• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 1. Haswell, Crysis 3, and secret fairy sauce. Read da OP

Status
Not open for further replies.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
This seems like the best place to ask about my problem. I built a machine late last year with some help from this thread (well, the previous iteration). I've been having problems with an error saying something like "nVidia display adapter has stopped responding and has recovered". This seems to primarily happen when coming back from idle, or sometimes when watching videos. I've never had it happen when actually playing a game.

I don't think it's a driver issue, because it's happened on numerous drivers, and sometimes it will randomly stop happening on a reboot and I can go for weeks without a problem and then it'll just start back up again and happen pretty consistently when coming back from the screensaver or whatnot.

Here's my system specs in case it's a hardware problem..

Biostar TZ77B mobo
i5-3470 (stock, no OC)
Antec EarthWatts Green 500W power supply
8GB G.SKILL RAM
GeForce GTX 560 (ASUS)

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Google hasn't really given me a reliable fix, just saying to reinstall drivers, which doesn't seem to help at all.

What driver version on the GPU? Are you overclocking and how are temps? I would actually gauge real world temps after an hour of something like BF3. If you are OC'ing, make sure you manually override voltage control to give the GPU a little more power.

bro1

Banned
This seems like the best place to ask about my problem. I built a machine late last year with some help from this thread (well, the previous iteration). I've been having problems with an error saying something like "nVidia display adapter has stopped responding and has recovered". This seems to primarily happen when coming back from idle, or sometimes when watching videos. I've never had it happen when actually playing a game.

I don't think it's a driver issue, because it's happened on numerous drivers, and sometimes it will randomly stop happening on a reboot and I can go for weeks without a problem and then it'll just start back up again and happen pretty consistently when coming back from the screensaver or whatnot.

Here's my system specs in case it's a hardware problem..

Biostar TZ77B mobo
i5-3470 (stock, no OC)
Antec EarthWatts Green 500W power supply
8GB G.SKILL RAM
GeForce GTX 560 (ASUS)

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Google hasn't really given me a reliable fix, just saying to reinstall drivers, which doesn't seem to help at all.

When was the last time you did a reformat? Also, what type of hdd are you using?

bro1

Banned
What is your background with headphones? Can you compare them to any of the headphones made by Senn, Denon, AudioTechnica, or AIAIAI, etc?

I ask because I have yet to hear the headset that can compare in any way (quality, comfort, balance) to the best headphones in the same price range...and considering anyone can just buy a mod mic and create a headset with superior headphones at the core of the setup, I need to be convinced that purchasing a headset makes sense at all. Based on my experience with the Gamecom Commander, I'm of the opinion that all of these headsets fucking suck, and that everyone who wants one should do themselves a huge favor and find the best headphones they can afford, add a modmic to the setup and enjoy superior audio quality. Nothing was less immersive than the hollow, distant sounds that the $300 Commander provided. $100 cans offer much better sound, and consequently a much more immersive experience. I couldn't believe how bad music sounded either. I would have been offended if I was told they were $75 if the experience of listening to music was to be my reference to guess price. If the Commander is any indication into what is considered quality among headsets, down with headsets and long live the modmic.

I have a pair of Sennheisser 595 that I love. Going to install a sound card soon and can't wait to hear the difference from the onboard audio.

Going to unistall my stock heat sink today and install my Hyper 212EVO with the mobo in case. Wish me luck! I have a Sabertooth Z77 in a Corsair R300 so it shouldn't be too hard. Just worried about my Corsair Vengeance high profile ram in bay 2 and 4.

Talents

Banned
Woo, the graphics card just arrived, now I just have to wait for the actual computer. Gonna be a long week.
IMG_0138_1.jpg

LiquidMetal14

Woo, the graphics card just arrived, now I just have to wait for the actual computer. Gonna be a long week.
IMG_0138_1.jpg

The future is now. It feels damn good to get a good PC together. Feels even better to have a damn good PC and upgrade to an even more baller one like I just did :p

Varg

Banned
IMG_0138_1.jpg

Just put the same card in my pc yesterday. Was nervous because when I ordered it after reading lots of positive reviews, 3 negative doa ones popped up. I thought they were sending a bad batch but so far so good

XShagrath

What driver version on the GPU? Are you overclocking and how are temps? I would actually gauge real world temps after an hour of something like BF3. If you are OC'ing, make sure you manually override voltage control to give the GPU a little more power.
I'm not at home right now, so couldn't tell you my driver version. Are those different than the drivers you download from nvidia? If it's the nvidia drivers, this has happened on all drivers I've used since I built the system in November or so. I'm not doing any OC'ing at all, and I seem to remember temperatures being within normal realms after playing several hours of Sleeping Dogs and whatnot last year. I've also played Witcher (1) for like 5-6 hours straight with no crashes or any problems. It only seems to happen when coming back from the screensaver or just while browsing /w Chrome.

nerdy1 said:
When was the last time you did a reformat? Also, what type of hdd are you using?
I didn't reformat when I built my new machine, so it's probably been close to a year. I'm on a Sandisk 120GB SSD for the OS and stuff.

bro1

Banned
I'm not at home right now, so couldn't tell you my driver version. Are those different than the drivers you download from nvidia? If it's the nvidia drivers, this has happened on all drivers I've used since I built the system in November or so. I'm not doing any OC'ing at all, and I seem to remember temperatures being within normal realms after playing several hours of Sleeping Dogs and whatnot last year. I've also played Witcher (1) for like 5-6 hours straight with no crashes or any problems. It only seems to happen when coming back from the screensaver or just while browsing /w Chrome.

I didn't reformat when I built my new machine, so it's probably been close to a year. I'm on a Sandisk 120GB SSD for the OS and stuff.

so you migrated your HDD from one system to another? reformat!

Koroviev

Rebuilt my PC with the the R4, 3770K, and a Gigabyte Z77 motherboard. Well, I did that on Wednesday, but it doesn't boot yet (it gets to the Win8 logo, then the screen goes blank and nothing happens; this happened with my last motherboard + cpu upgrade). I'm fairly confident that I can get it working on my own, but I wouldn't mind learning of a quick fix. It does boot into safe mode, so it's probably just the usual new hardware driver issues. I didn't get home from work until 11PM last night, but I should finally have time to get my PC working later today!

I also noticed that the bios is reporting my CPU temp as ~95C, but the H60 is installed and the fan that cools the radiator is spinning just fine. I'm guessing I just connected a sensor improperly or something , but I haven't had time to really troubleshoot any of these issues.

And as someone said a few weeks ago... Fractal Designs are the god kings of casedom. I'm actually impressed that you can get such a nice, quality case for under $100.

Mogwai

I recently upgraded my PC to a 3570K/HD7970 setup and so far it runs nice. However, there's some annoying coil whine when the FPS reaches over 1000+ in game menus and such. I've been researching a little on the topic, and some people claim that you can "break in" the GPU by letting it use that certain scenario with coil whine over longer periods. Is there any truth to this theory?

Iorv3th

I also noticed that the bios is reporting my CPU temp as ~95C, but the H60 is installed and the fan that cools the radiator is spinning just fine. I'm guessing I just connected a sensor improperly or something , but I haven't had time to really troubleshoot any of these issues.

Well if your temperature is getting too warm your PC will turn itself off in order to keep it from frying. Although that wouldn't make sense that it would boot in safe mood but not normally.

You have the cooler seated properly and firmly? How about the thermal paste job?

Zeth

Great, thanks for the link. I'll go with this method, haven't been able to figure out what to do myself.

Looks like my next major upgrade would be a second Twin Frozr 680 for SLI and a beefier PSU. Probably not until later this year, and then I'll take into consideration what's going on at the time. A single Titan might be more efficient at that point. Feels good to be a PC gamer!

hwalker84

Damn Corsair H100i has gotten extremely loud. The 1.0.5 firmware which was supposed to fix the issue has been removed from their website because it was bricking the cooler.

LiquidMetal14

It could be several things but first and foremost, reformat and start from scratch. You likely have a lot of built up clutter in your registry and just plan redundant data for the newer PC the SSD is housed in.

XShagrath

It could be several things but first and foremost, reformat and start from scratch. You likely have a lot of built up clutter in your registry and just plan redundant data for the newer PC the SSD is housed in.
You're probably right. I'll try to do a reformat when I have some time. Hate having to reinstall a bunch of program though. Ugh!

Rebuilt my PC with the the R4, 3770K, and a Gigabyte Z77 motherboard. Well, I did that on Wednesday, but it doesn't boot yet (it gets to the Win8 logo, then the screen goes blank and nothing happens; this happened with my last motherboard + cpu upgrade). I'm fairly confident that I can get it working on my own, but I wouldn't mind learning of a quick fix. It does boot into safe mode, so it's probably just the usual new hardware driver issues. I didn't get home from work until 11PM last night, but I should finally have time to get my PC working later today!

And as someone said a few weeks ago... Fractal Designs are the god kings of casedom. I'm actually impressed that you can get such a nice, quality case for under $100.

Did you reinstall Windows after upgrading the mb and CPU?

And did you try a CMOS reset?

Smokey

Are these obtainable through US stores yet. I only see them on Amazon UK. Can I order from there? Wasn't really looking for a headset until I thought about how annoying it could get for my significant with the speakers I'm purchasing.

I got mine from Newegg. Had to use auto notify.. Only spot I could find them

Koroviev

Well if your temperature is getting too warm your PC will turn itself off in order to keep it from frying. Although that wouldn't make sense that it would boot in safe mood but not normally.

You have the cooler seated properly and firmly? How about the thermal paste job?

As I said, it's probably driver shenanigans.

Yes, reinstalled the cooler with fresh thermal paste and tightened it incrementally and diagonally.

Did you reinstall Windows after upgrading the mb and CPU?

And did you try a CMOS reset?

No, but I might bite the bullet and do a refresh.

Nope, haven't tried that yet.

Ty4on

Damn Corsair H100i has gotten extremely loud. The 1.0.5 firmware which was supposed to fix the issue has been removed from their website because it was bricking the cooler.

Pump noise? If not, can't you just plug the fans to the mobo for now to slow them down?

Smokey

What is your background with headphones? Can you compare them to any of the headphones made by Senn, Denon, AudioTechnica, or AIAIAI, etc?

I ask because I have yet to hear the headset that can compare in any way (quality, comfort, balance) to the best headphones in the same price range...and considering anyone can just buy a mod mic and create a headset with superior headphones at the core of the setup, I need to be convinced that purchasing a headset makes sense at all. Based on my experience with the Gamecom Commander, I'm of the opinion that all of these headsets fucking suck, and that everyone who wants one should do themselves a huge favor and find the best headphones they can afford, add a modmic to the setup and enjoy superior audio quality. Nothing was less immersive than the hollow, distant sounds that the $300 Commander provided. $100 cans offer much better sound, and consequently a much more immersive experience. I couldn't believe how bad music sounded either. I would have been offended if I was told they were $75 if the experience of listening to music was to be my reference to guess price. If the Commander is any indication into what is considered quality among headsets, down with headsets and long live the modmic.

I'm not an audiophile.. Yet.. But I'm learning my way through things. I have used the Senn 428s for a few years. Also have some others but nothing high end so I'm just comparing these to my previous senn's. I listened to some music on them yesterday and it sounded fine to me, but I really got them for gaming where I found them to be really nice.

There is certainly an argument for just buying some good headphones and a mic. I thought about that too but I just ended up going with the 363d all in one piece. Plus the previous gen 350/360 were highly praised and this their replacements so I figured I'd be on the lookout for these and Newegg came through with perfect timing.

bro1

Banned
Did it! Installed the Hyper Evo 212 on my Asus Z77 Sabertooth/3570K. Took about 20 minutes and the only small problem was the fan error when I first booted (set the UEFI to ignore).

Running Prime right now at stock for 30 minutes. My idle teps are between 25-38 depending on the core and my max temps range between 56-62 which is a huge improvement over the 81 I was getting with the stock cooler.

Is there away to turn the fan up to get even lower temps?

DJ_Lae

At me?

:(

I've always been interested and curious about the eaudio side of things. I'm just really lazy at times when it comes to acting on some of this stuff see: water cooling lol

Same.

For audio I find there's a pretty decent plateau in terms of quality around the couple hundred dollar mark. Any additional improvement from that point is far more expensive than it's worth.

I think everyone has their own 'that's good enough' point, and most hardcore audiophiles take it far beyond the point of reason. :p

kharma45

Did it! Installed the Hyper Evo 212 on my Asus Z77 Sabertooth/3570K. Took about 20 minutes and the only small problem was the fan error when I first booted (set the UEFI to ignore).

Running Prime right now at stock for 30 minutes. My idle teps are between 25-38 depending on the core and my max temps range between 56-62 which is a huge improvement over the 81 I was getting with the stock cooler.

Is there away to turn the fan up to get even lower temps?

Yeah you can do it in your BIOS.

Run Intel Burn Test too.

kennah

At me?

:(

I've always been interested and curious about the eaudio side of things. I'm just really lazy at times when it comes to acting on some of this stuff see: water cooling lol

I wasn't trying to me be mean, just found it funny that you are giving into the inevitable of becoming an audiophile.

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
Hey Guys,

I was thinking about upgrading my graphics card but I am not sure if I would get any benefit in doing so.

I currently have an Intel Core i7 2700K 3.5GHz LGA 1155 Boxed Processor (OC to 4.0) and 16 gigs of DDR3 memory as well as a GTX560 TI.

What do i upgrade to make my system faster? Thanks ahead for the advice!

kennah

Hey Guys,

I was thinking about upgrading my graphics card but I am not sure if I would get any benefit in doing so.

I currently have an Intel Core i7 2700K 3.5GHz LGA 1155 Boxed Processor (OC to 4.0) and 16 gigs of DDR3 memory as well as a GTX560 TI.

What do i upgrade to make my system faster? Thanks ahead for the advice!

Video card for sure. Snatch up that 7970 on ncix that was posted last page

And SSD if you don't have one. Your processor and ram are fine. (you could probably push your overclock further too)

http://us.ncix.com/products/?sku=67547&vpn=GV-R797OC-3GD&manufacture=Gigabyte&promoid=1139

That one EDIT: Sold out, sorry, but a new video card would help you see a huge improvement, but SSD would be better 'day to day' improvement if you don't already have one.

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa

bro1

Banned
I dont have an after market fan and was worried about it over heating. How high do you think I could get it on the stock cpu fan?

Damn that vid card sold out! :(

I just installed the Hyper 212 in about 20 minutes and it works like a charm. You can get it for $30 and it installs pretty easily

kennah

I dont have an after market fan and was worried about it over heating. How high do you think I could get it on the stock cpu fan?

Damn that vid card sold out! :(

Yikes, I'd be scared to be that far on the stock. Get a new fan! They're $35!

Do you have an SSD?

Are you wanting to stay Nvidia? There is currently a 670 for 275 in the GAF buyselltrade thread.

What's the best way to clean the dust of my videocard? Micro fiber cloth?

Let me expand on this even further. I just built a new system as chronicled over my last like 10 posts on this thread ... but I still have a much neglected system that's still in good working condition that I want to transplant into a new case.

I'd like to know the best way to go about not only cleaning the video card, but also a motherboard and some other components.

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
Yikes, I'd be scared to be that far on the stock. Get a new fan! They're $35!

Do you have an SSD?

Are you wanting to stay Nvidia? There is currently a 670 for 275 in the GAF buyselltrade thread.

Ill have to get a new fan ASAP then!Do i have to pull the motherboard out to add it?

I do have an SSD, actually it brings up another question. Am I stupid for Making a RAID 0 with 2 ssd's?

Ill have to check about that 670, I like Nvidia but have heard the 7970 is better (based off reviews i've read online)..

Vossler

May seem like a rash decision, but I just purchased a CM Quickfire Pro from Newegg for 89 bucks, plus a $30 mail in rebate. First mechanical keyboard for me, Cherry brown. Red seemed too flimsy, and the black wasn't on sale. Anybody have an opinion on these?

garath

May seem like a rash decision, but I just purchased a CM Quickfire Pro from Newegg for 89 bucks, plus a $30 mail in rebate. First mechanical keyboard for me, Cherry brown. Red seemed too flimsy, and the black wasn't on sale. Anybody have an opinion on these?

I have the red Quickfire Pro. I am pleased with it. My only complaint is only half the keyboard is backlit. It's done so well that I'd really like it over the whole keyboard. Other than that, very happy.

It was a lot higher profile than my old G15 so I ended up getting this wrist rest.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004D8PYE2/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I'm very happy with the wrist rest too.

Just be sure to push that mini usb plug in VERY securely on the back of the keyboard. If the keyboard isn't responding, push harder. Once it's in you're fine. Just don't jump to a DOA conclusion without making sure that's in snug.

I support the rash decision. Good price. I got it for a few bucks less after rebate. Well worth it for that price.

Vossler

Sweet. Was going to go for the Razer black widow Tourney edition, as I currently have a lycosa, but the build quality has been iffy on that, so decided to look elsewhere. Excited to try a mechanical!

Smokey

Sweet. Was going to go for the Razer black widow Tourney edition, as I currently have a lycosa, but the build quality has been iffy on that, so decided to look elsewhere. Excited to try a mechanical!

You are going to be amazed at the difference with a mechanical.

Typing becomes addicting.

So right now my rig is looking like this:

Case: R4 Define
Processor Core i5 3570K
Samsung 120 GB SSD
16 GB 1333 MHZ
Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UP4-TH
GTX 670

Would a 600 Watt PSU work? Like this?
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0092ML0OC/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Or should I spend the extra 60 dollars for this
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0090I9VX0/?tag=neogaf0e-20

The only thing I'm going to add later is probably a few more harddrives for video editing.

Edit:
Thanks so much for the help everyone. You guys are really fast and helpful. I'd be lost without PC Gaf!

Koroviev

So right now my rig is looking like this:

Case: R4 Define
Processor Core i5 3570K
Samsung 120 GB SSD
16 GB 1333 MHZ
Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UP4-TH
GTX 670

Would a 600 Watt PSU work? Like this?
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0092ML0OC/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Or should I spend the extra 60 dollars for this
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0090I9VX0/?tag=neogaf0e-20

The only thing I'm going to add later is probably a few more harddrives for video editing.

Edit:
Thanks so much for the help everyone. You guys are really fast and helpful. I'd be lost without PC Gaf!

I would pursue the modular option, but that seems a bit expensive. I just bought the HX650W from Frys a few weeks ago and I think it was less than $100.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom