• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 1. Haswell, Crysis 3, and secret fairy sauce. Read da OP

Status
Not open for further replies.

angelfly

Use 7/16x5/8" tubing for 1/2" barbs.

*edit*

You'll also want a host of angle adapters once you plan your loop.

*edit 2*

Wait, you aren't putting your cards under water?

Ivy under water is kind of pointless unless you delid it. Have you considered adding the 680s to the loop?

The Seasonic 1000 is huge overkill too. You could run that on a 650W PSU.

Didn't know it would work with the larger barbs. I'll switch to the 7/16 ID then to get a tighter fit. I'll grab some angle adapters after I've fully thought out how I'm going to put everything in the case. Also I wasn't sure of the PSU (originally had 860w) since I planned to OC the cards and CPU. As for cooling the cards I'm gonna grab blocks for those later.

mkenyon

Banned
@Anglefly

A few more things.

1) You'll need at least 6 fittings. 2 for radiator, 2 for block, 2 for bay/res.

2) You'll want 1 90 degree, and probably 3 45 degree fittings. 90 is for the res/pump to the rad directly above it. 45 is for rad->CPU (one for each), and then a second 45 on the CPU for the CPU->res/pump connection.

3) Contemplate the single D5 bay res, the one that is all black delrin. The one you have selected is for dual D5 pumps.

4) Push pull with GT's on that radiator won't make a very big difference. It's very low FPI (fins per inch) so there isn't a ton of resistance. The reason why you go with push pull on radiators is if you want to run your fans at super low speeds. The speed and pressure at which those GT's operate is already maxing out the XT45's effectiveness. To give you an idea, you are looking at 300W of dissipation on a 60-100W CPU (taking into account an OC) with a just GT's in push.

*edit* This is the bay/res that I'm talking about. One of the best designs for high pressure D5 action, much better than the standard D5 pump top.

*edit 2*

Also, since you are seemingly gravitating towards XSPC parts anyway, then consider getting one of the kits. They're insanely good value, to the point that they can shave off $100+ of a total purchase.

http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=59_202_972

angelfly

@Anglefly

A few more things.

1) You'll need at least 6 fittings. 2 for radiator, 2 for block, 2 for bay/res.

The 2 fittings in the cart are for the radiators since the block and res gave me the option to add fitting when I added them to the cart.
2) You'll want 1 90 degree, and probably 3 45 degree fittings. 90 is for the res/pump to the rad directly above it. 45 is for rad->CPU (one for each), and then a second 45 on the CPU for the CPU->res/pump connection.

3) Contemplate the single D5 bay res, the one that is all black delrin. The one you have selected is for dual D5 pumps.
The res in the cart is actually just a straight reservoir as I planned to have the pump as it's own part of the loop. But it would make more sense to use a combo to keep the tubing short. I'll take try and use the angle fittings like you described. But I'll have to make adjustments as the switch won't allow for the fitting to be in the front of the case due to the drive cage.
4) Push pull with GT's on that radiator won't make a very big difference. It's very low FPI (fins per inch) so there isn't a ton of resistance. The reason why you go with push pull on radiators is if you want to run your fans at super low speeds. The speed and pressure at which those GT's operate is already maxing out the XT45's effectiveness. To give you an idea, you are looking at 300W of dissipation on a 60-100W CPU (taking into account an OC) with a just GT's in push.
Thanks, I'll stick to just push.
Also, since you are seemingly gravitating towards XSPC parts anyway, then consider getting one of the kits. They're insanely good value, to the point that they can shave off $100+ of a total purchase.
I was originally going to just go with the raystorm kit but this being my first loop I did a lot of reading on several forums and heard a few complaints about quality of the tubing and pumps which kind of scared me off it.

mkenyon

Banned
For aesthetics and for video cards, yeah. Not really worth it for CPUs for the most part. If you are always in your PC fidgeting with stuff, not having a giant heatsink in there can be extremely helpful.

@Angelfly

Ah yes. I always suggest going for a combo res/pump if possible to help tidy things up. You can also do things like mount a tube reservoir directly to a D5 pump top like this.

The critique of tubing is valid, but 20' of Duralene can be had from Sidewinder PC's for like $8 (best tubing). The XSPC pump hate is strange, considering every pump out there is pretty much a straight Lanig or Swiftech with a new sticker on it. Silly.

angelfly

For aesthetics and for video cards, yeah. Not really worth it for CPUs for the most part. If you are always in your PC fidgeting with stuff, not having a giant heatsink in there can be extremely helpful.

@Angelfly

Ah yes. I always suggest going for a combo res/pump if possible to help tidy things up. You can also do things like mount a tube reservoir directly to a D5 pump top like this.

The critique of tubing is valid, but 20' of Duralene can be had from Sidewinder PC's for like $8 (best tubing). The XSPC pump hate is strange, considering every pump out there is pretty much a straight Lanig or Swiftech with a new sticker on it. Silly.

Thanks

glad I stopped by this thread before ordering anything.

mkenyon

Banned
Anyone Pac NW local want my BitFenix Shinobi XL?

Just the case, of course. Fairly modded to improve airflow, lots of space for radiators.

EY0Jdh.jpg

This is free.

Irobot82

Anyone Pac NW local want my BitFenix Shinobi XL?

Just the case, of course. Fairly modded to improve airflow, lots of space for radiators.

This is free.

A. What did you move on to?

B. Can we see it.

C. Thank you and we bow down to your awesomeness.

Irobot82

well, learned something today. one can install a win upgrade on top of itself to use itself as the prior installed copy of win.

Which version of Windows? I knew it worked with Vista but I didn't know if it worked with Win 8. I ended up installing Vista, not registering it, then installing Win 8. Wish I did it another way but I really don't want to start from scratch.

Anton668

Which version of Windows? I knew it worked with Vista but I didn't know if it worked with Win 8. I ended up installing Vista, not registering it, then installing Win 8. Wish I did it another way but I really don't want to start from scratch.

Win 7 - bare drive

mkenyon

Banned
I'm not a huge fan of those, I think the aggressive fascia kind of eliminates a lot of the charm of the Prodigy. Totally subjective though.
I need to go change my pants.

Have you ever thought of doing a oil submerged design?
Not a big fan of that stuff. It makes the maintenance on a WC build seem like a walk in the park. I tinker way too much.

Pandemic

If you want to keep the PC for years wait 4 months for Haswell if possible. Otherwise a custom 3930K build will certainly do.
Should have better SSD and Monitor options as well. And you can buy GeForce Titan (Hopefully).

Trash PC for the price.

Hmmm, so many difficult choices haha. What is Haswell? Appreciate the response.

Dave_6

I'm not a huge fan of those, I think the aggressive fascia kind of eliminates a lot of the charm of the Prodigy. Totally subjective though.

I made my mind up after I posted that I will be getting a stock one. No way I need to spend ~$180 on just a case.

Hey Neogaf,

I'm purchasing a desktop from iBuyPower, here are the specs.
Price is $1569.

Where can I find an affordable copy of Windows 8?

Gamer Paladin E810
1 x Case ( AZZA Solaris Gaming Case - Black )
0 x Case Lighting ( None )
0 x iBUYPOWER Labs - Noise Reduction ( None )
0 x iBUYPOWER Labs - Internal Expansion ( None )
1 x Processor ( Intel® Core™ i7-3770K Processor (4x 3.50GHz/8MB L3 Cache) - Intel Core i7-3770K )
0 x iBUYPOWER PowerDrive ( None )
1 x Processor Cooling ( Liquid CPU Cooling System [SOCKET-1155] - Standard 120mm Fan )
1 x Memory ( 8 GB [4 GB X2] DDR3-1600 Memory Module - Corsair or Major Brand )
1 x Video Card ( NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 - 2GB - EVGA Superclocked - Core: 1058MHz - Single Card )
1 x Video Card Brand ( Major Brand Powered by AMD or NVIDIA )
0 x Free Headset ( None )
1 x Motherboard ( ASUS P8Z77-V LX )
0 x Intel Smart Response Technology ( None )
1 x Power Supply ( 650 Watt - Corsair CMPSU-650TXV2 - Free Upgrade to 750 Watt Corsair CMPSU-750TXV2 ($20 Savings) )
1 x Primary Hard Drive ( 500 GB HARD DRIVE -- 16M Cache, 7200 RPM, 6.0Gb/s - Single Drive )
0 x Data Hard Drive ( None )
1 x Optical Drive ( 24X Dual Format/Double Layer DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW Drive - Orange )
0 x 2nd Optical Drive ( None )
1 x Flash Media Reader / Writer ( 12-In-1 Internal Flash Media Card Reader/Writer - Black )
0 x Meter Display ( None )
1 x Sound Card ( 3D Premium Surround Sound Onboard )
1 x Network Card ( Intel Pro 10/100/1000 Network Card )
1 x Operating System ( None- Pre-formatted Hard Drive Only )
1 x Keyboard ( iBUYPOWER Standard Gaming Keyboard )
0 x Monitor ( None )
0 x 2nd Monitor ( None )
0 x Speaker System ( None )
0 x Video Camera ( None )
0 x Case Engraving Service ( None )
1 x Warranty ( 3 Year Standard Warranty Service )
1 x Rush Service ( Rush Service Fee (not shipping fee) - No Rush Service, Estimate Ship Out in 5~10 Business Days )

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Hmmm, so many difficult choices haha. What is Haswell? Appreciate the response.
Intel's next CPU generation
I need to go change my pants.

Have you ever thought of doing a oil submerged design?
Overrated
Hey Neogaf,

Price is $1569.

You are overpaying by a few hundred and if you assemble it yourself you'll be able to troubleshoot, upgrade, and all your parts will have over 3 year warranties on them (sans HDD).

You can see some of the build videos in the OP. It's not magic. Stuff goes in slots.

As for Win 8. Something about $40 upgrade / student editions. I'm not positive. Personally would use 7.

Hey Neogaf,

Price is $1569.

You could probably save ~$600 or more if you built it yourself. But if you'd rather just have a working powerful machine and don't want to bother the specs look fine. As for Windows 8, I remember seeing some Windows 8 upgrade deal for $15 a while back, I don't know if that's still going on though.
Just checked. Here it is: http://www.windowsupgradeoffer.com/en-US. Not sure if that still works though. Supposedly you could fill out the form with anything as long as the purchase date was after June

Touch

I'm looking for some 120mm case fans (3 exactly) that have good air flow, quiet and are on the cheaper side. Anyone got any recommendations? I don't need any fancy lights.

Arsenic

So I have a new 256gb SSD arriving tomorrow which is set to replace my current 64gb SSD. A couple of questions..

1) this ssd (samsung 840 non-pro) comes with software that migrates data from an old drive to this new one. Is it possible to do this with an OS already installed on the old drive?

2) should i ever bother with replacing the old drive? Are there any advantages (besides convenience) to just using the new drive in addition to my old one?

I also have a 1tb hdd i use for normal storage.

Thanks!

So I built my PC in June and I'm planning to move to the UK (from Australia) for a couple of years so I'm selling my current build. I just had a look at prices in the UK (checked out a gtx670 to compare) and they seem really high. I thought Aussie PC components were expensive, but the prices for the gigabyte 670 for example come to about $460 whereas you can get one for about $400 here. I'm wondering if I should just take my PC with me, I really didn't want to though.

iavi

To all the new builders: if you ever want to justify your expensive build, just go run Unigine's new Valley benchmark. Nvidia users use 3d vision if you have a screen that supports it. At 1080p, or higher, hell, for all you Crossfire/SLI peeps.

Tech hasn't made me cheese so hard in a while. I'm ready for the next gen.

Hawk269

All I can say at this point is:

Rampage IV Gene
Aluminum Chassis
Subdued styling
Titan

Everything else is up in the air.

So you are set to go with a Titan or are you getting 2 of them? I am not sure until I see some benches and the final "official" price. The thing for me is that if I get a Titan or 2 of them, I want them to be underwater almost immediately, but who knows how long it will be until Waterblocks are available. I may just get them and sit on them until Waterblocks come out or pass. Not sure! lol

With what we now know about the likely specs of the new consoles,

Would I be safe with a ~$1200 machine for the next 4 years? I don't expect to run everything at 60 FPS that whole time, but I would want to basically have it be my console replacement until the consoles have become niiiiice and cheap.

Smokey

My current headphones that I've been using for a few years are the Sennheiser 428s. I love these headphones. I have a pair of Corsairs, Sonys, and others and they clearly sound and fit the best. So since I got the DGX sound card not too long ago I figured I might as well get appropriate headphones/headset and after doing some digging and looking around, I heard about these. They're really hard to get at the moment but NewEgg Auto-Notify came through earlier this week and I scooped them up...

Holy crap

There's a CD that you use to install the drivers and once they are on the machine you can switch from 2CH, 4CH, 5.1, and 7.1 on the fly. There's also this USB sound card that is included:

(bad pic was trying to capture the light with no flash on my phone)

Plug the headphones into here and you can slide the cover up or down to activate the surround sound. When it's lit up like it is above, that indicates that the surround function is on. These are godly :eek:. The directional sound on the phones rare incredible. I'm sure if you've tried surround sound phones before you know what it sounds like but these sound very crisp, very clear, and do a really good job of giving you an immersive feeling. Perfect amount of bass (which is one area I liked about my 428s) and really opens up BF3 with all the audio that typically goes on in a MP match.

The construction is top notch. The ear cushions are velvet and completely engulf your ears. Really comfortable material. The mic is also really clear with minimum background noise present when I did a test earlier. It auto mutes whenever you raise the arm up as well which is a cool feature.

I'm really excited to break these in and see how much they improve. Not gonna lie they are very expensive ($300)...but man the craftsmanship and sound that these produce are incredible. I guess they damn well should be for that price though.

Smokey

With what we now know about the likely specs of the new consoles,

Would I be safe with a ~$1200 machine for the next 4 years? I don't expect to run everything at 60 FPS that whole time, but I would want to basically have it be my console replacement until the consoles have become niiiiice and cheap.

Depends on what that $1200 machine consists of. If you look at the machine in the OP the Excellent and Enthusiast builds are the closest to that price range. I feel confident in saying either of those machines could last you a good 4 years especially if you don't care about running things at 60fps..

Depends on what that $1200 machine consists of. If you look at the machine in the OP the Excellent and Enthusiast builds are the closest to that price range. I feel confident in saying either of those machines could last you a good 4 years especially if you don't care about running things at 60fps..

Yup, Im definitely looking to build in the "excellent" range.
I just want games to run at least as well as on consoles, which lets face it, will mostly run at 30 fps.

I'm hoping to breeze through the early inter-gen stuff like Watchdogs and make it to at least mid-gen when the real powerhouses and their PC ports start to come out. I'd like to easily run stuff on the level of Agni's philosophy, 1313, Samaritan and full fledged UE4 games.

Will a 7970 or 680 take me that far into next gen, or should I wait for the next cards?

I know there are no real answers to these questions without a crystal ball, without but I enjoy the speculation :)

Smokey

I just want games to run at least as well as on consoles, which lets face it, will mostly run at 30 fps.

I'm hoping to breeze through the early inter-gen stuff like Watchdogs and make it to at least mid-gen when the real powerhouses and their PC ports start to come out. I'd like to easily run stuff on the level of Agni's philosophy, 1313, Samaritan and full fledged UE4 games.

Will a 7970 or 680 take me that far into next gen, or should I wait for the next cards?

I know there are no real answers to these questions without a crystal ball, without but I enjoy the speculation :)

The 680 and 7970 are more powerful than the graphics cards in next gen. You'll be fine especially since you don't care about 60fps. These Intel CPUs are also way ahead of the curve when it comes to gaming. They'll be good for years.

The next batch of cards, save for Geforce Titan in a few days, aren't supposed to release until sometime in 2014.

El_Chino

Hey guys, newcomer here. I was just wondering are they any good PC building tutorial videos? It's been about 7 years since I last built a pc and I've been thinking about getting into it again.

Smokey

Hey guys, newcomer here. I was just wondering are they any good PC building tutorial videos? It's been about 7 years since I last built a pc and I've been thinking about getting into it again.

There are some in the OP under "Putting it all together".

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim

Absolutely. The power differences between generations are slowing way down.

Enthusiast Build
$60 case
BP550 or other power supply

Puts you close to budget.
*facepalm* Thanks! I missed that.
Perils of not shoving it into one post sadly.

This is really sad... I have a 3770K OCed to 4.6ghz and a GTX690 and I still can't run Hawken at High settings at 1600 x 1200 without dropping frames to 80 - 90 fps... (120hz or bust!) Need Titans SLI lololol

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
This is really sad... I have a 3770K OCed to 4.6ghz and a GTX690 and I still can't run Hawken at High settings at 1600 x 1200 without dropping frames to 80 - 90 fps... (120hz or bust!) Need Titans SLI lololol

What kind of vcore are you supplying the CPU? And also, is it offset of manual voltage?

What kind of vcore are you supplying the CPU? And also, is it offset of manual voltage?

This mind sound sadder still but I actually just used the Asus AI Suite to auto overclock the CPU. I know it's not the most efficient, but it works and I'm happy with it for now. When I get into the mood I'll properly learn how to to fiddle with the beast manually.

Momentary

Banned
My current headphones that I've been using for a few years are the Sennheiser 428s. I love these headphones. I have a pair of Corsairs, Sonys, and others and they clearly sound and fit the best. So since I got the DGX sound card not too long ago I figured I might as well get appropriate headphones/headset and after doing some digging and looking around, I heard about these. They're really hard to get at the moment but NewEgg Auto-Notify came through earlier this week and I scooped them up...

Holy crap

There's a CD that you use to install the drivers and once they are on the machine you can switch from 2CH, 4CH, 5.1, and 7.1 on the fly. There's also this USB sound card that is included:

Plug the headphones into here and you can slide the cover up or down to activate the surround sound. When it's lit up like it is above, that indicates that the surround function is on. These are godly :eek:. The directional sound on the phones rare incredible. I'm sure if you've tried surround sound phones before you know what it sounds like but these sound very crisp, very clear, and do a really good job of giving you an immersive feeling. Perfect amount of bass (which is one area I liked about my 428s) and really opens up BF3 with all the audio that typically goes on in a MP match.

The construction is top notch. The ear cushions are velvet and completely engulf your ears. Really comfortable material. The mic is also really clear with minimum background noise present when I did a test earlier. It auto mutes whenever you raise the arm up as well which is a cool feature.

I'm really excited to break these in and see how much they improve. Not gonna lie they are very expensive ($300)...but man the craftsmanship and sound that these produce are incredible. I guess they damn well should be for that price though.

Are these obtainable through US stores yet. I only see them on Amazon UK. Can I order from there? Wasn't really looking for a headset until I thought about how annoying it could get for my significant other with the speakers I'm purchasing.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
This mind sound sadder still but I actually just used the Asus AI Suite to auto overclock the CPU. I know it's not the most efficient, but it works and I'm happy with it for now. When I get into the mood I'll properly learn how to to fiddle with the beast manually.

The only reason I wouldn't use AI Suite is because the changes are done in the OS but don't take in the bios. I would remember some of the basic voltage settings or just spend an hour or two reading on OC'ing it and just doing basic things to get you to a 4.6ghz OC.

It's more important to try to get familiar with the ASUS UEFI now because it will be better for you to diagnose if you're not actually getting enough vcore to the CPU. And it's also nice to be able to just get around the bios without feeling intimidated.

The only thing I really don't like is that I can't really disable the AI Suite without uninstalling it. If I disable all the processes and take it out of my startup group, DIGI+ and some fan thing errors pop up during startup. I think I just may have to manually remove the program as I only use it for the sensor monitoring.

Zeth

Can I use my Windows 7 disc for a fresh install on my new SSD? And register it again? I don't know how the licencing works.

God damn it, missed out on $50 Planetside 2 money by 5 days. Nvidia now doing F2P money bundle.

Holy crap

What is your background with headphones? Can you compare them to any of the headphones made by Senn, Denon, AudioTechnica, or AIAIAI, etc?

I ask because I have yet to hear the headset that can compare in any way (quality, comfort, balance) to the best headphones in the same price range...and considering anyone can just buy a mod mic and create a headset with superior headphones at the core of the setup, I need to be convinced that purchasing a headset makes sense at all. Based on my experience with the Gamecom Commander, I'm of the opinion that all of these headsets fucking suck, and that everyone who wants one should do themselves a huge favor and find the best headphones they can afford, add a modmic to the setup and enjoy superior audio quality. Nothing was less immersive than the hollow, distant sounds that the $300 Commander provided. $100 cans offer much better sound, and consequently a much more immersive experience. I couldn't believe how bad music sounded either. I would have been offended if I was told they were $75 if the experience of listening to music was to be my reference to guess price. If the Commander is any indication into what is considered quality among headsets, down with headsets and long live the modmic.

The only reason I wouldn't use AI Suite is because the changes are done in the OS but don't take in the bios. I would remember some of the basic voltage settings or just spend an hour or two reading on OC'ing it and just doing basic things to get you to a 4.6ghz OC.

It's more important to try to get familiar with the ASUS UEFI now because it will be better for you to diagnose if you're not actually getting enough vcore to the CPU. And it's also nice to be able to just get around the bios without feeling intimidated.

The only thing I really don't like is that I can't really disable the AI Suite without uninstalling it. If I disable all the processes and take it out of my startup group, DIGI+ and some fan thing errors pop up during startup. I think I just may have to manually remove the program as I only use it for the sensor monitoring.

Thanks for the advice, will get on it!

XShagrath

This seems like the best place to ask about my problem. I built a machine late last year with some help from this thread (well, the previous iteration). I've been having problems with an error saying something like "nVidia display adapter has stopped responding and has recovered". This seems to primarily happen when coming back from idle, or sometimes when watching videos. I've never had it happen when actually playing a game.

I don't think it's a driver issue, because it's happened on numerous drivers, and sometimes it will randomly stop happening on a reboot and I can go for weeks without a problem and then it'll just start back up again and happen pretty consistently when coming back from the screensaver or whatnot.

Here's my system specs in case it's a hardware problem..

Biostar TZ77B mobo
i5-3470 (stock, no OC)
Antec EarthWatts Green 500W power supply
8GB G.SKILL RAM
GeForce GTX 560 (ASUS)

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Google hasn't really given me a reliable fix, just saying to reinstall drivers, which doesn't seem to help at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom