• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 2. Haswell = #IntelnoTIM, but free online. READ THE OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kharma45

And I told myself the 460 would serve as a temporary card until I could jump in at the high end of the next series, or the next series... or the next.
I got sick of waiting and this was too good to pass up. 670 PE SLI here we come.

Bear in mind these ones wont overclock at this price.

kennah

Well shit, now windows won't activate via online or phone as I apparently used it too many times. Time to speak to a rep, fun fun lol

nvm redid the call and gave them a different answer for number of pcs lol
... You do only have your license on one computer at a time right?

Soodanim

With the free-falling prices of 670s, I'm tempted to get one of the sub-£200 ones and spend money on a 120hz monitor. But without actually seeing one (which I imagine would be difficult unless I travelled to somewhere that had one on display, which is probably rare in the UK) I can only go by the opinions of the internet. Also, I don't really plan on doing that much FPS gaming. Especially not multiplayer.

Still not sure about 7950 vs 670/680. I guess I'll wait until the 9000 line comes out and see what that offers.

Azulsky

I was considering changing to one of those. I love the airflow of my Silverstone FT02, but would love something smaller.
Got turned off by many reviews pointing out some little niggles that seem like they would be fixed in a v2.
Which ones in particular I can give you feedback while memory is fresh

knitoe

Corsair 540 Case

dat airflow

Yep. Love the 540. It would be hard to find a better airflow and cable managing case.

Here's my setup:
l0nVTPE.jpg

2600K@4.5GHz
16GB Ram
SLI Titans
X-Fi Fatal1ty
2x128GB Samsung 830 Raid 0
2x250GB Samsung 840 Raid 0
2x2TB Seagate Raid 1
3TB Seagate

Azulsky

Oh god u have the pro bridge too. Seducing me so bad.

I can see some concern for lack of dust filters but demci has magnetic ones available. I might pick up a few. Frozencpu carries the whole kit but you only need them on intakes.

I am running the rear 140 as intake and everything exhausts through my H100i.

knitoe

Oh god u have the pro bridge too. Seducing me so bad.

I can see some concern for lack of dust filters but demci has magnetic ones available. I might pick up a few. Frozencpu carries the whole kit but you only need them on intakes.

I am running the rear 140 as intake and everything exhausts through my H100i.

The only extra filters needed is the side PSU vents. Amazon has the Silverstone w/ magnets for cheaper than FrozenCPU.

KiKaL

So I am debating about upgrading my PC. So far I really don't have any problems with it because it seems to handle gaming pretty well at this point. Because of that I don't think I am necessarily looking to completely rebuild but at the same time it might just make sense at this point. Ultimately I would like to build a system with the idea of using it for the Occulus Rift. I don't have one nor am I even on the developers wait list but I plan on getting on once it hits consumers.

Currently I am running
AMD Phenom II X4 945 Deneb 3.0GHz Socket AM3 95W
ASUS M4A785TD-V EVO AM3 AMD 785G HDMI ATX
2x G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
EVGA GTX260
500 Watt Antec PSU
1tb Seagate HDD
Win8

My initial thoughts would be adding more ram, solid state hard drive and maybe a stronger PSU . Is this system worth upgrading or would it be better to start rebuilding completely?

kharma45

So I am debating about upgrading my PC. So far I really don't have any problems with it because it seems to handle gaming pretty well at this point. Because of that I don't think I am necessarily looking to completely rebuild but at the same time it might just make sense at this point. Ultimately I would like to build a system with the idea of using it for the Occulus Rift. I don't have one nor am I even on the developers wait list but I plan on getting on once it hits consumers.

Currently I am running
EVGA GTX260
500 Watt Antec PSU
1tb Seagate HDD
Win8

My initial thoughts would be adding more ram, solid state hard drive and maybe a stronger PSU . Is this system worth upgrading or would it be better to start rebuilding completely?

SSD yes. PSU is fine still, more RAM won't benefit you unless you're regularly hitting the 4GB limit. Best upgrade would be to overclock your CPU and maybe a GPU upgrade alongside that but if you're happy with your 260 still then don't.

Azulsky

The only extra filters needed is the side PSU vents. Amazon has the Silverstone w/ magnets for cheaper than FrozenCPU.

yeah i was considering buying filters for the front intakes, rear 140, and PSU. I need to read more about the demci filter material itself before I jump on anything.

can you give me a link to the silverstone filter

I see I'm not the only one with a quick question, so I'll ask mine:

I'm about to do a clean installation on my first SSD, but there are a lot of files I want to transfer over from my current HDD. Would it be most efficient to just leave the HDD hooked up to the motherboard and transfer files that way?

Thanks.

knitoe

yeah i was considering buying filters for the front intakes, rear 140, and PSU. I need to read more about the demci filter material itself before I jump on anything.

can you give me a link to the silverstone filter

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004GGUASG/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I see I'm not the only one with a quick question, so I'll ask mine:

I'm about to do a clean installation on my first SSD, but there are a lot of files I want to transfer over from my current HDD. Would it be most efficient to just leave the HDD hooked up to the motherboard and transfer files that way?

Thanks.
Disconnect the HDD, install OS onto SSD, reconnect HDD, and then, transfer files.

Disconnect the HDD, install OS onto SSD, reconnect HDD, and then, transfer files.
Thanks for the quick response, it's reassuring. I'll hook it back up after I get everything up and running and fully optimized-- don't want to risk having the old HDD interfere with anything.

I'm so torn on what GPU I should buy, scan.co.uk have a MSI 670 Power edition for £179 but now I hear its a failed overclock. Am I better off just getting the overclocked version for £199?

kharma45

I'm so torn on what GPU I should buy, scan.co.uk have a MSI 670 Power edition for £179 but now I hear its a failed overclock. Am I better off just getting the overclocked version for £199?

If you want to overclock it then yes. If you're happy with the standard 670 performance then save your money.

If you want to overclock it then yes. If you're happy with the standard 670 performance then save your money.

Right okay I was under the impression that it was so cheap because it somehow wasnt even up to 670 standards. So the cheaper one is just essentially a regular 670, and the more expensive one is already overclocked to bring it closer to a 680?

kharma45

Right okay I was under the impression that it was so cheap because it somehow wasnt even up to 670 standards. So the cheaper one is just essentially a regular 670, and the more expensive one is already overclocked to bring it closer to a 680?

Pretty much. The PE OC one will be pretty close if not on par with a stock 680, and it could well have the ability to overclock yet further. The normal PE might still overclock a bit but it's far from guaranteed so you'd have to buy it in the frame of mind that all you're getting is a 670 with no OC ability, anything more is a bonus.

Yep. Love the 540. It would be hard to find a better airflow and cable managing case.

Here's my setup:
l0nVTPE.jpg

2600K@4.5GHz
16GB Ram
SLI Titans
X-Fi Fatal1ty
2x128GB Samsung 830 Raid 0
2x250GB Samsung 840 Raid 0
2x2TB Seagate Raid 1
3TB Seagate

Where doees the power supply go?

mug

Currently I am running
EVGA GTX260
500 Watt Antec PSU
1tb Seagate HDD
Win8

I'd recommend a SSD then GPU. Your CPU and PSU should be fine for a little while longer.

This might be a dumb question:

If I choose to hold off on buying a graphics card, would one of these recommended rigs be still functional for regular, non game use? I just want to get the PC built and get a new monitor and have it nice and functional for school use. But I might look for a GFX card around Christmas.

Also,
I realize this CPU is overkill, but I saw this today. Good deal?
http://www.newegg.com/Special/ShellShocker.aspx?cm_sp=ShellShocker-_-1415968-_-08222013_1

479 after rebate for

1x MSI Z87-G41 PC Mate LGA 1150 Intel Z87 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX High Performance CF Intel Motherboard (Model:Z87-G41 PC Mate)

$109.99
1x Intel Core i7-4770K Haswell 3.5GHz LGA 1150 84W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics BX80646I74770K (Model:BX80646I74770K)

$339.99
2x CORSAIR XMS 8GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMX8GX3M1A1600C11 (Model:CMX8GX3M1A1600C11)
$159.98

Pretty much. The PE OC one will be pretty close if not on par with a stock 680, and it could well have the ability to overclock yet further. The normal PE might still overclock a bit but it's far from guaranteed so you'd have to buy it in the frame of mind that all you're getting is a 670 with no OC ability, anything more is a bonus.

Makes sense now, thanks for all the help. Wouldn't have come so this far so quickly if it weren't for you and others in this thread. All signs point to a Saturday build, excited and nervous.

kennah

This might be a dumb question:

If I choose to hold off on buying a graphics card, would one of these recommended rigs be still functional for regular, non game use? I just want to get the PC built and get a new monitor and have it nice and functional for school use. But I might look for a GFX card around Christmas.

Also,
I realize this CPU is overkill, but I saw this today. Good deal?
http://www.newegg.com/Special/ShellShocker.aspx?cm_sp=ShellShocker-_-1415968-_-08222013_1

479 after rebate for

1x MSI Z87-G41 PC Mate LGA 1150 Intel Z87 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX High Performance CF Intel Motherboard (Model:Z87-G41 PC Mate)

$109.99
1x Intel Core i7-4770K Haswell 3.5GHz LGA 1150 84W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics BX80646I74770K (Model:BX80646I74770K)

$339.99
2x CORSAIR XMS 8GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMX8GX3M1A1600C11 (Model:CMX8GX3M1A1600C11)
$159.98

Do you do video/media production work at all? If no, you don't need that CPU or that much ram. You could get away with a 4670K, motherboard and 8gig of ram for much cheaper - as a bonus the Haswell GPU isn't terrabad for gaming so you'd be able to do some stuff while you save up for a GPU.

Addnan

The MSI G41 is an entry level motherboard correct?Can't find much info on it, but to be on the safe side I would spend the little extra and get the G45 gaming.

Do you do video/media production work at all? If no, you don't need that CPU or that much ram. You could get away with a 4670K, motherboard and 8gig of ram for much cheaper - as a bonus the Haswell GPU isn't terrabad for gaming so you'd be able to do some stuff while you save up for a GPU.

Okay I figured as much about that bundle being overkill.

Which Haswell GPU are you referring to btw? Sorry.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Swapped some parts round a bit, any comments before I go ahead and order?

Motherboard: ASUS P8Z77-V LK LGA 1155 Intel Z77
CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz
GPU: ZOTAC ZT-70401-10P GeForce GTX 760
Ram: CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB)
SSD: SAMSUNG 840 Pro Series 256GB SSD
Enclosure: Fractal Design Define R4 Black Pearl
Extra Fans: Fractal Design Silent Series R2
Monitor: Dell UltraSharp U2312HM Black 23"

Cooling, PSU, and HDD are all already taken care of.

One questions I asked earlier but wasn't answered (or I didn't see it) is if Haswell is a better choice than Ivy Bridge if I'm not going to overclock, and cooling is a bigger priority than clockspeed.

kennah

One questions I asked earlier but wasn't answered (or I didn't see it) is if Haswell is a better choice than Ivy Bridge if I'm not going to overclock, and cooling is a bigger priority than clockspeed.

If you aren't overclocking then you don't need a K series processor or a Z77 motherboard. If you aren't overclocking then you may as well go Haswell. It's heat issues are only apparent when overclocking.
If you want to save a few bucks, you could get the regular 840 instead of the PRO.

mkenyon

Banned
Swap monitor for ASUS VG248QE. You don't really need an extra fan. You play Dota 2, so you most certainly *should* overclock.

My testing on Dota 2 performance using a 3570K w/ 7970 doing increments of 200MHz.

Anything Source based is going to have significant differences with processor speeds and IPC.

Which ones in particular I can give you feedback while memory is fresh

I'm having trouble remembering exactly what the issues were that were brought up, I think it was mainly the lack of filters on the intake fans, and the lack of really good utilisation of the non-motherboard chamber, should have had spaces to mount more HDDs and the like.

You and other guys bringing this case up has kinda reignited my desire to have one though...

Have been wanting something less fuckoff huge and heavy than my FT02 because I move my PC around semi-regularly, and it seems that with this case I wouldn't lose out on the fantastic direct airflow I get with my FT02, but I would get better cable management and a smaller size. Easier than the Prodigy I've been considering, since I wouldn't need to get a new motherboard as well.

Haly

If you aren't overclocking then you don't need a K series processor or a Z77 motherboard. If you aren't overclocking then you may as well go Haswell. It's heat issues are only apparent when overclocking.
Noted. I'll switch to a 4670 then.
If you want to save a few bucks, you could get the regular 840 instead of the PRO.
Isn't the regular 840 only 120 GB?
Swap monitor for ASUS VG248QE.
Noted and switched.
You don't really need an extra fan. You play Dota 2, so you most certainly *should* overclock.

My testing on Dota 2 performance using a 3570K w/ 7970 doing increments of 200MHz.

Anything Source based is going to have significant differences with processor speeds and IPC.
This is not for me but a friend. My current processor is a 3570k oc'd to 4.4Ghz. The reason I don't want to overclock this new build is because I might not be available for tech support and my friend is afraid of tinkering with computers. The extra fan is because her room is very hot during the summer so I think a little extra cooling couldn't hurt, unless you mean it really won't make a difference.

mkenyon

Banned
Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Well, monitor suggestion still stands. :p

Swap out mobo/proc as suggested by Kennah since it won't be OC'd.

120Hz is next gen. I get the subjective desire for a 1440p IPS panel, but if we're talking 1080p here, the VG248QE is a no brainer.

Haly

God, I really want a 1440p panel as well but at the current price...

And I was going to hop on the cheap korean panel bandwagon a year earlier but I was leery about the build quality.

mkenyon

Banned
144/120hz. Since you play Dota, I really really suggest you try it. It's painful to play any sort of competitive game like that without it for me. Heck, using my monitors here at work feels all choppy and gross.

Haly

144/120hz. Since you play Dota, I really really suggest you try it. It's painful to play any sort of competitive game like that without it for me. Heck, using my monitors here at work feels all choppy and gross.

I am also looking to upgrade my monitor incidentally so I'll probably be buying two ASUS VG248QE in this shipment.

Good timing!

These Z87 boards look... unreliable to say the least.

Honey Bunny

Oooh, this is pretty much identical to the build I'm eyeing. If you don't mind, what did you choose for cooling and PSU?

Addnan

Oooh, this is pretty much identical to the build I'm eyeing. If you don't mind, what did you choose for cooling and PSU?
We can all help with that. What's your budget?

For CPU get the Coolermaster Hyper 212 EVO. PSU, BP550 or Seasonic G series are all good.

Haly

Cooling is Coolermaster 212 EVO Hyper blah blah blah whatever.
PSU is Antec Earthwatts 650W, a part I already had lying around unopened so I saw no reason to buy a new one.
Regular 840 goes to 500GB, new 840 EVO to 1TB.

Oooh, thanks (and kennah as well). They never showed up when I searched for them, I guess they were buried at the bottom of the page or something.

What is the difference between the 7TD250BW and the 7TD250KW?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom