• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 1. Haswell, Crysis 3, and secret fairy sauce. Read da OP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Akai__

Just spent the last hour at work researching watercooling. Man, it's a lot of work.

It really is. It's really hard for me to visualize, how everything will work out. I wish there was an app, where you can choose from a list of components and see how it will look.

Zeth

I'm guessing they're relevant for the 680 as well? I don't want to uninstall Afterburner to use PrecisionX :( Has Afterburner improved at all? I'm thinking it might be fine for my use; I don't want to increase voltage much if at all.

Arctic Cooling F12. You're welcome :p

I have an R4 with just the stock fans at the moment(212 EVO on 3570k). Would adding a few case fans do any kind of noticeable cooling vs the noise they add? Windowless if that matters, though the F12 looks nice.

mkenyon

Banned
It really is. It's really hard for me to visualize, how everything will work out. I wish there was an app, where you can choose from a list of components and see how it will look.
Google Sketchup.
Those...are actually nice. Would look good in an R4 too.
Are the f14s good too? I want a few 140mm as well.

Thanks.
Avoid 140mm fans. There isn't a very large market for 140mm fans, 120mm is still the gold standard. As a result, most manufacturers plan their fans around 120mm. They then take this same design and just make it bigger. This throws off all sorts of tiny things and leads to louder fans that move less air at similar dB levels.

The only companies that actually develop the 140mm totally separately are Noctua and Noiseblocker.

BraXzy

Ugh it's so difficult deciding on a monitor :/

Can't decide whether to pick 24" or 27", I don't know which of the many models and brands to choose from..

Decisions decisions :(

Ugh it's so difficult deciding on a monitor :/

Can't decide whether to pick 24" or 27", I don't know which of the many models and brands to choose from..

Decisions decisions :(

The OP can help you out with recommendations varying from the types (ips, 120hz, etc), brands and price ranges.

From there you can try to decide.

Salaadin

Avoid 140mm fans. There isn't a very large market for 140mm fans, 120mm is still the gold standard. As a result, most manufacturers plan their fans around 120mm. They then take this same design and just make it bigger. This throws off all sorts of tiny things and leads to louder fans that move less air at similar dB levels.

The only companies that actually develop the 140mm totally separately are Noctua and Noiseblocker.

Ahhh ok. Thanks.

Would you actually recommend ditching the included 140mms that came with the R4 and swap them for 120mms?

I'm thinking of doing a 4 fan setup. 2 front, 1 rear exhaust, and another somewhere else....side (if cpu cooler i decide on allows it) or top.

mkenyon

Banned
I'm guessing they're relevant for the 680 as well? I don't want to uninstall Afterburner to use PrecisionX :( Has Afterburner improved at all? I'm thinking it might be fine for my use; I don't want to increase voltage much if at all.

I have an R4 with just the stock fans at the moment(212 EVO on 3570k). Would adding a few case fans do any kind of noticeable cooling vs the noise they add? Windowless if that matters, though the F12 looks nice.
GPU overclocking is really really simple with Kepler, due to how locked down they are.

For stress testing - do two loops of Uniengine Heaven for quick checks, then 30 min or longer once you have settled to ensure full stability.

1) Increase clock offset until unstable.
2) Dial back to last known stable offset.
3) Increase memory offset until unstable.
4) Dial back to last known stable memory offset.
5) Ensure the card stays below 70C during stress testing, as that is the point they will dynamically adjust voltage and offset to maintain lower temps.

Only add more fans if you are currently experiencing trouble with temps. Otherwise there really isn't any point.

M3d10n

I'd like to replace my HD 4850 with something that has similar power requirements (aka: my PSU has only one GPU plug, I just replaced it and I'm not buying a new and bigger PSU). Is there any NVidia GPU between the 650 and the 660? There's a vast performance gulf between them and the 660 seems a bit too power hungry and hot for my tastes. The HD 7850 seems to fit like a glove on my requirements, but I'd like to try the green camp this time, if possible.

kennah

It can seem so at first, but it's actually really easy. Kind of like building PCs. It's all about understanding the jargon.

I think the #1 issue is the disjointed nature of the information regarding it. I had to basically scour forums and Martin's Liquid Lab for about a year before I finally put it all together. If you have any questions, please do feel free to ask.

http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=256087

Ok, so this guy did pretty much exactly what I'm going to be trying to do, but with a different video card. Nice to know that there is a reservoir small enough to fit above 2x3.5" hard drives. I don't think I'd like to go as extreme as he did dremelling out the front, but I like how there is a small rad on the back and one large on the top. Pretty tight, but possible!

Erebus

So my PSU broke down today after a power surge. It was 750W but I think I can go for a better brand and lower watts this time. My current rig is a Quad Core Q9550 paired with a GTX 460 1GB. Would I be OK with something like 550-600W? Also if I decide to upgrade to Haswell later this year, will a PSU of this range suffice?

kennah

So my PSU broke down today after a power surge. It was 750W but I think I can go for a better brand and lower watts this time. My current rig is a Quad Core Q9550 paired with a GTX 460 1GB. Would I be OK with something like 550-600W? Also if I decide to upgrade to Haswell later this year, will a PSU of this range suffice?

You'd be fine. Haswell will use way less power than that setup.

mkenyon

Banned
http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=256087

Ok, so this guy did pretty much exactly what I'm going to be trying to do, but with a different video card. Nice to know that there is a reservoir small enough to fit above 2x3.5" hard drives. I don't think I'd like to go as extreme as he did dremelling out the front, but I like how there is a small rad on the back and one large on the top. Pretty tight, but possible!
That looks like a nightmare to plumb. My hand aches looking at it.
As said above, both are great. Can't go wrong.

mkenyon

Banned
Oh, also to throw a major wrench in your WC planning, the EK 670 block only has inlets/outlets on the acrylic side of the block, which means that the fittings might actually interfere with the top rad.

mr2xxx

Banned
I'd like to replace my HD 4850 with something that has similar power requirements (aka: my PSU has only one GPU plug, I just replaced it and I'm not buying a new and bigger PSU). Is there any NVidia GPU between the 650 and the 660? There's a vast performance gulf between them and the 660 seems a bit too power hungry and hot for my tastes. The HD 7850 seems to fit like a glove on my requirements, but I'd like to try the green camp this time, if possible.

650 -> 650 Ti -> 660 -> 660 Ti

Thanks, that's what I assumed. Generally speaking what are some reliable PSU brands? Is Corsair still considered good?

the rank seem to be

Seasonic
Brands that use Seasonic inside (XFX 550 Core, some of the Corsairs)
Antec BP550 plus

They are also mentioned in the OP so check it out.

darthbob

Thanks, that's what I assumed. Generally speaking what are some reliable PSU brands? Is Corsair still considered good?

Seasonic and PC P&C use the same parts IIRC. I can't recommend Seasonic enough.

Corsair and Antec are excellent as well. I for one use a Corsair HX650 in my rig.

NoRéN

Buying case fans is harder than it seems. Find something good, its ugly. Find something nice, its not as good.

This reminded me.

Gonna have to not recommend these.
BitFenix Spectre Pro 120mm Fan LED Series

Bought 2. Both started making a noise as if the blades were hitting something 30 days in. Luckily amazon took them back and refunded me.

They were recommended to me so I doubt they are all bad. But I will definitely have to give these from that specific seller a thumbs down.

Currently waiting on these to arrive:
Corsair Air Series AF120 Quiet Edition Twin Pack Fan

Are the performance ones that much louder?

mkenyon

Banned
Seasonic and PC P&C use the same parts IIRC. I can't recommend Seasonic enough.

Corsair and Antec are excellent as well. I for one use a Corsair HX650 in my rig.
They're owned by OCZ and use Sirtec. Only the Silencer 760 and 910 are based on Seasonic internals, but are pushed beyond anything that Seasonic offers themselves as it is on the S12 line.
NoRéN;47687988 said:
This reminded me.

Gonna have to not recommend these.
BitFenix Spectre Pro 120mm Fan LED Series

Bought 2. Both started making a noise as if the blades were hitting something 30 days in. Luckily amazon took them back and refunded me.

They were recommended to me so I doubt they are all bad. But I will definitely have to give these from that specific seller a thumbs down.

Currently waiting on these to arrive:
Corsair Air Series AF120 Quiet Edition Twin Pack Fan

Are the performance ones that much louder?
Did you have them plugged straight into power? A lot of LED fans can make that kind of tick-tick-tick noise when they are being controlled by the motherboard or any voltage regulator device. That's why I recommend the non LED Spectre Pros.

Yes, the performance ones are much louder.

Rokam

Not sure if it's alright to ask this here, didn't want to create a new thread. My brother is in need of a wireless router as well as a wireless network card. They have one wireless router now but the range on it is terrible. Him and his family live in the basement at my grandma's and if they go upstairs they're unable to get internet. And they're going to be adding my grandma to their service and her computer is up stairs as well.

So what I'm looking for is suggestions for a cheapish router and network card. I don't really know much about either as far as what brands to buy. Don't think he'd be willing to spend over $100 for both. He'll have about 3-4 computers using the internet.

Should be getting my gigabyte 7950 by weeks end. Can't wait.

My first mechanical keyboard should be coming soon too. Will finally see what the hype is about

NoRéN

Did you have them plugged straight into power? A lot of LED fans can make that kind of tick-tick-tick noise when they are being controlled by the motherboard or any voltage regulator device. That's why I recommend the non LED Spectre Pros.

Yes, the performance ones are much louder.

Yeah, they were connected directly to power. It was strange. One was connected via molex on the side panel. The other through a 3 to 4 pin connector as a front intake.

What I noticed was strange was that despite being listed as "new", the packages had been opened. The box included a note from the seller stating that they had included a 4 pin adapter for lower voltage operation which would make the fan quieter. The 4 pin adapter only had one pin removed. I didn't like the fact that it was technically opened but decided to trust them anyway.

That's why I'm mostly not recommending those fans from amazon since they are only available through a specific seller.

Cool, I'll stick with the quiet AFs then.

NoRéN

Not sure if it's alright to ask this here, didn't want to create a new thread. My brother is in need of a wireless router as well as a wireless network card. They have one wireless router now but the range on it is terrible. Him and his family live in the basement at my grandma's and if they go upstairs they're unable to get internet. And they're going to be adding my grandma to their service and her computer is up stairs as well.

So what I'm looking for is suggestions for a cheapish router and network card. I don't really know much about either as far as what brands to buy. Don't think he'd be willing to spend over $100 for both. He'll have about 3-4 computers using the internet.

I got this refurbished router over a year ago and it's been great. Good performance for the price range.
Cisco Linksys E2500 Advanced Simultaneous Dual-Band Wireless-N Router

http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX43835

This has both, seems like it would suit his needs.

I'm thinking of doing an upgrade once the Haswell CPUs arrive, is it worth jumping on that immediately? I was just wondering how quickly these things begin to go on sale once they are out.

What do you have currently?
A pre-SandyBridge i5 on an Gigabyte GA-P55-UD3 motherboard.
Speaking of which, it claims to have USB3 support but lacks any of the right pin connections for my front panel and doesn't have any of the correct connections at the back either. How does that work or do I need some sort of adapter?

kennah

A pre-SandyBridge i5 on an Gigabyte GA-P55-UD3 motherboard.
Speaking of which, it claims to have USB3 support but lacks any of the right pin connections for my front panel and doesn't have any of the correct connections at the back either. How does that work or do I need some sort of adapter?
Nothing in the specs saying usb 3 for that board. Haswell would likely be a nice upgrade

M.Bluth

Anyone recommends a SATA power extension cable of sorts?

I'd like to use one cable [for optimum cable management] coming out of my PSU to hook up both hard drives as well as the DVD drive, but the power cable is a little short of reaching the drive at the top :/

I've looked around and thought about this one, but I don't really need that many connectors, and $11 seems a bit much for something that I won't use fully. The rest are mostly multi-color and I prefer to use black cables for better consistency inside the case :)

Nothing in the specs saying usb 3 for that board. Haswell would likely be a nice upgrade
Oh, you know what I've been stupidly looking at this whole time?
GA-P55A-UD3 :/
Yeah undoubtedly Haswell is going to be better, and I'm going to need a new motherboard for that so I can finally upgrade there too. The USB3 ports on my R4 are going to waste right now. But really I was more concerned about the pricing and whether it's worth jumping straight in on these things or waiting for the prices to go down a bit. Seems like price doesn't really go down?

Anton668

so, the idiots got me a copy of win 7 upgrade instead of the full version.

if I find a old copy of XP laying about I can install it, not activate, and install the upgrade ontop of it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom