• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 1. Haswell, Crysis 3, and secret fairy sauce. Read da OP

Status
Not open for further replies.

mkenyon

Banned
The 24-pin one is already plugged into the motherboard. There's an 18-pin and 10-pin on the other end (pictured). The PSU manual is no help, and the mobo manual shows a 8 or 4-pin connector going into the PSU.
You put them both into your PSU. They aren't on the same row either. If you need me to take a picture, lemme know.

n0n44m

The 24-pin one is already plugged into the motherboard. There's an 18-pin and 10-pin on the other end (pictured). The PSU manual is no help, and the mobo manual shows a 8 or 4-pin connector going into the PSU.

if the images on Newegg are anything to go by, there should be clear markings on the PSU itself right :p

both the 18 and 10 pin ones say "MB" so you're supposed to plug both of them in :)

I'm not sure what's going on, but I am getting an A0 bios reading on the motherboard's LED. A little googling tells me that's something power related. I am booting into windows, able to play games, SLI and Surround are all working.

The only thing I can think of is... If I am using 670's in SLI, I need to have both PCIe 6pin's plugged into the cards, but do I also have to run a PCIe cable to the motherboard? My AX750w only has 4 6pin connector's.

Anton668

so, im really debating trading my Crysis 3 code I got with my 7950 for a code for Tomb Raider....

anyone possibly interested?

mkenyon

Banned
I'm not sure what's going on, but I am getting an A0 bios reading on the motherboard's LED. A little googling tells me that's something power related. I am booting into windows, able to play games, SLI and Surround are all working.

The only thing I can think of is... If I am using 670's in SLI, I need to have both PCIe 6pin's plugged into the cards, but do I also have to run a PCIe cable to the motherboard? My AX750w only has 4 6pin connector's.
IIRC, that means "Everything is working".

The debug menu works like this. It displays what is currently happening in the boot sequence. If you crash, then it sticks on the last thing it displayed, so you know that's where the error happened.

Koroviev

Picked up the Koss Pro DJ 100 headphones from Best Buy with an Amazon price match of $50. The set is recommended in the headphones thread, so I think I did well.

Touch

At the moment, I'm planning my set up for when my parts arrive. An issue that I am running into is internet connection. My modem and router are located on the other side of the house. Would I get better results from a wireless card or a 100ft ethernet cable? I know wired is always better but I'm not sure if that holds true with the length of the cable connection.

garath

At the moment, I'm planning my set up for when my parts arrive. An issue that I am running into is internet connection. My modem and router are located on the other side of the house. Would I get better results from a wireless card or a 100ft ethernet cable? I know wired is always better but I'm not sure if that holds true with the length of the cable connection.

Wired is definitely better. I don't believe there is any issues with 100ft for Ethernet.

kennah

the M4 Sustained Sequential Write is lower than the HyperX 3K

M4 (175 MB/s)
3K (510 MB/s)

If your mind was already made up, why did you ask :p

Unless you're doing server work the every day difference is minimal and the M4 has a proven track record for reliability.

vixlar

The standard marks 100 meters as the limit. that's more than 100 feet, so you should do well with that.

Redx508

If your mind was already made up, why did you ask :p

Unless you're doing server work the every day difference is minimal and the M4 has a proven track record for reliability.

if is minimal than the M4 is the one

I am using a old adata s599 64gb

IISANDERII

Looking to get into PC gaming. Not sure what I want but any graphical improvement over consoles would be good. I am not willing to build my own PC, buy components separately etc.

Is this a good deal for $400?

-Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
-Intel Core i3-2100 CPU @ 3.10GHz 3.10GHz
-Beautiful Thermaltake V3 Black case
-8 GB DDR3 RAM
-GeForce 7950 gt video card
-500W Cooler Master power supply
-320 GB HDD
-Gigabyte B75M-D3H Motherboard
-Asus 24x CD/DVD RW
-D-Link DWA552 Wifi card

Koroviev

Looking to get into PC gaming. Not sure what I want but any graphical improvement over consoles would be good. I am not willing to build my own PC, buy components separately etc.

-8 GB DDR3 RAM
-320 GB HDD
-Asus 24x CD/DVD RW
-D-Link DWA552 Wifi card

Where do you live?

Whooter

-8 GB DDR3 RAM
-320 GB HDD
-Asus 24x CD/DVD RW
-D-Link DWA552 Wifi card

That video card is 6+ years old, and according to Wikipedia, basically what's inside a PS3. So, better than consoles? No.

lmpaler

I probably already know the answer to this question, but I need a second opinion.

So my HDTV is native 720p, but via HDMI it can do 1080P(I have watched many a movie at this resolution), but when I get the rig built should I play at 1080p or the native 720p resolution?

Smokey

i never did post the pics of my new parts and such...

so...

ibaOzYaljwlIjP.jpg

blocked out most of the construction site that is our house during tax time....

tis all set up now, just need to do some wire management and such

How is that router? Was thinking of getting it from Microcenter.

GHG

Gold Member
I probably already know the answer to this question, but I need a second opinion.

So my HDTV is native 720p, but via HDMI it can do 1080P(I have watched many a movie at this resolution), but when I get the rig built should I play at 1080p or the native 720p resolution?

Most games wont let you go past 720p unless you are setup for downsampling.

ElfArmy177

Hey guys, I recently built a new PC and I had a few questions.

i5 3570k OC to 4.5ghz
670 FTW
8gig Corsair vengence 1600 ram
250gb samsung SSD
Asus p8z77-v LX

Is it possible I screwed up something with my processor if alot of my games seem bottlenecked. When running the CPU benchmark Passmark, Im getting a score of 8000. I know that it says its good on there, but some of the other tests (math?) are a bit lower than they should be. Unfortunatly Im not at home so I cant post all my results.

I was playing Planetside 2 and getting much lower FPs than my buddies who had worse hardware so I got rid of the OC and my speed increased (not by too much though). Also having the problem with TERA where in town my FPS plummets to the 30's (I play the game on preset 5).

I only seem to be having issues with large amounts of players on the screen or near me. If I change the graphics settings to much lower, the framerate doesnt really change in either game, if I turn it higher, it still doesnt really change. I guess thats how I know its a CPU bottleneck. I just cant tell if Im getting trolled by people or if I really am having CPU issues.

Also, would I not see a problem in some games such as skyrim with ENB and 200 mods vs an MMO?

Thanks!

Edit: Spread spectrum? disabled, set to XMP in bios for RAM overclocking, All 4 cores turned on, set all 4 to 45 to get to 4.5 GHZ. I dont know what else to do... Maybe I should have just bought a pre-built PC like alienware... lol

GHG

Gold Member
Hey guys, I recently built a new PC and I had a few questions.

i5 3570k OC to 4.5ghz
670 FTW
8gig Corsair vengence 1600 ram
250gb samsung SSD
Asus p8z77-v LX

Is it possible I screwed up something with my processor if alot of my games seem bottlenecked. When running the CPU benchmark Passmark, Im getting a score of 8000. I know that it says its good on there, but some of the other tests (math?) are a bit lower than they should be. Unfortunatly Im not at home so I cant post all my results.

I was playing Planetside 2 and getting much lower FPs than my buddies who had worse hardware so I got rid of the OC and my speed increased (not by too much though). Also having the problem with TERA where in town my FPS plummets to the 30's (I play the game on preset 5).

I only seem to be having issues with large amounts of players on the screen or near me. If I change the graphics settings to much lower, the framerate doesnt really change in either game, if I turn it higher, it still doesnt really change. I guess thats how I know its a CPU bottleneck. I just cant tell if Im getting trolled by people or if I really am having CPU issues.

Also, would I not see a problem in some games such as skyrim with ENB and 200 mods vs an MMO?

Thanks!

Edit: Spread spectrum? disabled, set to XMP in bios for RAM overclocking, All 4 cores turned on, set all 4 to 45 to get to 4.5 GHZ. I dont know what else to do...

That cpu shouldnt be bottlenecking anything. Its probably one of the following if you are only experiencing these issues in online games:

- poor internet connection / firewall interference
- unstable overclock
- drivers

Check all of those things and see if anything makes a diffrrence. Also, run the latest 3d mark firestrike benchmark and compare your score to others with similar hardware.

ElfArmy177

That cpu shouldnt be bottlenecking anything. Its probably one of the following if you are only experiencing these issues in online games:

- poor interbet connection / firewall interference
- unstable overclock
- drivers

Check all of those things and see if anything makes a diffrrence.

Thanks! I tried updating drivers but maybe there are some new ones since I updated them last. Ill check firewall settings but Im on u-verse Fiber to the house so it shouldnt be the connection. Is it possible that I just bought a cheap ass motherboard and seeing the fallout?

It can. You can assemble it any way you want.

SM5 is mATX though. SM8 is the EATX case.

I'm using the Silverstone SG09 at the moment, so mATX is right up my alley! No wonder it looks so good, I'm a fan of compact mATX proportions. Only thing I'm considering (for my next build) is that mATX doesn't allow me to SLI with a soundcard for positional headphone gaming... wonder if the USB soundcard dongles would do the job as well?

kiri

Looking to get into PC gaming over the next couple of months.
Living in Japan and thinking I will buy parts rather than go with very expensive pre-built systems. (Also don't want Windows 8 and thats all they offer)

Your Current Specs: Have a laptop, so I'll be starting afresh.
Budget: Japan, so maybe 100,000-200,000yen (up to $2000)
Main Use:
Gaming 5
Emulation (PS2/Wii) 4
HD Streaming 3
General Usage (Word, Web, 1080p playback) 4
(If I didn't include it, I'm not interested in it)

Monitor Resolution: I will buy a new monitor, something in the price range, sharp and well designed.

Games: Interested in new games; Crysis 3 etc. Far Cry 3 and future-proofing for a year or so at least.

When will you build?: I can wait maybe up to 3 months from now.

Will you be overclocking?: Yes, as long as its fairly simple to do.

Help me out guys! Much appreciated!

kennah

Most games wont let you go past 720p unless you are setup for downsampling.

If the tv has a built in scalar and will convince the source that it can display 1080p then he van do it without downsampling.

If it has a good scalar go for it, you won't harm anything. But try it at both the scaled and native resolutions and see what looks better to you.

In my ridiculous set up I have a 1366x768 tv with an amazing scalar in it running downsampled 1440p at 1080p. It actually looks pretty great.

(But still eyeing up that cheap 120hz monitor)

kharma45

The card I bought last week has apparently been discontinued. Should that dishearten me? :(

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127672#top (MSI 2GB 680 Twin Frozr OC)

Looks like they're moving on to the Lightning/Power Edition. Benchmarks didn't seem to dissimilar when I was looking into them. I'm guessing I can still SLI with a Lightning in the future, right?

Na the TF3 is still a good cooler, and you'll be able to SLI with a Lightning just fine.

bro1

Banned
OC'd my 3570K on my Sabertooth Z77 using the Bios level OC tool. Running at 4.2ghz with a high temp of 67 on one core under load (the rest are in the low 60s) using a 212 Evo. This seems good, right? Prime'd for a few hours and have been ripping DVD's for the past 12 hours with no hiccups. Am I good to go? Also ran Heaven for 2 hours and played 3 hours of X-Com. Consider it stable?

appaws

Banned
OC'd my 3570K on my Sabertooth Z77 using the Bios level OC tool. Running at 4.2ghz with a high temp of 67 on one core under load (the rest are in the low 60s) using a 212 Evo. This seems good, right? Prime'd for a few hours and have been ripping DVD's for the past 12 hours with no hiccups. Am I good to go? Also ran Heaven for 2 hours and played 3 hours of X-Com. Consider it stable?

Sounds pretty good to me. Although you can probably get a little more than that if you wanted to by doing it without the tool. What I have found (with Asrock board) is that they tend to use more voltage than you really need. I went a long time with mine set at 4.2 through the Asrock bios. The one thing I will say is that I found I got lower temps at 4.2 once I started playing with it manually.

If you were to do it yourself you could probably get lower temps and voltages at 4.2, if you just want to be conservative.

You could also probably pretty easily get up to a nice, stable 4.5 if you wanted to do that.

mkenyon

Banned
I'm using the Silverstone SG09 at the moment, so mATX is right up my alley! No wonder it looks so good, I'm a fan of compact mATX proportions. Only thing I'm considering (for my next build) is that mATX doesn't allow me to SLI with a soundcard for positional headphone gaming... wonder if the USB soundcard dongles would do the job as well?
You should have room assuming you have water blocks (intent of case labs), but external DACs are getting really good.

lmpaler

If the tv has a built in scalar and will convince the source that it can display 1080p then he van do it without downsampling.

If it has a good scalar go for it, you won't harm anything. But try it at both the scaled and native resolutions and see what looks better to you.

In my ridiculous set up I have a 1366x768 tv with an amazing scalar in it running downsampled 1440p at 1080p. It actually looks pretty great.

Thanks, this also puts me in a situation where I don't need the beast that I was looking at building because if the scalar sucks and I'm playing at 720p,native resolution is similar to yours, a single card will do because it is such a low wide screen resolution

Koroviev

Get the 120Hz monitor if you can. World of difference. It will immediately become your primarily display.

IIRC, that means "Everything is working".

The debug menu works like this. It displays what is currently happening in the boot sequence. If you crash, then it sticks on the last thing it displayed, so you know that's where the error happened.

I think you are correct, however A0 should switch over to a CPU temp reading on the MPower.

Turns out I had my H80i plugged into a USB header on the motherboard that was causing the mobo troubles. When I was booting up, it would hang on a B4 message for like 15 seconds and proceed to boot, leaving me with A0.

When I moved the H80i over to a different USB header, the B4 hang went away, and my A0 now turns into the CPU temp reading.

I've been stable for a couple days now with SLI. It's glorious. Thanks again mkenyon for the guidance. Everything worked out great. I hope you find your Titan on launch day :D

bro1

Banned
Get the 120Hz monitor if you can. World of difference. It will immediately become your primarily display.

What is this "cheap" 120hz monitor you speak of? The cheapest I've seen is $400.

Currently using a Samsung 27" S27B350. Is it worth it to downsize to a 24" to get 120hz?

Koroviev

What is this "cheap" 120hz monitor you speak of? The cheapest I've seen is $400.

Currently using a Samsung 27" S27B350. Is it worth it to downsize to a 24" to get 120hz?

I'm guessing a used one. I bought one from a member of overclock.net this past week (thanks to mkenyon) and the difference is night-and-day. If you like your current monitor, you might want to try one before taking the plunge. I still have my 25" 60Hz panel, but it has been relegated to the secondary monitor for streaming content and hardware monitoring.

Edit: Have you ever connected to another PC remotely? That's what a 60Hz monitor feels like after you've used a 120Hz panel.

Koroviev

Would I get any benefits with a 120hz monitor using a single 4GB 670?

I haven't even played any games on this thing yet. So, most definitely. It makes the everyday computing experience feel significantly more responsive. Are you accomplishing things faster? Well, no. But it makes you feel like you are. I think it helps that I have the 60Hz and 120Hz panels side-by-side. If I'm in doubt of the benefit of double the refresh rate, all I need to do is drag the pointer to the 60Hz panel. Again, it feels a lot like the lag you get when you're remoting into another PC via Remote Desktop.

I have a 3GB 7950, fwiw. But you don't need to have every game running at 120Hz to see the benefit.

bro1

Banned
As far as routers go, we are a mostly Mac household outside of my gaming PC and have an AirPort Extreme. It works great with minimal setup.

kennah

It's a first gen 22" samsung that has a dead pixel for $130. I'm going to check it out when I get my motherboard in a few weeks.

Good lawd, the upcoming Caselabs mini ITX S3 looks freakin godly! (next to the SM5)
Love dat SFF proportion... but not sure if I can live with just 1 PCI slot!
LL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom