• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 1. Haswell, Crysis 3, and secret fairy sauce. Read da OP

Status
Not open for further replies.

IrishNinja

i bought it from cyberpower, would i go to them or AMD? how long these warranties usually last anyway, i wanna say its 2 years old at this point

also what's a good price on a 1GB 7850 then? i just saw a 6950 for $130 shipped in buy/sell but ebay makes it look like they've gone for less than $100

Ty4on

Changed from auto to 1.1. Think that is within safe limits and can up it a bit more if needed.

edit: and in case anyone is wondering. Using a MSI Z77a-GD65 motherboard.

Now to read up on how to OC a GPU/is it worth it.

I have 4.0 at auto and now at load (BOINC) CPU-Z shows a vcore of 1.208.
Guess I gotta try 4.6 or something (at least 4.2-4.4 :p), just 50-55C with a H60 and my IR thermometer shows 23-24C around the intake.

kharma45

i bought it from cyberpower, would i go to them or AMD? how long these warranties usually last anyway, i wanna say its 2 years old at this point

also what's a good price on a 1GB 7850 then? i just saw a 6950 for $130 shipped in buy/sell but ebay makes it look like they've gone for less than $100

Unless you bought an extended warranty with Cyberpower you're to go to your GPU manufacturer, be it Sapphire, ASUS, Gigabyte etc., I'm just presuming they'd only give a one year warranty with the system.

The 2GB 7850 is the better buy, what's your budget?

IrishNinja

crap...you'd think i would remember something like the manufacturer...ill go find the manual later

The 2GB 7850 is the better buy, what's your budget?

id love to stay at or below $100 if that was realistic...again as long as the card in question would fit my SG-07 case, as the 6870 was pretty snug

kharma45

crap...you'd think i would remember something like the manufacturer...ill go find the manual later

id love to stay at or below $100 if that was realistic...again as long as the card in question would fit my SG-07 case, as the 6870 was pretty snug

Should say the GPU manufacturer on the card itself.

Ah for $100 you'll not get a 7850, you're talking at least another $60 for the 1GB version or another $80 or so for the 2GB version, if it helps they come with Bioshock Infinite & Tomb Raider for free.

For $100 the only new GPU you'll get is the 7770, so used is probably the best option as it's a bit of a step down from the 6870.

IrishNinja

damn. so that $130 for a used 6950 in the buy/sell was a good deal then? cause i like the idea of a card bringing bioshock infinite, but not going over $150 like that

Addnan

How long do you guys keep Prime95 running to test overclock? Got 3570K @4.6Ghz 1.16V. Prime has been running for 1hour now. Temps peak at 63C.

Zeth

How long do you guys keep Prime95 running to test overclock? Got 3570K @4.6Ghz 1.16V. Prime has been running for 1hour now. Temps peak at 63C.

I think 1 hour is a solid minimum to test stability/temps. I haven't gone past 90 minutes but I'm happy with 4.2Ghz for the time being. I'd imagine longer is better to ensure stability at those clocks, but I'm somewhat new here.

kharma45

damn. so that $130 for a used 6950 in the buy/sell was a good deal then? cause i like the idea of a card bringing bioshock infinite, but not going over $150 like that

Yeah it was a good deal most likely.

Some people want it done for ages but 2 hours would suffice for me tbh, I'd also run Intel Burn Test too a few times as well.

bro1

Banned
Is there any good option to stream games from my Office PC to my TV wirelessly? I can't run a wire without spending a ton of cash.

Ty4on

Just curious, how was it snug? The SG07 can fit a 6990 if you squeeze it and a reference 6870 kinda looks tiny in it. Little space for extra wires?
036.jpg

Zeth

I love the Fractal R4, but it's my first real build. I ended up with the no-window version by mistake but I guess I don't mind at this point, since I haven't prioritized cable management yet :lol. It seems pretty damn quiet to me too. It really stood out to me as my favorite minimalist design when I was shopping around. Very clean.

Nakazato

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i3-2100 3.1GHz Dual-Core Processor ($109.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Pro4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($109.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($29.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Hitachi 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($54.98 @ Outlet PC)
Video Card: Asus Radeon HD 7850 2GB Video Card ($189.99 @ Newegg)
Case: NZXT Source 210 Elite (White) ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Antec 450W ATX12V Power Supply ($38.99 @ Amazon)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($19.99 @ Microcenter)
Total: $603.91
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-02-05 11:21 EST-0500)

Updated my build with these specs could i hit 1650x1050 on most games high and med settings?

So now that my audio is working, I'm still a little worried about this purple/green screen on start up. I've updated my BIOS and now I'm getting a single red light on start up, which switches on and off again before it gets to windows.

Any tips?

mkenyon

Banned
So is anyone going to pick up the GeForce Titan depending on the actual specs and performance?
Me.
Isn't P8Z77-M's only 3 audio jacks a disadvantage?
I'm not sure what you mean.
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i3-2100 3.1GHz Dual-Core Processor ($109.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Pro4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($109.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($29.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Hitachi 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($54.98 @ Outlet PC)
Video Card: Asus Radeon HD 7850 2GB Video Card ($189.99 @ Newegg)
Case: NZXT Source 210 Elite (White) ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Antec 450W ATX12V Power Supply ($38.99 @ Amazon)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($19.99 @ Microcenter)
Total: $603.91
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-02-05 11:21 EST-0500)

Updated my build with these specs could i hit 1650x1050 on most games high and med settings?
Yeah, looks good.

iavi

Sounds good so far, temps seem nice on it. Try for 1200 core.

Got a stable 1200 on the core, though; I did have to bump the load-fans up to 80%, and juice the voltage just a tad--same temps.

Before doing that I got greedy and bumped the mem clock up to 1540 too: Blue-screened out. I didn't see any artifacts before it went either lol. Just crashed.

now: Core Voltage=1125/core clock=1200/mem clock=1456/idle fan speed=50%

Temps on all of that 29~31c while idle.

Overall, I'm pleased with my current results. I was able to bench an average of 41.1 fps in Unigine--max everything (extreme tesselation--which kills this card, 8x msaa, etc) , and that's with my 3570k at stock.

I need to ask, though; is there a program that'll let me set auto fan curves that actually WORK? afterburner's aren't taking as I set them. I have to do it all manually.

n0n44m

If the Titan is going to be €900, and I can offload my 670SLI + blocks for around 600~650, I might go for it (though I expect availability issues)

@mkenyon : have you tried 3Dmark yet ? Can you set PCI-E speed (2.0/3.0) on your board? I'm beginning to suspect there is some 670 SLI bug on Graphics Test 2 in Fire Strike for PCI-E 2.0 x8 670 SLI setups ...

mkenyon

Banned
Got a stable 1200 on the core, though; I did have to bump the fans up to 80%, and juice the voltage just a tad--same temps.

Before doing that I got greedy and bumped the mem clock up to 1540 too: Blue-screened out. I didn't see any artifacts before it went either lol. Just crashed.

now: Core Voltage=1125/core clock=1200/mem clock=1456/idle fan speed=50%

Temps on all of that 29~31c while idle.

Overall, I'm pleased with my current results. I was able to pull an average of 41.1 fps in Unigine--max everything (extreme tesselation--which kills this card, 8x msaa, etc) , and that's with my 3570k at stock.

I need to ask, though; is there a program that'll let me set auto fan curves that actually WORK? afterburner's aren't taking as I set them. I have to do it all manually.
That's even easier to OC than videocards now.

You could try Precision X for fan curves. I'm not very familiar with them in recent history. All my NVIDIA cards have been under water.
If the Titan is going to be €900, and I can offload my 670SLI + blocks for around 600~650, I might go for it (though I expect availability issues)

@mkenyon : have you tried 3Dmark yet ? Can you set PCI-E speed (2.0/3.0) on your board? I'm beginning to suspect there is some 670 SLI bug on Graphics Test 2 in Fire Strike for PCI-E 2.0 x8 670 SLI setups ...
I haven't, spent most the evening on the phone with my ISP trying to sort out issues :(

iavi

That's even easier to OC than videocards now.

You could try Precision X for fan curves. I'm not very familiar with them in recent history. All my NVIDIA cards have been under water.(

I'm using the stock fan while I wait for my H80i to arrive :( got impatient. I was thinking about giving it a slight boost to 3.8~3.9 as Ivy's supposed to be great on temps until you hit the heat wall? Those clocks aren't even outside the range of Intel's own stock 'Turboboost' tech, so I think it'll work.

Precision X looks fantastic. Thanks. I'll give it a shot.

kharma45

If you're on the stock fan I'd just leave it until your H80 arrives.

OCing my 2500K atm, sitting at 4.2GHz with 1.288v and max temp so far after having Prime95 running for about 20 minutes is 56 degrees, happy with that so far.

Zimbardo

Yeah it was a good deal most likely.

Some people want it done for ages but 2 hours would suffice for me tbh, I'd also run Intel Burn Test too a few times as well.

i'd even trust Intel Burn Test over Prime ...in my experience anyway.

testing with IBT + Max memory = awesome stability indicator ...and is much quicker than Prime. tho like u said, its good to use both i guess.

Talents

Banned
Quick question, out of the Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo and the Arctic Cooling Freezer 13 what one would you recommend?

Also, what PSU Wattage would you recommend for a AMD Radeon HD 7970?

kharma45

Quick question, out of the Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo and the Arctic Cooling Freezer 13 what one would you recommend?

Also, what PSU Wattage would you recommend for a AMD Radeon HD 7970?

Hyper 212.

A good quality 500w would be more than sufficient, would let you OC it and your CPU with a lot to spare. All depends on what you can afford to spend on one.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Use a combo of BCLK and ratio to get a good OC, memory around 2000 with 1.5V, and then look at all of your voltage options in BIOS to see what needs to be tweaked.

I've messed with it quite a bit actually but went back to stock with the OC Tuner that got me a 3.9ghz OC and 1677 RAM OC. I've had it to 4.6 and mem to 2056 or some odd amount but am not seeing the performance I wanted. There is tons of settings I'm not used to.

mkenyon

Banned
I've messed with it quite a bit actually but went back to stock with the OC Tuner that got me a 3.9ghz OC and 1677 RAM OC. I've had it to 4.6 and mem to 2056 or some odd amount but am not seeing the performance I wanted. There is tons of settings I'm not used to.
Do you mean you were not satisfied with the performance you had at 4.6?

scogoth

Welcome to real overclocking =/
What settings are you unfamiliar with? We can help you understand what they mean, what they affect and how to use them to push the limits. It was X58 ocing that really taught me how a CPU works.

Koroviev

What games would tax the 3570K at stock? Games are the most intensive applications that I run.

Debating a Z77 motherboard. My sister would inherit my current one and I'd get her an i3.

kharma45

What games would tax the 3570K at stock? Games are the most intensive applications that I run.

Debating a Z77 motherboard. My sister would inherit my current one and I'd get her an i3.

BF3 multiplayer will.

Overclocking also reduces frame latencie times too, mkenyon had a good graph posted a while ago but I can't seem to find it, plus it's more performance for free. No point getting a K CPU and not OCing it, you're just wasting money.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Welcome to real overclocking =/
What settings are you unfamiliar with? We can help you understand what they mean, what they affect and how to use them to push the limits. It was X58 ocing that really taught me how a CPU works.

If you got a minute, we can chat via Skype and then I can actually tell you all the settings I see as there is a lot to go over.

mkenyon

Banned
Yes but going from 150fps to 200fps is going to make that much of a difference.
Depends on the game in question. Not all games on an engine get the same performance. The charts above are not 150 to 200fps :p

*edit*

I'll also make clear, that overclocking *always* reduces the amount of frame latency spikes. This is what we perceive as stutter.

*edit 2*

Also, those above charts are at 1920x1080 with every setting at max. Don't even bother looking at overclocking data based on FPS metrics. It hides all of the good data.

Koroviev

BF3 multiplayer will.

Overclocking also reduces frame latencie times too, mkenyon had a good graph posted a while ago but I can't seem to find it, plus it's more performance for free. No point getting a K CPU and not OCing it, you're just wasting money.

UE3 games, Blizzard games, Source Engine (to an extent). Basically anything that uses 1-2 cores, and then some random ones like Skyrim and Far Cry 3.

Yeah, I run games at a locked 60 fps.

But I'd have to overclock beyond the 3.8GHz granted by turbo boost, right? And how much of a temp increase would I be looking at?

M3z_

Only notable games that I know of that are heavily CPU dependent are Borderlands 2, Skyrim, and SC2(and most other strategy games I'm sure).

Here is an article that has some benchmarks of the difference in performance between a low end intel i3/amd 4170 v. an i5 3550 using a 7970.

Noaloha

A big old game of Civ V gives the CPU a good workout when you hit the end turn button. Planetside 2 is also CPU hungry and it's free if you don't mind fannying around with SOE sign-ups and what have you.

~~~~~

I was in this thread a few weeks back whining about having to RMA my eight month old Asus DCUII 7970. Mr kharma45 convinced me to do it through the retailer, dabs.com, and I got the process going on the evening of the 21st of January. Their process allowed me to select a courier to pick it up the next day and I came home today to find a bunch of emails informing me that a replacement card should be with me this thursday, 7th of February.

So, what's that, seventeen days? Given the horror stories I've heard about UK Asus RMAs, I'm actually pretty pleased with that! Was expecting it take a month or so. Very happy with how dabs.com returns process worked too. No fuss.

Can't wait to get my 7970 back in the machine. I've been making do with a 5570 this past fortnight. At least it meant I got back into Dwarf Fortress!

iavi

I'm running into a weird issue. I'm playing DmC, and have gpuz going on the second screen. my GPU clocks are staying locked at 500mhz while under 80~90% load, even though the max clock is set at 1200. Is it hitting a wall?

I'm pushing a lot with the game too: 54~60fps@1920x1080/max settings/volumetric AO/ 4xEQ MSAA etc

The game is dropping frames, so it's definitely taxing to the point that the GPU should be clocking higher to compensate. Really weird.

mkenyon

Banned
Yeah, I run games at a locked 60 fps.

But I'd have to overclock beyond the 3.8GHz granted by turbo boost, right? And how much of a temp increase would I be looking at?
Turbo Boost is for only a single core.

Temps at 4000 MHz are generally fine on a stock cooler, depending on the voltage needed to get there (probably don't need a voltage increase unless you get a shitty *cough* MSI *cough* Z77 motherboard).

kharma45

A big old game of Civ V gives the CPU a good workout when you hit the end turn button. Planetside 2 is also CPU hungry and it's free if you don't mind fannying around with SOE sign-ups and what have you.

~~~~~

I was in this thread a few weeks back whining about having to RMA my eight month old Asus DCUII 7970. Mr kharma45 convinced me to do it through the retailer, dabs.com, and I got the process going on the evening of the 21st of January. Their process allowed me to select a courier to pick it up the next day and I came home today to find a bunch of emails informing me that a replacement card should be with me this thursday, 7th of February.

So, what's that, seventeen days? Given the horror stories I've heard about UK Asus RMAs, I'm actually pretty pleased with that! Was expecting it take a month or so. Very happy with how dabs.com returns process worked too. No fuss.

Can't wait to get my 7970 back in the machine. I've been making do with a 5570 this past fortnight. At least it meant I got back into Dwarf Fortress!

Glad to hear it all went smoothly :)

Koroviev

Turbo Boost is for only a single core.

Temps at 4000 MHz are generally fine on a stock cooler, depending on the voltage needed to get there (probably don't need a voltage increase unless you get a shitty *cough* MSI *cough* Z77 motherboard).

I have the Evo cooler, so that shouldn't be an issue. I would need a different motherboard though. But idk if Frys will honor the "buy a processor + mobo and get $50 off" offer going on at Micro Center.

iavi

Never mind on the issue with the GPU clock. A restart of the game fixed it. Now it's running at the same settings but without one dip below a locked 60fps. Afterburner reports it running at 1200 too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom