• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 1. Haswell, Crysis 3, and secret fairy sauce. Read da OP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smokey

Thanks for the support.
I'll take a look at the OP now.

This thread will literally guide you through the process step by step. You have nothing to worry about. Everything is color coded and for the most part can only go in one way. It's a fun and rewarding experience.

Whooter

That's why we are here. You have also some good tutorials in the OP, about how to build a PC, just waiting for you. :)

It will save you a good amount of money and it isn't as difficult as it seems.

This thread will literally guide you through the process step by step. You have nothing to worry about. Everything is color coded and for the most part can only go in one way. It's a fun and rewarding experience.

Truth. LEGO sets are more difficult to put together.

Fezzan

Unconfirmed Member
Well I read the OP went to pickpart PC or whatever.
Still don't get anything about it, I feel like I'm missing something since everyones saying it's so easy.

Koroviev

Still don't get anything about it, I feel like I'm missing something since everyones saying it's so easy.

Watch a video. If you need any help selecting parts or have questions about building, then just ask! :)

Akai__

PC Part Picker is just there, in order to pick your parts and compare the prices to each other. It also has this great feature, that filters incompatible components out, so that you don't have to worry, if your parts are going to be compatible.

Since, you are in the UK, I don't know, if this website will work for you, but try to change the location to UK.

The 1st thing, that you want to do however, is checking your price range and decide what you want your PC to do. (Gaming, Streaming, Video Editing, Overclocking, etc.)

Then, check out Hazaro's builds. Those builds are just fine, but you don't have to go with them obviously.

I highly recommend, to play arround with the Hazaro PC builds and test/modify them in PC Part Picker, like you want them.

Koroviev

So I added a bunch of stuff in my cart and it came out to be $1637. What are some ways to build an amazing PC while not exceeding $1000?

Is it even worth it to invest for a PC now anyway with next gen consoles coming and potentially better parts in the horizon?

A list of parts would be helpful ;)

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Fill out the questionsheet in the op.
Get helped.
Pick parts from build on the UK websites. Report back if you can't find any of them.

@Voice : The 1k build is VERY good for the money and a beastly machine. 1k goes a long way today.
Fill out the OP sheet so we know your expectations.

Koroviev

Might sound a bit silly to some but I feel it's a very under-rated card, there are still some who automatically default to looking at Nvidia for high end.

If "high-end" means a multiple-GPU setup, then Nvidia is the only one I'd go with. For single-GPU configurations, AMD seems like the clear winner in terms of performance/$. I would have gone with a 7970 if that had been an option (have the 7950).

Xdrive05

Gaffers, any idea how long AMD's Bioshock / Crysis 3 pack-in for 79xx cards will last? Is it safe to assume it will last at least until Bioshock is released?

lolmoose

Neo Member
just built my new rig, and at first it would not boot with my 670 and when I took it out it worked fine. With the 670 installed, it gave me error code 62 which is "installation of south bridge runtime services." Now it boots with the 670 installed, but it can not detect it when I try to install the drivers. I have Windows 8 and a 3570K processor with Asrock z77 extreme 4.
Any help is appreciated. Thank you.

gogojira

Question not strictly related to hardware, but do you guys recommend sticking with Windows 7 or opting for Windows 8? I hear a large amount of bickering about 8 but if it's the inevitable future I'm thinking about just grabbing it.

kennah

Question not strictly related to hardware, but do you guys recommend sticking with Windows 7 or opting for Windows 8? I hear a large amount of bickering about 8 but if it's the inevitable future I'm thinking about just grabbing it.

It's personal preference at this point. Get whatever you can get for cheaper.

Koroviev

I prefer 8 at this point, but results my vary. I say try before you buy since the promotion on 8 is no longer available.

DTKT

There is no real downside to Windows 8 beyond some very strange UI and workflow choices. But there is also very little incentive to upgrade.

It's up to you.

gogojira

Sounds good, I'll opt for 8. I can get over change so long as the OS isn't a mess. Thanks for the help, over the course of longer than I would have liked I've used this thread to piece together my new PC.

About half ordered and the rest of my major pieces should be ordered or picked up by the weekend. Really excited. :D

Going to give a brief rundown of what I have before hitting the go button on my next few pieces as they're the big spender items and I'd like to get the GAF thumbs up on it.

kennah

FSP 500 watt 80 plus gold

Sorry dude, your PSU isn't up to the task. 670 requires 30 amps on the 12v rail. source

That powersupply only provides 18A source

Actually I may take this back a little. Did a bit more digging into the error code. What case do you have and what other cards and peripherals do you have plugged in? I found a thread that suggests the old troubleshooting trick of unplugging everything that isn't necessary and then replugging things in one by one until you can get the error to occur again. So if you have any PCI/PCI-E cards, Esata devices, and even the front USB, try unplugging them and booting with the video card again.

lolmoose

Neo Member
Actually I may take this back a little. Did a bit more digging into the error code. What case do you have and what other cards and peripherals do you have plugged in? I found a thread that suggests the old troubleshooting trick of unplugging everything that isn't necessary and then replugging things in one by one until you can get the error to occur again. So if you have any PCI/PCI-E cards, Esata devices, and even the front USB, try unplugging them and booting with the video card again.

My 670 and this power supply worked fine on my previous build though, and I have read a bit about the power supply being the issue.

I have the HAF 912, Asus Xonar DG, a Logitech g400 mouse, old logitech keyboard, and cooler master 212 plus. Thank you sir, I will try right now :)

Koroviev

I can run crysis 3 at 44 fps on mediumish settings, anyway to push it for being able to be played on high?

Specs?

OK:

GPU Gigabyte 7970 Ghz Edition for $430 Ideally this rig is going to last me a while or at least until late 2014 early 2015.

Samsung 840 Pro Series SSD for $220

i7 3770K for $229

Motherboard, RAM, HDD, power supply and heatsink are already purchased (around a month ago, which I used this thread for guidance). Now I need a case which comes down to preference mostly.

All good stuff. I'm a big fan of the R4.

kennah

My 670 and this power supply worked fine on my previous build though, and I have read a bit about the power supply being the issue.

I have the HAF 912, Asus Xonar DG, a Logitech g400 mouse, old logitech keyboard, and cooler master 212 plus. Thank you sir, I will try right now :)

Protip - leave the CM212 on, lol. But I'd certainly try without the sonar

Here's the parts I picked out, pretty much like Hazaro's builds in the OP. Tell me where I can make it cheaper and keep it at comparable power. I wanna run Crysis 3 on Ultra.

iBxakah.png

DDxMJgx.png

Koroviev

Here's the parts I picked out, pretty much like Hazaro's builds in the OP. Tell me where I can make it cheaper and keep it at comparable power. I wanna run Crysis 3 on Ultra.

iBxakah.png

DDxMJgx.png

Swap the 680 for a 7950 or a 7970 unless you plan to SLI.

Go with one of the mice in the OP. I have the Xornet and it's a very comfortable mouse.

Other than that, simply do some shopping around for the best prices. Although that is a very solid build, I still wouldn't expect to run Crysis on ultra...but you will slay most games quite easily.

kennah

Recent driver advances have changed that. The 7970 started outpacing the 680 when AMD started getting their shit together.

gogojira

Swap the 680 for a 7950 or a 7970 unless you plan to SLI.

Go with one of the mice in the OP. I have the Xornet and it's a very comfortable mouse.

Other than that, simply do some shopping around for the best prices. Although that is a very solid build, I still wouldn't expect to run Crysis on ultra...but you will slay most games quite easily.

Do you think my 7970 Ghz is overkill? My goal is to make this thing at least last through a full two to three year window and still by chugging along nicely. I know you can "flash to Ghz" but I'm not overly comfortable with things of that nature ... at least not right now.

Nakazato

Just a heads up the
ASRock Z77 Pro4 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

and a few more mobos are coming with 8 gigs of ram free

Can you guys critique my build? This will be my first build ever! Once i get all the parts in, which will be over the course of a few months, I'm sure i will have lots more questions. I don't need anything too crazy I just want a good budget gaming PC with some ocasional photoshop/CAD work

-------------------------

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i3-3220 3.3GHz Dual-Core Processor ($123.79 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock B75 PRO3 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($82.55 @ Newegg)
Memory: Samsung 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.49 @ Outlet PC)
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon HD 7850 2GB Video Card ($184.98 @ Newegg)
Case: BitFenix Outlaw ATX Mid Tower Case ($47.98 @ Outlet PC)
Power Supply: Antec 450W ATX12V Power Supply ($38.24 @ Amazon)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($19.98 @ Outlet PC)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($79.20 @ Newegg)
Total: $686.20

Nakazato

Can you guys critique my build? This will be my first build ever! Once i get all the parts in, which will be over the course of a few months, I'm sure i will have lots more questions. I don't need anything too crazy I just want a good budget gaming PC with some ocasional photoshop/CAD work

-------------------------

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i3-3220 3.3GHz Dual-Core Processor ($123.79 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock B75 PRO3 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($82.55 @ Newegg)
Memory: Samsung 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.49 @ Outlet PC)
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon HD 7850 2GB Video Card ($184.98 @ Newegg)
Case: BitFenix Outlaw ATX Mid Tower Case ($47.98 @ Outlet PC)
Power Supply: Antec 450W ATX12V Power Supply ($38.24 @ Amazon)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($19.98 @ Outlet PC)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($79.20 @ Newegg)
Total: $686.20

buy the
ASRock Z77 Pro4 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

from new egg you'll save 20 dollars Ram is free with it

I thought Nvidia is the way to go with respect to GPUs?

Nope. AMD is competitive in price and performance. Nvidia supports a few more technologies than AMD, like CUDA, PhysX, and LightBoost 2. Nvidia also seems to have lower frame latency when using multiple card setups (usually referred to as micro stutter), but AMD is closing the gap on that with better drivers.

You can't go wrong with either AMD's 7800/7900 or 660/670/680 series. They're all fairly appropriate in price for their performance, with a slight edge going to AMD at the moment.

Koroviev

Do you think my 7970 Ghz is overkill? My goal is to make this thing at least last through a full two to three year window and still by chugging along nicely. I know you can "flash to Ghz" but I'm not overly comfortable with things of that nature ... at least not right now.

I would get the Ghz edition. They're so close in price that I'd just shoot for the best.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233218

So im torn between the 7870 and the 7950 trying to go cheaper on my build and every lil bit helps should i say with the 7950 or go for a 7870 LE ?

At $300 I think the 7950 is hard to beat. Yeah, the LE is marginally cheaper...but why compromise when the better alternative is right there?

kennah

Just a heads up for this free ram thing going around. It is a single stick of big heat spreader ram. That means the following

1. Will not run in dual channel - which means you lose some performance
2. Heat spreader is incompatible with many coolers.

I'd skip it personally.

But for the above poster - spend the 10-20 for a better, z77 motherboard. Will give you the most upgrade options later.

Just a heads up for this free ram thing going around. It is a single stick of big heat spreader ram. That means the following

1. Will not run in dual channel - which means you lose some performance
2. Heat spreader is incompatible with many coolers.

I'd skip it personally.

But for the above poster - spend the 10-20 for a better, z77 motherboard. Will give you the most upgrade options later.

I went ahead and ordered the Z77 mobo and Win 7 from newegg just now. Win 7 was 20% off and the promo code expires today.

Ram is pretty easy to upgrade so if i run into any major problems with the free stuff then I'll get some really good stuff

First two items for my first build down! Next month i will add some more pieces and hopefully before long I'll have a complete system. So excited!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom