• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 2. Haswell = #IntelnoTIM, but free online. READ THE OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Addnan

That looks hot. Almost sold out too.

Works out way too expensive for outside USA though. $40 shipping and then we would need to pay local taxes, customs and other crap. Hopefully makes it to retail.

lethial

Reeeeeeee
When there's a promotion for a free game through NCIX and you buy it in store (i live about 15 mins away) do you get a voucher or is it for online orders only? I can't get through to anybody at the store.

kennah

That looks hot. Almost sold out too.

Works out way too expensive for outside USA though. $40 shipping and then we would need to pay local taxes, customs and other crap. Hopefully makes it to retail.

Shipping on my Splash was $85 (but there were no taxes because of NAFTA thankfully).

I like the splash better, but this does look pretty cool. The Silver is nice.

Azulsky

Am I right in thinking that the difference between this and this is that you have to bump up the speed of the blue one to 1600mhz manually? That's what the comments are saying.

1600Mhz is probably the XMP setting. So technically yes manually but its not the same as fiddling with the memory voltage and testing with stability, you just select XMP setting.

Intel has a list of motherboards and CPU's and RAM kits that they verify to work with the XMP setting.

mr stroke

I am looking to upgrade my Motherboard and CPU while still keeping my old W8 install and HDD data.

Anyone know if this its possible for me just to swap out the mobo and CPU and re plug in the old HDD and have it work just like my old PC? Or would this require a brand new install of Windows, drivers, etc....

After applying a ton of gift cards from my b-day, I just received my: Link

My impression of 120hz gaming at 120fps:

OH78ZUL.jpg

What can you guys tell me about Diamond brand graphics cards? I ordered a Diamond Radeon HD 6670 1GB GDDR5 a bit ago, but then I found an XFX brand version for about the same price (though with DDR3 instead, but otherwise basically the same). I've been reading not so good things about Diamond, so I'm thinking about cancelling my order and going with XFX instead (which is a brand I trust).

Like I mentioned in my other posts earlier, I don't game on PC much, so I don't need anything too powerful...but I certainly don't want something that might break easily.

Question for those who are green. When buying a new gaming PC (motherboard, cpu, ram at least) is it smarter to re-use the case and sell on any unwanted components as spares? I wonder if you would be better off just selling the whole thing complete to someone reduce overall waste.

mkenyon

Banned
I am looking to upgrade my Motherboard and CPU while still keeping my old W8 install and HDD data.

Anyone know if this its possible for me just to swap out the mobo and CPU and re plug in the old HDD and have it work just like my old PC? Or would this require a brand new install of Windows, drivers, etc....
Need to reformat. If you are antsy about it, that means you should have reformatted a long time ago :p
What can you guys tell me about Diamond brand graphics cards? I ordered a Diamond Radeon HD 6670 1GB GDDR5 a bit ago, but then I found an XFX brand version for about the same price (though with DDR3 instead, but otherwise basically the same). I've been reading not so good things about Diamond, so I'm thinking about cancelling my order and going with XFX instead (which is a brand I trust).

Like I mentioned in my other posts earlier, I don't game on PC much, so I don't need anything too powerful...but I certainly don't want something that might break easily.
Both are meh. XFX goes cheap on some of their non-reference versions. As long as you buy reference though, it doesn't matter in the least as they are built to spec.
Question for those who are green. When buying a new gaming PC (motherboard, cpu, ram at least) is it smarter to re-use the case and sell on any unwanted components as spares? I wonder if you would be better off just selling the whole thing complete to someone reduce overall waste.
You get more money from parting out. It will become waste at one point though, you're just talking about kicking the proverbial can down the road.

PowerTaxi

Banned
Hey guys, I'm looking into building a new rig. I'll have about €600 to spend and I have no reusable parts except for an old monitor that I'll use until I can afford a new one later.

I want to play games like FF XIV at 60 FPS(I'll settle for medium settings, detail doesn't bother me that much)

Any Ideas? Thanks

Addnan

Hey guys, I'm looking into building a new rig. I'll have about €600 to spend and I have no reusable parts except for an old monitor that I'll use until I can afford a new one later.

I want to play games like FF XIV at 60 FPS(I'll settle for medium settings, detail doesn't bother me that much)

Any Ideas? Thanks

OP has builds in different price ranges. See how they compare to places you can buy from.

Both are meh. XFX goes cheap on some of their non-reference versions. As long as you buy reference though, it doesn't matter in the least as they are built to spec.

I've read that Diamond reference cards are generally fine (though their costumer service isn't), but...how do I know for sure if it's a reference card or not?

Ok, updated build:

Case- NZXT Source 210
CPU- i5 3570K
Mobo- Gigabyte SKT-1155 Z77
RAM- 8GB low profile corsair vengeance
Cooler- Hyper 212 Evo

-So the PSU is the last thing I'm thinking about. I figure a BP550 plus would do the trick?
-Apparently OCing on that mobo tops out at ~4.4GHz, but I doubt I'd push it any further than 4.2
-I'm guessing I need thermal paste, since the 212 Evo doesn't appear to come with it
-Finally, considering it's a full-sized mobo, should I just go with normal-sized RAM, as opposed to low profile, keeping in mind I'll be sticking the 212 Evo in there?

Addnan

Ok, updated build:

Case- NZXT Source 210
CPU- i5 3570K
Mobo- Gigabyte SKT-1155 Z77
RAM- 8GB low profile corsair vengeance
Cooler- Hyper 212 Evo

-So the PSU is the last thing I'm thinking about. I figure a BP550 plus would do the trick?
-Apparently OCing on that mobo tops out at ~4.4GHz, but I doubt I'd push it any further than 4.2
-I'm guessing I need thermal paste, since the 212 Evo doesn't appear to come with it
-Finally, considering it's a full-sized mobo, should I just go with normal-sized RAM, as opposed to low profile, keeping in mind I'll be sticking the 212 Evo in there?

Get low profile RAM, otherwise the fan on the heatsink could hit it.

Hyper 212 comes with thermal paste

BP550 will be fine for pretty much any build

edit: You can get a G45 for £8 http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B007JRGVUA/ and really it would be worth the £8 just for the reliability under overclocking and then push further later if you ever wanted. edit2: I am blind, £13 more

Get low profile RAM, otherwise the fan on the heatsink could hit it.

Hyper 212 comes with thermal paste

BP550 will be fine for pretty much any build

edit: You can get a G45 for £8 http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B007JRGVUA/ and really it would be worth the £8 just for the reliability under overclocking and then push further later if you ever wanted. edit2: I am blind, £13 more

Cool, thanks.

I just noticed this RAM will be available in a week. Looks faster...and cheaper? It's a toss-up between that or these two(link & link).

Am I missing something here? The 1866MHz RAM is just a few pound more than the 1600MHZ, while the 2133MHZ appears cheaper than either?

mkenyon

Banned
Might be 'optimized for Haswell', as Haswell's Internal Memory Controller is really strong, allowing for higher clocks than on previous chips. They did something really similar with Ivy.

But, I've also heard rumblings from a friend that works at a custom pc shop that RAM prices are headed down over the next few months. Could be a result of that.

In either case, it doesn't really matter. Faster memory will give you an imperceptible difference in gaming performance.

Might be 'optimized for Haswell', as Haswell's Internal Memory Controller is really strong, allowing for higher clocks than on previous chips. They did something really similar with Ivy.

But, I've also heard rumblings from a friend that works at a custom pc shop that RAM prices are headed down over the next few months. Could be a result of that.

In either case, it doesn't really matter. Faster memory will give you an imperceptible difference in gaming performance.

Odd. So, could I be looking at any sort of downside as a result of opting for the faster memory?

Super. One last thing before I pull the trigger on this stuff; any recommendations for a ~90GB SSD? 64 is a bit too small, 128 a bit too costly and I need something to tide me over until I get a big-ass HDD. Samsung doesn't seem to have this size range in their 840 range, though.

mkenyon

Banned
If you can wait the course of a week, snipe a sale on a 120/128. Don't know how prices translate across the pond, but lets say an SSD generally goes for $120-130, you will almost always be able to find one for ~$90 at some point.

Addnan

Super. One last thing before I pull the trigger on this stuff; any recommendations for a ~90GB SSD? 64 is a bit too small, 128 a bit too costly and I need something to tide me over until I get a big-ass HDD. Samsung doesn't seem to have this size range in their 840 range, though.

How much can you spend on it? £77.98? http://www.ballicom.co.uk/mz7te120b...e--120-gb--internal--25--sata600.p956032.html

http://www.ebuyer.com/266526-crucial-128gb-m4-ssd-ct128m4ssd2 £69.99?

maneil99

You can't compare your system to review systems. That's the issue with Haswell, the gap between the proc and the heatspreader causes wildly different temperature results with every processor. Your results actually sound really in line with what is commonly out there.

Mine is Ivy but that still applies I guess. Thing is my temps are 5-7c worse at a lower vcore then my 212 +. At stock its within 4 c of my OCed 212 + at 1.28v/4.5ghz

mkenyon

Banned
Mine is Ivy but that still applies I guess. Thing is my temps are 5-7c worse at a lower vcore then my 212 +. At stock its within 4 c of my OCed 212 + at 1.28v/4.5ghz
The fan speed is based on CPU temp. Try making it consistent perhaps? Not enough case airflow mebbe?

1.28v isn't that much higher than stock, FWIW.

Addnan

I'm looking at the 840 120GB for £75 right now...it's pushing it a bit. I might just wait for a possible price drop like mkenyon said, I need to wait for the RAM to arrive in store in a week anyways.

M4 at £69.99 is the better buy. Same price at Amazon too, but delivered within 2-4 weeks. Prices could go lower on the 840 basic if a store has excess stock, but outside of that SSDs don't really go cheap here. The best deal on a 120GB I could find was a Kingston at £65 and that was a while ago.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Yeah don't sweat your temps being off review systems. Lots of those are open benches and you can't compare to them, just their deltas and how coolers rate compared to each other.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
What's the deal with these SSDs? I've just noticed the "Evo" showing up recently and with promo code today this is $165 on newegg.

SAMSUNG 840 EVO MZ-7TE250BW 2.5" 250GB SATA III TLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

Is there something wrong with them compared to the 840 Pro?
EVOs are newer and better and just launched. Waiting a little bit for some hands on impressions, but they should be replacing the 840 Pro's.
Thinking about getting a Radeon HD 6670 1GB GDDR5 128-bit from Diamond for $60. I've read that the 6670 should work fine on a 300 watt system, even though the requirements I've seen all say 400 watts.

My computer is an HP Pavilion a15n, and here are its current specs:

-300 watt power supply
-Pentium D 820, 2.80 GHz

I can't afford a new computer, and I don't game on PC much, so I'm just looking to get a new graphics card that will work under a 300 watt PSU and give me better performance than the 4350 I have...which I'm sure wouldn't be hard to beat. Hah.
I can't afford $100+ stuff right now. Maybe sometime down the line when I have a regular job, but right now I just make some money here and there doing small things, so I can't afford anything too expensive, hence the $60 card. My current set up gets me around 20~30-ish frames per second on most games at low to medium settings (with a really crap card), but it's inconsistent. I'm not looking to play at max settings or even with anti-aliasing, I just want smoother, more consistent framerates. I do most of my gaming on consoles, but I got some stuff for cheap and some stuff free from Steam Gifts and from people here on GAF, so yeah. I'm not really a PC gamer kind of guy, so I'm not looking to spend much just to play a few games...especially since my computer runs just fine for everything else I need.
Edit: Went ahead and ordered the card. Hope it works. If not, I'll see if I can get another power supply...but I'm really hoping that I don't have to.
I'd say to buy this 7770:
$70 AR
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127687

Comes with a game code of your choice (Sleeping Dogs, FC3, Deus Ex) to help offset your cost. I'd recommend it since it's basically twice as powerful, only a tiny bit more power hungry, and in your price point if you can swing the rebate. You can buy used 7770's straight for $80 off eBay as well.
Can anyone tell if these BSOD are Ram related or just not enough voltage?

http://i.imgur.com/h6jLkHX.png
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?266589-The-OverClockers-BSOD-code-list

I'll add (having looked at these the past 3 days) that the 1A can crop up on Vcore as well so just max it and make sure it's not a limiting factor.

Aaaand ordered! All that's left is a powers supply and monitor. Thanks to Azulsky, Addnan, , mkenyon, kennah, kharma45, Anton668, Zaph, Jakfu, Kamakazie! and claviertekky for helping a clueless gaffer out. No doubt I'll be back to badger you all with questions again once I inevitably fail to put this shit together.

Danj

I've had a couple of bluescreens since I had this computer. The latest episode gives the following output from WhoCrashed:

On Fri 16/08/2013 15:49:18 GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\081613-6286-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x75B80)
Bugcheck code: 0x1A (0x403, 0xFFFFF680000B18A0, 0xB4000002D0AA8867, 0xFFFFF680008B18A0)
Error: MEMORY_MANAGEMENT
file path: C:\Windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: NT Kernel & System
Bug check description: This indicates that a severe memory management error occurred.
This might be a case of memory corruption. More often memory corruption happens because of software errors in buggy drivers, not because of faulty RAM modules.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

crash dump file: C:\Windows\memory.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: dxgmms1.sys (dxgmms1!VidMmInterface+0x23D6E)
Bugcheck code: 0x1A (0x403, 0xFFFFF680000B18A0, 0xB4000002D0AA8867, 0xFFFFF680008B18A0)
file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\dxgmms1.sys
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: DirectX Graphics MMS
Bug check description: This indicates that a severe memory management error occurred.
This might be a case of memory corruption. More often memory corruption happens because of software errors in buggy drivers, not because of faulty RAM modules.
The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver on your system that cannot be identified at this time.

So it sounds like nVidia drivers are the culprit? Are there updated drivers to fix this? I'm on 320.49, Geforce Experience says this is up to date even though it's from July.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I've had a couple of bluescreens since I had this computer. The latest episode gives the following output from WhoCrashed:

crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\081613-6286-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x75B80)
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.
Run memtest 86+, check for errors, bump VCCIO / Memory voltage and check they are running at spec.

Are you overclocked?

Danj

Run memtest 86+, check for errors, bump VCCIO / Memory voltage and check they are running at spec.

Are you overclocked?

No, not overclocked. CPU-Z seems to think the RAM is running at 666MHz, though the Asus motherboard utility claims it's running at twice that. I'll do a memtest86+ later. It'll be annoying if it's a memory problem as I'll have to send the memory back :/

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
No, not overclocked. CPU-Z seems to think the RAM is running at 666MHz, though the Asus motherboard utility claims it's running at twice that. I'll do a memtest86+ later. It'll be annoying if it's a memory problem as I'll have to send the memory back :/
DDR is double data rate so those numbers are correct.

Aaaand ordered! All that's left is a powers supply and monitor. Thanks to Azulsky, Addnan, , mkenyon, kennah, kharma45, Anton668, Zaph, Jakfu, Kamakazie! and claviertekky for helping a clueless gaffer out. No doubt I'll be back to badger you all with questions again once I inevitably fail to put this shit together.

Gotta be more positive :p

but seriously that's what the thread is for, take full advantage. (I need to get back in here but Saltybets plus work :( )

Double Data Rate, just multiply that CPU-Z number by 2 to get the advertised number

maneil99

Figured out why the temps are high. Took off the cooler. Middle is bare of paste. Taking it to be reinstalled. The fact that i havent bsod at 1.16v at 4.5ghz is making me excited. Of course it was only a 5 minute test.

MercuryLS

Banned
I want to get into PC gaming, I need some GAF advice. Should I build my own or go with a pre-made system? I've never built a PC so I'm a bit nervous. Also how prevalent is the out of the box support for the Xbox 360 controller on PC titles? Is it a pain to deal with driver issues on specific titles on PC or does Steam take care of a lot of that with automatic updates? I don't want a shit PC that will run games poorly but I don't want to spend much more than $500 on it either.

Azulsky

So how do I set up a game to run at 120fps and anything under it drops it to 60fps? I can cap battlefield 3 at 120fps but having trouble with fps drops in Witcher 1...

Thank you.

Can I ask why you would want to do this? What if you render a game at 100fps, you want to throw away 40% of your performance?

Dr.Acula

Banned
I want to get into PC gaming, I need some GAF advice. Should I build my own or go with a pre-made system? I've never built a PC so I'm a bit nervous. Also how prevalent is the out of the box support for the Xbox 360 controller on PC titles? Is it a pain to deal with driver issues on specific titles on PC or does Steam take care of a lot of that with automatic updates? I don't want a shit PC that will run games poorly but I don't want to spend much more than $500 on it either.

Building your own is pretty simple nowadays. 360 support is right out of the box, most PC games auto detect it and give you actual 360 prompts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom