• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 1. Haswell, Crysis 3, and secret fairy sauce. Read da OP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Momentary

Banned
For simplicity's sake, I'd suggest going with the X-Res 140. That does indeed come with a mounting bracket, and it actually decouples the pump to make it nearly silent. Pretty rad setup. Then just grab a D5 vario (very important that you get a vario, it has a higher setting with much better pressure/flow than standard D5s) of your choice. Could get the Aquacomputer if you are going the Aquaero route.

I was thinking of just going with EK XTX rads. I was looking at the Aquacool Vario pump. Only thing with these is that I wish I could cover the pump somehow to give it a cleaner look. Also, in terms of accessory wiring do I have to worry about sleeving SATA cables, pump cables, etc. or can they be hidden properly as to not be shown. I know that this can probably be done with the pump, but I don't know about SATA connections.

mkenyon

Banned
So why not get the best of all worlds and buy Samsung 30nm RAM at 1600MHz prices that runs at 2133!

If that isn't the deal of the century, I don't know what is.
I was thinking of just going with EK XTX rads. I was looking at the Aquacool Vario pump. Only thing with these is that I wish I could cover the pump somehow to give it a cleaner look. Also, in terms of accessory wiring do I have to worry about sleeving SATA cables, pump cables, etc. or can they be hidden properly as to not be shown. I know that this can probably be done with the pump, but I don't know about SATA connections.
You mean like the Bitspower D5 Mod Kit?

193949382_193839819485422a300227e1c7895134e3143a2b698362984.jpg

You could have someone sleeve them if you want. Psycho Sleeve has really reasonable prices for things like SATA cables and extra I/O bits and pieces.

But, they can be mostly hidden. I don't bother with it, but mostly because I'm really intimidated by sleeving.

Also, if you are going the thick rad route, I'd push you towards Alphacool UT60s. They have some pretty cool fitting features, like drain ports on the bottom, as well as a total of 6 in/out ports. EK XTXs certainly perform admirably though.

Anton668

well the monitor, router, laptop (all Asus. they must think im a fanboy) showed up today. love it when free prime 2 day shipping shows up in 1 day.

picked up the I7 and Z77 MB from Microcenter today. found out Tiger direct is right down the street from them. while I was there I saw the had a bunch of the Samsung memory. so if your in the Chitown area and need memory... $47.

anyway... the laptop has win8 on it and ive seen it mentioned about a app that will change the layout to mimic the old start menu. so.. whats the name of the app im looking for?

scogoth

But, they can be mostly hidden. I don't bother with it, but mostly because I'm really intimidated by sleeving.

Also, if you are going the thick rad route, I'd push you towards Alphacool UT60s. They have some pretty cool fitting features, like drain ports on the bottom, as well as a total of 6 in/out ports. EK XTXs certainly perform admirably though.

Sleeving is not that scary. It only requires the most basic knowledge of electricity and some good workmanship.

An get the Alphacools. They are fantastic.

Edit: Had sleeping instead of sleeving. Thanks autocorrect!

scogoth

well the monitor, router, laptop (all Asus. they must think im a fanboy) showed up today. love it when free prime 2 day shipping shows up in 1 day.

picked up the I7 and Z77 MB from Microcenter today. found out Tiger direct is right down the street from them. while I was there I saw the had a bunch of the Samsung memory. so if your in the Chitown area and need memory... $47.

anyway... the laptop has win8 on it and ive seen it mentioned about a app that will change the layout to mimic the old start menu. so.. whats the name of the app im looking for?
Classicshell or start8

Momentary

Banned
I've been waiting for Samsung RAM to show back up in stock on Newegg. If they don't restock soon I'm just going to hope that the 1600mhz G.Skill RAM does the same thing.

Edit: Well. They just freakin' sold out of that RAM too. But I saw this...

What the hell is the difference between their NS Series and Value line

The LD-7 case or me is just too intimidating and from what I've looked at a little bit pricey once I get all the accessories that I need for it. It's the same with Caselab's line.

You mean like the Bitspower D5 Mod Kit?

You could have someone sleeve them if you want. Psycho Sleeve has really reasonable prices for things like SATA cables and extra I/O bits and pieces.

Yeah. That looks really nice. I'm just going to go with the X-Res. If there was a way to buy that sleeve separately and have it latch on to the X-Res somehow that would be awesome.

I'm going to go check out pricing at Psycho Sleeve. Since I have to work with soldering, crimping, and changing out male and female ends on cables in my job, I'm guessing sleeving can't be too bad to do on my own.
Edit: Just looked at the website... That is some pro looking work. There is no way I could get my stuff to look like that on the first try.

scogoth

I've been waiting for Samsung RAM to show back up in stock on Newegg. If they don't restock soon I'm just going to hope that the 1600mhz G.Skill RAM does the same thing.

The LD-7 case or me is just too intimidating and from what I've looked at a little bit pricey once I get all the accessories that I need for it. It's the same with Caselab's line.

The only thing comparable to Samsung's ram is crucial's new ram which is the Samsung ram

mkenyon

Banned

What accessories would you need with it that something like the 800D already has?

The GSkill RAM does not do the same thing. The Samsung RAM can be OC'd to 2000+ due to the fact that it's on a 30nm process with super low voltage.

*edit*

Yeah, Crucial too. But the Crucial stuff isn't the same as the Samsung, just the same manufacturing process. Crucial is Micron's retail arm. Micron and Samsung are the two major players in the flash memory world.

mkenyon

Banned
Will the next batch of monitors ship without the 3D gimmick? Because I don't want to pay extra for that and it seems to be a feature of all of the current 120Hz monitors.
Sorry I missed this. All 120hz monitors are capable of 3D, as what you need to display 3D is be able to alternate images twice to achieve the 3D effect at 60hz. So, saying 3D and 120hz is pretty much the same thing. There's a bit more that goes into it, but in terms of added price, it's peanuts. They'd be silly not to do it, so they can expand the potential market for it.

Super cheap 700D with a single stuck pixel on OCN:

http://www.overclock.net/t/1351104/samsung-s23a700d-120hz-led-lcd-monitor

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
SSD benchmark time!

I was reading the hardocp review on the 240 256gb SSD. I took their ATTO DiskMark score and ran one of my own. The one on the left is their and the one on the right is mine.

attocomparionhardocpvkkkuz.png

It started off a little behind but when it came down to the halfway point or so, my benchmark really began to outshine theirs. I don't know if it's the motherboard or something else but I just update to the latest Intel Rapid Storage driver and seen a huge boost over the stock one as I was getting some really low 4k benches in AS SSD.

Well not really destroy them but I liked the rates I was getting :p

OBS

No. 667MHz is 1333Mhz (Double Data Rate, Generation 3). If you run out of RAM that will limit you though :p

RAM differences are extremely negligible, although for video encoding you can kind of justify the $5-10 premium for 1866Mhz sticks, but it's just like a 5% boost at max. In general use RAM differences are like 0-3%. Even less if use 1600Mhz as a starting point vs 1333.

Thanks! I did not know that. After looking at my usage during editing it seems like even an extra couple sticks of the slow RAM would help.

For my home rig I'll definitely be going with the Samsung though.

Momentary

Banned
http://lutro0-customs.myshopify.com

Found that website for lots of tools for sleeving and plenty of choices of color in the form of paracord.I think I'm going to tackle this sleeving on my own and see how it turns out.

As for the RAM, Newegg isn't carrying it anymore. I don't even think that they fit properly in the cooling blocks that I'm getting for my RAM since they look low pro.

Koroviev

Sorry I missed this. All 120hz monitors are capable of 3D, as what you need to display 3D is be able to alternate images twice to achieve the 3D effect at 60hz. So, saying 3D and 120hz is pretty much the same thing. There's a bit more that goes into it, but in terms of added price, it's peanuts. They'd be silly not to do it, so they can expand the potential market for it.

Super cheap 700D with a single stuck pixel on OCN:

http://www.overclock.net/t/1351104/samsung-s23a700d-120hz-led-lcd-monitor

Oh, I see. I prefer to avoid used anything when it comes to electronics. I'm on the line with Frys right now trying to see what they have... Takes way too long to get a hold of someone who actually knows something about PCs...

Edit: Well, nothing worthwhile at Frys. I'm having second thoughts about my stance on used parts. A PC enthusiast takes care of things, right?

scogoth

I'm just too lazy to reinstall windows and all my programs

Create a system image somewhere else (external drive) and system restore disc. Wipe both HDD and SSD, boot from disc, restore from image to SSD, ???, wait, ??? wait some more and OS ON SSD!

EDIT: and liquid I'm home so any questions you want to ask skype me or if you have mumble hop on the neogaf unofficial

damn you ASUS. second motherboard that has gone bad/had something wrong.
so when I RMA this board, can I just plug in the SSD with the OS already installed (windows 8) or do I have to start fresh again? also, do i need to contact Microsoft seeing as I bought an OEM copy and will have to install on a new motherboard?

scogoth

damn you ASUS. second motherboard that has gone bad/had something wrong.
so when I RMA this board, can I just plug in the SSD with the OS already installed (windows 8) or do I have to start fresh again? also, do i need to contact Microsoft seeing as I bought an OEM copy and will have to install on a new motherboard?

Should be able to plug it in. May need to phone microsoft. What was wrong with the board but still let you get to the OS installation stage?

iavi

I think I've now spent the whole day fighting the quiet enemy of 7950 OCs: Throttling.

I didn't notice how bad it was throttling me until I experienced the clocks lock to 500mhz. After I got it all working, I noticed that the it would peak at 1200 for intervals, but remain largely at 850mhz. Increasing the power allowance by 20% did nothing.

In the end, I've ended up with a steady 1111mhz on the gpu and 1457 on the mem, and am getting MUCH better performance than when I had the gpu set at 1200.

RS4-

It's about as close as it gets to what I consider a perfect case. I'm not very fond of the PC-V8, as it is just too huge. The PC-V7 has great dimensions, insanely modular, perfect spacing of even the HDD cages to allow for proper radiators, all thick aluminum, elegant exterior.

It's nothing I would ever recommend to even a standard enthusiast. But if you're looking at the 900D, it seems like a no-brainer to go that extra mile to get a truly high class piece of kit. I get the allure of the 900D though. Some people just really really like Corsair products, some people like really big cases with tons of features. It hits the check boxes for those folks.

The rails you see along the top and front can mount 5.25" devices. So you could mount things like a fan controller, bay reservoir, or Aquaero on the roof of the case if you so desire.

I like the PCV7, just not too fond of the grill on the front. Regardless, I'm sure that both the PCV7 and the 900D will be out of my price range lol.

Bleeether

So I've had my new rig running for a few weeks now. Everything is running solid, so now i want to dabble in oc the cpu and gpu for a stable 24/7 clock. I have no experience doing this at all, but i am quiet confident i can figure it out if i have the right guides to teach me.

So i have found these two guides for my P8z77 mobo and gtx 670, and wanted to ask you experts if these are solid to rely on:

http://www.overclock.net/t/1291703/ivy-bridge-overclocking-guide-asus-motherboards

http://www.overclock.net/t/1265110/the-gtx-670-overclocking-master-guide

Thanks

Bleeether

Just submitted a payment for a 120Hz panel. I...this thread. Oh well, I'm excited.

Congrats! What kind did you get?

I was blown away when i received my Benq, I've never owned a proper display panel so the jump from an ancient panel was like going from black and white tv to color for the first time.

DJ_Lae

Installed the Xonar DG that came today - crackling gone at high volumes, overall it just sounds really nice. I'll have to crack my headphones out of the moving boxes to really appreciate it though.

Koroviev

Congrats! What kind did you get?

I was blown away when i received my Benq, I've never owned a proper display panel so the jump from an ancient panel was like going from black and white tv to color for the first time.

mkenyon directed me to an ASUS VG236HE 23" for sale on another forum. I'm currently using a 25" 1080p television, so I'm hoping that the increased pixel density + responsiveness will make a big difference.

Bleeether

mkenyon directed me to an ASUS VG236HE 23" for sale on another forum. I'm currently using a 25" 1080p television, so I'm hoping that the increased pixel density + responsiveness will make a big difference.

o yeah thats pretty solid monitor. If its anything like my experience using my t.v as a monitor, you will definitely notice a significant difference especially in pixel density.

Koroviev

Haha. Good for you! I must admit I did start looking for any local used 120hz monitors (silly Canada)

I was on the fence, but then I started seeings 120Hz panels being likened to SSDs in terms of night-and-day differences and I needed one (._. )

I know there might be a model refresh coming up, but I don't have two monitors yet....
And they'll probably be really expensive :(

I looked around for new ones but they are pretty scarce right now.

scogoth

I was on the fence, but then I started seeings 120Hz panels being likened to SSDs in terms of night-and-day differences and I needed one (._. )

I know there might be a model refresh coming up, but I don't have two monitors yet....
And they'll probably be really expensive :(

I looked around for new ones but they are pretty scarce right now.

It's ok the VG236 is great, I have three of them and have had no issues with any of them.

LiquidMetal14

Memory bench meddling....

The regular maxxmem results are paltry for me. I get a max of 19GB throughput out of these. I managed to find a the maxxmem multi preview and got this score...

maxxmemmulticau6i.png

Timings

dram8kjo3.png

Bare in mind I'm running quad channel.

M.Bluth

Guys, I might have an issue!

I've got the i5 3570k running at stock speed (will oc after figuring out this), being cooled by a Hyper 212, room temp is around 75F.

RealTemp is showing me a difference of around 10 degrees or more between Core 0 and Core 3, while Core 1 and 2 are somewhere in between:

2TAUItB.png

using prime95's benchmark produced similar results. I reapplied the thermal paste with the same results. Is this normal or is my cooler isn't seated correctly?
The temperature variation is either a bad mount, improper use of thermal paste, or an inaccurate temperature sensor.

Mid 50s is typical I think for air cool with no OC.

See if you can tweak the voltage, LLC, and turbo ratio to get 75C peak at 4.5 GHz. That's a solid, aggressive, basic OC. Some CPUs and some cheaper motherboards cannot do it reliably, but a mid to high tier Z77 should make 4.4 GHz minimum and reliably.
I guess I'll remount it later, then... I'm suspecting I'm putting a bit too much thermal paste too.

thanks! Will report later

Okay, I reinstalled the cooler a couple of times, tried different ways to applying the thermal paste and the results are pretty similar.

This is the latest test I've done:

c74FmBG.png

Room temperature is around 75F.

Should I worry, or go ahead with the OC...?

LiquidMetal14

Okay, I reinstalled the cooler a couple of times, tried different ways to applying the thermal paste and the results are pretty similar.

This is the latest test I've done:

c74FmBG.png

Room temperature is around 75F.

Should I worry, or go ahead with the OC...?

My temps with a 4.7ghz OC and running OBS with BF3 for 30 minutes looked like this.

3930kb2joe.png

I wasn't running BF3 at the time but outside of running a closed loop water cooler, your temps should be much better than that with that cooler.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Thought that it might be about time to upgrade the ol' PC.

*reads up a bit*

Ivy Bridge E not coming out until Q3.

Bah.

I wonder if Haswell would be a viable alternative.

LiquidMetal14

Anyone very familiar with RAM OC and CPU OC? Here's what I have so far.....

-3930k boots up at 4.8ghz with a manual voltage of 1.395. I toned that down to 1.390 and 4.7ghz. Stable after testing and played BF3 for a half hour just fine. Temps capped out at no higher than 63 on the highest core.

-4 dimm 16gb quad channel Samsung RAM. I can't boot up at 2400mhz. I tried 10-10-10-28 2t, 11-11-11-28 2t, and 10-11-11-28 2t with no luck. Had the vccsa set to 1.100 and ram voltage to 1.6. I can boot up at 9-10-10-21 2t at 2133 speeds though.

Is there something I can do to push for 2400mhz such as higher CPU OC? If I can hit that frequency then I would like to do so.

DTKT

So, memory timing, my current RAM isn't using the manufacturer specified values. Is that an issue or does it impact performance?

LiquidMetal14

It all depends on your manufacturer and their specified voltage limits. My best advice is to research the type of memory you buy and see if you can even play with it. I bought 2 dimms of GSKILL mem that had timings of 9-9-9-24 1t @1.5v. I couldn't do anything and if I did, the system wouldn't post and I had to reset the CMOS. This Samsung memory has yielded me a very good OC and I'm still tweaking but I can play with this.

Akai__

I'm looking for a new 1080p TV. Should be between 23"-25", so I'm being just curious, which one you have? Also, want to use it for my Xbox 360 and of course next gen consoles.

Uthred

Any thoughts on the Node 304 vs SG07/08 for a SFF build? The Silverstone cases offer (much) better CPU cooling while the Node 304 seems to have a slight advantage in GPU cooling. The Node 304 is also cheaper (though lacks a PSU so ultimately not super cheaper). Does anyone have direct experience with the two?

Koroviev

I'm looking for a new 1080p TV. Should be between 23"-25", so I'm being just curious, which one you have? Also, want to use it for my Xbox 360 and of course next gen consoles.

It's a 25" Hanspree. I wouldn't mind selling it once I have the new monitor. I was thinking of giving it to my sister, but I can just pick her up an actual monitor since she needs one for her PC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom