• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 1. Haswell, Crysis 3, and secret fairy sauce. Read da OP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nakazato

At $300 I think the 7950 is hard to beat. Yeah, the LE is marginally cheaper...but why compromise when the better alternative is right there?

very true i was just trying to save some money of other things like SDD or Steam Sales lol

but im at 579 and i have some leeway to go cheaper on HDD

mkenyon

Banned
Here's the parts I picked out, pretty much like Hazaro's builds in the OP. Tell me where I can make it cheaper and keep it at comparable power. I wanna run Crysis 3 on Ultra.
Get a proper mouse and keyboard from the OP.

The only ways you could make it cheaper would be to:

1) Pick up a used 670/680/7970 from GAF (going to be lots in the coming weeks thanks to Titan) or Overclock.net.

2) Drop the DVD drive altogether, which you should anyway unless you need it for a specific reason.

3) Cheaper SSD. Crucial M4, 64GB even. Or, stick with the 128GB and drop the hard drive if you don't need one for media storage.

4) Wait and watch this thread for sales on items.

You're also missing a case. Fractal R4 White w/ free shipping @ NCIX for $80 - http://us.ncix.com/products/?sku=75047&vpn=FD-CA-DEF-R4-WH-W&manufacture=Fractal Design&promoid=1302

Smokey

Powerline Ethernet is great. Was able to stream gameplay via xsplit, have the channel open on one monitor to watch performance, and play online at the same time with no lag. It's great can't believe I haven't used it earlier.

EDIT: Oh shit it just hit me out of no where that Z68 boards have PCI-E 3.0. Has anybody dropped an Ivy into one of these? For some reason I feel like it could be wonky versus out right buying a Z77 board and an Ivy chip

gogojira

Deed is done. Welcome back to PC gaming for me. Got all the parts I just mentioned plus a Z77-V LK motherboard, R4 case ($80 from ncix), Cooler Master 212, X-Series Seasonic PSU and 8 GB of ram.

This is mostly a raw gaming machine so I imagine the 8GB should be good, right?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Deed is done. Welcome back to PC gaming for me. Got all the parts I just mentioned plus a Z77-V LK motherboard, R4 case ($80 from ncix), Cooler Master 212, X-Series Seasonic PSU and 8 GB of ram.

This is mostly a raw gaming machine so I imagine the 8GB should be good, right?
Unless you are multi-boxing yeah.

Get a proper mouse and keyboard from the OP.

The only ways you could make it cheaper would be to:

1) Pick up a used 670/680/7970 from GAF (going to be lots in the coming weeks thanks to Titan) or Overclock.net.

2) Drop the DVD drive altogether, which you should anyway unless you need it for a specific reason.

3) Cheaper SSD. Crucial M4, 64GB even. Or, stick with the 128GB and drop the hard drive if you don't need one for media storage.

4) Wait and watch this thread for sales on items.

You're also missing a case. Fractal R4 White w/ free shipping @ NCIX for $80 - http://us.ncix.com/products/?sku=75047&vpn=FD-CA-DEF-R4-WH-W&manufacture=Fractal Design&promoid=1302
Forgot to show it in the image, I have the HAF912 in my cart.

LTTP: how did I use a PC before I had an SSD?

How do I go back to my spinning platter work laptop now that i've experienced that sweet 7 second boot time?

Canadians, I jumped on this deal yesterday. It seems to have been extended another week.

Gigabyte 7970 with 5 free games. on sale for $379

Bioshock Infinite, Crysis 3, Far Cry 3, Hitman Absolution, Sleeping Dogs.

All games I was planning on buying anyway. Effectively made it a ~$100 high end video card barring Steam sales :D

Well, the problem of the rapidly shrinking free space on my SSD is solved. Went for a couple of 7200rpm 3tb spinners in raid0. Game load times aren't awful, and I have 6tb at my disposal. I can finally just install everything on steam and not worry about it. Thank god HDD prices are back down to pre-flood pricing.

Feels good.

Well, the problem of the rapidly shrinking free space on my SSD is solved. Went for a couple of 7200rpm 3tb spinners in raid0. Game load times aren't awful, and I have 6tb at my disposal. I can finally just install everything on steam and not worry about it. Thank god HDD prices are back down to pre-flood pricing.

Feels good.

eh.....

what's your backup solution? That's quite a bit of risk.

Zeth

Deal is insane. Bought my 680 a few weeks ago and have since purchased all but one of those games. Would have jumped on that 7970 deal (if I was in Canada).

Deal is insane. Bought my 680 a few weeks ago and have since purchased all but one of those games. Would have jumped on that 7970 deal (if I was in Canada).

Yea I'm jelly as hell. I would have sold those games for $40/pop and walked away with with a high-end card for < $200.

mad.

mkenyon

Banned
eh.....

Swear to the flying spaghetti monster if you keep changing your avatar I'm gonna mid or feed with KoTL in all of your future Dota 2 games.

Also, Steam is a great backup tool. Lots of online storage type places for general important documents/media. Plus I know we all have our 'external HDD of shame' *wink*

Swear to the flying spaghetti monster if you keep changing your avatar I'm gonna mid or feed with KoTL in all of your future Dota 2 games.

they're all from the same vidyagame! pls don't feed :-D

Also, Steam is a great backup tool. Lots of online storage type places for general important documents/media. Plus I know we all have our 'external HDD of shame' *wink*

True. I just...when I think of 6TB of space, I'm thinking he's storing a lot of stuff. Don't know if cloud storage is the best solution. Then again, I have a NAS for this specific reason, which I guess is what prompted my question.

eh.....

True. I just...when I think of 6TB of space, I'm thinking he's storing a lot of stuff. Don't know if cloud storage is the best solution. Then again, I have a NAS for this specific reason, which I guess is what prompted my question.

Everything's in the cloud. Who needs backup? Also, I will never fill that space. It was overkill, but I just got fed up with being short on space.

Yesterday, I got a blue screen of death with the error "Memory Management"... never seen that one before. Had another bsod today but it was not the memory management error. Ran Windows Memory Diagnostic tool and it is telling me the following:
The Windows Memory Diagnostic tested the computer's memory and detected hardware errors. To identify and repair these problems, contact the computer manufacturer

That seems pretty vague. I'm running 2x4GB 1.25V G.Skill Sniper 1600Mhz DDR3; had them in since I built my system in June 2011. Haven't done anything to my setup besides clean the filters in the past year; haven't even moved it. Any suggestion for a more thorough diagnosis? I'm assuming this'll just be a case of having to replace the RAM, but thankfully 2x4GB of RAM is dirt cheap these days.

Any advice would be appreciated, especially if there is a way to "repair" the RAM or something.

Oh, and I'm on a P67 with a 2500k. If I remember correctly, 1.35V RAM is preferred in this scenario? Or was it 1.5V?

Hm. Looks like this RAM has a lifetime warranty... but I'm going to guess I need the original packaging or some shit to claim it? Anyway, getting ahead of myself. Any advice, PC-GAF?

EDIT: Running Memtest now. It has found over 100,000 errors and isn't even done. Gonna contact G.skill to get my warranty put into use.

ss_lemonade

Canadians, I jumped on this deal yesterday. It seems to have been extended another week.

All games I was planning on buying anyway. Effectively made it a ~$100 high end video card barring Steam sales :D
Wow, now that's a sweet deal! Too bad it isn't available in the US store (though it looks like they haven't updated the description when viewing the item in the search results page)

Oh, and I'm on a P67 with a 2500k. If I remember correctly, 1.35V RAM is preferred in this scenario? Or was it 1.5V?.
Its 1.5

Two unrelated questions GAF:

1. Does the 680 have a big enough bus in order to actually use 4GB of VRAM compared to the 660Ti?

2. Does anyone have some good graphs that show the benefits of using GPU-acceleration in cutting software like Premiere Pro versus software rendering? I've found a couple, but I'm going to be making a presentation to some investors and I would like the best that I can find to make my argument for the best computer hardware possible.

Do The Mario

Unconfirmed Member
Hi Gaf,

A quick question. I really want a new home media/gaming PC. However, if I could run an additional monitor wirelessly I could also use it when working from home in my study (which is in the room next to my living room).

My question is, is there a guide to doing is (i.e set up a wireless monitor with the pc)? Is it possible to do it well?

I really like the idea of buying one pc to cover both uses.

I was hoping a kind soul could please give me some suggestions?

gogojira

I keep obsessively looking at the parts I ordered wishing they were here. I don't think this is healthy. Really excited about the case of all things, too. My last case wasn't bad, but the R4 seems like a slick enclosure.

DJ_Lae

Fantastic deal.

And quite a kick in the balls to everyone who ordered 7900 series cards from NCIX from before Boxing Day and never received their Never Settle bundle keys. I'd imagine their forums will be swamped with angry messages now that they're stacking those keys with the new bundle.

(almost makes me wish I hadn't ordered my 7970 so early, but I have little interest in Bioshock or Crysis so I would just be padding my Steam library)

Xdrive05

Friendly AMD-HD Gaffers,

I decided to get a 7950 b/c of the Bioshock/C3 promo. But I've been on Nvidia for a decade, so I have no idea which 7950 to get, brand-wise and model-wise.

Here's Newegg's offerings.

I do plan on overclocking, so a good/quiet cooler and (especially!) unlocked voltage are very important to me. But I keep reading conflicting reports about which models are unlocked, and which ones have a potential to be locked.

I'd like to keep it as close to $300 as possible, so MIB's could help here.

Any opinions or advice for the uninitiated? Thanks much. :)

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Yesterday, I got a blue screen of death with the error "Memory Management"... never seen that one before. Had another bsod today but it was not the memory management error. Ran Windows Memory Diagnostic tool and it is telling me the following:

That seems pretty vague. I'm running 2x4GB 1.25V G.Skill Sniper 1600Mhz DDR3; had them in since I built my system in June 2011. Haven't done anything to my setup besides clean the filters in the past year; haven't even moved it. Any suggestion for a more thorough diagnosis? I'm assuming this'll just be a case of having to replace the RAM, but thankfully 2x4GB of RAM is dirt cheap these days.

Any advice would be appreciated, especially if there is a way to "repair" the RAM or something.

Oh, and I'm on a P67 with a 2500k. If I remember correctly, 1.35V RAM is preferred in this scenario? Or was it 1.5V?

Hm. Looks like this RAM has a lifetime warranty... but I'm going to guess I need the original packaging or some shit to claim it? Anyway, getting ahead of myself. Any advice, PC-GAF?

EDIT: Running Memtest now. It has found over 100,000 errors and isn't even done. Gonna contact G.skill to get my warranty put into use.
You should use Bluescreen Viewer as well to view the dumps. Pretty important info to help you start diagnosing things. I was going through some of this too but it wasn't as severe as you. It turns out it was a little too much OC on my reference GPU's. I've since toned that down and also unlocked voltage so I don't have to worry about power. I also lowered my OC to 4.6ghz as 4.8 voltage requirements were not pleasing me. I did a memtest as well and it found no errors so that was a big relief because I've never had to RMA any of my HW.

If I have a liquid solution I would totally go for it but I'm using closed loop and it works very well but is a step below proper water cooling.

Lanbeast

I'm on the lookout for a super cheap gtx 470. Let me know if you have one layong around.

Trying to push me into building now instead of this fall, are we? I see how this works.
LLShC.gif

Hey Canada!

Gigabyte 7970 for $379 from NCIX.ca

http://ncix.ca/products/?sku=67547&vpn=GV-R797OC-3GD&manufacture=Gigabyte&promoid=1302

INCLUDES: Sleeping Dogs, Far Cry 3, Hitman Absolution, Bioshock Infinite and Crysis 3.

Offer valid to the 27th of February, but I reallllly doubt stock will last that long.

Just a heads up to you guys that want to get in on this. I got this same card from the US sale last week and the voltage is locked on it. So if you're looking to overclock, there's not a lot of headroom.

Zeth

Ok, I must post pics of my R4 build today. I think I could use some cabling suggestions. I rerouted a few things but its certainly not ideal, and my back panel is quite snug with all the power cables behind the wall.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I bought a wrist padded mouse pad 3-4 weeks ago. I don't know if it's the break in period but it's been quite uncomfortable and leaves my wrist sore after a while. I actually started turning it on its side so the rest is on the right side and I just use the pad for the mouse and leave the wrist rest alone.

Mouse scrolling is smooth but damn if I ever want to go back to a wrist rest.

I did end up re-orientating the mouse so it's on my right side on my corner desk. I can rest my arm on the right and basically put no stress on my wrist and arm now. I have one of those sliding keyboard/mouse plates and it's nice but it can become slightly uncomfortable after a while.

I also am debating on a nice desk chair but that may have to wait.

Dave_6

My R4 will be here today and I'm so excited! I don't really know why though since I don't have the rest of the parts to put in it yet.

Hey Canada!

Gigabyte 7970 for $379 from NCIX.ca

http://ncix.ca/products/?sku=67547&vpn=GV-R797OC-3GD&manufacture=Gigabyte&promoid=1302

INCLUDES: Sleeping Dogs, Far Cry 3, Hitman Absolution, Bioshock Infinite and Crysis 3.

Offer valid to the 27th of February, but I reallllly doubt stock will last that long.

I bought that GPU... A fair warning to those who want to overclock - you can't really do it with this card because the voltage is locked. Unless you're okay with OCing by 50Mhz. I feel ripped off

scogoth

I just bought a new desk and it doesn't have keyboard drawer. I really want one though, so let me know what you got and how you like it.

I just got the actual slides. I had a desk built and the rails they used are cheap and sagging so I order some 100lb rails.

If you want something sturdy and are a handy person you can pickup with undermount rails and some veneer core plywood of your choice and have a quick keyboard drawer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom