• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 1. Haswell, Crysis 3, and secret fairy sauce. Read da OP

Status
Not open for further replies.

appaws

Banned
which 7950 would you guys recomend then? which has the best cooler/ is factory oc'd/ has the best warrant etc? Personally liking the xfx double d with the lifetime warranty

I have the Gigabyte one with some factory OC. The great thing is you can go up a lot really easily. I just OC'ed it for the first time last night. 1025 clock/1525 mem on stock voltage with CCC. (Yes I know I can go farther with other software.)

It's also very cool and quiet. Never got over 61C and the fan never got over 47% during my testing with furmark and Uni Valley.

Bumhead

Banned
So what's the deal with installing Windows on an SSD? I've already got my rig built with Windows 7 installed on my regular 1TB HDD, but wanting to pick up an SSD to install Windows on. Do I need to reformat my entire rig or can I just install W7 on the new SSD? Or can I just swap which drive I want my existing copy to be installed on?

mkenyon

Banned
So, closed loop liquid coolers, yay or nay?

If yay, which one is recommended?
Meh. Yay for aesthetics and reducing the amount of stuff you have around your motherboard to make it easier to work on.

Nay for value, and Ivy has thermal issues that the additional overhead from an H100 wouldn't solve.
Thanks to mkenyon posting his G5 work so far I kinda want to take a dead Mac Pro and turn it into a Hackintosh.
The more I look into it, the more I just can't be happy with it. It's like I will always be left with some rough aspects to it that cannot be fixed. It's really frustrating.
So what's the deal with installing Windows on an SSD? I've already got my rig built with Windows 7 installed on my regular 1TB HDD, but wanting to pick up an SSD to install Windows on. Do I need to reformat my entire rig or can I just install W7 on the new SSD? Or can I just swap which drive I want my existing copy to be installed on?
You can either use a migration tool that clones the HDD to the SSD, or just reinstall windows to the SSD while keeping data (not installed programs other than steam and steamapps folder) on the HDD.

kennah

The more I look into it, the more I just can't be happy with it. It's like I will always be left with some rough aspects to it that cannot be fixed. It's really frustrating.
If you get sick of looking at that half gutted Pro you have in 6mos-year let me know, I'll probably take it off your hands if no one local wants it. Might be out that way in August too.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
So, closed loop liquid coolers, yay or nay?

If yay, which one is recommended?

H100i full endorsement. Just make sure you don't drive your vcore into the high 1.390 range. I just found a good sweet spot of 1.320 for a 4.6ghz OC (for now).

Temps cap out at 68 on an IBT run. When I had it at 4.8 with a 1.392 vcore, temps went into the mid 80's. Synthetic tests but still. Normal use was like 66c max. Now it's like 56. I will take that.

Momentary

Banned
Decided that I want to have more time with my fiance when I get back from deployment and I'm getting the Seasonic Platinum 1000 and buying the Corsair Modular Cables to replace Seasonic's set. What I'm wondering is if I should buy 1 or 2 sets of cables since this is the setup:

Seasonic:
1 x Main connector (20/24Pin)
1 x EPS12V/ATX12V(8/4Pin)
1 x EPS12V (8Pin)
8 x Peripheral
11 x SATA
2 x Floppy
6 x PCI-E

Corsair replacement:

-One (1) ATX Main Mother Board Power Connector 24 pin (20+4)
-Two (2) EPS/ATX 12V Power Processor Connector 8 pin (4+4 split)
-Six (6) PCI-Express Connector 8 pin (6+2 split)
-Four (4) Serial ATA, SATA, Power Connector
-Three (3) Peripheral Flat Power Connectors (4pin)

That way I save time, money, and can devote more attention to my significant other. I think she'd be pretty pissed if I spent more time working on a computer rather than with her after a year of being away.

mkenyon

Banned
Decided that I want to have more time with my fiance when I get back from deployment and I'm getting the Seasonic Platinum 1000 and buying the Corsair Modular Cables to replace Seasonic's set. What I'm wondering is if I should buy 1 or 2 sets of cables since this is the setup:

Seasonic:
1 x Main connector (20/24Pin)
1 x EPS12V/ATX12V(8/4Pin)
1 x EPS12V (8Pin)
8 x Peripheral
11 x SATA
2 x Floppy
6 x PCI-E

Corsair replacement:

-One (1) ATX Main Mother Board Power Connector 24 pin (20+4)
-Two (2) EPS/ATX 12V Power Processor Connector 8 pin (4+4 split)
-Six (6) PCI-Express Connector 8 pin (6+2 split)
-Four (4) Serial ATA, SATA, Power Connector
-Three (3) Peripheral Flat Power Connectors (4pin)

That way I save time, money, and can devote more attention to my significant other. I think she'd be pretty pissed if I spent more time working on a computer rather than with her after a year of being away.
I don't think those can be swapped unless you have confirmation otherwise. I know my AX850 set of cables does *not* fit into my X750 Seasonic. Plus, the Corsair AX1200 is not a Seasonic.
H100i full endorsement. Just make sure you don't drive your vcore into the high 1.390 range. I just found a good sweet spot of 1.320 for a 4.6ghz OC (for now).

Temps cap out at 68 on an IBT run. When I had it at 4.8 with a 1.392 vcore, temps went into the mid 80's. Synthetic tests but still. Normal use was like 66c max. Now it's like 56. I will take that.
Keep in mind you are running it on SB-E. Ivy is a totally different ball game. Your temps, vcore, and frequency have no relation to what someone would expect with an Ivy chip.

Momentary

Banned
I don't think those can be swapped unless you have confirmation otherwise. I know my AX850 set of cables does *not* fit into my X750 Seasonic. Plus, the Corsair AX1200 is not a Seasonic.

Would one set be enough anyway?

I figured cables are cables and connectors are connectors. I'll do some research real quick.

Edit: Screw it... I'll just custom make them myself.

Edit 2: Changing my mind again. I don't have time to mess with that. AX860 (hopefully I don't get one that whines) and 2 sets of cables.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals

Keep in mind you are running it on SB-E. Ivy is a totally different ball game. Your temps, vcore, and frequency have no relation to what someone would expect with an Ivy chip.

I knew that but I still had to chime in on how well it works :)

Koroviev

Looks like the H60 pump is going to require a molex connection on this board. More wires, but it works!

Edit: yep, further experimentation confirms that the pump probably isn't going to function any other way. I have the R4 fan controller set to 12V, but the pump still won't start when hooked up to system fan pins.

iavi

which 7950 would you guys recomend then? which has the best cooler/ is factory oc'd/ has the best warrant etc? Personally liking the xfx double d with the lifetime warranty

I have the Sapphire Dual X. It does (or at least mine does) OC like a beast, but can get quite loud to compensate. Gigabyte might be a bit better there.

It's either Gigabyte or Sapphire for the best 7950s, from what I've read.

mkenyon

Banned
Would one set be enough anyway?

I figured cables are cables and connectors are connectors. I'll do some research real quick.

Edit: Screw it... I'll just custom make them myself.

Edit 2: Changing my mind again. I don't have time to mess with that. AX860 (hopefully I don't get one that whines) and 2 sets of cables.
Seasonic has very specific connectors that will kill other PSUs and vice versa. They also need to be able to plug in, in the first place.
I knew that but I still had to chime in on how well it works :)
Right, but Ivy has a heatwall that makes the usefulness a moot point.

Koroviev

The 120Hz panel refresh needs to happen faster. 120Hz is now up there with SSDs in terms of what I consider "necessary" for someone who spends most of the day staring at a PC screen.

Zeth

Got my 840 SSD today from last weekend's Newegg deal. Installing Windows now (from a disc, urgh). Smooth so far, had to reference my motherboard manual to make sure I was using the good controller/sata ports.

Trying to disable hibernate mode and windows tells me I don't have permission to do so. Fresh install, I'm administrator, weird.

mkenyon

Banned
The 120Hz panel refresh needs to happen faster. 120Hz is now up there with SSDs in terms of what I consider "necessary" for someone who spends most of the day staring at a PC screen.
Yup.

Also, to answer your steam question: yeah, you can hook up as many 120hz panels (that have DP inputs) as you have DP ports.

kennah

I'm thinking of hauling my old CRT home from my grandparents house. I think downsampling on it with high refresh rates might prove interesting

t-ramp

Trying to disable hibernate mode and windows tells me I don't have permission to do so. Fresh install, I'm administrator, weird.
From a command prompt? You need to run cmd as an administrator. As in, right click and choose "Run as administrator."

mkenyon

Banned
Alright, I'm throwing in the towel on trying to find something that is an SM5 without looking like an SM5.

I'm just getting the SM5.

500x1000px-LL-6edb9862_SM5_Build02.jpeg

Not sure on the color I want to go with though. I'm thinking either a really nice/sparkly dark grey/gunmetal or a deep bronze.

I need some help, I can't seem to get my Pi to add my Windows Server 2012 PC as a library. Its doing my head in I have tried everything. Any ideas?

Koroviev

Well, I'm an idiot. Certainly not hooking up the R4 fan controller would prevent the pump from getting 12V! OTL

(Related note: I love the R4 fans.)

So, headphones in the OP: how much of a quality difference are we talking between the $20 set and the $100 set? I'm not an audiophile. I'm currently using some cheap earbuds.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
AMD's press conference call went... oddly. I have no idea what is coming. Trying to clear massive 7xxx stock?

All up to nVidia right now in Q2.
If the GPU is forced into a situation where it is using the extra .5 GB of memory then essentially it creates a bottleneck where the overall bandwidth for each frame rendered would be reduced to the lowest common denominator (48 GB/s).

It wouldn't be feasible to have a scenario where memory assess is much quicker for certain textures (example) whilst slower for others without it having a detrimental impact on the overall performance unless devs code for this kind of scenario (which they don't of course because of the sheer variety of PC configurations out there).
That's what I was wondering about.

I'm so frustrated right now. I bought a Seasonic SS-660XP to replace my old Corsair which was making strange noises. And now my Seasonic makes an even more annoying noise like a high-pitched dog whistle humans can hear. I guess it's back to drawing board looking for a new PSU

n0n44m

Alright, I'm throwing in the towel on trying to find something that is an SM5 without looking like an SM5.

I'm just getting the SM5.

Not sure on the color I want to go with though. I'm thinking either a really nice/sparkly dark grey/gunmetal or a deep bronze.

great case but ... what is it with the panel gaps on the Case Labs cases?

yeah yeah removable top with multiple configurations and so on ... but it makes them look like 15 year old server cases or something :/

a tight fitting roof panel and a better looking window/sidepanel would improve their looks by 300% ;)

also I've never seen a G5 mod that looked somewhat decent IMO ... not worth the effort unless you only mod the interior I guess, but then everyone will think it's a 10 year old Mac :p

Zeth

From a command prompt? You need to run cmd as an administrator. As in, right click and choose "Run as administrator."

Thanks!

Is SteamMover still relevant? Is there an alternative that will let me access/move around my games for my steam library? Should I just redownload stuff I want? I have games installed on my spinner which is still formatted as a boot disk. Didn't know I could access it so easily until just now.

edit: added library from other disk via steam, cool. I guess that's good for now, but I'll want to reformat it as a storage drive eventually. Can I use the "backup game files" option in steam to move them to my new boot SSD? Sorry for the questions, will hit up google.

NoRéN

So, headphones in the OP: how much of a quality difference are we talking between the $20 set and the $100 set? I'm not an audiophile. I'm currently using some cheap earbuds.

I wanted some good headphones and like you I am not an audiophile.

I ended up getting some HD428s and they have been great. Much more comfortable than the HD201s and great sound.

Currently under $40 on newegg with a promo code.

http://slickdeals.net/f/5860140-Brand-New-Sennheiser-HD-428-SC-Closed-Circumaural-Hi-Fi-Headphone-4-5ft-Single-Sided-Cord-37-AC-FS

If you want to save a bit more cash, the HD428s are available refurbished through ebay for $30.
http://slickdeals.net/f/5851204-Sennheiser-HD428-DJ-Stereo-Headphones-30-by-ebay-VM-Factory-Refurb

The specific seller is an authorized vendor for Sennheiser. I bought mine refurbished over a year ago for $20 off their site and they are still working like new.

Anton668

i never did post the pics of my new parts and such...

so...

ibaOzYaljwlIjP.jpg

blocked out most of the construction site that is our house during tax time....

tis all set up now, just need to do some wire management and such

mkenyon

Banned
great case but ... what is it with the panel gaps on the Case Labs cases?

yeah yeah removable top with multiple configurations and so on ... but it makes them look like 15 year old server cases or something :/

a tight fitting roof panel and a better looking window/sidepanel would improve their looks by 300% ;)

also I've never seen a G5 mod that looked somewhat decent IMO ... not worth the effort unless you only mod the interior I guess, but then everyone will think it's a 10 year old Mac :p
I totally agree with you on both accounts. I actually emailed Jim @ CaseLabs to see if it was possible to get a custom panel made that would be both the front and top panel but bent into place. Unfortunately it's not possible. It's the major hangup I have with the design aesthetic.

Here's my general requirements for a case right now:

1) Aluminum body and frame. I can mix steel in one of those as long as it is super high quality.
2) mATX motherboard doesn't look out of place in it.
3) I'd like to have at least 480mm of rad space. More is better.
4) Install a mid plate, which is going to be featuring some ideas I've been throwing around. Hopefully have room for pumps/PSU/other business below that.
5) Not huge.

In addition to the cases listed back a page or two, I've looked at a few MountainMods cases, tried getting someone to custom build a case for me (way too backlogged at TripT), all the Lian Li usual suspects, and some others. There is a TJ07 available from a local retailer for $200, thought about jumping on that too.
Did I miss something? Where did he post his work?
Oh, it wasn't anything significant. Just me taking out the innards and bitching about Apple's puzzle-esque assembly.

Koroviev

NoRéN;47805635 said:
I wanted some good headphones and like you I am not an audiophile.

I ended up getting some HD428s and they have been great. Much more comfortable than the HD201s and great sound.

Currently under $40 on newegg with a promo code.

http://slickdeals.net/f/5860140-Brand-New-Sennheiser-HD-428-SC-Closed-Circumaural-Hi-Fi-Headphone-4-5ft-Single-Sided-Cord-37-AC-FS

If you want to save a bit more cash, the HD428s are available refurbished through ebay for $30.
http://slickdeals.net/f/5851204-Sennheiser-HD428-DJ-Stereo-Headphones-30-by-ebay-VM-Factory-Refurb

The specific seller is an authorized vendor for Sennheiser. I bought mine refurbished over a year ago for $20 off their site and they are still working like new.

Huh, not bad. Are they adjustable and all that?

Koroviev

NoRéN;47808696 said:
Adjustable as if they extend? then, yes. The ear pieces are really big. i have big ears and they cover them completely. Really comfortable and light.

No, I'm actually more concerned about them falling off of my head :p

I'm really unenlightened when it comes to audio equipment, but this seems like a good deal.

NoRéN

No, I'm actually more concerned about them falling off of my head :p

I'm really unenlightened when it comes to audio equipment, but this seems like a good deal.

Ok, you mean like do they adjust to fit different sized heads?

See, I'm just as inexperienced when it comes to headphones as you.

Yes, they do. They fit really well. However, the HD201 fit way more snug. If that's what you want then you may consider getting those.

If that's the case, then the HD202s are only $1 more than the HD201s on amazon.

2San

Yeah, I decided to wait for the refreshes, those from Samsung specifically. It's kinda offensive in someways how hard it is to find 120Hz screens. In the Netherlands, I'm basically limited to webshops.

Koroviev

NoRéN;47809035 said:
Ok, you mean like do they adjust to fit different sized heads?

See, I'm just as inexperienced when it comes to headphones as you.

Yes, they do. They fit really well. However, the HD201 fit way more snug. If that's what you want then you may consider getting those.

If that's the case, then the HD202s are only $1 more than the HD201s on amazon.

Oh no, I'm not that particular. I just want them to fit and be fairly comfortable. I'll probably bite on that Newegg deal. More quality for less money is always a plus ;)

NoRéN

Oh no, I'm not that particular. I just want them to fit and be fairly comfortable. I'll probably bite on that Newegg deal. More quality for less money is always a plus ;)

Yeah, I thought that was a good deal. Had to get another set since my girlfriend kept taking mine to work.

My brother is looking to upgrade his CPU and motherboard with $175. He has been getting my hand me down parts.

Q6600 @2.4 ghz
Ati xfx 5850 black edition
4gb ddr3 ram
Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3 (rev. 2.1) mobo

Is there a worthwhile upgrade he can do here? This setup is running much worse than I remember it being for me, and he gets huge FPS drops in TF2 and Borderlands 2. Borderlands 2 will go from 120ish(not maxed) way down to sub 40 fps on a whim. He's also only gaming at 1440x900.

I personally think the q6600 is really starting to struggle. Any suggestion on what to do win this pc?

DTKT

My brother is looking to upgrade his CPU and motherboard with $175. He has been getting my hand me down parts.

Q6600 @2.4 ghz
Ati xfx 5850 black edition
4gb ddr3 ram
Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3 (rev. 2.1) mobo

Is there a worthwhile upgrade he can do here? This setup is running much worse than I remember it being for me, and he gets huge FPS drops in TF2 and Borderlands 2. Borderlands 2 will go from 120ish(not maxed) way down to sub 40 fps on a whim. He's also only gaming at 1440x900.

I personally think the q6600 is really starting to struggle. Any suggestion on what to do win this pc?

It depends on the game, but the Source Engine, used by TF2 is very CPU intensive. A 5850 is still a solid mid-range card.

kennah

He would see a more significant upgrade in video. Mobo and CPU anything he gets won't be appreciably better than the q6600

(Q6600 owner here. Went from a 6850 to 660 and the difference was astonishing)

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
Er, so the ATX power cord that comes with my SeaSonic X-850 PSU has two connectors to the PSU but I don't know which one to insert...or do I put both? Mobo is ASUS Sabertooth X79.

baMCCm0.jpg

Please don't tell me these two parts are incompatible...

Akai__

Er, so the ATX power cord that comes with my SeaSonic X-850 PSU has two connectors to the PSU but I don't know which one to insert...or do I put both? Mobo is ASUS Sabertooth X79.

baMCCm0.jpg

Please don't tell me these two parts are incompatible...

You plug the 20(or 24) pin connector (left one in the picture) in the motherboard and the other end in your PSU(right one). I would also recommend to read your manual and/or watch videos from the OP, if you never build a PC, before.

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
You plug the 20(or 24) pin connector in the motherboard and the other end in your PSU. I would recommend to read your manual and/or watch videos from the OP.

The 24-pin one is already plugged into the motherboard. There's an 18-pin and 10-pin on the other end (pictured). The PSU manual is no help, and the mobo manual shows a 8 or 4-pin connector going into the PSU.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom