• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 1. Haswell, Crysis 3, and secret fairy sauce. Read da OP

Status
Not open for further replies.

kharma45

Amazon stopped selling the "7950" now lol. They even changed the pic to a 7950 now oddly.

How are decent AMD board priced? The CPU is only £40 less than a 4670K, coupled in with high power usage is it worth it?

Yeah I've seen that too lol be interesting to see what happens.

Talking say £110 for the Gigabyte 990 UD3 for an AMD CPU. Looking at the latest CPU frame latencies from Tech Report they're pretty competitive imo.

Intel is obviously still stronger but the AMD 8 'core' aren't a bad option at the mid range.

In the market for a new SSD. I'm aiming for one thats roughly 240-256 GB.

How are the crucial m4's? They seem to be about my price point.

They're very good still. I'd go for the 250GB Samsung 840 though.

Addnan

The argument that 1155 is a dead socket is kinda pointless though right? If Ivy can be had for slightly cheaper right now, with performance pretty much on par then whats the point of going Haswell. If you go Haswell most people will not upgrade to Broadwell since it won't be a big change. The socket will die there too :/.

I've been debating this with my little brother. He doesn't really know what I am talking about.

ahayschi

Neo Member
Does anyone have any suggestions for a good middle ground between CPU and a graphics card? I'm planning my first computer build, and I was wondering which Intel CPU and graphics card to buy.

Next year I'll be programming and compiling code throughout the year for university classes, and I also work with photoshop and generally just have a lot of programs open and running. I also want to pick-up gaming again (after a long hiatus!). Would the i7-4770K be overkill and a 660 Ti or 760 be underkill? I plan on having two displays and overclocking the CPU if that helps.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
The argument that 1155 is a dead socket is kinda pointless though right? If Ivy can be had for slightly cheaper right now, with performance pretty much on par then whats the point of going Haswell. If you go Haswell most people will not upgrade to Broadwell since it won't be a big change. The socket will die there too :/.

I've been debating this with my little brother. He doesn't really know what I am talking about.
Yeah. It's what I'm wrangling with now.

Especially since it might be a minor upgrade, or a long wait.
Does anyone have any suggestions for a good middle ground between CPU and a graphics card? I'm planning my first computer build, and I was wondering which Intel CPU and graphics card to buy.

Next year I'll be programming and compiling code throughout the year for university classes, and I also work with photoshop and generally just have a lot of programs open and running. I also want to pick-up gaming again (after a long hiatus!). Would the i7-4770K be overkill and a 660 Ti or 760 be underkill? I plan on having two displays and overclocking the CPU if that helps.
Fill out OP list :)

nbthedude

I agree with this assessment.

Addnan

Also if I got a new system this year, how long would I be good with a 7850?
Depends on the performance levels you find acceptable really. It will be able to run games for a while, but as time passes settings will need to be lowered no doubt and performance will drop as games become more demanding.

Akai__

1.20V - 4.6Ghz - H100 with dual SP120's on an open bench - 91C
Are you fucking kidding me

So, basically they ruined Haswell for overclockers? What should I do now? I wanted to get the i7-4770K and the Gigabyte GA Z87X OC board...

Oh and my PSU, which is on RMA can't be repaired or exchanged. It was a Corsair AX850. I need a similiar one, which is very quite, like that one. Can somebody recommend me a coupple PSU's?

RedSwirl

Depends on the performance levels you find acceptable really. It will be able to run games for a while, but as time passes settings will need to be lowered no doubt and performance will drop as games become more demanding.

I'd be satisfied if I could run new games at 60fps in 1080p for the next couple years, then upgrade in 2015 or something.

kharma45

So, basically they ruined Haswell for overclockers? What should I do now? I wanted to get the i7-4770K and the Gigabyte GA Z87X OC board...

Oh and my PSU, which is on RMA can't be repaired or exchanged. It was a Corsair AX850. I need a similiar one, which is very quite, like that one. Can somebody recommend me a coupple PSU's?

Something like this suit you OK? http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00B88Z314/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Edit - AX850 is the same price again if you were happy with it for the same price after codes and rebate http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

RedSwirl

That GPU is a tiny bit slower than the one in the PS4. There's no way you'll get 1080p 60FPS on the majority of games over the next few years.

I'm still wondering if it's worth downgrading some less important parts like my keyboard in order to slide something a bit more powerful in there. I'm generally trying to get a card under $300 right now though.

Salaadin

I ordered some RAM to go with my new motherboard because (I know this is dumb) I wanted it color matched.
The only red Corsair RAM to go with my red motherboard was DDR3 1866. The mobo supported DDR3 1866 according to newegg so I thought all was fine.

However, looking at MSIs website, it says "1866 (OC)" (newegg didnt have the OC there) on it. Does this mean I have to overclock to hit 1866? I plan to eventually but what happens if I just put 1866 RAM in there without overclocking first?

About to pull the trigger on this in a few weeks, thoughts? I might wait out a bit for a 4gb version of the 770, not really liking the 2gb.

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/12wDC
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/12wDC/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/12wDC/benchmarks/

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($349.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Asus SABERTOOTH Z87 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($266.30 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($174.17 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 840 Pro Series 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($219.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($128.44 @ Amazon)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 770 2GB Video Card ($419.99 @ Amazon)
Case: NZXT Phantom 820 (Grey) ATX Full Tower Case ($179.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: Corsair Professional 750W 80 PLUS Silver Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($90.50 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($14.98 @ Outlet PC)
Total: $1916.34
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-06-03 17:00 EDT-0400)

Yeah it is. I edited it already. I don't know why he is assuming the PS4 is more powerful given that the 7950 can literally do twice as many calculations overclocked.
lol, calm down, the guy is talking about a 7850 which actually is slower than the PS4 GPU if you'd bother to check.

silentQ

As far as TFLOPS I think the 7870 is about equivalent I am actually using the PS4 as an approximate baseline for my build as well so that I can play games this upcoming generation, at least that is the aim.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
My question got lost, what's a good range of temperatures for my CPU to be operating at, generally?

Addnan

About to pull the trigger on this in a few weeks, thoughts? I might wait out a bit for a 4gb version of the 770, not really liking the 2gb.

Memory: Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($174.17 @ Amazon)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($128.44 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair Professional 750W 80 PLUS Silver Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($90.50 @ Newegg)
I don't think the 750W Corsair HX is a Seasonic, could be wrong. I'm sure someone will correct me. I would go for a gold rated Seasonic over that. This will be plently if you want to save a bit of money. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151119 or the x650 if you don't mind spending a bit more.

That Platinum RAM is not really needed, it's very pretty though. You can go with standard set of G-Skill Ripjaw for a lot less.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
It is?

What CPU? Overclocked? Idle temps and load temps?
FX 4170, don't plan on overclocking, fans are spinning even at idle and under load it never gets over 50 C so I'm trying to mess with the fan settings.

kennah

I ordered some RAM to go with my new motherboard because (I know this is dumb) I wanted it color matched.
The only red Corsair RAM to go with my red motherboard was DDR3 1866. The mobo supported DDR3 1866 according to newegg so I thought all was fine.

However, looking at MSIs website, it says "1866 (OC)" (newegg didnt have the OC there) on it. Does this mean I have to overclock to hit 1866? I plan to eventually but what happens if I just put 1866 RAM in there without overclocking first?

Technically anything over 1600 is an overclock. Though i think Haswell does officially support some higher rams. Nothing bad will happen either way. You'll be finel

I don't think the 750W Corsair HX is a Seasonic, could be wrong. I'm sure someone will correct me. I would go for a gold rated Seasonic over that. This will be plently if you want to save a bit of money. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151119 or the x650 if you don't mind spending a bit more.

That Platinum RAM is not really needed, it's very pretty though. You can go with standard set of G-Skill Ripjaw for a lot less.

Will check out that power supply, and i'm mainly getting that ram for the looks in my build lol, it fits in my budget so I have no problems getting it.

kharma45

FX 4170, don't plan on overclocking, fans are spinning even at idle and under load it never gets over 50 C so I'm trying to mess with the fan settings.

For a Bulldozer CPU I would recommend OCing, they're really quite weak per thread.

Fans will always spin at idle, and 50 degrees is great for load.

Addnan

Yeah, posted about that a little after I made that post.
£35 cheaper but you get a free game with Haswell that you can sell for ~£25. The only real price consideration between Haswell and Ivy Bridge is the cost of the motherboard.
Its going to get flooded with GRID 2 prices will be pushed down. I don't see who is going to pay that much especially when you could buy the game before launch for £20..

mkenyon

Banned

H100i is overkill. No insane cooler is going to keep it cool once you hit that heatwall. Step down to something like the H60, IMO.

Dom Plats are pretty, and pretty overpriced. Only buy these if this is a showcase build.

Full towers are silly unless you want to water cool (as in, a DIY full system). Think about the Fractal Arc Midi R2 instead, or a Fractal Define R4. If you want it for the aesthetics, then by all means. The 820 is a good case.

Drop down PSU to something like a 650. With SLI 770s and an overclocked Haswell chip, you'd be looking at about 500W load during gaming.

Sabertooth is a bad value. Every board in its price range is better equipped.

With all of that said, if you've picked a lot of these parts based on aesthetics rather than value, then everything you have selected is great quality.

Akai__

ahayschi

Neo Member
Yeah. It's what I'm wrangling with now.

Especially since it might be a minor upgrade, or a long wait.

Fill out OP list :)

Sure!

Budget: $1,600 (not including keyboard, mouse, displays)
Main Use: Programming, HD Streaming, General usage, Gaming
Monitor Resolution: I have an ASUS VS248H -P 24" and will buy another one eventually, 1920x1080
List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: Need to run eclipse and other IDE's well, photoshop, and I'd like around 50-60FPS with decent settings
Looking to reuse any parts?: No old parts to use
When will you build?: Building in Mid-July, so Haswell and 7xx cards will be on the table
Will you be overclocking?: Yes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom