• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 2. Haswell = #IntelnoTIM, but free online. READ THE OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
Anyone use the Lenovo N5902? Any better alternatives?

_460_0_0C51503_V1.jpg

kennah

There is 65w versions of the A8 and A10 too, not that she'll need all their power.

More that I don't want to spend that much money on an experiment. Currently she has a AM2-4200+ that is underclocked so it runs silent.

This is the same lady that I had to remove the SSD because it was running too fast.

She also uses a 20" 4:3 LCD at 640x480.

And uses the internet like the past version of the future - she clicks a headline and prints out the article, then reads that.

I know this thread is pertinent to PC gaming but can we discuss DIY DVRs/HTPCs?

I want to build myself a DVR system to record shows from Dish Network. I don't know if it's possible to record shows via HDMI?

I did perform a search for a DIY DVR threads and didn't find any dedicated threads.

kharma45

More that I don't want to spend that much money on an experiment. Currently she has a AM2-4200+ that is underclocked so it runs silent.

This is the same lady that I had to remove the SSD because it was running too fast.

And uses the internet like the past version of the future - she clicks a headline and prints out the article, then reads that.

2pbwL6m.gif

A6 5600K it is then :lol

tilting_msh

Neo Member
eh. In what? Every benchmark shows minimal to no improvement in gaming.

If you don't want to really OC and the price is cheaper sure go for haswell. That board is at a nice price after rebate. Average board would cost about that much so stick with it.

Thanks man, appreciate the advice. I'll decide tonight. I do like that Ivy and the Asus motherboard is sort of tried and tested so I may end up sticking with, but I'm a sucker for a good deal who knows lol.

I'm building the system to play slightly older gen games at top settings at 1080p, games like Fallout 3 and New Vegas w/mods, Oblivion w/mods, STALKER series, Dragon Age Origins, Last Remnant etc so it's not like I need bleeding edge gear...

kharma45

Any idea how hot a reference GTX 560 would get inside a Node 304? Helping a friend, was gonna give my old 560.

UYRkIy5.png

If it's a reference one it should be OK I would imagine with the cooler being a blower.

You can save money on that RAM too with Amazon, 1866 low profile Gskill stuff for £7 cheaper.

Addnan

It'd be fine. Reference design exhausts all the hot air instead of cycling it around the case.

If it's a reference one it should be OK I would imagine with the cooler being a blower.

You can save money on that RAM too with Amazon, 1866 low profile Gskill stuff for £7 cheaper.
Alright thanks guys that's good to know.

and yeah, will shop around for price. I just like using Scan as a go to place to check everything.

The damn Node is so cute.

doc2_medium.gif

I made a post here a while back on planning to get a SFF build, but stuff got in the way. Here's the current build I'm looking at:

Case- Fractal Node 304
Mobo- Asus P8Z77-I(Mini-ITX)
CPU- i5 3570K
RAM- Corsair Vengeance 8GB
PSU- Corsair GS600W

(For a graphics card, I'll be using a GTX460 that I already have for the moment, with the intention of upgrading later)

A few quick questions:
1) Is 600W too much power for such a build? Could I drop it down a notch(keep in mind I plan to overclock that i5). The thing is, a gaffer named kennah pointed out this PSU to me way back when. I know the 600W will fit in the case, but if I could get away with the 450W I would be more comfortable with the extra space.

2) CPU coolers- like I said, I'm gonna overclock the i5(wanna play Dolphin games). Someone pointed out the H40/H60 coolers? Yay/nay?

3) That bleedin' motherboard. Thing is expensive. I don't knew the first thing when it comes to motherboards. If anyone has any suggestions for cheaper Z77 mini-ITX boards I'd love to hear them.

Sorry that I've already gone through these shenanigans about 50 pages back, but I just want to be utterly certain this machine is one to do for a couple years. Much obliged to any and all folks with answers.

Addnan

I made a post here a while back on planning to get a SFF build, but stuff got in the way. Here's the current build I'm looking at:

Case- Fractal Node 304
CPU- i5 3570K
PSU- Corsair GS600W

(For a graphics card, I'll be using a GTX460 that I already have for the moment, with the intention of upgrading later)

A few quick questions:
1) Is 600W too much power for such a build? Could I drop it down a notch(keep in mind I plan to overclock that i5). The thing is, a gaffer named kennah pointed out this PSU to me way back when. I know the 600W will fit in the case, but if I could get away with the 450W I would be more comfortable with the extra space.

2) CPU coolers- like I said, I'm gonna overclock the i5(wanna play Dolphin games). Someone pointed out the H40/H60 coolers? Yay/nay?

3) That bleedin' motherboard. Thing is expensive. I don't knew the first thing when it comes to motherboards. If anyone has any suggestions for cheaper Z77 mini-ITX boards I'd love to hear them.

Sorry that I've already gone through these shenanigans about 50 pages back, but I just want to be utterly certain this machine is one to do for a couple years. Much obliged to any and all folks with answers.
Don't get the Corsair PSU. It is not modular. You really need modular inside those things. Get the Silverstone.

H60 is nice inside the Node.

The Asus is the best Z77 ITX!

kennah

Case- Fractal Node 304
CPU- i5 3570K
PSU- Corsair GS600W

A few quick questions:

1. 600W is way too much. I'm always right, you should listen to me (I'm not always right). That particular 450W is good enough for everything except a Titan. It's running my 670 and OC2550K right now - both of which pull more power than what you're doing.

2. H60 will do you just fine I THINK - someone else might have a better idea for that particular case.

3. Yeah, the Asus is expensive. But it's a great overclocker. Go with the Gigabyte if you want something cheaper - but it doesn't deliver the power for max overclocks (which would also make the 450W psu a bit better too).

WolvenOne

Okay, I figured I'd get everyones opinions on this, before I RMA'd everything left and right.

So, I bought a Haswell i5, and the following motherboard.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131981

That, and some new memory.

Well, last night everything arrived, and I went through all the trouble of putting it together, only to find that the primary PCI-E 16X slot wouldn't recognize my Radeon HD 7870.

Now, the card works, if I move it to one of the two secondary slots the computer picks it up just fine. However, there, it only shows up as being connected at 8X, as if I were running a multi-GPU set-up.

My initial thinking has been that the Motherboard has screwed up settings, and is forcing things into multi-GPU mode, diverting lanes from PCI-E slot 1. However, I see no setting in the Bio's or program on the computer that would do something like that.

So, what do you think, did I get a bad Motherboard? CPU? Or is there something obvious I'm overlooking?

Azulsky

Can you flash the BIOS and still RMA it?

I would see if they have an updated one on the Asus site and try that. Pending that the above works.

I ended up ordering my build over the past few days. Thanks for the help from folks here.

This is what I ended up getting

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler
Motherboard: Asus Z87-WS ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
Memory: Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Disk
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 780 3GB Video Card
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 780 3GB Video Card
Case: Corsair Air 540 ATX Desktop Case ($139.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair Professional 850W 80 PLUS Gold Certified ATX12V / EPS12V

Plus a bunch of AF120/SP120/AF140's to fill up the case.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Okay, I figured I'd get everyones opinions on this, before I RMA'd everything left and right.

So, I bought a Haswell i5, and the following motherboard.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131981

That, and some new memory.

Well, last night everything arrived, and I went through all the trouble of putting it together, only to find that the primary PCI-E 16X slot wouldn't recognize my Radeon HD 7870.

Now, the card works, if I move it to one of the two secondary slots the computer picks it up just fine. However, there, it only shows up as being connected at 8X, as if I were running a multi-GPU set-up.

My initial thinking has been that the Motherboard has screwed up settings, and is forcing things into multi-GPU mode, diverting lanes from PCI-E slot 1. However, I see no setting in the Bio's or program on the computer that would do something like that.

So, what do you think, did I get a bad Motherboard? CPU? Or is there something obvious I'm overlooking?
Probably the Mobo. Have you already reseated the card, turned off PC, turned off PSU, held power for 15s, then tried again with the cables jiggled into place?

FWIW the 8x will give you the same performance if you don't want to bother with the RMA.

WolvenOne

Probably the Mobo. Have you already reseated the card, turned off PC, turned off PSU, held power for 15s, then tried again with the cables jiggled into place?

FWIW the 8x will give you the same performance if you don't want to bother with the RMA.

Yeah but if there are underlying problems with the motherboard, its only a matter of time until something else crops up.

Anyhow, reseated the card several times, reset the CMOS, the power supply, and just for the sake of due diligence I'm gonna try both swapping the card, and plugging a different video cord into things.

I doubt either of those those actions will work, but, due diligence.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Yeah but if there are underlying problems with the motherboard, its only a matter of time until something else crops up.

Anyhow, reseated the card several times, reset the CMOS, the power supply, and just for the sake of due diligence I'm gonna try both swapping the card, and plugging a different video cord into things.

I doubt either of those those actions will work, but, due diligence.
Bah, you'll know somethings wrong if it breaks.
(RMA is a good idea imo)
Alternatively get credit for the MSI instead :D

Need some help. I got a Plantronics GameCom 780 headset. I installed the software off the website and when I insert the usb cable I get, "USB Device not Recognized." The software is installed but doesn't open. I tried installing it on my laptop with the original cd and the updated drivers and still no go. The light on the 7.1 indicator lights up blue so it's getting power.

Beyond a clean install, I don't know what to do.

I'm running it on;
Windows 7 64 bit
AsRock Z68 Pro Gen 3 motherboard(just updated bios to see if that was the problem)

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
If you don't mind me asking, whats the term MSI mean? The only MSI I know is the brand name.
As in G45 Gaming mobo :p
Need some help. I got a Plantronics GameCom 780 headset. I installed the software off the website and when I insert the usb cable I get, "USB Device not Recognized." The software is installed but doesn't open. I tried installing it on my laptop with the original cd and the updated drivers and still no go. The light on the 7.1 indicator lights up blue so it's getting power.

Beyond a clean install, I don't know what to do.

I'm running it on;
Windows 7 64 bit
AsRock Z68 Pro Gen 3 motherboard(just updated bios to see if that was the problem)
Dumb question, but did you follow the install instructions to the tee?
Uninstall the drivers from device manager, then see if you can install it again. If not, then contact their support (Plantronic).

WolvenOne

As in G45 Gaming mobo :p

Ah, well, I got the CPU and MoBo as a part of a sale, nearly 100USD off. I can try exchanging it, but my guess is that NewEgg would push for a straight up exchange.

*Sigh* Really don't want to think about messing with this hardware all over again. I'm not one of those individuals that enjoys mucking about with the insides of computers.

maneil99

Just got a new 3570k and H80i to replace my 212 + and old 3570k ( Intel Tuning Plan )

Temps hit 80c in a minute at 4.5ghz/1.25v.
Temps hit 65c in 5 minutes at stock.

Both of these are blend tests

My 212 + was hitting 71-88c at 1.280v-1.288v after 12 hours. Did NCIX install it wrong? What should I do?

Just got a new 3570k and H80i to replace my 212 + and old 3570k ( Intel Tuning Plan )

My 212 + was hitting 71-88c at 1.280v-1.288v after 12 hours. Did NCIX install it wrong? What should I do?

That doesn't sound unusual for Ivy.

EDIT: Checked my old stress-test numbers...totally in line with your results. Join the delid club, brother.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim

Welcome to #IntelnoTIM and the value of a very good air cooling unit!

Dumb question, but did you follow the install instructions to the tee?
Uninstall the drivers from device manager, then see if you can install it again. If not, then contact their support (Plantronic).

After many tries I wriggled it slowly into the usb port and it recognized, installed & worked. I tried to do it on my desktop and I was unsuccessful. I got it to work on my laptop one more time after it failed many times, so I'm guessing it's some wrong with the cord. Going to return it to Valve and hopefully a replacement works.

Mad Max

Time to delid.

All right, my last upgrade went off well thanks to you guys so I'm back for more help :p

Here's what I'm at:
- AMD Phenom II X4 945 (running at 3300MHz)
- 12GB RAM
- MSI AMD 790GX-G65
- EVGA GeForce GTX 660Ti 3072MB GDDR5 (though CPU-Z says the graphics memory size is only 1023 MB... ???? is that accurate?)
- PC Power and Cooling S75QB Silencer 750W Quad Power Supply
- Coolermaster Centurion 590 Case
- 120GB SSD, 1TB HDD
- CM Hyper 212

So anyway, I decided to try out Skyrim again, and fuck if I can get a solid 30fps with my current setup, and that's without the fancy ENBs I want to run. Anyway, Skyrim's "detects" that I should be running at VeryHigh settings and Nvidia's thing says I should be running at Ultra or whatever with everything turned up, but that doesn't give me a playable framerate at all.

From my understanding Skyrim is more CPU bound than GPU bound and my CPU is getting long in the tooth, but of course if anything seems amiss about that let me know.

So I guess the question is, what CPU should I upgrade to if I've got a couple hundred to spill? Ideally it would be the only thing I need to replace... but will I need to replace the mobo or anything else? Will the case be big enough? It's pretty tight as it is.

Addnan

Case will be fine. You will need a new motherboard though. What is your exact budget? The usual recommendation here is 3570K + MSI Z77A G45.

Case will be fine. You will need a new motherboard though. What is your exact budget? The usual recommendation here is 3570K + MSI Z77A G45.

I could probably swing around $300... maybe even $400 (after tax) if I felt reassured that this would last me comfortably into 2015, preferably as long as possible. Which I guess is enough to get the combo you just listed.

Everything else will work fine/be compatible with those components, right?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
All right, my last upgrade went off well thanks to you guys so I'm back for more help :p

Here's what I'm at:
- AMD Phenom II X4 945 (running at 3300MHz)
- 12GB RAM
- MSI AMD 790GX-G65
- EVGA GeForce GTX 660Ti 3072MB GDDR5 (though CPU-Z says the graphics memory size is only 1023 MB... ???? is that accurate?)
- PC Power and Cooling S75QB Silencer 750W Quad Power Supply
- Coolermaster Centurion 590 Case
- 120GB SSD, 1TB HDD
- CM Hyper 212

So anyway, I decided to try out Skyrim again, and fuck if I can get a solid 30fps with my current setup, and that's without the fancy ENBs I want to run. Anyway, Skyrim's "detects" that I should be running at VeryHigh settings and Nvidia's thing says I should be running at Ultra or whatever with everything turned up, but that doesn't give me a playable framerate at all.

From my understanding Skyrim is more CPU bound than GPU bound and my CPU is getting long in the tooth, but of course if anything seems amiss about that let me know.

So I guess the question is, what CPU should I upgrade to if I've got a couple hundred to spill? Ideally it would be the only thing I need to replace... but will I need to replace the mobo or anything else? Will the case be big enough? It's pretty tight as it is.
CPU/Mobo is the only thing you need to replace. You might have 1.65V memory as well, but that's not that big a deal.

I'd suggest buying my i7 2600K and P8P67 Pro! Available for the low low price of $260! WOW what a deal. I also have an ugly heatsink (TRUE120)I can toss in for 20 bux, or a nice one for $35 (TPC 812)! I will also guarantee 4.4Ghz OC (Runs hot though, did up to 4.6Ghz).
THATS DOUBLE THE THREADS. i7 4 LYF

F93iTBw.jpg
F93iTBw.jpg
F93iTBw.jpg
F93iTBw.jpg

F93iTBw.jpg
F93iTBw.jpg
F93iTBw.jpg
F93iTBw.jpg

That said I'd say nab 4670K off Amazon for $220 and a Z87 Gaming for $154 if you don't want my offer.

Addnan

You are recommending Haswell!? Are you feeling okay :p?

@timetokill

Your parts will be compatible with any build you choose to go with.

That said I'd say nab 4670K off Amazon for $220 and a Z87 Gaming for $154 if you don't want my offer.

That's a generous offer indeed Haz... but I may end up with what you suggested instead.

I am kinda weirded out that the 4670K is the same price as the 3570K, and that the 3570K actually retails higher on Amazon. But anyway.

$408.43 (damn tax) is on the high end of what I wanted to pay but I guess I'll just deal with it, unless anybody wants to pull my finger off the trigger right now :p

Thanks Addnan, I ask dumb questions haha. I'm still fairly new to PC builds, the GPU and new cooling system upgrade I got last time was an adventure, this time will be even more learning :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom