• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 1. Haswell, Crysis 3, and secret fairy sauce. Read da OP

Status
Not open for further replies.

kharma45

I'm in the exact same situation, but I really don't want to go ATI. I knew the 4gb models would be popular.

Well that's good as ATI doesn't exist any more ;)

What's putting you off AMD?

So this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202026

vs.

this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202008

Is the performance boost worth the extra $100? I'm getting a 4670K for my CPU w/ 8GB of RAM.

Once I have this graphics card choice nailed down I'm ordering my build tonight :D :D :D

To me it's not, I would just get the 7950 and OC the nuts off it if the one you get allows it. I'm more of a performance-per-dollar/pound kind of person :p

Salaadin

I'm in the exact same situation, but I really don't want to go ATI. I knew the 4gb models would be popular.

Between card performance, prices, and free games, AMD is easily the best bang for your buck right now. I think itd be wise to take another look at them.

Smash88

Banned
This is wild.

Getting average 65-70fps in BF3 @ 2560x1440. Maxed out with x4 MSAA and I haven't even OCed my CPU or GPU yet. All of this on a 64 player server and a huge map. I couldn't even play on a server bigger than 24 players with terrible stuttering on my old build.

I've never been happier. This GTX Titan just bulldozes over any game I throw at it - with insane AA settings. Installing more games as we speak.

Off to buy a star shaped screwdriver and get this backplate installed.

Can't wait to OC my CPU/GPU. The potential for 15-20fps+ is awesome. I'm like a little giddy school girl.

Willectro

Banned
Well that's good as ATI doesn't exist any more ;)

What's putting you off AMD?

Err, yea you're right. I feel old now.

I've just always used nvidia and never had a bad experience. I'm really not to hot about the issues certain games have had (metro LL for one) with AMD. I'm not too worried about saving 5-10% nor do I need free games, although the GHZ edition is tempting.

Sothpaw

So with the 7970, does it play nice with an intel card/mobo? I will not run into any issues switching to an nvidia card later if I wanted to right?

Just a little wary because it seems all I hear about is how much better nvidia is nowadays. I did have an ATI 9800XT back in 2004 and loved that thing to death.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
This is wild.

Getting average 65-70fps in BF3 @ 2560x1440. Maxed out with x4 MSAA and I haven't even OCed my CPU or GPU yet. All of this on a 64 player server and a huge map. I couldn't even play on a server bigger than 24 players with terrible stuttering on my old build.

I've never been happier. This GTX Titan just bulldozes over any game I throw at it - with insane AA settings. Installing more games as we speak.

Can't wait to OC my CPU/GPU. The potential for 15-20fps+ is awesome. I'm like a little giddy school girl.
Looks like 4.5 will be the sane 24/7 OC for many on Haswell. Dat heat.
Go wild on GPU though.
Sweet thanks!

Edit: Silly question how do I know if I can overclock it before I buy it?
You can.
So with the 7970, does it play nice with an intel card/mobo? I will not run into any issues swithing to an nvidia card later if I wanted to right?

Just a little wary because it seems all I hear about is how much better nvidia is nowadays. I did have an ATI 9800XT back in 2004 and loved that thing to death.
Yup.
Day 0 support isn't as good and there are some enthusiast nicities with nVidia, but for performance/$, more memory, and free games you can't beat AMD.

kharma45

Err, yea you're right. I feel old now.

I've just always used nvidia and never had a bad experience. I'm really not to hot about the issues certain games have had (metro LL for one) with AMD. I'm not too worried about saving 5-10% nor do I need free games, although the GHZ edition is tempting.

The LL bug was 4A's fault though I thought. Problems can happen with both sides but anecdotally Nvidia is smoother on day 0.

Sweet thanks!

You can, but how far will depend on the silicon lottery of your card.

So with the 7970, does it play nice with an intel card/mobo? I will not run into any issues switching to an nvidia card later if I wanted to right?

No problems with either of those things.

Monarch

Banned
Going from i5 2500K@4.5GHz to i7 4470K@4.5Ghz, what tangible gains of performance should I expect in games and application ? Heat shouldn't be a problem, I've got like 5 fans just for the CPU.
I'm on fence of selling my mobo+my i5 to my brother to get Haswell.

tarheel91

Sweet thanks!

You can overclock any modern high end graphics card. The real limit is how well it's cooling system has been designed. That comes down to the supplier. I've had great results with my Gigabyte 7950. I'm currently at 1070MHz vs. 850MHz base. It's about on par with a base 7970GE based on a few benchmarks I ran.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Going from i5 2500K@4.5GHz to i7 4470K@4.5Ghz, what tangible gains of performance should I expect in games and application ? Heat shouldn't be a problem, I've got like 5 fans just for the CPU.
It will be a problem unless you are running a chilled water loop. Don't upgrade. Answer to your question is nothing tangible except maybe some minimum frame smoothing in games. ~10% boost.

I just posted this in the Haswell thread:
OC3D did some overclocking in their Youtube review:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=xrLtjgbga5g#t=1714s

1.20V - 4.6Ghz - H100 with dual SP120's on an open bench - 91C
Are you fucking kidding me

kharma45

You'll get a gaming comparison on this page of the Anandtech review http://www.anandtech.com/show/7003/the-haswell-review-intel-core-i74770k-i54560k-tested/6 and productivity benches here http://www.anandtech.com/show/7003/the-haswell-review-intel-core-i74770k-i54560k-tested/6

kharma45

It will be a problem unless you are running a chilled water loop. Don't upgrade. Answer to your question is nothing tangible except maybe some minimum frame smoothing in games. ~10% boost.

I just posted this in the Haswell thread:
OC3D did some overclocking in their Youtube review:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=xrLtjgbga5g#t=1714s

1.20V - 4.6Ghz - H100 with dual SP120's on an open bench - 91C
Are you fucking kidding me

Tech Report recently posted this.

To start, we let the motherboard select CPU voltages automatically as we raised the multiplier. We made it up to 4.2GHz without issue, and CPU-Z reported a CPU voltage of 1.2V at that speed. The system blue-screened at as soon as we started our stress test at 4.3GHz, though. Setting the CPU voltage to 1.25V kept the loaded system stable for a couple of minutes before the next BSOD, so we added more. In the end, 4.3GHz required 1.275V.

That voltage bump was enough to sustain our CPU up to 4.5GHz. However, blue screens at 4.6GHz forced us to nudge the CPU up to 1.3V. At 4.7GHz, the chip needed 1.35V, and its core temperatures spiked up to 84°C with regularity—even with the water cooler's fans and pump going at full blast. Thermal throttling didn't rear its head until we tried for 4.8GHz, though. Keeping BSODs at bay at that speed required 1.375V, and the additional voltage sent temperatures into the 90s. No amount of further tweaking produced a stable, throttle-free config at 4.8GHz.

rig.jpg

http://techreport.com/review/24889/haswell-overclocked-the-core-i7-4770k-at-4-7ghz

Gigabyte

Sothpaw

Ok guys you have convinced me that the 7970 is the way to go. Couple more questions (and again I really appreciate all the help).

For $399 with amazon prime I am looking at a Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 OC with Boost 3GB DDR5. It says 850/1000 (boost) MHz core clock. Does that sound good? Is Sapphire a good brand?

Also, since that card is "boosted" should I look into getting some more fans? I have the NZXT Switch 810 full tower as my case. As of now I have no additional fans ordered (other than my heatsink). I have no problem spending some more money to add fans if they will help keep things cool.

Edit: There is also a 7970 ghz edition listed for $399. Sapphire Radeon Vapor X. Should I get that instead?

Edit 2: And there's a gigabyte windforce version that is discounted from $599 to $399. This one is 1000mzh.

Smokey

This is wild.

Ready for titan #2 yet?

kharma45

Ok guys you have convinced me that the 7970 is the way to go. Couple more questions (and again I really appreciate all the help).

For $399 with amazon prime I am looking at a Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 OC with Boost 3GB DDR5. It says 850/1000 (boost) MHz core clock. Does that sound good? Is Sapphire a good brand?

Also, since that card is "boosted" should I look into getting some more fans? I have the NZXT Switch 810 full tower as my case. As of now I have no additional fans ordered (other than my heatsink). I have no problem spending some more money to add fans if they will help keep things cool.

Edit: There is also a 7970 ghz edition listed for $399. Sapphire Radeon Vapor X. Should I get that instead?

Edit 2: And there's a gigabyte windforce version that is discounted from $599 to $399. This one is 1000mzh.

That Sapphire Vapor-X is $380 after rebate too. It can hit 1050MHz with the boost clock and should be able to OC beyond that all being well.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B008PQAE98/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Edit - Hmm Amazon aren't listing the free games with it :\ Newegg do for it http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202001 and the standard model http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202008

nbthedude

That Sapphire Vapor-X is $380 after rebate too. It can hit 1050MHz with the boost clock and should be able to OC beyond that all being well.

Edit - Hmm Amazon aren't listing the free games with it :\ Newegg do for it http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202001 and the standard model http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202008

You can do it through Amazon too. Here is the link to the AMD bundle on their site. You just need to go through and find the card you want (4 pages of them) and add to cart.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html?ie=UTF8&docId=1000859341&plgroup=1

nbthedude

Sapphire is a good brand. I personally have their 7970GHZ and have had no problems at all, performance or drivers, in the six months I've owned it.

But really the only thing that matters on those 7970s is how good of a cooler/how quite it is for potential overclocking. They are essentially the same.

nbthedude

Ah excellent, that Vapor-X is great value then.

Yeah $379 for a 7970GHZ is the cheapest I think I've ever seen them. That's one hell of deal for a 3GB card that comes with three new games and that trades blows with the Geforce 770, which costs significantly more and has 1GB less RAM.

Frostburn

Yeah for $399 if you like/want AMD cards and you like the game bundle you can't go wrong with the Sapphire Vapor-X for under $400! I was looking hard at that at $450 till the GTX 770's came out.

HoosTrax

What the heck is that on the Sapphire VaporX box? Almost looks like The Boss wearing a white wookie mask.

At that price, I'm half tempted to buy one myself, as a stopgap while waiting for next gen to arrive.

Ezalc

So guys, planning on finally making a new computer since my current desktop broke. I was talking to a friend of mine and basically told him how I want to "future proof"my computer a little bit. Basically told me to get the following parts so far:

GeForce GTX 690
Intel i7-3770k processor
And this motherboard.

I admit to not have much knowledge in terms of computer parts and stuff, so I just wanted to hear some more opinions on it. I only have these three parts picked out so far, the desktop would obviously be used for gaming a lot and etc.

nbthedude

Third one over on this link.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html?ie=UTF8&docId=1000859341&plgroup=1

It's the Sapphire Vapor X for $379 after rebate w/ the free games:

That's the best deal. It is also literally the exact model I have and it runs great.

There is also a PowerColor one on page 3 for $369, even $10 cheaper, but frankly, I'd pay the $10 extra for the Sapphire.

Addnan

So guys, planning on finally making a new computer since my current desktop broke. I was talking to a friend of mine and basically told him how I want to "future proof"my computer a little bit. Basically told me to get the following parts so far:

GeForce GTX 690
Intel i7-3770k processor
And this motherboard.

I admit to not have much knowledge in terms of computer parts and stuff, so I just wanted to hear some more opinions on it. I only have these three parts picked out so far, the desktop would obviously be used for gaming a lot and etc.
I would get a Titan over a 690. Better to have a singe card than have to deal with sli and Haswell just launched, you should get the 4770K instead with a compatible motherboard like the Z87 GD65.

Whats you overall budget and fill out the little questions in the OP!

HoosTrax

That's the best deal. It is also literally the exact model I have and it runs great.
How loud is the stock fan? Have you used an ASUS card before as well, and can compare?

As I understand it, GHZ cards are all considered non-reference and it's hard/impossible to find waterblocks for them.

RedSwirl

So I'm still looking at this built but haven't changed it since late last year: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/12An4

I obviously need to pick out some new memory, but I'm also curious about how to switch over to a Haswell chip. Is it even that important? I'm trying to stay at around $1000 for the whole system here. I also need good suggestions on an optical drive.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I got a new cpu and I've noticed the fans spin like crazy even at idle, single digits C° at times...so I guess ill try to change settings in bios. What is a good range of temps to stay between with a cpu anyway?

Tensketch

I asked this question a few weeks ago but now that it's out. I think I'm going to ask again.

I'm currently on a perfectly fine FX4100 build that came pre overclocked and I'm looking to upgrade. I'm not buying pre overclocked again as I want to buy my own parts and I decided since Haswell is coming out, that I may as well wait until it releases.

Couple of things:

- I'm based in the UK, so no, I cannot get to a Microcenter.

- I am on a budget, as much as I love these titan builds everyone is doing, I can't go wild with my spends. Best I can do is 4670k

- I'm combining parts from my current PC with this new build. I already have 16gig of Ram, so all I need is the MB and CPU.

- I am interested in trying an overclock, but I can't see myself pushing past 4-4.2ghz, at least not for my first try.

with that in mind, should I go for Haswell? or swerve it completely and go for last generation? Or just sack it all off completely and buy another AMD?

Addnan

I asked this question a few weeks ago but now that it's out. I think I'm going to ask again.

I'm currently on a perfectly fine FX4100 build that came pre overclocked and I'm looking to upgrade. I'm not buying pre overclocked again as I want to buy my own parts and I decided since Haswell is coming out, that I may as well wait until it releases.

Couple of things:

- I am on a budget, as much as I love these titan builds everyone is doing, I can't go wild with my spends. Best I can do is 4670k

- I'm combining parts from my current PC with this new build. I already have 16gig of Ram, so all I need is the MB and CPU.

- I am interested in trying an overclock, but I can't see myself pushing past 4-4.2ghz, at least not for my first try.

with that in mind, should I go for Haswell? or swerve it completely and go for last generation? Or just sack it all off completely and buy another AMD?
Go with Haswell since the price in the UK are pretty much the same as Ivy. Don't get another AMD, not the current gen any way, just doesn't compare to Intel in gaming.

nbthedude

Couple of things:

What videocard? That kind of makes a difference in terms of bottleneck.

It seems to me though that Ivy remains the best bang for buck pretty clearly, especially with deals, better overclocks, and the overpriced motherboards on Haswell.

zeelman

I've had it with my NVIDIA GTX 660. I'm getting the Kernal 41 crash almost daily on this computer, when it never happened on my previous computer that I had this card in, and I'm on driver 314.22 (which is supposed to be stable). What's the AMD equivalent to the GTX 660? Radeon 7870?

nbthedude

How loud is the stock fan? Have you used an ASUS card before as well, and can compare?

As I understand it, GHZ cards are all considered non-reference and it's hard/impossible to find waterblocks for them.

I have no way of measuring the decibels. The best I can do is say that it idles about as loud as the newer Xbox Slims and when it gets going full blast, like if I'm running a game and alt+tab out and surf the next for a while with the game still running, it can be about as loud as the the old fat Xboxs at times. I generally wear headphones when I game, so sound is not an issue to me. It's quite enough and stays very cool and stable.

kharma45

Tempting offer from Flubit on a 7950, still doing what Amazon do with the wrong image which worries me

I've had it with my NVIDIA GTX 660. I'm getting the Kernal 41 crash almost daily on this computer, when it never happened on my previous computer that I had this card in, and I'm on driver 314.22 (which is supposed to be stable). What's the AMD equivalent to the GTX 660? Radeon 7870?

Yeah the 7870, but for the same money you can get the 7870 XT which is almost a 7950.

Tried RMAing your 660?

Go with Haswell since the price in the UK are pretty much the same as Ivy. Don't get another AMD, not the current gen any way, just doesn't compare to Intel in gaming.

8350 isn't bad by any means, it's a good mid-range option imo. 8320 too.

Tensketch

What videocard? That kind of makes a difference in terms of bottleneck.

It seems to me though that Ivy remains the best bang for buck pretty clearly, especially with deals, better overclocks, and the overpriced motherboards on Haswell.

I got a 660ti which I got a few months ago (before I knew the 700 series existed), it's doing me pretty well.

Another question I needed to ask is regarding the cooler, if I'm overclocking, should I throw down for a H80i (H100 wont fit in my case)? I was considering the 212 EVO until I found out how hot Haswell chips get.

Addnan

Tempting offer from Flubit on a 7950, still doing what Amazon do with the wrong image which worries me

Yeah the 7870, but for the same money you can get the 7870 XT which is almost a 7950.

Tried RMAing your 660?

8350 isn't bad by any means, it's a good mid-range option imo. 8320 too.

Amazon stopped selling the "7950" now lol. They even changed the pic to a 7950 now oddly.

How are decent AMD board priced? The CPU is only £40 less than a 4670K, coupled in with high power usage is it worth it?

iqubal

Banned
In the market for a new SSD. I'm aiming for one thats roughly 240-256 GB.

How are the crucial m4's? They seem to be about my price point.

nbthedude

Amazon stopped selling the "7950" now lol. They even changed the pic to a 7950 now oddly.

How are decent AMD board priced? The CPU is only £40 less than a 4670K, coupled in with high power usage is it worth it?

They should just label it the 7950 LOL edition.

As for your second question, the general consensus right now is that, no it isn't worth it, at least not for gaming. There are some people who seem to think there is some giant anti-AMD conspiracy going on at all the major tech sites. But the best "bang for buck" combo right now at the mid-high range is AMD for graphics and Intel for processor.

Addnan

Couple of UK stores seem to be getting rid of the Ivy for slightly cheaper. Might be worth saving £30 for someone and putting it towards a slightly better video card? Overclockers £149.99 +delivery and £154 at Amazon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom