• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 1. Haswell, Crysis 3, and secret fairy sauce. Read da OP

Status
Not open for further replies.

kharma45

Pulled the trigger for a new build yesterday:

Case: NZXT Switch 810
CPU: i7 3770k
MB: ASRock OC Formula Z77
GPU: GTX 690
MEM: 16GB Corsair Vengance 2133
HDD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB
WD 1TB Velociraptor 10,000 RPM 64MB Cache
Optical: LG 14X Bluray Burner
PS: Corsair HX750 Modular
Cooling: Corsair H100i
Gskill Memory fan

Any thoughts or suggestions on changes before I begin unboxing everything?

I'd have preferred this PSU http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151087&Tpk=seasonic x750 but the Corsair isn't bad by any means if it's a Seasonic made one.

Kerm 1

Thanks for the comments guys. Indeed the power supply is the Seasonic version. Question: Why would a Titan be a better option than the 690? I'm assuming due to availble memory or OC ability? The 690 clearly outperforms a single card Titan in the benchmarks that I've seen.

mkenyon

Banned

kharma45

Thanks for the comments guys. Indeed the power supply is the Seasonic version. Question: Why would a Titan be a better option than the 690? I'm assuming due to availble memory or OC ability? The 690 clearly outperforms a single card Titan in the benchmarks that I've seen.

Microstutter with the 690 as it's an SLI set up for one.

Mogwai

Is there anyone who has a qualified opinion on whether 2GB VRAM will be sufficient for a future proof GPU? I'm getting a little annoyed at my 7970 and its bastard Catalyst drivers. Keeps giving me some flickering issues in various games.

So I've been tinkering on going nVidia instead. My current has 3GB and I'm sure that will be sufficient for at least some time. But the 670/680 mostly comes in the 2GB versions which is a clear downgrade. I guess even Crysis 3 can soak up 2GB relatively easy?

Edit: Better note that I'll most likely be using 1080p resolutions.

AppleMIX

Will a 660 be able to hold down next gen stuff? Also what is the recommended wattage of a 660 (It doesn't say anything on the store page).

mkenyon

Banned
Is there anyone who has a qualified opinion on whether 2GB VRAM will be sufficient for a future proof GPU? I'm getting a little annoyed at my 7970 and its bastard Catalyst drivers. Keeps giving me some flickering issues in various games.

So I've been tinkering on going nVidia instead. My current has 3GB and I'm sure that will be sufficient for at least some time. But the 670/680 mostly comes in the 2GB versions which is a clear downgrade. I guess even Crysis 3 can soak up 2GB relatively easy?

Edit: Better note that I'll most likely be using 1080p resolutions.
Care to expand on your issue? That doesn't seem to be driver related. Have you:

-Overclocked?
-Tried a different cable?
-Ensured it isn't your monitor?
-Increase voltage a bit?
-Is this an issue through all games?

To (not) answer your question on VRAM, we can't know for sure.
Will a 660 be able to hold down next gen stuff? Also what is the recommended wattage of a 660 (It doesn't say anything on the store page).
No one except the people making the games will know for sure.

Mogwai

-Overclocked?
-Increase voltage a bit?

Sure thing. The issue is that I'm getting these artifact-like flickers that occur just in a blink of an eye. Just enough to be visible and annoying. I've fiddled with different drivers. The card runs quite cool (~60 degrees celcius at load in games). It's only happening in some games. Skyrim is worst, but it also happens in Borderlands 2 and Witcher 2 frequently. Other games like Diablo 3, SC2 and the Crysis1/2/3 run flawless. I've found some other people who also has this specific issue with 7970 cards.

I believe it's related to drivers as it's only happening in some games and not consistenty in all games. But I might be wrong. Also, the card is 100% stock clocks.

Just a snippet of the problem: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=br2oixoJgGE&feature=youtu.be

AppleMIX

-Overclocked?
-Increase voltage a bit?

Well I'm hoping so. I planing on upgrading when I get my tax return. Also I googled the wattage and it is minimum of 450 watts. I bought 650 watts power supply 4 years ago, thought it would be more than that.

mkenyon

Banned
Sure thing. The issue is that I'm getting these artifact-like flickers that occur just in a blink of an eye. Just enough to be visible and annoying. I've fiddled with different drivers. The card runs quite cool (~60 degrees celcius at load in games). It's only happening in some games. Skyrim is worst, but it also happens in Borderlands 2 and Witcher 2 frequently. Other games like Diablo 3, SC2 and the Crysis1/2/3 run flawless. I've found some other people who also has this specific issue with 7970 cards.

I believe it's related to drivers as it's only happening in some games and not consistenty in all games. But I might be wrong. Also, the card is 100% stock clocks.

Just a snippet of the problem: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=br2oixoJgGE&feature=youtu.be
Increase your volts a tad, if that doesn't fix it, you need to RMA the card as that is a hardware defect that happens with both AMD and NIVIDIA.
Well I'm hoping so. I planing on upgrading when I get my tax return. Also I googled the wattage and it is minimum of 450 watts. I bought 650 watts power supply 4 years ago, thought it would be more than that.
You can run a 660 on a ~350W PSU. The power draw is near 100W at load.

Mogwai

Increase your volts a tad, if that doesn't fix it, you need to RMA the card as that is a hardware defect that happens with both AMD and NIVIDIA.
Thanks for the feedback. Do you have any idea of why it happens in some games only? It happens even though the GPU doesn't seem to be under any significant stress.

AppleMIX

You can run a 660 on a ~350W PSU. The power draw is near 100W at load.

Thats good. My build will be 660, 16 gigs of ram DDR3 and a i3-2100 Sandy Bridge 3.1GHz.

The CPU is from my old computer and I got the ram for my birthday. I plan on upgrading the CPU later.

mkenyon

Banned
Thanks for the feedback. Do you have any idea of why it happens in some games only? It happens even though the GPU doesn't seem to be under any significant stress.
Different renders can bring up some artifacts. Those are exactly the type that you would see on an unstable overclock though.

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
Different renders can bring up some artifacts. Those are exactly the type that you would see on an unstable overclock though.

Is there some sort of site that has typical overclocks for video cards and processors? I have heard that each one is different and some will overclock better than others in the same model line. Is that true?

Esch

Banned
I'm sure this question is played out as hell by now, but what do you guys think I should do. My PC is old at this point. It's an 09 laptop; 4gb ram, GT240M 1gb, and a intel dual core @ 2.85. I wanna build something for under 600$ (not including monitors/keyboards/mice) that will last me a couple of years, or at least be easily upgradeable. Think I should jump on it in the next couple of months? Or wait till the 360's successor drops and we have a better idea of specs, and maybe buy round the holidays?

Addnan

Trying to help a friend, will this run a 7950? He has a OEM computer and wants to upgrade the video card. With a i7 2600

u69IEO6.jpg

Takuya

Banned
Damn that mobo looks capsuled in.. what is it (came with mobo, or with case)?

Looks like an Asus Sabertooth.

Pretty sure that is an ASUS Sabertooth....I'm looking into getting one.

^ Yup, it's an ASUS Sabertooth z77, really nice and sleek.

What's your performance like on those bad boys? I'm going to pick up one when I get my rig next month, data charts are cool and all, but I prefer personal testimony

I can't complain, I've been able to run anything on the highest settings, also running most of my games at > 1080p so these cards work great!

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
So is that Fractal R4 cheap enough for what it is for me to want to get it even though the white color and the fact that it has a window aren't very appealing to me? I don't necessarily hate those aspects, but I'd prefer black and no window. Besides that, it has all the features I want from a case and it has the very understated styling that I prefer. Do I go for it?

Dave_6

So is that Fractal R4 cheap enough for what it is for me to want to get it even though the white color and the fact that it has a window aren't very appealing to me? I don't necessarily hate those aspects, but I'd prefer black and no window. Besides that, it has all the features I want from a case and it has the very understated styling that I prefer. Do I go for it?

Awesome case. I've got a black windowed one on the way from the sale they had going last week.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Awesome case. I've got a black windowed one on the way from the sale they had going last week.

I'm incredibly tempted... This would be the first piece to be bought in my PC that I plan to build within the next 3 months or so, so if I buy this, I'm making a commitment. Haha

mkenyon

Banned
Trying to help a friend, will this run a 7950? He has a OEM computer and wants to upgrade the video card. With a i7 2600
That's cutting it way too close. 360W on the 12V rail.

If you are going to buy a $300 video card, then at least upgrade the PSU with the BP550.

I have a quick question. I jumped on that 7970 deal from last week and it should be arriving today. I have a 6950 in my PC currently. I know AMD has unified drivers now so do I need to uninstall and reinstall them? Or can I just swap the cards?

gogojira

How is XFX as a brand? NCIX is running the 7970 Ghz for $400 which seems like a good deal. I'd like to jump on it, but I'm not familiar with them in any regard.

Edit: Eh, apparently it's a mail-in rebate which is good but I prefer the good old instant rebates.

dk_

How much of a difference will it make to upgrade my Intel Core2Quad Q9550 @ 2.83 Ghz to a i5 or i7. Still using 4 GB Ram DDR 2 [533.3 Mhz] and my new GTX 660 Ti.

Sorry, newb. :-(

kennah

How much of a difference will it make to upgrade my Intel Core2Quad Q9550 @ 2.83 Ghz to a i5 or i7. Still using 4 GB Ram DDR 2 [533.3 Mhz] and my new GTX 660 Ti.

Sorry, newb. :-(

You'll need new ram. But difference would be huge if you're getting a good one like a 3570k or 3770k.

So I added a bunch of stuff in my cart and it came out to be $1637. What are some ways to build an amazing PC while not exceeding $1000?

Is it even worth it to invest for a PC now anyway with next gen consoles coming and potentially better parts in the horizon?

well here we go....

Core I5-3570k
7870 LE
Cooler master 212 Plus
Coler Master 620 W PSU
8 gig samsumg ram
crucial m4 256 gig
WD caviar blue 1 tb
edimax wireless card.
cable management is meh. i have no clue what to do with that sata nest at the bottom. On the plus side it's running great. The SSD is a godsend. loving it so far! i may grab crysis 3 just to watch it sweat :)

Akai__

Are there any cheap pre built PCs in the UK?
I've looked myself but all those sites are like a maze for me :(

You will always pay a coupple of hundred pounds more, if you buy a pre-built PC. Why aren't you considering building it by yourself?

So I added a bunch of stuff in my cart and it came out to be $1637. What are some ways to build an amazing PC while not exceeding $1000?

Is it even worth it to invest for a PC now anyway with next gen consoles coming and potentially better parts in the horizon?

May I redirect you to the OP? You will find a 1000$ PC which is pretty good.

Akai__

I have no idea were to even start building one myself.

That's why we are here. You have also some good tutorials in the OP, about how to build a PC, just waiting for you. :)

It will save you a good amount of money and it isn't as difficult as it seems.

My PC totaled around 900 (pre OS) and it has better specs (sans PS4 super ram) than a PS4.

You can definately do it, go by the builds on the front page.

IMO, the only that's going to change for next gen, may be that some games are going to start using a lot more VRAM thanks to the PS3. If you can afford a 3 gig or 4 gig card that might be a decent investment. Otherwise, a midrange build should hold you for a while this gen.

NoRéN

Thanks for the support.
I'll take a look at the OP now.
Why didn't you in the first place.

Builds broken down by budget and how to videos.

Combine that with some of the most knowledgeable and helpful people around means building a PC will be easier and more enjoyable than you could imagine.

Fezzan

Unconfirmed Member
NoRéN;48056121 said:
Why didn't you in the first place.

Builds broken down by budget and how to videos.

Combine that with some of the most knowledgeable and helpful people around means building a PC will be easier and more enjoyable than you could imagine.

I got really confused and panicked.

Too many computer words.

My PC totaled around 900 (pre OS) and it has better specs (sans PS4 super ram) than a PS4.

You can definately do it, go by the builds on the front page.

IMO, the only that's going to change for next gen, may be that some games are going to start using a lot more VRAM thanks to the PS3. If you can afford a 3 gig or 4 gig card that might be a decent investment. Otherwise, a midrange build should hold you for a while this gen.

How many gigs in a 680?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom