• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 1. Haswell, Crysis 3, and secret fairy sauce. Read da OP

Status
Not open for further replies.
It'll be somewhere in BIOS in devices or controllers. Your manual should list it.

*edit*

To be clear, I mean go ahead and disable everything about your on board sound in BIOS. There should not be a listing for your sound card, so you will just disable everything related to sound in BIOS.

Done. Still no sound from the S/PDIF port. At the moment, I only see the two options in the playback: Speakers or S/PDIF Pass Through Device. Regardless of which I choose, the optical does not play sound.

I'd really like to get this working. My other option is to have a single output to the L and R aux ports on my receiver. I don't know why, but that option makes an awful buzzing noise when I'm playing games.

garath

Hmm...I think I can work with 128GB. I don't really plan on doing much except game on it. Hmm...

Edit: Might run a little bit over my budget...so I'll have to save up for it.

Any motherboard in particular I should look out for? And I don't have a hard drive I can bring over, really.

The SSD will make the OS a little snappier and games load a bit quicker. If you have any need for storage greater than 128gb, go ahead and get the 1TB drive without any concern and get an SSD later. I can assure you games still load very quickly with an old fashioned big ass mechanical drive.

Personally I still like having space to keep my games installed and not constantly have to re-download them if I feel like playing one I haven't in awhile.

I'd still consider it a luxury item and if you were debating spending more money, it would be better spent in a better GPU/CPU or mobo like kennah said. When faced with game performance vs convenience, I'll always take performance.

I'm not a huge audio expert, but S/PDIF is the optical, correct?

Are you certain the correct header is plugged in and enabled via some driver tool for the sound card?

*edit*

http://usa.asus.com/Multimedia/Audio_Cards/Xonar_DGX/

The bottom of that indicates that it automatically switches to front panel when it detects something is plugged in.

Yeah, it's optical. It is plugged in correctly and I enabled it with their clunky software too. I'm chatting with their support now, but the person does not seem knowledgeable.

Varg

Banned
Not sure if it was mentioned in this thread but i just came back from best buy and purchased a i7-3770k for 229.99. They were able to price match the microcenter that was 20 miles away from me. The store has to be within 25 miles from you to qualify as a local establishment. I couldn't pass this up and im not sure how long that price from micro center will stay so whenever you get a chance go!!!!

A.Romero

Having tried disabling HD Audio, HDMI audio still doesn't work properly. It still cuts out, unless I have a DVD playing on Windows Media Player. I have had Realtek HD Audio Manager installed and working before, but audio was cutting out and I was advised to try onboard audio alone, which is when I found out about the rear/front panel audio jacks not working.

So this could be a Windows thing, rather than a motherboard thing?

I got a 7950 and same happens to me. Try enabling HDTV overdrive for a few seconds in the catalyst application.

I don't know why but after that it normally works afterwards. You'll need to do so every time you start your computer. It seems to be related to the hdmi drivers.

The SSD will make the OS a little snappier and games load a bit quicker. If you have any need for storage greater than 128gb, go ahead and get the 1TB drive without any concern and get an SSD later. I can assure you games still load very quickly with an old fashioned big ass mechanical drive.

Personally I still like having space to keep my games installed and not constantly have to re-download them if I feel like playing one I haven't in awhile.

I'd still consider it a luxury item and if you were debating spending more money, it would be better spent in a better GPU/CPU or mobo like kennah said. When faced with game performance vs convenience, I'll always take performance.

Yeah, I think I'm going to hold off on the SSD for now. And I upgraded the mobo to the suggested one by kennah. Unfortunately, the case I wanted is sold out at the moment. So I have to look for something else...

Talents

Banned
Hey everyone, first time posting in these threads. Anyway, I'm thinking about building a new PC using this website:
http://www.cyberpowersystem.co.uk
Anyway these are the Specs I've been looking at getting:

CPU: Intel® Core™ i5-3570K Quad Core 3.40 GHz 6MB Cache LGA1155
RAM: 8GB (2x4GB) PC12800 DDR3/1600mhz Dual Channel Memory
Motherboard: MSI Z77A-G43 Intel Z77 Chipset, ATX Mainboard w/ 4 RAM slots, IRST, Lucid Virtu MVP, 7.1 HD Audio, GbLAN, 2x PCIe x16 (1 Gen3, 1 Gen2), 1x PCIe x1 & 3 PCI ***Overclockable XXX***
Graphics card: AMD Radeon HD 7970 3GB
PSU: Cyberpower 850watt High Performance Gaming Power Supply
Case: CoolerMaster Elite 310 Mid-Tower Gaming Case

Main Use: I will not be doing things like editing, just gaming, so I guess a 3 or 4
Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080
List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: Final Fantasy 14: ARR, Battlefield 3 and some other MMORPG's such as Guild Wars 2. As long as the FPS stays 30+ on highest settings, I'll be happy.
When will you build?: Time's not really a problem
Will you be overclocking?: Yes

Altogether it costs £988/$1554
I want to keep the Intel i5-3570k and the AMD Radeon HD 7970 the most, anything else I don't really mind if it's downgraded as long as it can still run modern games well.
I won't be looking at upgrading it in the future.

Anything you can see that will lower the price of the build but still keep its efficiency? Help would be greatly appreciated as it's my first time building a custom PC.

Momentary

Banned
Samsung memory is sold out on Newegg so I figured I'd go with this since the PCB is also black which will help with my color scheme.

G.SKILL NS Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 buy 2 pair of these for 16GB

and add

EK RAM waterblock + EK RAM module

Still comes out to be cheaper than the dominator platinum RAM and it will end up looking better. It's still cheaper even after the fittings and extra tubing.

I was thinking about going with 32GB of RAM, but I think 16GB will be more than enough for just gaming.

Akai__

Hey everyone, first time posting in these threads. Anyway, I'm thinking about building a new PC using this website:

Motherboard: MSI Z77A-G43 Intel Z77 Chipset, ATX Mainboard w/ 4 RAM slots, IRST, Lucid Virtu MVP, 7.1 HD Audio, GbLAN, 2x PCIe x16 (1 Gen3, 1 Gen2), 1x PCIe x1 & 3 PCI ***Overclockable XXX***

Main Use: I will not be doing things like editing, just gaming, so I guess a 3 or 4
List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: Final Fantasy 14: ARR, Battlefield 3 and some other MMORPG's such as Guild Wars 2. As long as the FPS stays 30+ on highest settings, I'll be happy.

I want to keep the Intel i5-3570k and the AMD Radeon HD 7970 the most, anything else I don't really mind if it's downgraded as long as it can still run modern games well.

Anything you can see that will lower the price of the build but still keep its efficiency? Help would be greatly appreciated as it's my first time building a custom PC.

You don't need a 850W Power Supply for this. It's too much, I think. Better go with a lower wattage one and a 80+ certified or better.
Also, if you want to overclock, I would recommend a good CPU cooler, like the Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO and the Samsung GAF RAM.

Edit: You would also save a lot of money, if you build this by yourself.

mkenyon

Banned
Samsung memory is sold out on Newegg so I figured I'd go with this since the PCB is also black which will help with my color scheme.

G.SKILL NS Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 buy 2 pair of these for 16GB

and add

EK RAM waterblock + EK RAM module

Still comes out to be cheaper than the dominator platinum RAM and it will end up looking better. It's still cheaper even after the fittings and extra tubing.

I was thinking about going with 32GB of RAM, but I think 16GB will be more than enough for just gaming.
Wait for it to come back in stock unless you are planning to build this week.

MisterNoisy

The basics (CPU, mobo, RAM) are fine, but I'd skip the 'Cyberpower 850W PSU', since the Cyberpower branded ones are generally pretty crap, regardless of their rated output. To be honest, I'm not a huge fan of any of the optional PSUs on that configuration site too, though the Corsair and Cooler Master units are all better options than the CyberPower units. Same with the case - it's not 'bad', but it's definitely a 'budget' offering - the HAF 912 or Carbide 300R would be big steps up for not much cash.

You'd likely get a better system for the same $$ building yourself, and it's not terribly difficult - lord knows that there are plenty of people here that can help. :)

MisterNoisy

Hey Everyone,

I've been looking into getting a new mouse and a few people around me are suggesting this one .

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826104318

Its a Logitech G500, looks solid just wondered if anyone had any experience with it? Thanks!

I used a G500 for some time and quite liked it, though the shape definitely favors those who palm the mouse. If you want the same features in a more compact 'claw/fingertip grip' friendly package, also look at the G9x, which is my current favorite.

mkenyon

Banned
I used a G500 for some time and quite liked it, though the shape definitely favors those who palm the mouse. If you want the same features in a more compact 'claw/fingertip grip' friendly package, also look at the G9x, which is my current favorite.
G9x was pretty good, but the Xornet/Spawn offer superior sensors and a better shape for a lot less $.

Momentary

Banned
Wait for it to come back in stock unless you are planning to build this week.

I'm not done with this deployment until the 23rd of Feb. I just want stuff waiting for me at my fiance's house. I guess I could wait to order until then. I'm just hoping I don't miss the release of the 900D and the Titan while I'm in my prep time for leaving.

Talents

Banned
The basics (CPU, mobo, RAM) are fine, but I'd skip the 'Cyberpower 850W PSU', since the Cyberpower branded ones are generally pretty crap, regardless of their rated output. To be honest, I'm not a huge fan of any of the optional PSUs on that configuration site too, though the Corsair and Cooler Master units are all better options than the CyberPower units. Same with the case - it's not 'bad', but it's definitely a 'budget' offering - the HAF 912 or Carbide 300R would be big steps up for not much cash.

You'd likely get a better system for the same $$ building yourself, and it's not terribly difficult - lord knows that there are plenty of people here that can help. :)

Thanks for the advice! Is this site any better or is it just as bad?
http://www.computerplanet.co.uk/custom/intel-sandy-bridge/step1.html

Zeth

Are the 128gb SSDs currently the best bang for your buck? I'd like 256 but the price difference kinda hurts.

Hoping to get a good price at microcenter for an 840/pro or an M4. Maybe OCZ?

scogoth

Just bought a new CMStrom Sentinel Advance II and after a weekend of use it feels that the new sensor is much improved over the first gen. Middle mouse button is much clickier too, I just hope it holds up better then my last one. OLED is much clearer and goes off after a short time of inactivity so I don't get zfz burned into my mouse. I didn't know they switched from all black to black and grey but nothing a little dinoc can't fix. Overall still love this mouse and its customizabilty and driverless operation and they seems to have fixed all the major issues from the first gen.

Koroviev

Are the 128gb SSDs currently the best bang for your buck? I'd like 256 but the price difference kinda hurts.

You can get a 256gb M4 for $190. Do that.

Anton668

Micro Center has them on sale right now and if you buy a CPU, MB, or PC you get another $20 off!

128GB 840 Pro for $114.99 256GB - $204.99
128GB 830 $109.99

http://viewer.zmags.com/publication/c0a7cbf9#/c0a7cbf9/41

sale is till the 10th

ETA: or go the M4 route as Koroviev said

OCZ apparently has gnarly reliability issues, stick with 840 pro/830 M4.

M4's seem to go on sale for 170 every copule of weeks, I got mine for 180 for a 256.

Koroviev

Hmm...I think I can work with 128GB. I don't really plan on doing much except game on it. Hmm...

Edit: Might run a little bit over my budget...so I'll have to save up for it.

Any motherboard in particular I should look out for? And I don't have a hard drive I can bring over, really.

Look out for deals on the M4. I would recommend getting the SSD first simply because it's where will want to install your OS.

OK, so I should be getting a nice big tax refund check in a few days and I'm interested in upgrading my PC's Motherboard, CPU, and RAM.
My PC is running an OEM version of Windows 7 and I wanted to know how to go about moving the windows license or registration onto the new motherboard.

Any way to do this easily, or does it require a call to Microsoft in order to make it happen?

scogoth

OK, so I should be getting a nice big tax refund check in a few days and I'm interested in upgrading my PC's Motherboard, CPU, and RAM.
My PC is running an OEM version of Windows 7 and I wanted to know how to go about moving the windows license or registration onto the new motherboard.

Any way to do this easily, or does it require a call to Microsoft in order to make it happen?
You need to call them.

kennah

Depending on how long it has been since you activated it might just go through. The call to ms is painless.

"hi i upgraded. My number is blah"
"ok. Is this installed on just one computer"
"yes"
"ok here is your activation code"

mkenyon

Banned
If still in stock, Newegg has the 256GB Crucial M4 for $160

promo code: EMCYTZT2886

Just bought a new CMStrom Sentinel Advance II and after a weekend of use it feels that the new sensor is much improved over the first gen. Middle mouse button is much clickier too, I just hope it holds up better then my last one. OLED is much clearer and goes off after a short time of inactivity so I don't get zfz burned into my mouse. I didn't know they switched from all black to black and grey but nothing a little dinoc can't fix. Overall still love this mouse and its customizabilty and driverless operation and they seems to have fixed all the major issues from the first gen.
Old version > new version. :p

Xdrive05

What's the skinny on 8-core Haswells? Is that rumored to be a thing? Any chance Intel will release a mid-range variety in 8 cores?

scogoth

What's the skinny on 8-core Haswells? Is that rumored to be a thing? Any chance Intel will release a mid-range variety in 8 cores?

Where did you hear this rumour? I seriously doubt they well release an actual 8 core mid range CPU, HT'd 4 core for sure.

mkenyon

Banned
If you are curious about this because of the prevalence of 8 core rumors in consoles, as well as AMD's variant, they can't really be compared.

AMD's 8 cores are really more like quad cores, as each pair works as a single core.

There *might* be IvyBridge-E octo cores, but I'd expect the price to be $600-1000.

Xdrive05

If you are curious about this because of the prevalence of 8 core rumors in consoles, as well as AMD's variant, they can't really be compared.

AMD's 8 cores are really more like quad cores, as each pair works as a single core.

There *might* be IvyBridge-E octo cores, but I'd expect the price to be $600-1000.

Yeah I was thinking about next-gen engines almost certainly being n-threaded, or optimized specifically for 8 threads. My 3570k might not cut it on the more lazy ports, despite being 4.5Ghz. This time next year I'm probably better off swapping it for a used 3770k + a few bucks if it ends up making a difference.

iavi

The fry's in Northern California don't price match Microcenter. :(

Went in for the 3770k, walked out with the 3570k.

Anton668

You likely won't have to call

good to know as im in the same stuation

and now that I think about it... i forgot i need memory a OS and a HDD(thought I had one) for the new sys.. bah. back to shopping I go :(

that 1TB WD Blue should be good till I can scrounge up a SSD right?

ETA: I may have the old memory somewhere.... now where the hell did i put it???.......

mkenyon

Banned
Yeah I was thinking about next-gen engines almost certainly being n-threaded, or optimized specifically for 8 threads. My 3570k might not cut it on the more lazy ports, despite being 4.5Ghz. This time next year I'm probably better off swapping it for a used 3770k + a few bucks if it ends up making a difference.
Nope nope nope. When you are talking about smooth performance, which is frame latency, it's all on per-thread performance.

Look at it this way. Right now, with how engines are coded, your 3570K is being just barely taxed, with only a few of the cores. If engines become more efficiently coded, it's going to be able to start using more of that 3570K performance that isn't even being touched at the moment.

We only see games bottlenecked by processors when you are looking at games that are coded for only one or two cores. In every highly threaded game that is out, CPU performance makes nearly zero difference.

Zeth

You can get a 256gb M4 for $190. Do that.

I'm definitely considering it. I'm not sure if I need an 840 Pro. It's pretty much strictly for gaming if that matters.

If still in stock, Newegg has the 256GB Crucial M4 for $160

promo code: EMCYTZT2886

Old version > new version. :p

Whoa! That looks like a hell of a deal. Any idea when it expires? Anyway, looks like I need to get to Microcenter this week.

Camp Lo

Banned
Not sure if this was posted it was exciting to me and for those who aren't near micro center:

i5 3570k is now $189 in store at CompUSA until 2/8

Check your local ad to make sure; it's in PC parts blowout sale

So here's a funny story:

Before work today, I turned off my computer and unplugged it from the wall. When I got in this evening, I turn the PC on and Realtek HD Audio Manager is suddenly showing up in the taskbar, and my audio is now working. Onboard, front panel, speakers, everything. I feel like a frigging idiot - I was sat there all night restarting the computer, when it sounds like it just needed a hard reset...

I am still a little worried about the hang during the 'Starting Windows' screen, however. It hangs then flashes green/purple. Any ideas? I know the 'PSOD' is a GPU thing, but it's not quite like that.

I'll try and get round to posting pics at some point, too.

Talents

Banned
What motherboard would you guys recommend out of these for a i5 3570k and a AMD Radeon HD 7970?

Gigabyte GA-B75M-D3V

Gigabyte GA-B75M-D3H

Gigabyte B75-D3V

Gigabyte GA-Z77-D3H

Asus P8Z77-V LX

Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H

Asus P8Z77-M

What motherboard would you guys recommend out of these for a i5 3570k 3.4GHZ and a AMD Radeon HD 7970?

Gigabyte GA-B75M-D3V

Gigabyte GA-B75M-D3H

Gigabyte B75-D3V

Gigabyte GA-Z77-D3H

Asus P8Z77-V LX

Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H

Asus P8Z77-M

I have an msi z77. pretty happy. even has an overclock button, for someone like me who doesn't know how to do it manually

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom