• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 1. Haswell, Crysis 3, and secret fairy sauce. Read da OP

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Fractal Design Define R4 case has a damage hinge on the fan cover that doesnt allow the fan cover to stay fully closed :/

Anyone have major issues with Fractal cases?

My Define Mini is amazing. The R4 I sent back is another story. The tabs that hold the front panel were bent/loose and both of the R4's side panels were just the tiny bit off, like the holes were drilled incorrectly.

mkenyon

Banned
There are a couple people on here that have created the zeitgeist that Hazwell is junk and you should only go Ivy Bridge.
Junk is a strong word. More like a worse value proposition. There's instances where it's warranted, like going for a specific motherboard its features.
That they'll burn your house down if you try to overclock and they have yet to-be-determined bugs to work out.
Was this really necessary? Some people might not get that it's funny :p
it's the latest socket
That doesn't mean anything.
it's measurably faster than IB
3-6%, which can be made up for with a better IB overclock.
and it'll get a refresh with hopefully better clocks.
Pray broadwell isn't BGA, which is counter to everything Intel has said.

I don't know... I love mine, oc'd, fast, and running cool.
Running cool my eye. But yeah, it's not a bad buy at all. Fairly negligible difference really, which is why saving the $50 between processor and motherboard, as well as needing a cooler that costs $40 less makes it a poor proposition when you're trying to pick the absolute best part for the value. That's the only reason why we push Ivy.

For the folks that understand the difference, they wouldn't really be in this thread to begin with to ask about which socket/processor to go with. This thread mostly exists to inform and help people jumble together the disassociated knowledge of PC parts.

To be clear, it's not a bad buy. It's just not as a good of a buy as Ivy is right now.

And, we're really salty because there was an Intel Engineer that did a Reddit AMA who told everyone Haswell was going to be a great overclocker. So there's that.

kharma45

It's something I've considered moving to AM3+ for in that space. For the games that only need 2 cores it's very quick, nearly on par with the 2100/3220. If something does need those extra 2 threads it does bog down.

It's perfect for RTS/Source/MMO/LoL/Easy Console Ports. Above that and it's so-so.

FM2 could also be an option now that the AMD Athlon 750K/760K has made it across the water to the USA. It's basically the CPU part of the 5800K with the GPU disabled, so you're getting around Core i3 performance for $80.

mkenyon

Banned
FM2 could also be an option now that the AMD Athlon 750K/760K has made it across the water to the USA. It's basically the CPU part of the 5800K with the GPU disabled, so you're getting around Core i3 performance for $80.

arkham-99th.gif

arkham-beyond-50.gif

skyrim-99th.gif

skyrim-beyond-16.gif

I might come around on AM3+ procs for super budget builds, but FM2 is straight out.

Lethal

Neo Member
I installed d3doverrider on my girls pc - pretty much only used for Diablo and streaming - and besides the obvious intended benefits, it has somehow made both the gpu and cpu run cooler. Anybody experienced this before?

Her machine is a fx8320/650tiB and it used to run pretty hot after playing for a while - like 50c on the cpu and 70c+ gpu. The past two days its been running about 20c cooler on both. I cant understand it. Granted, it could be a weird AMD thing on the CPU cos I dont know anything about those processors but the 650?

How come my 3570k and WF670 dont see the same drops? I am cry :(

kharma45

Yep.

Isn't it weird that the pentium shits the bed in games where CPU matters the least? Weird as hell.

BF3 SP and C2 SP are more CPU dependent that B:AC is, and even in those ones the FM2 is only marginally worse let's be honest. And even then you did once say that the budget build isn't about gaming purely, it's office stuff too and that's somewhere the FM2 chip should pull ahead.

Hooray, my new build is done!*

L6dDy9Cl.jpg

(*For definitions of done that include the GPU still being backordered, the USB3.0 and monitor drivers not yet installed, and the computer still sitting at work because I didn't have a good way to get it home. Picture provided as proof of life only.)

So, now it's time for more silly questions.

4.2Ghz should be doable at near stock and shouldn't get that warm (Although 80C is ok).

I don't know much about CPU temps. With a 3570K and the Hyper 212 cooler suggested in the OP, The BIOS display on this system (MPower mobo) was showing an idle temp of like 38-40C. Is that super high? Should I be concerned?

Relatedly: what's the deal with fans? I got the Fractal Define R4 (one intake in the back, one output in the front.) I put the whole thing together with a coworker, he was saying that for something like my build I probably wanted 4 total fans -- maybe another intake and output in the two fan ports on the top. How do I buy good fans? Is two the right number?

usea

What do people use these days for monitoring their cpu usage, cpu temp, gpu temp, etc? I want something I can glance at, like a widget or whatever. At work I use some widgets I grabbed from online, but I'm sure there's a better option.

mkenyon

Banned
BF3 SP and C2 SP are more CPU dependent that B:AC is, and even in those ones the FM2 is only marginally worse let's be honest. And even then you did once say that the budget build isn't about gaming purely, it's office stuff too and that's somewhere the FM2 chip should pull ahead.
How can that be true when CPU performance barely affects in game performance? The pentium is clearly an outlier there.

usea

FYI these are the gadgets I've been using for 2 years at work and they're pretty good. http://addgadgets.com/ but last year microsoft basically killed off gadgets and warned everybody not to use them because they could execute "arbitrary code." As if downloading some executable isn't running arbitrary code.

Anyway, just wondering if there's a better option I don't know about.

Addnan

Hooray, my new build is done!*

L6dDy9Cl.jpg

(*For definitions of done that include the GPU still being backordered, the USB3.0 and monitor drivers not yet installed, and the computer still sitting at work because I didn't have a good way to get it home. Picture provided as proof of life only.)

So, now it's time for more silly questions.

I don't know much about CPU temps. With a 3570K and the Hyper 212 cooler suggested in the OP, The BIOS display on this system (MPower mobo) was showing an idle temp of like 38-40C. Is that super high? Should I be concerned?

Relatedly: what's the deal with fans? I got the Fractal Define R4 (one intake in the back, one output in the front.) I put the whole thing together with a coworker, he was saying that for something like my build I probably wanted 4 total fans -- maybe another intake and output in the two fan ports on the top. How do I buy good fans? Is two the right number?

Idle temps don't mean much. Check what you get when putting it under load.Use Core Temp. My CPU idles around that too.

Durante

So, 8-core desktop chips and DDR4 from Intel for the desktop with Haswell-E in 2014. Maybe that will finally be the time to upgrade.

biocat

So I'm thinking of going Haswell just so when I eventually want to upgrade my cpu I can probably do without upgrading my motherboard as well. Am I wrong for thinking that way?

New member here, been actually reading this guide heavily for the past few months until I finally mustered up a decent starter build.

But I choose the i3 3220 over an i5 3350p, but now I see stuff saying that anything i5 and higher is best for gaming

How fucked am I? I'm sorta regretting not putting down the extra money.
Games run fine now but is it REALLY that big of a difference?

kennah

New member here, been actually reading this guide heavily for the past few months until I finally mustered up a decent starter build.

But I choose the i3 3220 over an i5 3350p, but now I see stuff saying that anything i5 and higher is best for gaming

How fucked am I? I'm sorta regretting not putting down the extra money.
Games run fine now but is it REALLY that big of a difference?
It is a noticeable difference but you are far from fucked. The only one who can decide if your computer is performing how you want - is you. If you're getting fine performance then congratulations you won! You don't have the sick obsession that we all have :)

Citizen K

Does anyone know of a router which has a screen on it that displays current download speeds? Might need to replace my router soon and thought it would be cool to have one with a screen on it that shows the speeds its currently getting (eg if a device that isnt my pc is downloading something and i wanna see the speed).

I'm having a problem with my recently built computer. Specifically, I'm unsure of whether the graphics card or power supply is damaged. In order to increase performance, I tried raising the powertune setting on my AMD 7950 Boost to 20%. Shortly after making that adjustment, I noticed that the framerate in Crysis 2 tanked (it fell well below normal for this card). Restoring the default powertune setting doesn't help. This PC has a 600w power supply with 80w Plus standard certification, which I assumed was more than adequate for the GPU and CPU (a 95w TDP Athlon) I'm using. Which part do you think is causing this problem? Do I need to try another power supply to determine which component is at fault? The only other PSU I have is a 520w Antec Neo Eco.

longdi

Banned
What do people use these days for monitoring their cpu usage, cpu temp, gpu temp, etc? I want something I can glance at, like a widget or whatever. At work I use some widgets I grabbed from online, but I'm sure there's a better option.

i dont use widget but hwinfo64, imo its the most comprehensive and regularly updated monitoring program that is free and quite bite sized.

Lethal

Neo Member
i dont use widget but hwinfo64, imo its the most comprehensive and regularly updated monitoring program that is free and quite bite sized.

Ditto.

I integrate the CPU temp to my taskbar while the program runs in the background. I also use it with riva to show the info I need while gaming in a toggle HUD. Its great.

Just waiting for a decent rainmeter skin for it.

Ordering a PC from DinoPC. For about £1100, how are these specs?

Windows 7 64 bit
Intel I7 3770k, with a 4.3Ghz overclock
Corsair H80i water cooler
Gigabyte Z77X-D3H motherboard
8GB Corsair 1600mhz vengeance (2x4GB) RAM
1TB S-ATAIII 6.0Gb/s and Plextor 128GB M5S SSD S-ATAIII 6.0Gb/s
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670 2GB
Asus Xonar DG PCI 5.1
Corsair Carbide 300R casing
650W Corsair VS PSU

Also, is bullguard security worth getting, along with a surge protector?

Zushin

This is a question for anyone who had experience with the Silverstone TJ08-e. Is using a non-reference GPU (read: non-blower fan) going to be an issue with this case? Silverstone recommends using a blower style GPU, but I'm not sure if it's going to be too much of an issue if I don't.

Addnan

Windows 7 64 bit
Asus Xonar DG PCI 5.1
650W Corsair VS PSU

Change the power supply to the Corsair TX. No idea what bullguard security is so I am going to with no, just use MSE!

Is the 770 not priced the same as 670?

Change the power supply to the Corsair TX. No idea what bullguard security is so I am going to with no, just use MSE!

Is the 770 not priced the same as 670?

No, it costs about £60 more than the 670. Also, what's the main benefits of using a Corsair TX over the other one?

Zaph

Thanks for the replies guys, appreciate it. But I'm now more confused than ever.

Go LGA 2011 platform with a 3820 instead. I'd suggest parts, but am working on that update. IIRC not all X79 boards can OC a 3820 since it's more traditional (Not just turbo multi).
You are going to overclock right?
I usually go with a moderate air overclock. No getting things wet or delidding insanity.

You're massively overspending on that RAM, just get the cheapest 16GB RAM Amazon have, don't worry about things like extravagant heatspreaders which do nothing.
Gotcha, thanks.
Either go i7 3820 or a 3770K, Haswell isn't worth it.

Also change the RAM to this stuff, lower profile, cheaper and you'll not notice the difference between 1600 and 1866 http://www.dabs.com/products/kingst...4_1371244019_fb9c163da5e5535c845f6adcdb076403

Right, so I don't want the latest Core generation? The main reasons seem to be: heat, price and first generation motherboard chipsets. Missing anything?

How much do these things matter if you're not going crazy with the overclock? Don't the inherent performance improvements to Haswell outweigh it?

Well there is this:

ASUS_ROG_Maximus_VI_Impact_Mini-ITX_Motherboard.jpg
Wow, I had no idea ITX boards had evolved so much, this changes everything. Aside from no SLI (never used it anyway), are there any other drawbacks with this form factor?

Okay, so yesterday I overclocked my 7950s core clock to 1150MHz. Games run fine and using Heaven Benchmark runs fine. All my temps are fine.

However, every time I try to play any video, I get this:

and then once that goes away, this keeps happening until I restart(its hard to tell, but there is a line on the top of the monitor(its noticeable if you look above the Recycle Bin to the left).

This only happens to the one monitor(connected thru HDMI) my other monitor(connected thru DVI) is fine.

Is my card dead? Are there any steps I can take to try to remedy the situation?

So; I start up my machine everything works fine until I try to play a video, then the above happens. If I restart everything if fine again(games, etc) until I play a video, whether its a downloaded video or Youtube.

Ok, as noted in previous posts in this thread, I'm a complete novice when it comes to computers, how to build them and what the specs mean. So I come to you again for advice. I want to play games from Steam (not too bothered about graphics so long as the performance is good), browse the web, use MS office and watch streams etc. I've narrowed my selection down to these:

http://www.chillblast.com/Chillblast-Fusion-Firefly.html

http://www.chillblast.com/Chillblast-Fusion-Wolverine.html

http://www.chillblast.com/Chillblast-Fusion-Shadow.html

Broadly, which is best here for what I've described? They seem to match the Hazaro PC build chart in the OP except the graphics cards on these three are all 1GB and that chart recommends 2GB; will it make that much difference? Also, does anybody have any experience with Chillblast? I imagine it's better than buying something like this:

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/deskt...vilion-p6-2388ea-desktop-pc-17392848-pdt.html

Saw the word 'bloat' used a lot when i looked into that^

As always any help is greatly appreciated.

mhayze

I have an i5 2500k. So I do I have to upgrade my CPU to play "next-gen" games as seen at this years E3?

Your CPU is still more powerful than the PS4 and XBO CPU, so that shouldn't be the limiting factor in ports.

Ok, as noted in previous posts in this thread, I'm a complete novice when it comes to computers, how to build them and what the specs mean. So I come to you again for advice. I want to play games from Steam (not too bothered about graphics so long as the performance is good), browse the web, use MS office and watch streams etc. I've narrowed my selection down to these:
http://www.chillblast.com/Chillblast-Fusion-Firefly.html http://www.chillblast.com/Chillblast-Fusion-Wolverine.html http://www.chillblast.com/Chillblast-Fusion-Shadow.html
Broadly, which is best here for what I've described? They seem to match the Hazaro PC build chart in the OP except the graphics cards on these three are all 1GB and that chart recommends 2GB; will it make that much difference? Also, does anybody have any experience with Chillblast? I imagine it's better than buying something like this:
http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/deskt...vilion-p6-2388ea-desktop-pc-17392848-pdt.htmlSaw the word 'bloat' used a lot when i looked into that^

I would say the fusion-shadow, with a GPU upgrade. The other two have dual core CPUs, which is fine for now, but you sound as if you may keep this PC for a while, and for the modest price increase, it's probably worth it. GPU - same there, I would bump up the GPU one notch. You say steam games, I assume you will play some modern games, and I assume your monitor is 1080p. In that case, even if graphics aren't your first priority, for a smoother gameplay experience I would pick a slightly beefier GPU. No experience with these UK vendors, so can't help there.

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her

Windows 7 64 bit
Asus Xonar DG PCI 5.1
650W Corsair VS PSU

Pretty close to the build I was speccing up for myself on DinoPC earlier, I agree with the comments about the PSU, go for the TX, it's never worth the pain of going cheap with it, Mines a little different as I've had to settle for a slightly lesser GFX card in order to shoehorn 16GB ram in (I need this for running multiple VM's as even my current 8GB set-up struggles for RAM doing this)

Here's the build I was looking at if anyone wants to comment on it:

DinoPC said:
CPU: Intel Core i7 3770K (Moderate Overclock to 4.3Ghz)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H80i Water Cooler
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z77X-D3H
RAM: 16GB Corsair 1600mhz Vengeance (2x8GB)
Hard Drive: 2TB S-ATAIII 6.0Gb/s
Optical Drive: 22x DVD±RW DL S-ATA
Graphics card: AMD Radeon HD 7870 2GB
Sound card: Onboard 7.1 Audio
Case: Corsair Carbide 300R
PSU: 650W Corsair TX V2

So, 8-core desktop chips and DDR4 from Intel for the desktop with Haswell-E in 2014. Maybe that will finally be the time to upgrade.

Any source for that or just speculation?
Maybe so i can put aside some money in 2014.

Anyone have a link how watercooling stuff works?

Reposting for new page

http://www.chillblast.com/Chillblast-Fusion-Firefly.html

http://www.chillblast.com/Chillblast-Fusion-Wolverine.html

http://www.chillblast.com/Chillblast-Fusion-Shadow.html

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/deskt...vilion-p6-2388ea-desktop-pc-17392848-pdt.html

I would say the fusion-shadow, with a GPU upgrade. The other two have dual core CPUs, which is fine for now, but you sound as if you may keep this PC for a while, and for the modest price increase, it's probably worth it. GPU - same there, I would bump up the GPU one notch. You say steam games, I assume you will play some modern games, and I assume your monitor is 1080p. In that case, even if graphics aren't your first priority, for a smoother gameplay experience I would pick a slightly beefier GPU. No experience with these UK vendors, so can't help there.

Thanks for the advice man. So a CPU means the processor? For an extra £20 I can have the Intel Core i5 4670K Haswell Processor Overclocked to up to 4.3GHz (as opposed to the Intel Core i5 3570K Processor Overclocked to up to 4.5GHz). Is that enough?

And GPU means the graphics card? For an extra £50 I can have the NVIDIA GeForce GT 630 1024MB Graphics card. Would that be enough? They also offer the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 2048MB for an extra £140 but that would be approaching too pricy for me on top of the initial £510. I've still got to buy a monitor.

nbthedude

Reposting for new page

Thanks for the advice man. So a CPU means the processor? For an extra £20 I can have the Intel Core i5 4670K Haswell Processor Overclocked to up to 4.3GHz (as opposed to the Intel Core i5 3570K Processor Overclocked to up to 4.5GHz). Is that enough?

And GPU means the graphics card? For an extra £50 I can have the NVIDIA GeForce GT 630 1024MB Graphics card. Would that be enough? They also offer the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 2048MB for an extra £140 but that would be approaching too pricy for me on top of the initial £510. I've still got to buy a monitor.

The last one on that list has an i5. If you are going to buy one of those, buy that one. An i3 is not going to hold up once the new systems come out this Fall.

The graphics card in all of them is the weakest link. My advice would be to save up to swap out the graphics card as soon as you can.

As long as you realize you are going to be spending about $200 more by going with those pre-built models rather than looking for individual parts deals and building it yourself. If spending an extra $150-$200 for a couple hours work is worth it to you, then go for it I guess.

A buddy of mine who knew nothing about PCs followed the video guide in his PC and put the whole thing together in less than an hour. You are paying a huge premium not building yourself.

nbthedude

Ok, if you really really want to buy from this company, here is what I would do:

Go to that custom build here:

http://www.chillblast.com/pconf.php?productid=18376

Leave everything at default except if you want to spend 20 pounds for a bigger harddrive and maybe change the case to your preference.

That puts you at 383

Then go and buy your videocard separately and snap it in. You can get a kick ass videocard for that difference.

The best bang for the buck videocards right now in that range are the Radeon 7870 and the Radeon 7950. Look at prices on Amazon for them. Buy a 7950 if you can afford the cheaper ones. If not, a 7870 is still really good. Both are good cards. They also both come with 3 free games (Bioshock Infinite, Tomb Raider and Blood Dragon for 7870 and Bioshock Infinite, Crysis 3, and Blood Dragon for the 7950).

Still, you would be able to build a better system for significantly cheaper if you picked out individual parts. There a lot of people here and a lot resources that can take you through step by step and it takes an hour or two to put together. Mostly like snapping lego blocks in place.

I imagine it's better than buying something like this:

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/deskto...92848-pdt.html

Those 3 Chillblast you linked to above are DEFINITLELY far better than that HP computer. Do not buy that whatever you do.

Basically for your budget, I would say make sure you have a processor that is an intell i5 (the i3s are only dual cores) and look for a Radeon 7870 or 7950 graphics card to put in it. Graphics cards are easy to install and those places are charging you a premium for old cards. Better to just avoid adding a videocard to their builds and just buy one separately to put in yourself. Again, that's if you are really set on not building from scratch.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Looking for some feedback on my thought processes here.

I'm looking to upgrade my current PC (Phenom II with a 4870) and was waiting for Haswell, but seeing as how Haswell is kind of bleh for desktop users, I'm eyeing an Ivy Bridge machine instead. The idea is to get a 3570k overclocked enough to meet or beat its Haswell equivalent.

I would like to keep the computer pretty quiet, so I don't expect my overclocking to be very ambitious.

Use: Gaming, and sometimes video encoding (IMO not enough to justify moving up to an i7). I run a 1920x1200 main monitor and a 1920x1080 side monitor. I don't intend to game on multiple monitors - I expect to game on the main monitor (possibly in borderless windowed mode) while likely running web surfing stuff on the second monitor (e.g. IM, IRC, web browser, possibly streaming stuff like youtube/twitch). Aiming for at least a smooth 60 fps in terms of frame latency in most games.

Budget: $900 before tax. More concerned about value than exact prices. I'm currently a fair way below the budget limit, but I'm not looking to get as close to the limit as possible.

I can reuse all parts from my previous computer except for the CPU, GPU, motherboard, ram, and cooler, so here's what I have in mind so far:

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($219.99 @ Newegg Canada)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U12P SE2 54.4 CFM CPU Cooler ($69.99 @ Amazon Canada)
Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V LK ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($124.50 @ Vuugo)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($63.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Video Card: MSI Radeon HD 7950 3GB Video Card ($319.99 @ NCIX)
Total: $798.46
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-06-15 11:22 EDT-0400)

Addnan

Pretty close to the build I was speccing up for myself on DinoPC earlier, I agree with the comments about the PSU, go for the TX, it's never worth the pain of going cheap with it, Mines a little different as I've had to settle for a slightly lesser GFX card in order to shoehorn 16GB ram in (I need this for running multiple VM's as even my current 8GB set-up struggles for RAM doing this)

Here's the build I was looking at if anyone wants to comment on it:
Looks good, buy it!

Looking for some feedback on my thought processes here.

I'm looking to upgrade my current PC (Phenom II with a 4870) and was waiting for Haswell, but seeing as how Haswell is kind of bleh for desktop users, I'm eyeing an Ivy Bridge machine instead. The idea is to get a 3570k overclocked enough to meet or beat its Haswell equivalent.

I would like to keep the computer pretty quiet, so I don't expect my overclocking to be very ambitious.

Use: Gaming, and sometimes video encoding (IMO not enough to justify moving up to an i7). I run a 1920x1200 main monitor and a 1920x1080 side monitor. I don't intend to game on multiple monitors - I expect to game on the main monitor (possibly in borderless windowed mode) while likely running web surfing stuff on the second monitor (e.g. IM, IRC, web browser, possibly streaming stuff like youtube/twitch). Aiming for at least a smooth 60 fps in terms of frame latency in most games.

Budget: $900 before tax. More concerned about value than exact prices. I'm currently a fair way below the budget limit, but I'm not looking to get as close to the limit as possible.

I can reuse all parts from my previous computer except for the CPU, GPU, motherboard, ram, and cooler, so here's what I have in mind so far:

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($219.99 @ Newegg Canada)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U12P SE2 54.4 CFM CPU Cooler ($69.99 @ Amazon Canada)
Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V LK ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($124.50 @ Vuugo)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($63.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Video Card: MSI Radeon HD 7950 3GB Video Card ($319.99 @ NCIX)
Total: $798.46
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-06-15 11:22 EDT-0400)
Looks good, I would throw an SSD in there. Once you use one, it really is something you can't go back from. ALso just make sure the PSU you are using again is up to the task.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom