• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 1. Haswell, Crysis 3, and secret fairy sauce. Read da OP

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, I'm considering upgrading my video cards. I have two 580s sli'd now, and I'm thinking of upgrading because I want a triple monitor setup. What video card should I get, if I want to stick with Nvidia?

kennah

Good lawd, the upcoming Caselabs mini ITX S3 looks freakin godly! (next to the SM5)
Love dat SFF proportion... but not sure if I can live with just 1 PCI slot!
LL

This is relevant to my interests.... Fuck

kewlmyc

I'm trying to get into 3D PC gaming and Dolphin/PCSX2 emulation and this is my current rig.

Operating System
Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-bit SP1

CPU
AMD Phenom II X4 955 46 °C
Deneb 45nm Technology

RAM
8.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 535MHz (7-7-7-20)

Motherboard
ASUSTeK Computer INC. M4A88T-M (AM3) 45 °C

Graphics
W2243 (1920x1080@60Hz)
AMD Radeon HD 6800 Series (ASUStek Computer Inc)

Hard Drives
932GB Western Digital WDC WD1002FAEX-007BA0 ATA Device (SATA) 42 °C

Optical Drives
DTSoftBusCd00
DTSoftBusCd01
ASUS DRW-24B1ST a ATA Device

Audio
AMD High Definition Audio Device

Any recommendations? I don't mind getting up to around $1000. I know I most likely need to get a Nvidia card for 3D support, but should I get a new motherboard and CPU while I'm at it?

Koroviev

Still no word on Asus' refresh for these types of monitors?

Not that I'm aware of :(

I really hope the refresh happens soon, though. The market right now hardly even exists.

Edit: And I guess this is a personal preference, but I really like the glossy display of the Asus panel. My 60Hz panel has a matte finish and it just looks so muted by comparison.

Any recommendations for a good mouse under $50? This one I have is getting janky as fuck. Strange to describe, but moving around webpages seems very imprecise with the mouse just responding less the more precise i am trying to be. Not a good feature when you are playing a game like Dota 2.

Damn even have peripherals in the OP now. Hazaro is officially the hardest working man on NeoGAF!

One thing I've never been able to figure out is exactly what are the advantages of a laser mouse over an optical. In my experience a laser mouse hasnt felt any more accurate or precise than an optical. Just wondering since I am deciding between 2 and one is optical and the other is laser.

Hey PC-GAF! I just have a quick question about video card choices since I"m now starting to buy my components now (and the video card will probably be last, if anything).

I currently have basically everything from the Enthusiast build chosen for my PC, and my video card I have so far chosen is the GeForce GTX 670 2GB chosen. Are either of the other choices vastly superior? I'm really not sure if I want to shell out the 90$ extra for the 680 card, but if it is vastly superior, I might do it if I have the excess money available. Or is the other card better than the GTX 670? Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Calidor

Hello PC GAF, I've a question for those who use downsampling. I've done it successfully but I found a pretty big hit on performance, even at 1440p.

However, when I downsample at any given resolution (superior to 1080p) I noticed that every game plays slightly darker, and all colors look more vivid as well. Is there any way to get this effect, but at my regular 1080p resolution? or maybe at the next available resolution (not 1440p) without sacrificing performance?

Koroviev

Hey PC-GAF! I just have a quick question about video card choices since I"m now starting to buy my components now (and the video card will probably be last, if anything).

I currently have basically everything from the Enthusiast build chosen for my PC, and my video card I have so far chosen is the GeForce GTX 670 2GB chosen. Are either of the other choices vastly superior? I'm really not sure if I want to shell out the 90$ extra for the 680 card, but if it is vastly superior, I might do it if I have the excess money available. Or is the other card better than the GTX 670? Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Unless you need CUDA, the 7950 and the 7970 are better buys right now.

Anybody with hands on experience with these 2 mice?

CM Storm Recon

CM Storm Inferno

I would go with either the Xornet or the Spawn. The ring finger rest is great.

Hello PC GAF, I've a question for those who use downsampling. I've done it successfully but I found a pretty big hit on performance, even at 1440p.

However, when I downsample at any given resolution (superior to 1080p) I noticed that every game plays slightly darker, and all colors look more vivid as well. Is there any way to get this effect, but at my regular 1080p resolution? or maybe at the next available resolution (not 1440p) without sacrificing performance?

Have you asked this question in the downsampling thread?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=509076

I remember several people raising the same issue but I cant remember what the cause of it is or the solution.

kharma45

7950 is worth a look imo, they're pretty evenly matched but the 7950 is a fair bit cheaper. You also get BioShock and Crysis 3 free with it.

What sort of price is the 670 you're looking at?

Zeth

The 670 is $354.99 from Newegg right now. That's the cheapest price I see from PCPartPicker. And I have no clue what CUDA is...

Think it's fair to say to just go with the 7950 or 7970? Which one between those is better?

The 7970 is the top end single-card AMD gpu, it's a a great choice as well. Recent drivers combined with price make it very desirable. Compares favorably to the 680.

The 7970 is the top end single-card AMD gpu, it's a a great choice as well. Recent drivers combined with price make it very desirable. Compares favorably to the 680.

That'll work well with the Intel i7-3770k? I just want to make sure. And how much would that be compared to the price I have for the 670?

kharma45

The 670 is $354.99 from Newegg right now. That's the cheapest price I see from PCPartPicker. And I have no clue what CUDA is...

Think it's fair to say to just go with the 7950 or 7970? Which one between those is better?

7970 is the better as you'd guess from the higher number but seeing as you can get a 7950 for $290 it's hard to beat

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202026

Newegg aren't listing the Never Settle bundle with it for some reason which is bizarre. The Gigabyte 7950 is $300 and it'd probably be my choice. Only other one worth considering is the ASUS variant but it's a triple slot and more expensive than those two.

There was a good deal on the 7970 the other day (was something crazy low like $300) but it was likely a one off deal that won't appear again.

That'll work well with the Intel i7-3770k? I just want to make sure. And how much would that be compared to the price I have for the 670?

It'll work fine. 7970s are typically $400+ for a good one, difference is roughly this.

Ty4on

Yeah, tons of people running it with 3770k/3570k ^^

If it's too expensive then the 7950 is better bang for the buck. It's basically a 7970 with some performance disabled and they both overclock really well. If you want physx effects then you'll have to go for Nvidia, but you will usually get more bang for buck with AMD. AMD cards also do AA and high res really good with higher memory speed.

Thanks for all the help guys. I'm just trying to find the 7970 and see if it can fall in line with my prospective budgets...

Also what's this about free games? Only with the 7950? (Not that it would be the deciding factor, just curious :p)

kharma45

Thanks for all the help guys. I'm just trying to find the 7970 and see if it can fall in line with my prospective budgets...

Also what's this about free games? Only with the 7950? (Not that it would be the deciding factor, just curious :p)

All of AMD's good cards get free games. The 7850 and 7870 get BioShock Infinite and Tomb Raider whilst the 7950 and 7970 get BioShock Infinite and Crysis 3. If you go Crossfire 7900 series you get 6 free games. Note that it's only from participating retailers.

What is your max budget for the GPU? Are you doing a build from scratch?

Koroviev

Free games with any 78xx/79xx card from a participating retalier.

girlfriend installed latest creative x-fi titanium win 8 drivers. now her PC won't boot into windows. tried to reinstall win 8 and won't let me do that either. any ideas?

All of AMD's good cards get free games. The 7850 and 7870 get BioShock Infinite and Tomb Raider whilst the 7950 and 7970 get BioShock Infinite and Crysis 3. If you go Crossfire 7900 series you get 6 free games. Note that it's only from participating retailers.

What is your max budget for the GPU? Are you doing a build from scratch?

Yes, I am just buying all the parts myself and then putting it all together (basically going with the Enthusiast build in the OP). My highest price I would pay for a video card would be 354.99$, the price of the 670 I was going with, so the 7950 falls into my range pretty well. The 7970 is just a bit more than I'd prefer to pay, so I'll probably stick with the 7950.

kharma45

Yes, I am just buying all the parts myself and then putting it all together (basically going with the Enthusiast build in the OP). My highest price I would pay for a video card would be 354.99$, the price of the 670 I was going with, so the 7950 falls into my range pretty well. The 7970 is just a bit more than I'd prefer to pay, so I'll probably stick with the 7950.

In that case I'd save your money, get the 7950 and use that leftover $50 or so to make sure the rest of your build (case, PSU, SSD) are all of a very good quality.

In that case I'd save your money, get the 7950 and use that leftover $50 or so to make sure the rest of your build (case, PSU, SSD) are all of a very good quality.

Alright, thanks! And this is the one I should get, right: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...p=&AID=10446076&PID=6149513&SID=12wad2be81vgg

Just want to be 100% sure as I add it to my PC Part Picker list.

And that's one of the ones I get the PC games on, right? Are those Steam redeemable?

Koroviev

kharma45

Alright, thanks! And this is the one I should get, right: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...p=&AID=10446076&PID=6149513&SID=12wad2be81vgg

Just want to be 100% sure as I add it to my PC Part Picker list.

And that's one of the ones I get the PC games on, right? Are those Steam redeemable?

Personally I'd get the Gigabyte version instead http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125414 It definitely has the free games, don't know why Newegg aren't listing them with the Sapphire.

As for the game codes, Crysis 3 will most likely be an Origin one and BioShock Infinite will be Steamworks.

Edit - Amazon do it too if you prefer them, free games too and free shipping http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007581QHG/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Three fans v. two. Gotta keep it cool.

Alright, sounds good. Thanks a bunch you guys! You saved me a LOT of money! :)

Edit: This is the list of what I have so far: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/EbrJ

Just about all of it is from the Enthusiast build in one way or another.

Is the motherboard good, however? I just want to make sure since that'll probably be the next part I'll buy. Sorry for all the questions, just want to be 100% sure of everything.

Iorv3th

Would I notice a significant upgrade moving from the 6950 to the 7950?

I'm going to build a new pc in a few months for my wife and for streaming. Was thinking of getting a 7950 with that free game deal and just moving the 6950 to the other computer when i build it.

M3z_

Yes it would be a significant upgrade especially if you are willing to overclock the 7950. The 7950 is a very powerful card overclocked.

kharma45

Would I notice a significant upgrade moving from the 6950 to the 7950?

I'm going to build a new pc in a few months for my wife and for streaming. Was thinking of getting a 7950 with that free game deal and just moving the 6950 to the other computer when i build it.

Yes

And has been mentioned the AMD 7000 series overclocks extremely well.

gogojira

The time is upon me and tax return money is about a week away and I'm terrified of making a wrong decision. I've been set on a GTX 680 for a while and now all I hear is 7950/70. I'm guessing PhysX is just a marketing term or is there any real value to it? I know SOE are big Nvidia dudes and I plan to play a lot of PS2 and inevitably EQ Next, but if PhysX really does't bring anything to the table I guess that's irrelevant.

And I know it's the nature of the beast, but people seem to be anticipating a true generational leap with the next round of cards. Maybe it's smarter to buy something that isn't top end now so I can replace it later.

This shit hurts my brain!

kharma45

The time is upon me and tax return money is about a week away and I'm terrified of making a wrong decision. I've been set on a GTX 680 for a while and now all I hear is 7950/70. I'm guessing PhysX is just a marketing term or is there any real value to it? I know SOE are big Nvidia dudes and I plan to play a lot of PS2 and inevitably EQ Next, but if PhysX really does't bring anything to the table I guess that's irrelevant.

And I know it's the nature of the beast, but people seem to be anticipating a true generational leap with the next round of cards. Maybe it's smarter to buy something that isn't top end now so I can replace it later.

New cards won't be here until Q4 2013, and then prices will reset so buying now is still well worth it.

As for Physx, these are the games that support it http://www.geforce.co.uk/hardware/technology/physx/pc-games Not really a selling point imo

Koroviev

My vote goes to the 7950 if you're interested in the next round of cards.

gogojira

My vote goes to the 7950 if you're interested in the next round of cards.

That strictly applies if the next round of cards are a monumental leap over our current crop and launch this year. So yeah, it's all hypothetical right now and probably not worth fretting over, but it's the common dilemma of "I won't want my hot new PC to feel outdated by the end of this year."

Maybe I'll just get a Titan. :p

Akai__

New cards won't be here until Q4 2013, and then prices will reset so buying now is still well worth it.

As for Physx, these are the games that support it http://www.geforce.co.uk/hardware/technology/physx/pc-games Not really a selling point imo

I thought we would see new cards in Q2? Has something changed or am I confusing new cards with something else?

Edit: Thanks for answering kharma. I hope, that they will use this additional time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom