smooth and I can load into Windows 8 in 5 seconds. FUCKING WUT!

Shout out to everyone that's helped me.

Special Titan shoutout to Smokey, my main man.

rIi9o5T.gif

Installing BF3 and other games as we speak.

I will be getting some better resolution pics later this week, once everything has been all cleaned up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom