• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 1. Haswell, Crysis 3, and secret fairy sauce. Read da OP

Status
Not open for further replies.

scogoth

I'm curious to see what Haswell does once delidded though. It might become a monster.

There's a number of people that have said they've been able to validate at 5.0-5.1 on air, but crash due to a thermal limit.

Kind of a moot point seeing as I'm still the only gaffer I know that has actually delidded their CPU. *cough*cough*

Edit: See?

I have no problem overclocking and building systems but delidding a $200+ processor scares me. I think that will remain a very niche group even if delidding helps. I can just see the screams around messageboards about screwing up their brand new procssor of it ever became a common thing.

nbthedude

I'm curious to see what Haswell does once delidded though. It might become a monster.

There's a number of people that have said they've been able to validate at 5.0-5.1 on air, but crash due to a thermal limit.

I have no problem overclocking and building systems but delidding a $200+ processor scares me. I think that will remain a very niche group even if delidding helps. I can just see the screams around messageboards about screwing up their brand new procssor of it ever became a common thing.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Hope nobody minds me littering this thread with pictures as I go along. If I am, let me know and I'll chill a bit. But I always love pictures and build logs, and seeing what people are doing and the things they come up with.

Quoted for size:

So, went to Home Depot - nothing. Checked out ACE - nothing, either. Can't seem to find black screws for my rads. A bit disappointed, I headed home with the intent to buy black screws online. I'm patient; not a huge deal. But then I started thinking - The case has silver feet. And a little silver on the outside may not be too bad to match the little silver I'll have on the inside (most likely the fittings). So, I went ahead and proceeded. I'm not in love with the look... but I'm not really against it, either. Kinda gives it a more industrial look, I think. Maybe I'm just trying to convince myself - will probably spend the $7 to ship some screws and if I use them when they arrive, great; if not I'll shelve them for a future build.

The front mesh is easily removed from the case for quick and easy mounting. Took the grill off, set it down, and dug a screw into the case front, then the fans, and into the rads. I made sure multiple times I had selected the side of the rads with a bigger gap, as to not accidentally puncture anything.

8929021871_6f8f21cf54_c.jpg

Getting it back on the case is easier when we use gravity to make sure everything is aligned:

8929629806_6cdcde4110_c.jpg

And then how it all looks installed:

8929628938_8ef38a28c6_c.jpg

... Note the silver screws. Thoughts?

This is what it looks on the inside - the rad is a bit dirty, I guess. Only can notice it in the picture; but I plan to wipe everything down before I "Go-Live", anyway.

8929020799_319b6857cf_c.jpg

... can't really notice it once I put in a HDD cage and put up the shroud:

8929020129_a899c2ea40_c.jpg

This is the only fan I'll be using without a radiator - I'm doing intake. That'll be two in front before the rad and one right here. Then the 360 rad up top with have three fans pulling air out.

8929019727_12df15f0c6_c.jpg

... and a real quick n' dirty of what things might look like once the window is on and everything gets finished up. Obviously there's still a lot of work to do.

8929019369_4d7e4eb263_c.jpg

scogoth

Yeah I was scared, but it turns out its really easy. Is there any confirmation that haswell is NOT soldered?

scogoth

Hope nobody minds me littering this thread with pictures as I go along. If I am, let me know and I'll chill a bit. But I always love pictures and build logs, and seeing what people are doing and the things they come up with.

Quoted for size:

Looks amazing O_O

kharma45

How are these Z77 motherboards and which would be the best?

MSI Z77A-G43
MSI Z77A-G45
MSI Z77A-G43 Gaming Series
MSI Z77A-GD55
Gigabyte Z77-D3H
Gigabyte Z77X-D3H
ASRock Z77 Fatal1ty Performance

Trying to find one relatively cheap with decent onboard audio and good overclocking ability (4.6 is ideal). Not too fussed on PCI ports at all as I only need two (PCI-E 16x and PCI-E 1x). While I don't mind going £150, I'd prefer to save as much money as possible for the CPU itself and additional HDDs.

My vote would be GD55.

scogoth

I watched several videos of people doing it. It still scared me. One of the videos the guy had a hard time stopping his hands from shaking.

Links?
Edit: sorry I was ambiguous, I ment is there confirmation that haswell is TIM not solder, I have already delidded my ivy bridge

mkenyon

Banned
TTL has more or less confirmed it. He didn't come out and say "Haswell isn't soldered", but he did say he'll be releasing a delidding guide in the next couple of days. That seems to say the same thing, but I like something a bit more concrete.

TheExodu5

Banned
Can you elaborate? I'm monitor shopping.

I just picked up an Asus VG248QE. I normally use a 32" HDTV has a bit of input lag and not the greatest motion. 120 Hz with LightBoost (hack that allows for even better response times) is a gamechanger for me. It's incredibly fast...it's like playing on a really fast CRT monitor.

I do have an issue now, though. I'm keeping my new monitor in portrait for regular usage, and just pulling it out in landscape when I want to play competitive games. I need a quick and easy way to manage this. I need to be able to launch my game on the monitor of my choice, and be able to orient the picture from portrait to landscape easily. Might be a bit of a pain as it stands.

thefil

Hey guys,

My girlfriend's gaming laptop just died, and she wants to build a cute mini-ITX machine to replace it. I emphasize *cute* and *mini-ITX*, as the look of the case is important to her.

Right now we're looking at this rig:
ASRock Z87E-ITX motherboard
GTX 660 2GB
SilverStone FT03 OR Coolermaster Elite 120 Advance
SILVERSTONE ST45SF 450W SFX12V PSU

I am very open to suggestions on this machine. I don't know if we need a motherboard that expensive, but I saw the ASRock Z77 came highly recommended. I am concerned about cooling, but hoping that the Haswell CPU will make that less of an issue. I'm also wondering if we need an aftermarket CPU heatsink for a case in this form factor. Finally, are there modular SFX power supplies out there?

In terms of games, she would really like to play Watch Dogs when that comes out, and it's indicative of the kind of game she likes (Sleeping Dogs, Yakuza, Saints Row).

Baleoce

Can you elaborate? I'm monitor shopping.

Use this website for a reference guide, especially if you have gaming in mind. Don't listen to the response time they tell you on the product page (for example that VG248QE above states a 1ms response time, when it's actually at least 18ms. I don't know what the actual response time is, but it's definitely not under that number.), go by this:

http://www.displaylag.com/display-database/

It isn't a complete list, but it gives you a good reference on what to look out for.

Oxn

Hey guys,

My girlfriend's gaming laptop just died, and she wants to build a cute mini-ITX machine to replace it. I emphasize *cute* and *mini-ITX*, as the look of the case is important to her.

GTX 660 2GB

I am very open to suggestions on this machine. I don't know if we need a motherboard that expensive, but I saw the ASRock Z77 came highly recommended. I am concerned about cooling, but hoping that the Haswell CPU will make that less of an issue. I'm also wondering if we need an aftermarket CPU heatsink for a case in this form factor. Finally, are there modular SFX power supplies out there?

In terms of games, she would really like to play Watch Dogs when that comes out, and it's indicative of the kind of game she likes (Sleeping Dogs, Yakuza, Saints Row).

But neither of those cases are cute

kharma45

Hey guys,

GTX 660 2GB

BitFenix Prodigy is cuter than either of those imo.

News Bot

Banned
I just picked up an Asus VG248QE. I normally use a 32" HDTV has a bit of input lag and not the greatest motion. 120 Hz with LightBoost (hack that allows for even better response times) is a gamechanger for me. It's incredibly fast...it's like playing on a really fast CRT monitor.

I do have an issue now, though. I'm keeping my new monitor in portrait for regular usage, and just pulling it out in landscape when I want to play competitive games. I need a quick and easy way to manage this. I need to be able to launch my game on the monitor of my choice, and be able to orient the picture from portrait to landscape easily. Might be a bit of a pain as it stands.

I've heard the colors look terrible and it really only shines when used in conjunction with a NVIDIA card (and LightBoost causes a loss of brightness, somewhat counter to the name)... that's disappointing.

Blizzard

Banned
The addition of Haswell to product lists has only made it even more of a nightmare to decide on a motherboard. So damn much and all with mostly the same names give or take a letter or two and no clear indication as to the difference.
I've been reading up on Haswell and could use some direction from those more familiar with the new chipset.

I have held off on upgrading my Mobo/CPU and had the intent on waiting until Haswell hit the market, but as I am reading things perhaps an upgrade would be down another path.

I am running an i7-930. If I am going to upgrade, do I go with the Haswell 1150 socket or grab an Ivy board/CPU. Will the 1150 socket be supported for some time to come? When I grabbed the i7-930 on its 1366 board, a few months later news broke that the 1366 was a dead platform.

Thoughts? I don't do CPU intensive tasks aside from what games stress. I do enjoy tinkering with overclocking.

This is sort of what makes me a little antsy about ordering a Haswell motherboard and CPU like literally the day it's released. Presumably the PC parts picker website and suggestions given would make sure that I don't find a motherboard that would be incompatible, and it sounds like the Haswell motherboard would be good for a year or two.

Are there any advantages to Ivy Bridge other than the price (and how much are we talking, like $100 difference)?

Thanks again for all the suggestions so far.

I'd go 3770K.
Like this for example -- why 3770K over Haswell?

kharma45

This is sort of what makes me a little antsy about ordering a Haswell motherboard and CPU like literally the day it's released. Presumably the PC parts picker website and suggestions given would make sure that I don't find a motherboard that would be incompatible, and it sounds like the Haswell motherboard would be good for a year or two.

Are there any advantages to Ivy Bridge other than the price (and how much are we talking, like $100 difference)?

Thanks again for all the suggestions so far.

Like this for example -- why 3770K over Haswell?

The Haswell chip is only marginally faster for single threaded stuff but when it comes to multi threaded applications the 3770K performs much better http://www.anandtech.com/show/7003/the-haswell-review-intel-core-i74770k-i54560k-tested/6

kennah

It's cute enough, but too big. :) It's got an extra 5" in one dimension on either of the other cases.
Where are you and what is your budget to preserve cuteness? I'm slowly becoming the itx case expert :p. too bad you just missed out on the Splash

thefil

I'm assuming it's too soon to tell, but just in case: what are the perceived benefits of a 4670K over, say, a 4570S. Especially if overclocking is off the table.

TheExodu5

Banned
I've heard the colors look terrible and it really only shines when used in conjunction with a NVIDIA card (and LightBoost causes a loss of brightness, somewhat counter to the name)... that's disappointing.

Terrible? No. Not that bad for a TN panel. Not nearly as good as my HDTV's PVA panel. From a competitive gaming standpoint, I'd never go to anything less...it has made a huge difference in Counter-Strike for me.

thefil

Where are you and what is your budget to preserve cuteness? I'm slowly becoming the itx case expert :p. too bad you just missed out on the Splash

We are in Canada. I'd say the cuteness budget is around $150 (over a non-cute machine). I would love your itx case expertise.

LCGeek

formerly sane

Do you use ultramon? That's what I use for the 2 or 3 screens attached to this. You'd have to create profile but it sounds like that might be the only thing to help out with it.

najt

Neo Member
How are these Z77 motherboards and which would be the best?

MSI Z77A-G43
MSI Z77A-G45
MSI Z77A-G43 Gaming Series
MSI Z77A-GD55
Gigabyte Z77-D3H
Gigabyte Z77X-D3H
ASRock Z77 Fatal1ty Performance

Trying to find one relatively cheap with decent onboard audio and good overclocking ability (4.6 is ideal). Not too fussed on PCI ports at all as I only need two (PCI-E 16x and PCI-E 1x). While I don't mind going £150, I'd prefer to save as much money as possible for the CPU itself and additional HDDs.

I have a MSI Z77A-G41 with a i5 3570K and GTX 670. Works great, they are always updating the BIOS and drivers with new features/fixes. Cheap too.

kennah

Thanks man! I will be keeping an eye on the thread.

(She says thanks too).
While I'm digging look at the nicer models for now. Fractal Node, Silverstone SG05. Both small and boxy. But black. I'll see what I can dig up for 'cute' and I may have an interesting offer as well. Where in Canada?

Oxn

While I'm digging look at the nicer models for now. Fractal Node, Silverstone SG05. Both small and boxy. But black. I'll see what I can dig up for 'cute' and I may have an interesting offer as well. Where in Canada?

Dont bother i have extensively searched for attractive itx case for like half a year and i am unable to.

The only exception is the 150 watt htpc case by origenae m10
But i would like to go with a little more power.

The other exception are the japanese only Abee cases.

kennah

Dont bother i have extensively searched for attractive itx case for like half a year and i am unable to.

The only exception is the 150 watt htpc case by origenae m10
But i would like to go with a little more power.

The other exception are the japanese only Abee cases.

I'm trying to decide which one I want my friend in Japan to bring back with him :p

Another of your earlier questions - silverstone makes a modular sfx 450w psu

thefil

White Node 304 passes the cute test, but the Silverstone SG05 is too ugly. Sorry to be so picky :).

Ontario.

ROR! Finally upgrading from my Lynnfield 870.

Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD4H + i5 4670K bundle at Microcenter - $350
Corsair Vengeance 16GB 1600
Samsung 840 Pro 256GB

You have exactly 1 hour to talk me out of any said parts.

Will my existing heatsink work? I'm assuming the mounting holes haven't changed at all.

kennah

White Node 304 passes the cute test, but the Silverstone SG05 is too ugly. Sorry to be so picky :).

Ontario.

Don't worry about picky. I agonized about an itx case for months until I was goaded into the CompactSplash. :). The white node is beautiful if you can find one. SG05 isn't so bad when you are holding it. How about something custom modded?

thefil

Don't worry about picky. I agonized about an itx case for months until I was goaded into the CompactSplash. :). The white node is beautiful if you can find one. SG05 isn't so bad when you are holding it. How about something custom modded?

Assuming custom modded doesn't take us outside the price range, it's a possibility. But I think we'd have to be sold pretty hard on the benefits.

Oxn

Not into the compact splash

A little too vig, and the edges look so sharp

I'm trying to keep my build under or right at $1500. Its at $1600 right now. I knocked my RAM from 16GB to 8GB even though I really didn't want to. I also bumped my SSD down again to just a 128GB Samsung 840.

I could drop from a 4770K to a 4670K. Is there going to be a big difference? I do want to stick with Haswell so I can have the new socket. I'm thinking I can just go with the 4670K and upgrade in a few years to the latest.

Also based on a few of the reviews it looks like in a few games the 4670K outperformed the 4770K.

I guess my main question is is there going to be a noticable benefit to the 4770K over the 4670K?

kennah

I'm trying to keep my build under or right at $1500. Its at $1600 right now. I knocked my RAM from 16GB to 8GB even though I really didn't want to. I also bumped my SSD down again to just a 128GB Samsung 840.

I could drop from a 4770K to a 4670K. Is there going to be a big difference? I do want to stick with Haswell so I can have the new socket. I'm thinking I can just go with the 4670K and upgrade in a few years to the latest.

Also based on a few of the reviews it looks like in a few games the 4670K outperformed the 4770K.

I guess my main question is is there going to be a noticable benefit to the 4770K over the 4670K?
Are you just playing games or is video encoding part of your job? The i7 is really only necessary if you are using the computer for work. It doesn't provide much advantage in games - at this point. Things might change in a year. But that is in a year.

Are you just playing games or is video encoding part of your job? The i7 is really only necessary if you are using the computer for work. It doesn't provide much advantage in games - at this point. Things might change in a year. But that is in a year.

No, no video editing. I'll be using it for dev work but nothing major. Just web and mobile.

I'll switch out to the 4670. Thanks!

Lexxon

The below from PCPartPicker is what I'm starting to eye for a potential Haswell build. I'm rocking an i7-930 right now with a GTX 460. Note that the memory is already purchased in anticipation, and the PSU/SSD would be coming from my current build, so those are just labeled with my already purchased price. Also the mobo will end up being $169.99 after combo savings.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($297.48 @ Microcenter)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($78.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Asus Z87-PLUS ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
Memory: Crucial Ballistix 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (Purchased For $76.49)
Storage: Crucial M4 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk (Purchased For $179.99)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 770 2GB Video Card ($409.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair Enthusiast 750W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply (Purchased For $59.74)
Total: $1102.68
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-06-02 20:32 EDT-0400)

I haven't picked out a case yet and am still considering a mini-ITX build, which would require going Ivy or waiting for those boards to start coming out for Haswell. I loved the look of the BitFenix Prodigy that was mentioned earlier in this thread. So what do you really miss out on with a mini-ITX build? I imagine cooling is a little harder (not everything will fit, like my air cooler picked out above, maybe swap for an H80/H90?), and thus, overclocking probably won't do as well as it would on a full sized case. But I've started to move my rig around more often, going to friends' houses and such, so cutting down the size is a nice idea I'm toying with.

I'm not totally married to Haswell, but I hate to have waited for it for so many months and not move to it. Also considering the i5 to save some bucks.

Also considering just saving some coin and sticking with the i7-930 and just getting the 770. The 460 has been great but some newer games are starting to finally push it at 1680x1050.

So many options. So much time to be wasted considering them all. o_o

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom