• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 1. Haswell, Crysis 3, and secret fairy sauce. Read da OP

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJ_Lae

Well, I think I finally figured out what the annoying interference at higher volumes on my speakers was caused from, and I feel like an idiot for not even considering it sooner - my powerline ethernet adapters. That or there's some obnoxious ground loop that I probably can't do anything about.

On the bright side, headphones sound fantastic through my Xonar DG so it was $25 well spent there.

Zeth

I bought a physical copy of Windows 7 when I built my rig a few weeks ago. Will I be able to use it for a fresh install on my new SSD, or how does that work?

Dave_6

Oh I know. I'm sure I will be perfectly happy once I finally get my build done and play something for the first time.

My work place is giving away Hesh 2.0 or a 100$ Dinner for 2.

What does the gods of Gaf think about those ?

I wasn't really looking for a new headset but my Sony MDR-XD100s are getting older.

xptoxyz

The only GPU on sale that needs PCIe 3 really is the 690, and probably AMDs 7990 variants that are around. You're fine with PCIe 2 for a 680/7970 and below.

650 Ti isn't a great buy, you're better off with AMD at that price point. 660 is the lowest Nvidia card I'd go for and even then it's limited if you get the 2GB version as the 192 bit memory bus can only utilise 1.5GB of VRAM.

Yeah, as I researched more and more, I started coming to that sort of conclusion. Thanks for the help, going to relay that info now.

Salaadin

Smokey

Wow...has to be a sign.

Since I have 2 more monitors on the way, I have been looking at the AMD offerings as a curiosity. I spent the better part of the day yesterday doing so. Read about the Ghz editions, the 384 bit Bus Width helping at higher resolutions etc. From what I can gather on the multi-monitor front is that AMD does it better, and in general one 7970 does a fairly good job at holding good frames and graphical settings while in Eyefinity?
Based on all of that and the revelation that they are fixing some major issues with these upcoming drivers I'm intrigued...And at $360 + Crysis 3 and Bioshock Infinite bundle I'm almost intrigued enough to try my first AMD card.

You have dealt with both AMD and Nvidia so let me ask:

1. One 7970 versus my current 580 sli setup...noticeable improvement here or maybe a wash? What about in Eyefinity?

2. This is one of the better (best?) 7970s no?

3. Is the AMD driver situation really improving or is it all PR?

4. How is NCIX? Never ordered from them.

I would normally do my own research on this but I'm at work and can't get to the usual sites. Plus I value your opinion on these things.

Talents

Banned
So just about to finalize my build yet I've got an extra £60 ($93) to spend, anything you guys would recommend I'd upgrade?:

CPU: Intel i5 3570K
RAM: Corsair 8GB 1600 MHz (DDR3)
MOBO: Asus P8Z77-V PRO
GPU: Sapphire HD 7970 Vapor-X (already ordered)
PSU: Corsair 750W
Hard Drive: 2TB Seagate 7200 RPM 64MB
SSD: 120GB OCZ Vertex 3

I'm not looking to do any editing/streaming I'm only going to be doing gaming.

Cheers.

kharma45

Wow...has to be a sign.

Since I have 2 more monitors on the way, I have been looking at the AMD offerings as a curiosity. I spent the better part of the day yesterday doing so. Read about the Ghz editions, the 384 bit Bus Width helping at higher resolutions etc. From what I can gather on the multi-monitor front is that AMD does it better, and in general one 7970 does a fairly good job at holding good frames and graphical settings while in Eyefinity?
Based on all of that and the revelation that they are fixing some major issues with these upcoming drivers I'm intrigued...And at $360 + Crysis 3 and Bioshock Infinite bundle I'm almost intrigued enough to try my first AMD card.

1. One 7970 versus my current 580 sli setup...noticeable improvement here or maybe a wash? What about in Eyefinity?

I would normally do my own research on this but I'm at work and can't get to the usual sites. Plus I value your opinion on these things.

1. Moving to a single GPU is always preferable as there isn't any of the issues that a multi GPU set up can bring. You'll also get more VRAM with the 7970 however at stock the 7970 isn't as fast as an SLI 580 set up http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/618?vs=584 (providing the game can utilise two cards). 7970 overclocks very well though and might well beat the 580 SLI, but I've no data to back up that guess.

2. It is, yes.

3. They're fine now for the most part, never had any trouble with them for long time. Most of the negativity comes from ignorance.

So just about to finalize my build yet I've got an extra £60 ($93) to spend, anything you guys would recommend I'd upgrade?:

Cheers.

The SSD, I wouldn't get a Vertez 3.

Where are you ordering stuff from? You could probably change that PSU but if you throw me some links I can have a look for you.

mkenyon

Banned
Wow...has to be a sign.

1. Somewhere between a wash and worse. You don't have just any 580s.

2. Yes.

3. Genuinely improving. I ran a few benches last night that were noticeably smoother than the first set, with the frame latency much more stable. This was in Dota 2, which wasn't even on the list of improved titles.

4. Awesome.

kennah

Cheers.
Spend the extra to get a 250gig samsung 840.

Varg

Banned
Trying to finish this build and the pc won't detect my 7970 at all . It powers on and everything but just won't detect . I disabled the on board video from the devices and still nothing . When I have my card inserted into the pc, my power and reset button does not work , when its out , the buttons work fine . Anyone have any ideas ? This has been a bigger pain in the ass then I realized

kharma45

Talents

Banned
Oh forgot about that! Most of it looks ok bar that SSD. Make sure it's not the CX Corsair PSU you're getting too.

What case? Also, do consider building :p

Getting the NZXT Phantom 410 - White case.

So instead of that SSD should I get the 240GB Corsair?

mkenyon

Banned
Trying to finish this build and the pc won't detect my 7970 at all . It powers on and everything but just won't detect . I disabled the on board video from the devices and still nothing . When I have my card inserted into the pc, my power and reset button does not work , when its out , the buttons work fine . Anyone have any ideas ? This has been a bigger pain in the ass then I realized
The Stealers avatar prevents me from helping.

Hawks fan. But make sure you reseat everything and ensure that the card is in the proper PCI-E slot which your motherboard manual specifies. Also make sure that PCI-E slot isn't disabled in BIOS. Finally, make sure all of the power connections are seated properly on the card, as well as on the PSU if it is modular.
Any creative suggestions on what to do with my old 48GB SSD once I upgrade to a 128GB drive?
Use it as a file download location where you unzip things to. That'll keep your new primary drive shiny and healthy. Or, use it as a dedicated OS installation SSD. You can get a Zalman USB enclosure that you can select which ISO you want to mount even.

Guys, can you all help me understand the point of a gaming keypad (gameboard) vs just a good keyboard?

I picked up a Logitech G13 thinking it would provide a more comfortable alternative to a keyboard for gaming in most circumstances. That the keys would feel objectively better and that sort of thing.

That said, beyond the macros that allow you to record keypresses I'm not sure if it's really an upgrade? It's possible that I haven't given it enough time to say I've given it a fair shake. Yet in a lot of the multiplayer games I want to play, I tend to need to use a keyboard at times to write messages to the team and that sort of thing. That means I have to (1) take my hand of the gameboard, (2) find the keyboard, (3) get my left hand in position to type, (4) type the message, (5) then reacclimate my left hand to the gameboard. A series of steps that simply don't exist if I just use the keyboard. And naturally, because the gameboard has a limited number of keys, some keys get moved to different locations than you're used to which can affect performance (initially, at least). I haven't played any games yet that make good use of the thumbstick.

I imagine there's nothing I can do about the typing issues (there's just no way to avoid putting the hand back on the keyboard if I have to type a message fast, which blows...I failed to anticipate this), but I guess I'm just looking for a little assurance that my experiences with it will improve or be better with other types of games. Naturally, if I've just wasted my money I reserve the right to just return the thing. I've only had it for 2 days though, so I'd rather be sold and happy with it than return it.

JayDub

7950 Gigabyte

So Im about to go pick up the parts, and based on posts on here Im highly considering just getting a 7950 and OC'ing that. The Gigabyte linked is the only one they have, and Im reading reports that it is voltage locked at 1.25v. How much more can I realistically OC the core and men to at stock voltage?

Stock core is at 1000mhz.

2San

Guys, can you all help me understand the point of a gaming keypad (gameboard) vs just a good keyboard?
I have a (belkin) n52te, with your thumb dedicated to WASD movement it frees up 4 fingers for pressing skills. It's uses are mainly for MMO's imo. I use one in combination with a Razer Naga.

Lemonte

Damn. Looks like I need to upgrade my pc soon. Things are starting to fall apart. My second HDD broke 6months ago Now my one and only HDD is starting to show symptoms of dying. I wouldn't be surprised if my graphics card would say bye bye soon too. Well, what can you expect for nearly 4 years old system.

mkenyon

Banned
7950 Gigabyte

So Im about to go pick up the parts, and based on posts on here Im highly considering just getting a 7950 and OC'ing that. The Gigabyte linked is the only one they have, and Im reading reports that it is voltage locked at 1.25v. How much more can I realistically OC the core and men to at stock voltage?

Stock core is at 1000mhz.
Entirely depends on chip lottery.

iavi

Do you recommend I go for the 7950s instead of the 670...despite this? Is 1.25v good enough for a good OC (if I get a good chip)?

1.25 is more than enough. On my sapphire 7950 I'm able to do a stable clock of 1200 on the gpu/1350mem with a vol level of 1.175.

Mine came from the factory with a voltage of 1.125, so that's a small bump and nowhere near the voltage yours would be pushing.

Noaloha

Are there, um, I don't know how to describe it, are 'distinguishable' keys, in the locating sense, a thing? Something along the lines of keys specifically for WASD that have a different textured surface, or quaint rubber lips or whatever. I've seen plenty of examples of replacement coloured keys for WASD and whatnot, but pfft at those.

Or, another way of asking, say I wanted to get a new keyboard, mechanical, BUT, my left hand gets lost a lot when moving around keyboards and I want one that tells my sense of touch yes, that's right, those are the WASD keys! without my body having to involve any eyeballs and stuff --- do such cripple-aids exist?

mkenyon

Banned
To expand a bit.

They are really intended for MMO players. You bought one with membrane switches and tech that is from 6 years ago though. It hasn't aged very well. I can see the appeal of the new Razer one that at least has mechanical switches, but even then, it's only really great for MMOs or people who entirely game with voice chat.

The main appeal is being able to have your arms in a much more comfortable position as well as increase the area which you can use your mouse. Pro gamers use low CPI/sens, so more space is always a good thing. But, all of that is easily achievable with a good tenkeyless keyboard. Go with mechanical switches and PS/2 for full NKRO and an interrupt signal rather than fighting with other USB devices for polling rate which can negatively affect frames and cause input issues.
Are there, um, I don't know how to describe it, are 'distinguishable' keys, in the locating sense, a thing? Something along the lines of keys specifically for WASD that have a different textured surface, or quaint rubber lips or whatever. I've seen plenty of examples of replacement coloured keys for WASD and whatnot, but pfft at those.

Or, another way of asking, say I wanted to get a new keyboard, mechanical, BUT, my left hand gets lost a lot when moving around keyboards and I want one that tells my sense of touch yes, that's right, those are the WASD keys! without my body having to involve any eyeballs and stuff --- do such cripple-aids exist?
Start looking at customized Cherry MX Key Caps. Lots of stuff out there to customize any Cherry MX board to exactly what you want.
Nice to know. My first order with them is going to be my case since they are the only ones that seem to have a Prodigy (black or white) in stock.

Yes I finally made my mind up about which case I'm using! :D
http://www.performance-pcs.com/cata...03_970&zenid=7f74b325063b590ae38bb09f084dd61e

Have you disabled the hibernation file and shrunk your page file and recycle bin size for that drive?

Yes, yes, and yes. I've also disabled system restore, drive indexing, and Prefetch/Superfetch. I did just now disable Windows Search through Services.msc though I don't think that'll make a big impact.

Your advice is appreciated though!

Anton668

well, learned something today. one can install a win upgrade on top of itself to use itself as the prior installed copy of win.

Noaloha

Sweet, they exist. I asked here because I (as you can tell) I was baffled by what to start searching for. 'Rubber keys' had me reading about novelty pianos, etc etc.

And another question: my Sabertooth Z77 has no PS/2 port on it. I never even considered this until just now, reading the post above.

Considering I was looking forward to full NKRO, am I screwed?

xptoxyz

Okay, I think we've settled on a 660 Ti.

Can someone enlighten me on the gigantic variations of these even within manufacturer? Which is know to have the best cooling, silence, performance?

Brands available where we are seem to pretty much be EVGA, ASUS, GIGABYTE and some MSI. I like that Gigabyte has an open case design, but heard sometimes have bad coolers? This is the kind of stuff I need to know.

Within brands, are things like EVGA, between the 660 Ti, 660Ti SC, FTW, and all those god damn names, are they really only overclocking them, or sticking better coolers there?

Varg

Banned
The Stealers avatar prevents me from helping.

Hawks fan. But make sure you reseat everything and ensure that the card is in the proper PCI-E slot which your motherboard manual specifies. Also make sure that PCI-E slot isn't disabled in BIOS. Finally, make sure all of the power connections are seated properly on the card, as well as on the PSU if it is modular.

Use it as a file download location where you unzip things to. That'll keep your new primary drive shiny and healthy. Or, use it as a dedicated OS installation SSD. You can get a Zalman USB enclosure that you can select which ISO you want to mount even.

Looks like I had the card in the wrong pcie slot but now I don't have any video. Just gonna take a break from this mess, clear my head.

System is shutting off randomly now too. Fuck this .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom