• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 1. Haswell, Crysis 3, and secret fairy sauce. Read da OP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zaph

jIbWtGLIYqL8q.png
Thoughts? Anything you guys would change in a similar bracket? (any good thunderbolt motherboards that don't cost a ton?)

Will be used for After Effects, Premiere, Photoshop (by day); and gaming at 1440p (by night).

Upgrading from a i7 950 (Bloomfield) and Asus Sabertooth X58.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Thoughts? Anything you guys would change in a similar bracket? (any good thunderbolt motherboards that don't cost a ton?)

Will be used for After Effects, Premiere, Photoshop (by day); and gaming at 1440p (by night).

Go LGA 2011 platform with a 3820 instead. I'd suggest parts, but am working on that update. IIRC not all X79 boards can OC a 3820 since it's more traditional (Not just turbo multi).
You are going to overclock right?

clav

How come Intel fucked up the Haswell launch and no one on GAF seems to care?

Why would you repeat the same mistake as Sandybridge again for releasing a faulty chipset?

You're massively overspending on that RAM, just get the cheapest 16GB RAM Amazon have, don't worry about things like extravagant heatspreaders which do nothing.

kharma45

Either go i7 3820 or a 3770K, Haswell isn't worth it.

Also change the RAM to this stuff, lower profile, cheaper and you'll not notice the difference between 1600 and 1866 http://www.dabs.com/products/kingst...4_1371244019_fb9c163da5e5535c845f6adcdb076403

Why would you repeat the same mistake as Sandybridge again for releasing a faulty chipset?

We do, we're not actively recommending it.

Flaxh

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/16pKF
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/16pKF/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/16pKF/benchmarks/

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($189.99 @ Microcenter)
Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V LK ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($124.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance Pro 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($72.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 770 2GB Video Card ($409.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case ($79.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: XFX 650W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($74.99 @ NCIX US)
Monitor: Asus VX238H 23.0" Monitor ($177.64 @ TigerDirect)
Total: $1190.56
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-06-14 17:00 EDT-0400)

I'm going to the local store tomorrow to order the parts and this is my final build. I decided to cut the SSD for now and the 212 EVO cooler to make room in my bugdet for the 770 in favor of the 660. SSDs tend to get cheaper and maybe I'll buy one later this year with 256gb instead of 128 for the same price.

I'm kinda of a newbie in hardware . With that in mind, do you think I'll be able to do a good OC with this build later?

What do you guys think of the Asus screen? It was recommended by a friend and so far I've only good things about it.

One final question: Would you change this mobo for the AsRock Extreme4?

Addnan

Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case ($79.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: XFX 650W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($74.99 @ NCIX US)

I'm going to the local store tomorrow to order the parts and this is my final build. I decided to cut the SSD for now and the 212 EVO cooler to make room in my bugdet for the 770 in favor of the 660. SSDs tend to get cheaper and maybe I'll buy one later this year with 256gb instead of 128 for the same price.

I'm kinda of a newbie in hardware . With that in mind, do you think I'll be able to do a good OC with this build later?

What do you guys think of the Asus screen? It was recommended by a friend and so far I've only good things about it.

Change the RAM to some low profile ones.

If you want to overclock that CPU you really should get the cooler.

and no, stick with this motherboard.

kharma45

I'd get this instead

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 76.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($19.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: MSI Z77A-GD55 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($125.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($84.99 @ Microcenter)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 3GB Video Card ($349.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic G 550W 80 PLUS Gold Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($79.99 @ Amazon)
Other: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Low Profile Desktop Memory Model BLS8G3D1609ES2LX0 ($0.00)
Total: $1168.55
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-06-14 17:13 EDT-0400)

kharma45

I keep adding stuff to a virtual cart, and then end up not buying it because it's ivybridge.

I don't see the point of spending so much on a dead-end socket.

1150 could be equally as dead. Broadwell might well end up being BGA so where do you go from there? Haswell might get a refresh in 2014 but it'll just be slightly higher clocks maybe, iGPU improvements.

If you're going high end you could go Socket 2011.

mkenyon

Banned
I keep adding stuff to a virtual cart, and then end up not buying it because it's ivybridge.

The days of buying into a socket for eventual upgrades have been long gone since the first Core series launched.

You just have to let go and accept that now.

What's faulty with Z87? Are you talking about this?

Exactly the power saving feature of the new Intel 8 seriesint chip-sets that are used in conjunction with with the new CPUs causes the problem. If a system awakes from standby the USB 3.0 drive is gone for the system to appear a few seconds later again.This causes issues when you playback video or have a document open before you put the system in standby. When the system awakes your video player or document viewer will tell you the file is gone as the connected drive disappeared for the computer. While it might not happen very often and no data is lost it’s at least annoying.

clav

The days of buying into a socket for eventual upgrades have been long gone since the first Core series launched.

You just have to let go and accept that now.

What's faulty with Z87? Are you talking about this?

sigh

:'( well at least we can look forward to the days of throwing a setup in the trash when the cpu toasts

Yeah.

I want to eliminate the possibility of this scenario from happening.

Since you're here, is that 3570K build still the way to go for a ITX setup?

Or since I waited this long, should I wait for a price drop?

1150 could be equally as dead. Broadwell might well end up being BGA so where do you go from there? Haswell might get a refresh in 2014 but it'll just be slightly higher clocks maybe, iGPU improvements.

If you're going high end you could go Socket 2011.

I could, but electricity consumption is somewhat of a factor to me.

Oh damn! All my stuff got in today. Early fathers day present :) I originally bought a $2000 laptop but I reevaluated how I would be using the laptop.

This will be my first build from scratch in 4 1/2 years. Wish me luck!
GsBV8D9.jpg

Quick question. I'm moving 2 1TB sata drives from my current machine to the new build. I'm on the machine right now with running Windows 8. I've got a copy of Windows 8 OEM. I'd like to COMPLETELY wipe everything of the drives and start fresh.

Whats the best way to get this done?

Liha

Banned
Oh damn! All my stuff got in today. Early fathers day present :) I originally bought a $2000 laptop but I reevaluated how I would be using the laptop.

This will be my first build from scratch in 4 1/2 years. Wish me luck!
GsBV8D9.jpg

Quick question. I'm moving 2 1TB sata drives from my current machine to the new build. I'm on the machine right now with running Windows 8. I've got a copy of Windows 8 OEM. I'd like to COMPLETELY wipe everything of the drives and start fresh.

Good Luck, you have the same case like me.

kharma45

sigh

:'( well at least we can look forward to the days of throwing a setup in the trash when the cpu toasts

Yeah.

I could, but electricity consumption is somewhat of a factor to me.

Well if power consumption is an issue remember Haswell uses more than IB does. Even comparing say the 3570K and the 3820, from a quick Google you're only talking 40-50w or so.

Prices aren't likely to drop much, if at all, on the IB line. Intel won't drop it themselves, it'll be up to the retailers if they feel they need to shift the stock.

clav

Well if power consumption is an issue remember Haswell uses more than IB does. Even comparing say the 3570K and the 3820, from a quick Google you're only talking 40-50w or so.

Prices aren't likely to drop much, if at all, on the IB line. Intel won't drop it themselves, it'll be up to the retailers if they feel they need to shift the stock.

ah well

ivybridge it is

I already know what my setup is already then.

Thanks for all your input.

Flaxh

Change the RAM to some low profile ones.

If you want to overclock that CPU you really should get the cooler.

and no, stick with this motherboard.

These are the ones I'll buy but I couldn't find them on the partpicker: CORSAIR PC3-12800 1600MHZ 4GB VENGEANCE LP CL9 DDR3.

I'll probably overclock it but later when I get some more money for the SSD and a watercooler.

I'd get this instead

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 76.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($19.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: MSI Z77A-GD55 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($125.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($84.99 @ Microcenter)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 3GB Video Card ($349.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic G 550W 80 PLUS Gold Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($79.99 @ Amazon)
Other: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Low Profile Desktop Memory Model BLS8G3D1609ES2LX0 ($0.00)
Total: $1168.55
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-06-14 17:13 EDT-0400)

I actually enjoy this build a lot but isn't the 770 worth the extra money?

mkenyon

Banned
sigh

Yeah.

Yeah, the ITX stuff I have outlined is still the way to go. Swap in the newest SSDs and memory for what's in the OP and they're totally updated.

And you're not going to be using sleep state when your processor is overclocked :p

Need to add the Node 304 in there as well too.

kharma45

I actually enjoy this build a lot but isn't the 770 worth the extra money?

It's a good card but I don't believe it is. You're maybe talking 5% better (at present) at best across everything, and whilst the 770 can OC the 7970 does a much better job. Plus you've more VRAM, the Never Settle bundle as well as paying less.

It's a hard choice though between the two. Both are excellent and will not disappoint, I just feel that from a value:performance standpoint the 7970 is the better card. In saying that should you get a 770 you'll have a fantastic card that may get better as drivers mature. It's honestly win win between the two in my eyes.

scogoth

Every time I download a game through Origin, it throws all of this on my desktop. If I delete it, I cant launch any games. Anyone have any clue what could cause this?

Looks like you installed origin to the desktop. Uninstall origin and reinstall it to program filesorigin

Mr. Hyde

I hope I don't regret my haswell purchase :p I'm not an extreme overclocker. We will see if I can easily get to 4ghz.

Gregorn

I've had to increase the price by £80 on you but you'll see why

I've been thinking all evening if I should go with this or not, I was hoping to try finding something cheaper and now you've tempeted me with something more expencive. My plan is to use my TV as my second monitor, and do all my gaming on that. So I'm not that bothered about how games look, PC gaming seems more appealing due to convenience and 60fps.
But then I do have the money...

Thanks for the suggests, stuff like this helps me learn what exactly is good and what's not.

kharma45

I've been thinking all evening if I should go with this or not, I was hoping to try finding something cheaper and now you've tempeted me with something more expencive. My plan is to use my TV as my second monitor, and do all my gaming on that. So I'm not that bothered about how games look, PC gaming seems more appealing due to convenience and 60fps.
But then I do have the money...

Thanks for the suggests, stuff like this helps me learn what exactly is good and what's not.

Take your time and don't rush it would be my advice.

I have a question about cooling on my new build. I'm running:

Core i7 3770K
Corsair vengence LP 16GB DDR3
Asus Z77 mini-ITX motherboard
GeForce 660Ti
Samsung 840 500GB SSD
Cooler Master GeminII M4 CPU cooler
Lian-li PC-TU200 case

With the one click overclock option in the Asus UEFI bios which brings the CPU to 4.2ghz under load I'm getting temperatures from around 40C while idle and up to 80C while under load. This is according to RealTemp which I'm not sure is accurate or not for ivy bridge processors.

So anyway assuming its accurate its about 10 degrees hotter than I prefer, I know part of the problem is the case itself since its small and not very well ventilated, but I was thinking about buying a better front chassis fan and possibly getting a fanless PSU. My current PSU has a fan but there isn't really anywhere for the air to go since its so cramped in that case so I have a feeling it's just building up hot air inside the case.

So basically I'm just wondering if a fanless PSU and a better chassis fan on the front would make any difference? Or if 80 degrees C under load is even anything to worry about?

HD7950 right now. You can wait ~10 days for information on the GTX 760/760Ti and see where that falls in, should also be around $300.

I hope its good. I really want Nvidia since AMD has been a nightmare driver wise. Will this likely be able to play the games we say on the Playstation 4 at E3 at 1080p and 60fps?

Im looking at the suggested builds in the OP. Specially the 450 one, its in my price point and it has a nice Nvidia option. I'm concerned about the CPU though. Its an Intel G860 with 2C/2T. That seems increadibly weak. Simply because in my mind everyone has gotten away from 2C/2T. Even the 360 has 3 cores. But Im not going to pretend like I know what this stuff means. Thats why Im here. Can someone tell me what kind of effect this CPU will have on my gaming performance? I often hear that most games are gpu intensive does that mean I can get away with this CPU?

Just load the disc as normal and then when it gets to the drive portion, tell it to delete the existing partition and create a new one. Killing the partition will remove everything (so make copies / backup what you want first).

Don't forget you can pricematch newegg.com, amazon and some other stores at BB.

Never knew BB did price matches. Hell that would have saved me from that long as drive to Microcenter every other week.

senahorse

Just to play devils advocate on the haswell vs SB-E, I would stick with the delidded haswell. I did the same thing with a 3770k over sb-e and have no regrets, especially since the ROG features on the Z87 line are pretty damn incredible. mkenyon will say that the PLX adds x picoseconds of lag but I really can't notice that on top of what SLI already adds.

Kick ass build none the less, can't wait to see it finished.

Thanks, and yeah I am most likely sticking with Haswell, at the end of the day whatever the architecture I am still going to be playing the chip lottery. As well if I get a dud chip and absolutely can't deal with it (unlikely) I can always throw a Broadwell in. Also (although I don't care too much about looks vs performance) after seeing it I really want the Asus VI Formula:

ASUS-Maximus-VI-Formula1.jpg

My Fractal Design Define R4 case has a damage hinge on the fan cover that doesnt allow the fan cover to stay fully closed :/

Anyone have major issues with Fractal cases?

HoosTrax

I want someone with one of those fancy thermal imaging cameras to do a test on a Sabertoof or a Maximus both with and without the "armor" and see what happens. I'm kind of wondering if that fancy armor-plating is actually helping or hurting.

Well there is this:

ASUS_ROG_Maximus_VI_Impact_Mini-ITX_Motherboard.jpg
I don't think there's enough empty space on that board to make an armor kit possible. I mean, what is there left to cover that isn't a daughterboard or a slot.

kennah

I want someone with one of those fancy thermal imaging cameras to do a test on a Sabertoof or a Maximus both with and without the "armor" and see what happens. I'm kind of wondering if that fancy armor-plating is actually helping or hurting.

I don't think there's enough empty space on that board to make an armor kit possible. I mean, what is there left to cover that isn't a daughterboard or a slot.

I don't care. I want armour on the 4 mm space

falastini

Did anyone's R4 ship with the front panel disconnected? Mine arrived from NewEgg this way and when I attach it, the plastic tabs feel very loose. Normal? Time to RMA?

I just got one. The front filter door doesn't snap completely shut on mine. I might keep it though, since the door is going to be closed 99% of the time anyways.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Im looking at the suggested builds in the OP. Specially the 450 one, its in my price point and it has a nice Nvidia option. I'm concerned about the CPU though. Its an Intel G860 with 2C/2T. That seems increadibly weak. Simply because in my mind everyone has gotten away from 2C/2T. Even the 360 has 3 cores. But Im not going to pretend like I know what this stuff means. Thats why Im here. Can someone tell me what kind of effect this CPU will have on my gaming performance? I often hear that most games are gpu intensive does that mean I can get away with this CPU?
It's something I've considered moving to AM3+ for in that space. For the games that only need 2 cores it's very quick, nearly on par with the 2100/3220. If something does need those extra 2 threads it does bog down.

It's perfect for RTS/Source/MMO/LoL/Easy Console Ports. Above that and it's so-so.
I have a question about cooling on my new build. I'm running:

Core i7 3770K
Corsair vengence LP 16GB DDR3
Asus Z77 mini-ITX motherboard
Cooler Master GeminII M4 CPU cooler

With the one click overclock option in the Asus UEFI bios which brings the CPU to 4.2ghz under load I'm getting temperatures from around 40C while idle and up to 80C while under load. This is according to RealTemp which I'm not sure is accurate or not for ivy bridge processors.

So anyway assuming its accurate its about 10 degrees hotter than I prefer, I know part of the problem is the case itself since its small and not very well ventilated, but I was thinking about buying a better front chassis fan and possibly getting a fanless PSU. My current PSU has a fan but there isn't really anywhere for the air to go since its so cramped in that case so I have a feeling it's just building up hot air inside the case.

So basically I'm just wondering if a fanless PSU and a better chassis fan on the front would make any difference? Or if 80 degrees C under load is even anything to worry about?
Check and lower your load voltage. 4.2Ghz should be doable at near stock and shouldn't get that warm (Although 80C is ok).
I hope its good. I really want Nvidia since AMD has been a nightmare driver wise. Will this likely be able to play the games we say on the Playstation 4 at E3 at 1080p and 60fps?
AMD has gotten a lot better, although their Day 1 support is not as good.
Just to play devils advocate on the haswell vs SB-E, I would stick with the delidded haswell. I did the same thing with a 3770k over sb-e and have no regrets, especially since the ROG features on the Z87 line are pretty damn incredible.
n4hx0ER.gif

There are a couple people on here that have created the zeitgeist that Hazwell is junk and you should only go Ivy Bridge. That they'll burn your house down if you try to overclock and they have yet to-be-determined bugs to work out. I know I wouldn't upgrade from an IB to one, but if you're building a new build, it's the latest socket, it's measurably faster than IB, and it'll get a refresh with hopefully better clocks. Will this socket last much longer? No. But that's just Intel being Intel.

I don't know... I love mine, oc'd, fast, and running cool.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
There are a couple people on here that have created the zeitgeist that Hazwell is junk and you should only go Ivy Bridge. That they'll burn your house down if you try to overclock and they have yet to-be-determined bugs to work out. I know I wouldn't upgrade from an IB to one, but if you're building a new build, it's the latest socket, it's measurably faster than IB, and it'll get a refresh with hopefully better clocks. Will this socket last much longer? No. But that's just Intel being Intel.

I don't know... I love mine, oc'd, fast, and running cool.
It's just a worse value proposition for people spending $8-900 on a machine. Better to save the $50 or spend it elsewhere imo.
Is it an ok choice? Sure. There's merit to paying extra for benefits of 1150. It just doesn't sit well at all with me and seemingly requiring a $60-$100 AIO water HS to overclock to what Ivy does while using 50W more power is a joke.

Out of curiosity what CPU/Mobo/HS are you running and what temps and voltage do you get under load?

Getting ready to order the parts for a new gaming PC, I will be getting this motherboard:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131837

Playing it safe and going off the QVL, I was pretty set on this RAM - which is now sold out:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820104304&Tpk=KHX16C9K2/16&IsVirtualParent=1

Sticking with the QVL, I could go with the 4x4GB here, but I don't at all like the idea of going up to 1.65V.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820104169

So, looking for the same specs (but not on the QVL) I am considering this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233388

I don't like the idea of going away from the QVL, but realistically I don't see how it could be a problem.

Make me feel better GAF, or tell me what I'm doing wrong. I appreciate your time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom