• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 1. Haswell, Crysis 3, and secret fairy sauce. Read da OP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Addnan

Sweet! Thanks. I'm not sure what OC'ing really does(I know it increases 'clock speeds') but should I over clock it? I don't want to risk doing it my self so I would probably find a place todo it for me

Its easy performance boost, there really is minimal risk involved and if you are not aiming for high clock getting it to 4-4.2 is easy as changing 2 digits in the bios.

ElFly

How's this. $991 before your keyboard and wireless card.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($199.99 @ Microcenter)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($22.98 @ Outlet PC)
Motherboard: MSI Z87-G45 Gaming ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($159.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($65.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial M4 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($119.99 @ Microcenter)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($53.98 @ Outlet PC)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 660 2GB Video Card ($187.99 @ Newegg)
Case: BitFenix Shinobi ATX Mid Tower Case ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic S12II 520W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($72.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $953.88
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-06-03 09:52 EDT-0400)

edit, damn it. It changes to microcentre. If you don't have one, its going to be more. In the link its not though.

If you are going for a GTX 660, go for the MSI one with the twin frozr fans

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/msi-video-card-n660tf2gd5oc

it's only seven dollars more but the damn thing is completely silent.

GAF, please help me.

I got this message for the first time about a week ago (can't remember if it was before or after installing the new nVidia drivers, I installed them on the 28th, last Tuesday), but then it went away.

ScreenHunter_40%20Jun.%2003%2015.21.jpg

However it's driving me crazy since this morning. The screen starts shaking and changing colours, sometimes it changes resolution, and then this pop-up comes up. I've been troubleshooting all day, installed new Intel HD Graphics drivers, and still nothing.

This is the first time it happens, and I have no other idea what to do (except probably revert to older nVidia drivers, IF it has something to do with my nVidia GPU).

Frostburn

GAF, please help me.

I got this message for the first time about a week ago (can't remember if it was before or after installing the new nVidia drivers, I installed them on the 28th, last Tuesday), but then it went away.

ScreenHunter_40%20Jun.%2003%2015.21.jpg

However it's driving me crazy since this morning. The screen starts shaking and changing colours, sometimes it changes resolution, and then this pop-up comes up. I've been troubleshooting all day, installed new Intel HD Graphics drivers, and still nothing.

This is the first time it happens, and I have no other idea what to do (except probably revert to older nVidia drivers, IF it has something to do with my nVidia GPU).

I'm guessing this is on your laptop? Make sure you clean out the drivers and revert back to the latest available from the laptop manufacturer's website. The switching from Intel integrated to the nvidia GPU is handled by special drivers.

lordy88

If you are going for a GTX 660, go for the MSI one with the twin frozr fans

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/msi-video-card-n660tf2gd5oc

it's only seven dollars more but the damn thing is completely silent.

Will do, thanks for the suggestion!

Here's the new, revamped build. I changed the graphics card, stuck in a Z87 Mobo which should be better of OC if I want to dabble with it. Any other changes before I pull the trigger?

Aim Price: sub $1000
Usage: A decent amount of gaming and Pro Tools editing.

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($249.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 76.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($19.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: MSI Z87-G41 PC Mate ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($117.55 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 840 Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($159.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Green 1.5TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 660 2GB Video Card ($194.99 @ Newegg)
Wireless Network Adapter: Rosewill RNX-N250PCe 802.11b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter ($17.24 @ Amazon)
Case: BitFenix Shinobi Window ATX Mid Tower Case ($74.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Antec Basiq Plus 550W 80 PLUS Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($69.99 @ Amazon)
Keyboard: V7 KM0B1-6N6 Wired Standard Keyboard ($13.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $978.70
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-06-03 10:49 EDT-0400)

Thanks for the help!

floodgate

Neo Member
I'm giddy with anticipation for my 780 to arrive, so I've been doing all my prep work ahead of time so I can just drop it in and get going right away. I've got a clean Win7 install on my SSD, but I'll be using my existing 1TB drive for storage which already has a Win7 install on it, along with my Steam library, etc. Obviously, I want to keep the Steam library, but would like to delete the system files to free up space, decrease the risk of possible conflicts, that sort of thing.

Is removing the OS from my old drive as simple as moving my Steam library to a safe folder, and just trashing everything else? Seems like it would be more complicated than that, but maybe not...?

I did get my shipping notification from Newegg this morning, my card is shipping from their California location today and I should have it on Thursday. I was kind of hoping for Wednesday, but now must wait till towards end of the week. :(

I'm going to be taking back my Corsair CX600M to get something with a bit more wattage since I am also going to be adding more case fans in the next few days + an SSD pretty soon, not that they draw a lot of power. I was looking at the following two, any thoughts?

Crosair CX750M
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=7564404&CatId=2533

Thermaltake Smart Series 750W
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2543335&CatId=5440

The biggest knock with the Thermaltake is that the fan does get a bit loud. I am not too sure how I feel about that since this is in a HTPC case. It looks like the CX750M uses better parts than the rest of the CX PSU's.

I am restricted to Tiger because I bought the 600 from there so I can exchange only. I'm looking to keep this at $100 or less.

Ah ok, yeah that is a much longer card than the EVGA ACX.

I'm guessing this is on your laptop? Make sure you clean out the drivers and revert back to the latest available from the laptop manufacturer's website. The switching from Intel integrated to the nvidia GPU is handled by special drivers.

Thanks for the reply Frostburn. I reverted to an older version of the nVidia drivers, and it seems to have done the trick.

Willectro

Banned
Sorry for the shitty iPhone pic. Just finished my build.

i7 4770k
Asus Sabertooth Z87
GTX Titan
Samsung 840 Pro
16GB DDR3 2133mhz Corsair Dominator Platinum

Running like a fucking champ. And so cool. Idle temps for me 35C on an H100i.

Coming from Q6600-4gb ddr2-gtx 470. The change is amazing. So smooth and I can load into Windows 8 in 5 seconds. FUCKING WUT!

Shout out to everyone that's helped me.

Special Titan shoutout to Smokey, my main man.

Installing BF3 and other games as we speak.

I will be getting some better resolution pics later this week, once everything has been all cleaned up.

Nice build. I'm getting the same cpu, mobo, and h100i, but can't splurge on the Titan, likely a 770/780. I already have a 840 pro too. I'll be getting a HAF XB and still unsure on PSU.

JoseDFrog

Banned
For Sale Kingwin Stryker 500W Fanless PSU for $100 OBO. It's in excellent condition, I have all the cables and box. Still has 4 years left on the warranty. It is completely silent, no fan and no coil whine. I'm looking to upgrade to something that can handle multiple GPUs. It says it's SLI capable and has cables to go out to two GPUs but I don't think it would handle two high end GPUS.
I don't know if I'm pricing this too high or not, but make me an offer, I'm willing to listen. Here's a link to it http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005CM8V4I/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Jesus these corsair Quiet AF/SF fans are expensive. I never thought I alone would spend 130 bucks on fans. Its just the stock fans in the 900d are just too damn loud.

Smokey

AErsFysl.jpg

Sorry for the shitty iPhone pic. Just finished my build.

i7 4770k
Asus Sabertooth Z87
GTX Titan
Samsung 840 Pro
16GB DDR3 2133mhz Corsair Dominator Platinum

Running like a fucking champ. And so cool. Idle temps for me 35C on an H100i.

Coming from Q6600-4gb ddr2-gtx 470. The change is amazing. So smooth and I can load into Windows 8 in 5 seconds. FUCKING WUT!

Shout out to everyone that's helped me.

Special Titan shoutout to Smokey, my main man.

rIi9o5T.gif

Installing BF3 and other games as we speak.

I will be getting some better resolution pics later this week, once everything has been all cleaned up.

Now you're playing with power
Play some games and be in awe of what you have built

diehard

Fleer
Well i have a GD65 Gaming, 4770k and a noctua d14 on the way.

All out of boredom.

Oh and a mSATA 64gb ssd to cache a 3TB spindle with my games.

lordy88

Alright, very last question!

What SSD do I go with?

The Samsung 128GB 840 Pro at $125

or

The Samsung 256GB 840 at $160?

Or is there another option that I should go with?

usea

What SSD do I go with?

or

The 840 is 250gb, not 256 fyi. And most people in here have said to go with the bigger drive. It'll last longer even though it's not pro, simply because it's larger.

Any suggestions for a flat surface mod so your tower can be placed on a rug? Thinking of just getting some type of door mat material for it lol

Any suggestions for a flat surface mod so your tower can be placed on a rug? Thinking of just getting some type of door mat material for it lol

I used a glass keyboard tray from an old computer desk. If you have a glass shop in your town, you can have something custom for less than $50.

mkenyon

Banned
From a few pages back:

Before really really putting stock in any one board, I would like to hear some user reviews. It seems like the major issues don't pop up until a month or so after release, and you get some more negative anecdotes out there.

Also, anyone in this thread that has an opinion one way or another, I'd love to hear it. Best part about PC GAF is that the collective knowledge adds up to one really smart motherfucker.

But, just going purely on features and every bit of information I can scrape together from reviews, these are my current leanings. Bolded are my specific picks for each category.

Enhanced: Gigabyte Z87MX-D3H, Gigabyte Z87-D3HP
Excellent: MSI G45 Gaming, ASUS Z87 Plus, Gigabyte UD3H
Enthusiast: MSI GD65 Gaming, Gigabyte Sniper M5, MSI MPower​

Features aren't the only thing different between motherboards. Types of capacitors, MOSFETs, power delivery, PCB thickness, on and on are all things that get worse the lower you go on motherboards.

While Z87 would indicate the ability to overclock, I'd imagine the things named above are skimped on quite a bit on that G41.

From a few pages back:
Just so you know, the MSI G45 and Gigabyte Z87-D3HP are the same price in the UK so that makes that chart a bit invalid for UK users (although the Gigabyte comes with a free £35 CPU cooler which just adds further complexity to the choice).

So I'm trying to finalze my build. I was going to get this motherboard: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130692

and this graphics card: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202026

but looking at what some others are getting; namely this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

I could save on my motherboard and put that extra $90 into a better graphics card.

It looks like the biggest difference between motherboards is the number of PCI slots and the number of SATA ports. Also less packins and fewer USB ports.

Does it make sense for me to go with the cheaper motherboard and upgrade my graphics card? Is there a better graphics card I get for $100 more that would make it worth it?

Edit: Z87 Northbridge means I can overclock?
The initial motherboard you chose has 12 CPU power phases whilst the G41 only has 4 which may possibly affect OCing.

mkenyon

Banned
Just so you know, the MSI G45 and Gigabyte Z87-D3HP are the same price in the UK so that makes that chart a bit invalid for UK users (although the Gigabyte comes with a free £35 CPU cooler which just adds further complexity to the choice).
Good to note. The G45 would be the board to go with then.

I think the MX-D3HP should be the baseline Z87 choice though.

Good to note. The G45 would be the board to go with then.

I think the MX-D3HP should be the baseline Z87 choice though.
Considering that you could sell the free CPU cooler for around £20 profit, would you still go with the MSI G45 over the Gigabyte (final price would be £108 for the MSI against ~£88 for the Gigabyte)? This is the choice I'm currently facing.

kharma45

Considering that you could sell the free CPU cooler for around £20 profit, would you still go with the MSI G45 over the Gigabyte (final price would be £108 for the MSI against ~£88 for the Gigabyte)? This is the choice I'm currently facing.

Depends on how much you care about OCing. MSI should be able to go a little bit further in that regard.

mkenyon

Banned
8 phase versus 4 phase kind of seals it for me personally, and it should for anyone who is looking to get a solid 4.2-4.4 OC.

It's also worth noting that the G45 as the ALC1150 audio, where the D3HP has the ALC892.

Depends on how much you care about OCing. MSI should be able to go a little bit further in that regard.
8 phase versus 4 phase kind of seals it for me personally, and it should for anyone who is looking to get a solid 4.2-4.4 OC.
Welp, looks like it's the MSI then. Thanks to you both. I'll probably wait for the GTX 760 Ti to come out first so that should give me a few days to see how the motherboard landscape changes.

clav

Is there anything wrong with a B85 North Bridge chipset?

I don't plan on RAID or SLI or overclocking on my ITX setup.

No overclocking because my previous Intel setup only lasted 6 years with it.

I want 10 years.

kharma45

What SSD do I go with?

or

250GB 840.

I did get my shipping notification from Newegg this morning, my card is shipping from their California location today and I should have it on Thursday. I was kind of hoping for Wednesday, but now must wait till towards end of the week. :(

I'm going to be taking back my Corsair CX600M to get something with a bit more wattage since I am also going to be adding more case fans in the next few days + an SSD pretty soon, not that they draw a lot of power. I was looking at the following two, any thoughts?

Crosair CX750M
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=7564404&CatId=2533

Thermaltake Smart Series 750W
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2543335&CatId=5440

The biggest knock with the Thermaltake is that the fan does get a bit loud. I am not too sure how I feel about that since this is in a HTPC case. It looks like the CX750M uses better parts than the rest of the CX PSU's.

I am restricted to Tiger because I bought the 600 from there so I can exchange only. I'm looking to keep this at $100 or less.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=580994&CatId=5439

Will do, thanks for the suggestion!

Here's the new, revamped build. I changed the graphics card, stuck in a Z87 Mobo which should be better of OC if I want to dabble with it. Any other changes before I pull the trigger?

Aim Price: sub $1000
Usage: A decent amount of gaming and Pro Tools editing.

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($249.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 76.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($19.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: MSI Z87-G41 PC Mate ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($117.55 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 840 Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($159.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Green 1.5TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 660 2GB Video Card ($194.99 @ Newegg)
Wireless Network Adapter: Rosewill RNX-N250PCe 802.11b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter ($17.24 @ Amazon)
Case: BitFenix Shinobi Window ATX Mid Tower Case ($74.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Antec Basiq Plus 550W 80 PLUS Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($69.99 @ Amazon)
Keyboard: V7 KM0B1-6N6 Wired Standard Keyboard ($13.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $978.70
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-06-03 10:49 EDT-0400)

Thanks for the help!

PSU wise check out the Seasonic G550 for $10 more. It's a better quality unit and is Gold rated for efficiency so should work out cheaper in the long run.

Rashid

Banned
Hi guys, I have a HP Elite 053uk PC from 2010 maybe I think it's a Sandy Bridge quad core i7 with 8GB and a (woeful) NVidia GT420, and it's really needs an upgrade (me and my friends from school, who are ditching their 360s and going to PC for DayZ, Woo!). I'm considering either flat out buying an Alienware X51 for a fairly reasonable £600-700. However, I'm considering buying the 650Ti or HD7850 cards (both have dat 2GB GDDR5) and maybe some Corsair 1600MHz RAM as well for around £180 altogether or less.

For DayZ should I get a better processor as well? Shall I buy a cut-price Ivy Bridge i5 or Haswell? I know it's fairly CPU intensive. Even an AMD 8 core processor. That would be better for next gen right seeing as the consoles will be 8 core too, so more games will be optimized for multi core processors? Or should I get rid of it altogether for an X51? I really don't know.

Sothpaw

Well it looks like the 4gb 770 that I ordered from amazon isn't shipping until mid july. Not wating that long to build my new rig. So I am at a loss for what to do. The only thing that worries me is spending $400 for a card with only 2gb and needing to upgrade soon. I have no problem spending more for a 780 if I can get some mid level of assurance that the 3gb on there will be enough to run most next gen games at 720p 60fps.

Should I:

Get a 2gb 770?

Wait for another brand to release 4gb 770 and hope to get one before sold out?

Get a 3gb 780?

Get one of the high end AMD cards?

This is the last piece of my rig then I will be all set to start building.

kharma45

Hi guys, I have a HP Elite 053uk PC from 2010 maybe I think it's a Sandy Bridge i7 with 8GB and a NVidia GT420, and it's really needs an upgrade (me and my friends from school, who are ditching their 360s and going to PC for DayZ, Woo!). I'm considering either flat out buying an Alienware X51 for a fairly reasonable £600-700. However, I'm considering buying the 650Ti card and maybe some Corsair 1600MHz RAM as well for around £180 altogether or less.

For DayZ should I get a better processor as well? Shall I buy a cut-price Ivy Bridge i5 or Haswell? I know it's fairly CPU intensive. Or should I get rid of it altogether for an X51? I really don't know.

What PSU is in that HP? I wouldn't bother throwing more RAM at it unless you're hitting the limits of the 8GB frequently.

clav

Hi guys, I have a HP Elite 053uk PC from 2010 maybe I think it's a Sandy Bridge i7 with 8GB and a NVidia GT420, and it's really needs an upgrade (me and my friends from school, who are ditching their 360s and going to PC for DayZ, Woo!). I'm considering either flat out buying an Alienware X51 for a fairly reasonable £600-700. However, I'm considering buying the 650Ti card and maybe some Corsair 1600MHz RAM as well for around £180 altogether or less.

For DayZ should I get a better processor as well? Shall I buy a cut-price Ivy Bridge i5 or Haswell? I know it's fairly CPU intensive. Or should I get rid of it altogether for an X51? I really don't know.

Spend all your money on a graphics card first. Check your power supply wattage though.

HoosTrax

Well it looks like the 4gb 770 that I ordered from amazon isn't shipping until mid july. Not wating that long to build my new rig. So I am at a loss for what to do. The only thing that worries me is spending $400 for a card with only 2gb and needing to upgrade soon. I have no problem spending more for a 780 if I can get some mid level of assurance that the 3gb on there will be enough to run most next gen games at 720p 60fps.

Should I:

Get a 2gb 770?

Get a 3gb 780?

Me, I would get a 7970 GHZ for that $400.

kharma45

Should I:

Get a 2gb 770?

Get a 3gb 780?

If you can afford the 780 it's a great card. I would also still recommend the 7970 at $380 too especially with that games bundle.

Willectro

Banned
Just picked up on lunch (as it was available locally):
Sabertooth z87
Corsair Vengeance 2 x 8GB - 1866
Corsair H100i
Win 7 Pro 64

Still need to get:
Video Card - I'm thinking 770/780, gotta research some more.
PSU - Probably Corsair AX760i Digital ATX
Case - Cooler Master HAF XB ATX
Misc - Fans, etc.

Willectro

Banned

Should I:

Get a 2gb 770?

Get a 3gb 780?

I'm in the exact same situation, but I really don't want to go ATI. I knew the 4gb models would be popular.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom