• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 1. Haswell, Crysis 3, and secret fairy sauce. Read da OP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cyrillus

So I recently purchased a 1440p IPS monitor, and am wondering what I need to be looking at graphics-wise to be able to run it. It's currently in a setup with two 1680x1050 monitors on the side, but I'm just looking to run games on the center monitor, perhaps in windowed mode (if the particular game supports it), with browsers/performance monitoring utilities on the other two monitors. The 6870 in my current rig is, well, "struggling" would be a nice way of saying it.

I'd prefer a single card solution if there is one, but I will be getting a crossfire/SLI board with possible plans to add a 2nd card around Christmas.
Bumping for new page. Any thoughts? Would a 7950 be enough?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I bought some thermal paste and will be attempting CPU surgery tonight.
Vice I hope.

Make sure the 'power transfer' object is held tightly and set well against the PCB.
Friend wants a computer for $500-600 not including peripherals, monitor etc., that can run games like counter strike global offensive, dota 2. If I follow the "Budget - Solid Starter" build from OP, would it be more than enough for my friend's needs?
It would for those games. I'd highly suggest going for the Standard Build with a Z77 motherboard however so you can drop in an unlocked 'K' i5 or i7 down the line.
Bumping for new page. Any thoughts? Would a 7950 be enough?
Depends what you consider 'enough'. It's a very good GPU for the price and the 3GB Ghz version will help with the 1440p in extreme cases. A large upgrade over your 6870 for sure and suitable for many.

kharma45

How much better is the Intel i5 3570k vs. AMD A8 660k black edition? I received the AMD A8 for FREE, was wondering if i should keep it and grab an i5 instead? my computer is old, AMD Athalon II x4 620

If you're wanting to do serious gaming it won't compete with the i5. The APU is fine for a cheap HTPC or an office build but if you're wanting performance it won't cut it.

Here is a list of the parts that will be assembled in the new system:

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA Z87 D3HP (With free Be Quiet cooler)
Graphics Card: Gigabyte 7950 3GB
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Tactical Memory (2 x 8GBs)
Hard Drives: 2TB Seagate Barracuda + Samsung F3 1TB
SSD: Samsung 840 250GB
Optical Drive: LiteOn IHAS124-19 24x DVDRW

I will have this along with 4 case fans, monitor + TV, and of course the keyboard and mouse draining power too. I currently have a OCZ StealthXstream II 600W PSU, but I'm not sure if it will be enough. Any thoughts?

The OCZ will be enough wattage wise. They're not the best PSUs but it'll do.

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/166Bl
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/166Bl/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/166Bl/benchmarks/

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($189.99 @ Microcenter)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 76.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($19.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($139.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: GeIL EVO Veloce Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($52.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 840 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($94.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($70 @ Outlet PC)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7950 3GB Video Card ($279.99 @ Newegg)
Case: NZXT Tempest 210 ATX Mid Tower Case ($47.06 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 600W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($37.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.00 @ Amazon)
Monitor: Acer G215HVBbd 60Hz 21.5" Monitor ($89.99 @ Microcenter)
Keyboard: Lite-On SK-1788/BS Wired Standard Keyboard ($12.98 @ Newegg)
Mouse: Microsoft 5CJ-00003 Wired Optical Mouse ($19.07 @ Amazon)
Total: $1129.01
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-06-13 21:08 EDT-0400)

What do you think, GAF? Should I be good for next-gen console ports for at least the first 2 years?

Change that SSD to the Kingston V300. It's $85 at Micro Center or $95 with Amazon.

I'd swap that PSU too, the Builder models aren't all that good. Something like this is a better buy http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004IZN3K2/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Friend wants a computer for $500-600 not including peripherals, monitor etc., that can run games like counter strike global offensive, dota 2. If I follow the "Budget - Solid Starter" build from OP, would it be more than enough for my friend's needs?

I'll throw an example build together now.

kharma45

Scrounge together an extra $3 over budget and he could get this

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($189.99 @ Microcenter)
Motherboard: MSI Z77A-GD55 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($125.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: Asus Radeon HD 7850 2GB Video Card ($154.00 @ Newegg)
Case: NZXT Source 210 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($34.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Antec 450W ATX12V Power Supply ($38.84 @ Amazon)
Other: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Low Profile Desktop Memory Model BLS8G3D1609ES2LX0 ($0.00 - free with motherboard)
Total: $603.79
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-06-14 07:32 EDT-0400)

The 7850 also comes with free copies of Far Cry 3 Blood Dragon, BioShock Infinite and Tomb Raider. At worst you could sell those to bring it within budget. RAM is only single channel but it's free so can't complain too much. Price is dependent on rebates and living close to a Micro Center for the CPU. If not you're talking $210 for the CPU instead. There is also a $10 rebate on that case too but PCPartPicker isn't picking it up yet.

Vice I hope.

Make sure the 'power transfer' object is held tightly and set well against the PCB.

Vice?

PCB?

I cleaned off the old shit, which seems to have baked itself on. Then I applied the new stuff in a vertical line. Everything seems to be stable so far. Speedfan is reporting -60, which is some sort of bug, but it means I don't actually know the temperature.

Bonus horror picture from inside the case. Dat warping.

Durante

Vice?

PCB?

I cleaned off the old shit, which seems to have baked itself on. Then I applied the new stuff in a vertical line. Everything seems to be stable so far. Speedfan is reporting -60, which is some sort of bug, but it means I don't actually know the temperature.
That's not what people call surgery around these parts, that's just applying some make-up.
(Hazaro thought you were delidding the chip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwv_EsY07Wg )

flotsam

Neo Member
Did anyone's R4 ship with the front panel disconnected? Mine arrived from NewEgg this way and when I attach it, the plastic tabs feel very loose. Normal? Time to RMA?

My first one was shipped with the front panel connected but arrived with it disconnected...

Sh03YxD.jpg

The second one arrived with it connected, but I disconnected it myself to get better access to the front case fan that I moved up one slot. It went back on pretty tightly so if there is a bit of a wobble to yours, I would probably RMA it (although if it doesn't bother you, there's probably no harm in keeping it like that).

This Corsair 900D is amazing, not only is it bloody huge, but the build quality is first rate, very very happy with my purchase.

I really like Corsair stuff. I build my wifes computer in their 300D - and it was a pretty solid case. I almost went with the 550D for my new case, but opted to give this Fractal company a try instead.

Damn it! Been up all night trying to sort out this whole Windows 8 Upgrade on a brand new build nightmare.

Is it possible to use my Windows 8 upgrade ISO for a brand new system build that doesn't have an older version of windows installed?

Worse case scenario I buy an OEM copy. Any sites sell this as a digital/download option?

Echoplx

Damn it! Been up all night trying to sort out this whole Windows 8 Upgrade on a brand new build nightmare.

Is it possible to use my Windows 8 upgrade ISO for a brand new system build that doesn't have an older version of windows installed?

Worse case scenario I buy an OEM copy. Any sites sell this as a digital/download option?

You can get around it by installing a copy of windows 7 and leaving it in trial mode, then running the windows 8 iso and formatting the drive you want to install it on.

What ware you trying to upgrade? The upgrade disk is if you have Windows installed already.

Edit: never knew you could do that ^

kharma45

Finally stopped waffling and pulled on the trigger on my first real upgrade in two years. AMD better not make me regret giving them a second chance.

Going to be a stop gap card anyway -- I fully expect to do another upgrade in a couple years -- so no sense going too expensive.

7970 is a great card, Vapor-X is a great cooler and you got some very good games thrown in too. I'd be surprised if you didn't like it.

So I want to dabble in overclocking this weekend.

Does it matter if I do my graphics card or processor first?

I have a 7950 and a 4670K

You could do both in a day if you have enough time. Doesn't matter what you do first.

Mine came with the door attached, sounds like it got banged up in shipping.

Mine came attached. Not loose at all.

My first one was shipped with the front panel connected but arrived with it disconnected...

The second one arrived with it connected, but I disconnected it myself to get better access to the front case fan that I moved up one slot. It went back on pretty tightly so if there is a bit of a wobble to yours, I would probably RMA it (although if it doesn't bother you, there's probably no harm in keeping it like that).

Thanks, guys.

Dr.Acula

Banned
So I saw this post about The Witcher 3...

http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=63552421

After watching the attached video... I'm gonna need an upgrade.

I have an i5 750 with a stock cooler. Should I get a +212 or whatever that dealie aftermarket heatsink is called? Or is there a better one? Unfortunately, I can't really upgrade the proc, as I have some old board. GA-P55-UD3 I think? P55A maybe?

Also, does OCing trip the Win7 security? Is it safe to OC and drop a new card in, or will that make headaches?

Are the Witcher games CPU bound? How much will an OC help on Witcher 2?

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
I'm kinda new to PC gaming and I must say, it's all a bit overwhelming. :p
I ordered my PC the 25th of May and i'm still waiting. (It's being built at a local computer store. Chose all the pieces myself, they're putting them together.)
Aparently, the MSI 660Ti's (and a lot of other NVidia cards) are out of stock in The Netherlands, and it's going to take atleast another week, maybe longer.

But i've been looking a bit further, and the differences between the 660Ti and MSI 770 Lightning are pretty enormous. The price is a lot higher aswell, but that's another story.

Anyhow, i'm wondering if my motherboard can put up with it, seeing as the card isn't in the compatibility list on MSI's website.
Then again, it's not even out yet, so that may have something to do with it. I'm pretty sure it will, since it's quite a meaty motherboard, but i'm just double checking. It's the MSI Z77 MPower.
Other specs:
1lq.jpg

Like I said before, all those parts and learning about them is pretty daunting. But i've got to say it's a hell of a lot of fun. :)

scogoth

Thanks very much for the feedback Mkenyon, I really appreciate it.

I have put comments inline with yours to make it easier to read :). Lots of things not set in stone as of yet, and I have plenty of time to check it all out, thanks again.

Just to play devils advocate on the haswell vs SB-E, I would stick with the delidded haswell. I did the same thing with a 3770k over sb-e and have no regrets, especially since the ROG features on the Z87 line are pretty damn incredible. mkenyon will say that the PLX adds x picoseconds of lag but I really can't notice that on top of what SLI already adds.

Kick ass build none the less, can't wait to see it finished.

kharma45

So I saw this post about The Witcher 3...

http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=63552421

After watching the attached video... I'm gonna need an upgrade.

I have an i5 750 with a stock cooler. Should I get a +212 or whatever that dealie aftermarket heatsink is called? Or is there a better one? Unfortunately, I can't really upgrade the proc, as I have some old board. GA-P55-UD3 I think? P55A maybe?

Also, does OCing trip the Win7 security? Is it safe to OC and drop a new card in, or will that make headaches?

Are the Witcher games CPU bound? How much will an OC help on Witcher 2?

OC it for defs, I've got a 750 in the house at 3.8GHz and it flies along nicely. A hyper 212 would get you a good return should you decide to OC. It'll not affect security, it's safe to add a new card and there are few headaches as long as you don't try to rush it.

Witcher 2 has fairly good returns for overclocking, have a look at the i7 920

CPU1.png

CPU2.png

CPU does seem to matter in it. Second graph though the CPUs could be bottlenecking the 590 slightly as well. Still, overall it is well worth OCing that CPU of yours.

Istaerion

I don't know if this is frowned upon or not, but would anyone be willing to give a price estimate as to how much I would be capable of selling the following setup for?

Motherboard: ASUS P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
CPU: Intel i5 2500K Quad-Core Processor 3.3 GHz
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
RAM: G.Skill 8GB (2x 4GB) DDR3 1600MHz Sniper Series
Power Supply: Corsair AX 750 Watt ATX/EPS Modular 80 PLUS Gold
SSD: Samsung 830 128GB
Graphics Card: EVGA GTX 480 1536MB
Audio Card: ASUS Xonar DGX
Case: Cooler Master Storm Trooper
Optical Drive: ASUS 24xDVD-RW
Operating System: Windows 8 Professional x64

The outer shell of the case is a tad roughed up, but nothing to the point where it hinders functionality nor looks like an eyesore.

The overall machine is also roughly a year and one to two months old.

HoosTrax

I don't know if this is frowned upon or not, but would anyone be willing to give a price estimate as to how much I would be capable of selling the following setup for?

Motherboard: ASUS P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
CPU: Intel i5 2500K
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
RAM: G.Skill 8GB DDR3 1866MHz Sniper Series
Power Supply: Corsair AX 750 Watt ATX/EPS Modular 80 PLUS Gold
SSD: Samsung 830 128GB
Graphics Card: EVGA GTX 480 1536MB
Audio Card: ASUS Xonar DGX
Case: Cooler Master Storm Trooper
Optical Drive: ASUS 24xDVD-RW
Operating System: Windows 8 Professional x64

The outer shell of the case is a tad roughed up, but nothing to the point where it hinders functionality nor looks like an eyesore.

The overall machine is also roughly a year and one to two months old.
Very few people are going to be interested in buying an entire gaming rig unless it was incredibly cheap. You'd probably need to part it out. Why sell it at all? Other than needing a new GPU, it's still pretty good.

mkenyon

Banned
Finally stopped waffling and pulled on the trigger on my first real upgrade in two years. AMD better not make me regret giving them a second chance.

Going to be a stop gap card anyway -- I fully expect to do another upgrade in a couple years -- so no sense going too expensive.
Awwwww, I was just about to put a 7970 Lightning on the market, would've made you a deal.

Nice pickup regardless. I love the 7970.
$600-800 probably. As HoosTrax pointed out, you'll get more for parting it.

HoosTrax

Awwwww, I was just about to put a 7970 Lightning on the market, would've made you a deal.

Ahhh nooo. I was looking at the Lightning too -- the color scheme is drool-worthy. Maybe I can cancel...

Edit: nope, it's in packaging already...the one time NewEgg decides not to take forever to ship...

ss_lemonade

Praise the pc gods, my 780 will be arriving today. Now I've been seeing a lot of talk about these *killer* nvidia drivers (320.18?). Is it safe to use them with my new gpu, or should I be looking for a different driver?

Addnan

Praise the pc gods, my 780 will be arriving today. Now I've been seeing a lot of talk about these *killer* nvidia drivers (320.18?). Is it safe to use them with my new gpu, or should I be looking for a different driver?
There's no real evidence of the drivers doing anything and with the 700 cards I don't think there have been any reports. Working for me too with a 700 card.

kharma45

I could afford a couple hundred more, but I'd rather not. I'd be happy to put in an extra £50 or so if the difference is substantial.

Right well the changes I'll be making won't be substantial don't worry, it's just gonna be boosting a few things up. Give me a few mins and I'll get back to you with something.

kharma45

This is why I love this forum, instant help within minutes.

Thanks.

I've had to increase the price by £80 on you but you'll see why

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor (£155.99 @ Aria PC)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (£24.10 @ Amazon UK)
Motherboard: MSI Z77A-GD55 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard (£93.60 @ Amazon UK)
Memory: Patriot Viper 3 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory (£44.29 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£49.99 @ Amazon UK)
Video Card: Club 3D Radeon HD 7870 XT 2GB Video Card (£209.65 @ Amazon UK)
Case: BitFenix Shinobi ATX Mid Tower Case (£49.90 @ Amazon UK)
Power Supply: XFX 550W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply (£52.59 @ Dabs)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) (£68.35 @ CCL Computers)
Total: £748.46
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-06-14 19:12 BST+0100)

That RAM you had chosen takes between 1-2 months to ship so is as good as OOS, so I had to change that. That PowerColor 7870 XT is also OOS so I had to change it to the Club3D version. Unfortunately through Amazon you don't get any free games. £250 however would get you a 7950 from Gigabyte with Crysis 3 and BioShock Infinite for free if that interests you, plus I think you get Far Cry 3 Blood Dragon too. That is further increasing the cost though so might well be out of the question.

I also changed that motherboard as the GD55 is a much better option and gives you the ability to aim for a good overclock, hence why the Hyper 212 is in there too. If you're concerned about overclocking don't be. It is extremely easy to do and there is only minimal downsides (a bit higher power use and a bit more heat but that is why the Hyper 212 is there). The benefits from it really, really outweigh any negatives. If you're dead set against it you can always change the motherboard and drop the Hyper 212.

Edit - Found that PowerColor model in stock here https://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Com...D5-2DHPPV3E]+++4+FREE+GAMES!+?productId=54322 £186 plus four free games. Swapping it instead of the Club3D one would leave your build like this

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor (£155.99 @ Aria PC)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (£24.10 @ Amazon UK)
Motherboard: MSI Z77A-GD55 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard (£93.60 @ Amazon UK)
Memory: Patriot Viper 3 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory (£44.29 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£49.99 @ Amazon UK)
Case: BitFenix Shinobi ATX Mid Tower Case (£49.90 @ Amazon UK)
Power Supply: XFX 550W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply (£52.59 @ Dabs)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) (£68.35 @ CCL Computers)
Other: PowerColor PCS+ Myst. Edition Radeon HD 7870 (Tahiti LE) OC 2GB GDDR5 Graphics Card [AX7870 2GBD5-2DHPPV3E] + 4 FREE GAMES! (£185.99)
Total: £724.80
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-06-14 19:14 BST+0100)

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
At that price you could get a 7970GHz or a 770 which would both outperform your 670. 4GB is useless with a 256-bit bus.

Hi, thanks for the reply. I'm new at this. I've read that in some games the 670 outperforms the 7970 and in others the 670 is better than the 7970.

So 4gb is useless? I've read a bit that some games are starting to demand close to 2gb. Just thinking about down the road... maybe I'm totally out to lunch. Should I get a 2gb 770 instead of a 4gb 660?

Thanks!

Istaerion

Very few people are going to be interested in buying an entire gaming rig unless it was incredibly cheap. You'd probably need to part it out. Why sell it at all? Other than needing a new GPU, it's still pretty good.

I see, thanks for the advice!

As for why I'm selling it? A large part is reaccessed priority and a pretty handy financial backup.

I don't mean to overstep, but how much more would you say the difference would be if I were to part it? This, of course, acting under the assumption that I'm not forced to do so due to the lack of interest in a fully built rig.

mkenyon

Banned
I see, thanks for the advice!

As for why I'm selling it? A large part is reaccessed priority and a pretty handy financial backup.

I don't mean to overstep, but how much more would you say the difference would be if I were to part it? This, of course, acting under the assumption that I'm not forced to do so due to the lack of interest in a fully built rig.
I gave a rough estimate, but generally, you're going to have to offer a full system at a discount in order to get someone to bite. Those who are looking for used systems will have portions of the PC already, so they might only be looking for Mobo/CPU/RAM/GPU, which means the rest of the stuff isn't worth it.

What you'll want to do is head to OCN and Hardforum Marketplace and get an idea of how much each component is worth. Then you'll get a good idea of the value if you part it out.

I'm using a Titan with these drivers and its totally fine, no heat issues or anything.

SpyGuy239

First time SLI-er and Dual Monitor Owner.

Quick question cause I can't find concrete information on it from the nvidia website: Should both monitors (DVI) be connected to the first card?

Or one monitor connected to each card?

Thanks!

Hey guys, is it frowned upon to go to a store or online and buy something they have as a pre-built, out of the box gaming desktop? I am not technically savvy enough to build a PC, plus I probably don't have the time for it either.

I'm new at this, been a console gamer my whole life, I'm 30 now. I was always under the impression that a gaming PC would be $2000+ but that doesn't seem to be the case so now I'm interested. It wouldn't be for a few months but I think I can go up to $1500 with or without monitor. The lowest end option on alienware.com was like $680 or something. The thing is, since I'm not hardware savvy, I'd want this thing pretty future proof so I don't have to dabble with upgrades ever.

I'd want it to be able to play pretty much anything on highest or very high settings. I'm not really into FPS so Crysis isn't something I need to play, but I want the option. Is that possible with $1500 or am I just proving how little I know? Again, this wouldn't be for a few months so I don't need any specific PC's pointed out, just gathering intel.

So I want to buy a new video card but I'm scared that it will get outdated sooner than usual due to graphical standards curving higher than usual due to next gen consoles releasing.

How long should I wait? I want to spend no more than $300, $330 TOPS.

coldfoot

Banned
Still don't see the Monoprice monitor added. It's the same quality panel as those ebay vendors, but come from a trustworthy vendor, same quality, cheaper, and with warranty.

Tomas

Banned
So I want to buy a new video card but I'm scared that it will get outdated sooner than usual due to graphical standards curving higher than usual due to next gen consoles releasing.

The upcoming 760 Ti is looking to hit a very sweet price/performance point. You should look either into that or 7950 Boost Edition from AMD.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Hey guys, is it frowned upon to go to a store or online and buy something they have as a pre-built, out of the box gaming desktop? I am not technically savvy enough to build a PC, plus I probably don't have the time for it either.

I'm new at this, been a console gamer my whole life, I'm 30 now. I was always under the impression that a gaming PC would be $2000+ but that doesn't seem to be the case so now I'm interested. It wouldn't be for a few months but I think I can go up to $1500 with or without monitor. The lowest end option on alienware.com was like $680 or something. The thing is, since I'm not hardware savvy, I'd want this thing pretty future proof so I don't have to dabble with upgrades ever.

I'd want it to be able to play pretty much anything on highest or very high settings. I'm not really into FPS so Crysis isn't something I need to play, but I want the option. Is that possible with $1500 or am I just proving how little I know? Again, this wouldn't be for a few months so I don't need any specific PC's pointed out, just gathering intel.
You only need $1,000 for the tower to get you set. For what you want, spending ~$1,250 on a fantastic tower will keep you set.
You can go pre-built, but it is recommended you build your own (Videos in the second post to guide you). Probably should make that section stand out more.

HD7950 right now. You can wait ~10 days for information on the GTX 760/760Ti and see where that falls in, should also be around $300.
Still don't see the Monoprice monitor added. It's the same quality panel as those ebay vendors, but come from a trustworthy vendor, same quality, cheaper, and with warranty.
It's on the list of updates.

kharma45

It's not frowned upon no, something like the Alienware X51 is a good option. However in saying that, building yourself is something we do try to encourage people to do here. It's not as daunting a task as it seems, and for a person doing it for the first time you'd only need to set aside around two hours or so to do it. It's hard to say with any component that you can be future proof, all you can do is guesstimate and try to plan ahead.

For $285 after rebate (plus free games) I'd get this atm http://www.amazon.com/dp/B009MML1UA/?tag=neogaf0e-20

mkenyon

Banned
Get an image, format to the proper size, and make it a transparent PNG.

Thanks.

Thanks for the fast responses, seems like a nice community you all have here. I'm considering trying to build this PC when the time comes, you'll probably see me back here in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom