• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 1. Haswell, Crysis 3, and secret fairy sauce. Read da OP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zeth

What motherboard would you guys recommend out of these for a i5 3570k and a AMD Radeon HD 7970?

Gigabyte GA-B75M-D3V

Gigabyte GA-B75M-D3H

Gigabyte B75-D3V

Gigabyte GA-Z77-D3H

Asus P8Z77-V LX

Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H

Asus P8Z77-M

I have an Asus P8z77-V LK. No problems so far, got it for a fantastic price. No wifi/blutooth however (I think).

smr00

Banned
So this kind of both on and off topic. Long story short i went with a alienware X51 (i know i know but my local sams had it on sale/clearance for $899) but i hear you can upgrade the 660 to a 660ti or 670 but since i know nothing about computers i figured maybe someone in the computer building forum might.

mkenyon

Banned
So this kind of both on and off topic. Long story short i went with a alienware X51 (i know i know but my local sams had it on sale/clearance for $899) but i hear you can upgrade the 660 to a 660ti or 670 but since i know nothing about computers i figured maybe someone in the computer building forum might.
X51s are actually a pretty great deal. The 660 in the X51 is almost the same card as the 660Ti, and NOT the same model as the desktop 660. It's a bit better than the standard 660. Pushing up to 670 performance is pushing the limits of the power supply though. There's an X51 thread here on GAF that has some really knowledgeable people, and I'd put it by them.
What motherboard would you guys recommend out of these for a i5 3570k and a AMD Radeon HD 7970?

Gigabyte GA-B75M-D3V

Gigabyte GA-B75M-D3H

Gigabyte B75-D3V

Gigabyte GA-Z77-D3H

Asus P8Z77-V LX

Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H

Asus P8Z77-M
If those are the only choices, the -M, followed by the Z77-D3H.

Koroviev

I think I'm ready to part with my PS3. I love Ico, but it's the only thing I've played on it in months.

The one thing I'd like to keep is the controller, but is it even worth selling without that? I have one of the slim 160GB models from 2011, hardly used at all.

Is there a better controller that I should be using for PC games? I hate the 360 controller.

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
I posted this in the Buy/Sell/Trade Thread but thought I might get a faster answer here:

G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1000 (PC2 8000) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F2-8000CL5D-4GBPQ
20-231-145-Z02

Does anyone know how well those would play with these?

Patriot Extreme Performance 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model PDC24G6400ELK

I know that in the best case, the combined set would only run as fast as the slower pair, but would there be any potential for random crashes and such?

I think I'm ready to part with my PS3. I love Ico, but it's the only thing I've played on it in months.

The one thing I'd like to keep is the controller, but is it even worth selling without that? I have one of the slim 160GB models from 2011, hardly used at all.

Is there a better controller that I should be using for PC games? I hate the 360 controller.

I've got this one and it's pretty nice. Same layout as the Dualshock but a bit bigger
http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-940-000110-Gamepad-F310/dp/B003VAHYQY/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1360027389&sr=8-2&keywords=pc+controller

DarthWoo

You're buying these? If so... why?

Well, waiting as long as I am, someone else will probably have already bought them by the time I decide to, but I was just curious if they would actually work at all for bringing my system up to 8GB without making it completely unstable. I already have the latter pair. I know more than 4GB might not help all that much for gaming, but perhaps for Photoshop and Painter.

Camp Lo

Banned
Well, waiting as long as I am, someone else will probably have already bought them by the time I decide to, but I was just curious if they would actually work at all for bringing my system up to 8GB without making it completely unstable. I already have the latter pair. I know more than 4GB might not help all that much for gaming, but perhaps for Photoshop and Painter.

You should fill out the PC spec list on OP so we know what you're working with at least. For you to choose DDR2 this enthusiastically is making me go hmm.

DarthWoo

You should fill out the PC spec list on OP so we know what you're working with at least. For you to choose DDR2 this enthusiastically is making me go hmm.

Your Current Specs: E8400 3.0GHz / 4GB (2x2) DDR2 / Asus P5Q Pro / GTX 260 (probably a 560 Ti by next week) / Forgot my PSU, but it's around 600-700 watts / Just an old Antec case
Budget: n/a, just upgrading some things piecemeal with no intent to do the whole thing
Main Use: Rate 1-5. 5 being Highest: Light Gaming 5, Gaming 4, Emulation (PS2/Wii) 2, Video Editing 1, HD Streaming 1, 3D/Model work 3, General Usage (Word, Web, 1080p playback) 5. Also various digital art programs (Photoshop, Painter, etc.) 5
Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080
List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: Is 30FPS acceptable? 60? 120? Will you use CUDA accelerated software? Bad Company 2 and Skyrim are probably the most taxing game for right now, maybe also Battlefield 3 later on. 30FPS is fine, 60 would be nice.
Looking to reuse any parts?: List make and model (e.g. Corsair 520HX 520W, 640GB SATA HDD, Antec 900) Not rebuilding the whole system, so pretty much everything is remaining in use except the various pieces I want to add.
When will you build?: What time frames are doable? Are you building this weekend? Do you need it in a week or so? Can you wait a month or two? n/a
Will you be overclocking?: Yes, No, Maybe (This means yes!) Occasionally, but just the CPU.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Well, the new rig works. I don't have the 670's or the Samsung 240 Pro but that will change tomorrow. Took me like 4 hours to sort my wires and do all my work. Couldn't do push/pull unfortunately but idle CPU temps are still in the mid 20's.

Hmm, that is the one Steam is promoting. I really just need one for console ports (i.e. DmC, Dark Souls, etc.).

Any other suggestions? Or should I stick with the DS3?

probably stick with the DS3 then, if that's what you like. better than trying another one out that you might not ike

I just got done picking out parts for my 1st custom pc and I got this message...Compatibility note - ASRockZ77 Pro4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard has an onboard USB 3.0 header, but the HAF 912 ATX Mid Tower Case does not have front panel USB 3.0 ports. I know little about computers. Can someone translate this for me?

Koroviev

probably stick with the DS3 then, if that's what you like. better than trying another one out that you might not ike

Yeah, I really like the build quality of it, as well as that it charges on the USB.

Trying to find a local buyer for the PS3 and have friends who will buy a few games.

scogoth

I just got done picking out parts for my 1st custom pc and I got this message...Compatibility note - ASRockZ77 Pro4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard has an onboard USB 3.0 header, but the HAF 912 ATX Mid Tower Case does not have front panel USB 3.0 ports. I know little about computers. Can someone translate this for me?

The ASRockZ77 probably also has USB 2.0 headers so its no problem. Alternatively you can get a USB3.0 to USB2.0 header adapter to plug in the front USB Ports.

EDIT: Yep it has USB 2.0 headers

I used a G500 for some time and quite liked it, though the shape definitely favors those who palm the mouse. If you want the same features in a more compact 'claw/fingertip grip' friendly package, also look at the G9x, which is my current favorite.

Hey thanks! Yea, I palm, not a claw grip guy. Cool thank you so much!

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Basically your motherboard has front USB 3.0, but your case doesn't have the connector for it.
Well, the new rig works. I don't have the 670's or the Samsung 240 Pro but that will change tomorrow. Took me like 4 hours to sort my wires and do all my work. Couldn't do push/pull unfortunately but idle CPU temps are still in the mid 20's.
idle is worthless, put some load on it and see where it stands :)
Should be ok, just set them in BIOS to the same speeds (probably 5-5-5-15). Run a 15 minute memtest86+ to be sure.
Hey thanks! Yea, I palm, not a claw grip guy. Cool thank you so much!
You can get the MW3 version for cheaper. But it's the MW3 version.

BasicMath

GPU Upgrade.

Your Current Specs: 2500k / 16 GB RAM DDR3 / z68. It's PCI-e 3.0 capable but the cpu isn't. / 460 GTX 768MB
Budget: $350
Main Use: Light Gaming:5, Gaming:3, Emulation:3, Video Editing:5, HD Streaming:4, 3D/Model work:2, General Usage:5
Monitor Resolution:3xMonitors at 1920x1080. Gaming resolution will be no higher than 1 monitor at 1920x1080.
List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: Linux. I know it's not an application but I fear AMD and their drivers because of the nightmare inducing stories.

Other: Thinking of going with a EVGA's 660TI FTW+ at the moment. Not even sure if that's good or not.

scogoth

Basically your case has front USB 3.0, but your motherboard doesn't have the connector for it.

So you can either buy a USB 3.0 card that has an internal port on it, or buy a USB 3.0 to 2.0 adapter since they aren't the same dimensions.

idle is worthless, put some load on it and see where it stands :)

Should be ok, just set them in BIOS to the same speeds (probably 5-5-5-15). Run a 15 minute memtest86+ to be sure.

You can get the MW3 version for cheaper. But it's the MW3 version.

Think you read that backwards. The board has USB3.0 the case doesn't

Lizard with a ladder

learnin' with the blacks!
Been having some issues with crashing while gaming. Artifacts and messed up mouse cursor. Sometimes screen goes pitch black, I hear the audio skipping and I'm forced to hit the reset button on my pc.

Called Gigabyte to RMA the card. Shipped it to them and got it back promptly. Stoked to get back into gaming with no issues. I fired up Skryim. A few hours in and the same problems arose.

Got on the phone with Gigabyte support and they're telling me my card was fine and that it's probably a software issue. The tech support guy blaming it on ati.

At this point, I'm ready to buy a new card. What's the best bang for the buck under $300?

I was looking at this one - http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00966IREK/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
7950 > 660Ti. Pick your GPU company. Both are great cards.
GPU Upgrade.

Your Current Specs: 2500k / 16 GB RAM DDR3 / z68. It's PCI-e 3.0 capable but the cpu isn't. / 460 GTX 768MB
Budget: $350
Main Use: Light Gaming:5, Gaming:3, Emulation:3, Video Editing:5, HD Streaming:4, 3D/Model work:2, General Usage:5
Monitor Resolution:3xMonitors at 1920x1080. Gaming resolution will be no higher than 1 monitor at 1920x1080.
List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: Linux. I know it's not an application but I fear AMD and their drivers because of the nightmare inducing stories.

Other: Thinking of going with a EVGA's 660TI FTW+ at the moment. Not even sure if that's good or not.
I'd get the MSI personally, but the eVGA is good as long as it's not DOA :p
Think you read that backwards. The board has USB3.0 the case doesn't
Whoops, yeah.

Can just plug the case connector into one of the mobos 2.0 ports.

BasicMath

7950 > 660Ti. Pick your GPU company. Both are great cards.

I'd get the MSI personally, but the eVGA is good as long as it's not DOA :p

DOA? That kinda worries me. I have an MSI gpu right now and I love it but I heard something about them overvolting some of their cards and it got me evading them for now. If that's not an issue anymore, I'll go with them again. I'll research a bit more. Thanks.

Edit: The issue was with 660 TIs and 670s.

Koroviev

DOA? That kinda worries me. I have an MSI gpu right now and I love it but I heard something about them overvolting some of their cards and it got me evading them for now. If that's not an issue anymore, I'll go with them again. I'll research a bit more. Thanks.

I have an MSI 7850 TF III and it's running very cool and quiet. No issues to report.

aristotle

Man after looking at Microcenter's new ad, I don't if I should go there or Fry's. If I lived close, it wouldn't matter, but I live 90 minutes away from each one (there less than 2 miles apart). I'm stumped.

Koroviev

Man after looking at Microcenter's new ad, I don't if I should go there or Fry's. If I lived close, it wouldn't matter, but I live 90 minutes away from each one (there less than 2 miles apart). I'm stumped.

Go directly to the source. Shower yourself in the glory of cheap Ivy Birdge goodness.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Hmm, the MW3 g500 or the other model? I dunno if I want a claw grip mouse like that. Is it noticeably better? I guess its subjective!
My previous mouse was the g9 in a semi claw grip. Meant the MW3 G9x which is $45 iirc

Edit: The issue was with 660 TIs and 670s.
Whoops, yeah I just double checked and it does involve that specific model. Good catch.
The eVGA one is nice and they'll take care of you. I installed one for a client a week ago actually.

Esqueleto

Banned
Just upgraded to an intel cpu and mobo. Instant blue screen. Repair didn't work so now I have to reinstall everything. It was still worth it. Cant wait to overclock this sucker.

iavi

So, the beast is alive; up and going with no issues at all, aside from me first forgetting to connect the secondary atx power cords, which did scare the shit out of me. I can't lie.

I'm running stock everything right now, but I do plan to start OC'ing. The 3570k I'm not going to OC until the H80i arrives (...
I'm actually on the stock cooler atm
), but the 7950 I want to do asap. Best program to get that done?

I don't really know of any of the power apps. A rec for one to watch temps, and eventually OC the CPU would be a big help too.

Read the op.

bananas

Banned
I just spent $1000 on my new PC. AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Getting all the components on Thursday, but the case won't get here till Friday. Kind of a bummer.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Just upgraded to an intel cpu and mobo. Instant blue screen. Repair didn't work so now I have to reinstall everything. It was still worth it. Cant wait to overclock this sucker.
Generally a mobo change will need a OS install. Sometimes no, but a good idea anyway.
I just spent $1000 on my new PC. AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Getting all the components on Thursday, but the case won't get here till Friday. Kind of a bummer.
Cases are overrated. Test bare components, then drop it in.

Addnan

Few days ago I barely knew how to OC. Now have 3570K at 4.5Ghz. I know it's pretty normal to be able to get this out of an Ivy, but I am new to it. Seems stable so far. Why am I having fun adjusting vcore and ratios :/

iavi

Few days ago I barely knew how to OC. Now have 3570K at 4.5Ghz. I know it's pretty normal to be able to get this out of an Ivy, but I am new to it. Seems stable so far. Why am I having fun adjusting vcore and ratios :/

It's not actually normal to get 4.5 out of Ivys. 4.2~ is the common range.

My Overclocks -

Processor: When I put it to 4.2, there were signs of what I observed to be "Instability".
So I just have it at 3.8 now.

Graphics: As for my Sapphire 7950, I have it at something like 1150/1450? at +20 power. I didn't really try fine tuning at all, just a random number I picked for now.

Memory: Then, my samsung low profiles are at 1866mhz 9-9-9 at stock V.

How are my overclocks? I don't really know what goes inside the process of fine-tuning, so I'm not going to try for now.

Ty4on

That's why it's stupid to say "I'm not going to overclock". It took me three seconds to change the multiplier to 40 (I have never overclocked before either) and it can be done with most chips on the stock cooler. 4.5 is pretty decent, what is the vcore at? 4-4.2 seems to be the limit without changing voltage.

Edit: 7950 at 1150 is pretty good, no? 1200 is good for the 7970 IIRC.

Addnan

That's why it's stupid to say "I'm not going to overclock". It took me three seconds to change the multiplier to 40 (I have never overclocked before either) and it can be done with most chips on the stock cooler. 4.5 is pretty decent, what is the vcore at? 4-4.2 seems to be the limit without changing voltage.

Changed from auto to 1.1. Think that is within safe limits and can up it a bit more if needed.

edit: and in case anyone is wondering. Using a MSI Z77a-GD65 motherboard.

Now to read up on how to OC a GPU/is it worth it.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I think I want a capture card. I want something that will let me capture up to 1080p video (and audio) over HDMI, so I can record reviews from my consoles. I have no fucking idea what I'm looking at and they all seem weirdly expensive.

Does anybody have any advice?

iavi

So far, on my Sapphire 7950 - Dual X

I've, bumped the voltage up to 1130, got the core clock at 1153 and mem clock at 1456 with my gpu fans at a max of 70%.

after about 20 minutes of running my gpu at full load with Unigine--heaven bench, I have temps that never go above 52c on the gpu, and 52c/VRM1 & 53c/VRM2. No artifacting.

Did I win the chip lottery?

kharma45

So far, on my Sapphire 7950 - Dual X

I've, bumped the voltage up to 1130, got the core clock at 1153 and mem clock at 1456 with my gpu fans at a max of 70%.

after about 20 minutes of running my gpu at full load with Unigine--heaven bench, I have temps that never go above 52c on the gpu, and 52c/VRM1 & 53c/VRM2. No artifacting.

Did I win the chip lottery?

Sounds good so far, temps seem nice on it. Try for 1200 core.

Akai__

I think I want a capture card. I want something that will let me capture up to 1080p video (and audio) over HDMI, so I can record reviews from my consoles. I have no fucking idea what I'm looking at and they all seem weirdly expensive.

Does anybody have any advice?

Remember, that you won't be able to capture your PS3 output via HDMI, because the signal is being protected. I don't know about the WiiU, but the Xbox 360 shouldn't be a problem.

I have a Black Magic Intensity Shuttle USB 3.0 and I love it. It's an external capture card, so I don't know, if you are okay with it.

Don't know about other 1080p capture cards, but that's because I bought the most recommended back then and I was never interested in others.

IrishNinja

fuuuuuuuuuck i think my 6870 blew a fuse or something....yesterday i was just browsing/reading comics and alla sudden my HTPC got loud as hell, i guess that was the GPU's fan but it was just going crazy outta nowhere, so i shut it down, had a few problematic startups after that but it was okay.

today, there's artifact on the bootup screens, and windows crashes pretty fast (early on the screen would just split, then freeze - now it's just fading to black or blue and there's no sound or anything). i opened up the case, dusted shit off (its only a few years old!) but i'm running it right now in safe mode, only stable way i can use it at the moment.

TL;DR if i end up needing to replace an ATI 6870 that i was great for my gaming needs, how can i do so with that or a comparable (preferably ATI) card on the cheap? think ima keep an eye on the buy/sell thread...oh yeah card has to be able to fit into a snug SG-07 case, natch

kharma45

fuuuuuuuuuck i think my 6870 blew a fuse or something....yesterday i was just browsing/reading comics and alla sudden my HTPC got loud as hell, i guess that was the GPU's fan but it was just going crazy outta nowhere, so i shut it down, had a few problematic startups after that but it was okay.

today, there's artifact on the bootup screens, and windows crashes pretty fast (early on the screen would just split, then freeze - now it's just fading to black or blue and there's no sound or anything). i opened up the case, dusted shit off (its only a few years old!) but i'm running it right now in safe mode, only stable way i can use it at the moment.

TL;DR if i end up needing to replace an ATI 6870 that i was great for my gaming needs, how can i do so with that or a comparable (preferably ATI) card on the cheap? think ima keep an eye on the buy/sell thread...oh yeah card has to be able to fit into a snug SG-07 case, natch

Look to RMA it if it's still under warranty.

If it's not I'd look at something like the 7850 or 7870, all depends on your budget.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom