• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 2. Haswell = #IntelnoTIM, but free online. READ THE OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kennah

FS: MSI GeForce GTX560 Ti 1 GB DDR5 TWIN FROZR II OC. RMAd this video card for a faulty fan and they shipped me back a new one. The warrenty is still active on this card. $85 shipped.

WP_20130822_001_zps5e203328.jpg

WP_20130822_005_zpsbb36f5c6.jpg

WP_20130822_003_zps6e9fed4a.jpg
Decent budget card in the BST thread.

LCGeek

formerly sane
144/120hz. Since you play Dota, I really really suggest you try it. It's painful to play any sort of competitive game like that without it for me. Heck, using my monitors here at work feels all choppy and gross.

I cannot unsee how choppy the mouse is 60hz anymore especially when you twitch it.

mkenyon

Banned
Moving from a single 460 to 670 SLI, anything over the reference clock is just icing on the cake.

Now I'm just waiting to pick up a trio of BenQ XL2420T 2.0s, or are there better options available?
ASUS VG248QE

*edit*

Though, it'll be pretty hard to push decent frames with that resolution on two 670s in the more graphically intensive games.

ASUS VG248QE

*edit*

Though, it'll be pretty hard to push decent frames with that resolution on two 670s in the more graphically intensive games.

Ah, I was going to go for the BenQ because they're usually a ton cheaper than the Asus here, but the VG248QE seems to be on sale at the moment so I'll jump on those.

The monitors are mainly for work purposes, but I'm content with lowering some settings/switching to single screen when gaming.
If Maxwell/Volcanic turn out to attractive I'll pick something up and give the 670s to my brother.

Cheers.

Azulsky

I'm having trouble remembering exactly what the issues were that were brought up, I think it was mainly the lack of filters on the intake fans, and the lack of really good utilisation of the non-motherboard chamber, should have had spaces to mount more HDDs and the like.

You and other guys bringing this case up has kinda reignited my desire to have one though...

Have been wanting something less fuckoff huge and heavy than my FT02 because I move my PC around semi-regularly, and it seems that with this case I wouldn't lose out on the fantastic direct airflow I get with my FT02, but I would get better cable management and a smaller size. Easier than the Prodigy I've been considering, since I wouldn't need to get a new motherboard as well.

Well I can sorta give rationale.

5.25 bays are still useful for fan controllers albeit you have to get one that doesn't look dorky sideways. You also have stuff like card readers.

much of the space is worst case scenario. You can fit huge power supplies like the ax1200. They also still have space to run wires comfortably with that big psu to quad sli, 2 5.25 bays and 4 ssds in the back cage.

I prefer the reduced length and height more than the added width(13''). And by cutting down the space of the area getting air cooled ontop of easy cable management those cfms on your fans count for even more.

And with the huge case window you get a nice view of all the fun bits

No Love

Banned
ASUS VG248QE

*edit*

I was running Crysis 3 maxed out (with some tweaks) at 1440p at 60 FPS almost locked on two OC'd SLI 670's. 670's will hit 1.2 Ghz core no problem and will rip through most games. I think they only have trouble with Metro Last Light at 1440p~. Then again, even 780 SLI's have trouble with that.

Azulsky

I was running Crysis 3 maxed out (with some tweaks) at 1440p at 60 FPS almost locked on two OC'd SLI 670's. 670's will hit 1.2 Ghz core no problem and will rip through most games. I think they only have trouble with Metro Last Light at 1440p~. Then again, even 780 SLI's have trouble with that.

Metro doesnt scale well with SLI iirc

mkenyon

Banned
1440p with 16.7ms frametimes =/= 5760x1080 with 8.3ms frametimes

[snob voice]60FPS locked is *soooooo* last gen[/snob voice]

In my Tri-SLI 670 setup, I couldn't get my cards past 1188.

Azulsky

Is upgrading from a GTX 580 to a GTX 780 worth it or should I wait for 800 series? I game at 1920x1080.

I skimmed a few bench sites. Looks like roughly 2x performance depending on title. That is a perfectly justifiable margin to upgrade for me

So, I was planning on picking up a PS4 at launch, but my friend convinced me to just stick with my PC. Just to get ready for BF4, Arma 3, and some other games, I plan on doing a bit of an upgrade. My friend will be selling his Radeon 6950 soon. Along with upping the RAM to 16gb (since it's relatively cheap to do so), I'd like to add my friend's 6950 to my set up for Crossfire support. I game with one monitor at 1920x1080. Is it worth the $150 investment for the second 6950?

My specs: AMD FX-4100 @4.03GHz / 8GB DDR3 RAM / Radeon 6950 (Normal Clocks) / Corsair TX850M 850W / Antec 900 Case / 128 GB SSD, 64 GB SSD, 500GB HDD

Jeb

So I'm back at wiring my computer, didn't watch the video yet but I'm about to but in between I thought I might ask some questions.

First of all, there are wires already sticking out of the PSU, two for the mother board with one of them being long, the other is small and is plugged in at the edge.
The third one is where I'm confused, it says PCIE and from what I know its stuff like the graphics card, however on the edge it has two slots sticking out from two sides, my graphics card has two slots and I could only stick it in one of them.

ucY3tQQ.jpg

What am I supposed to do?
Is the empty slot on the graphics card for the fans and should be plugged in separately?, I'm using a Gigabyte with windforce which is advertised as some kind of super fan.

Second

For some of the wiring I noticed the Seasonic powersupply has a ton of extensions which I plugged into power supply then into the sata drives and the fans, but there are multiple sockets sticking out from these, is this normal? and I do not have to plug in each one right?
Also, even though there are wires already sticking out of the PSU says CPU and the PCIE, there is another slot for the power supply.
I already plugged in the wires for the power supply onto the motherboard and as you saw in the first picture, I think I did for the graphics card, although if the other slot really is for the fans maybe I need to plug something in there...
Your thoughts about this?
CagryYb.jpg

Also, as you can see, there is this slot called Peripherals, I put the wires to my fan in there, will that be an issue?

Third, there is some wires from the case to the motherboard, one of which is for the Audio which was easy to connect, however, there is a wire sticking out of it saying AC97 and I can't find a slot for it.
EGBbZ6O.jpg

This is how the bottom of my mother looks like, its a very blurry though, but can you tell me if you could notice anywhere it might be?
xuhvZh8.jpg

kennah

So I'm back at wiring my computer, didn't watch the video yet but I'm about to but in between I thought I might ask some questions.

First of all, there are wires already sticking out of the PSU, two for the mother board with one of them being long, the other is small and is plugged in at the edge.
The third one is where I'm confused, it says PCIE and from what I know its stuff like the graphics card, however on the edge it has two slots sticking out from two sides, my graphics card has two slots and I could only stick it in one of them.

ucY3tQQ.jpg

What am I supposed to do?
Is the empty slot on the graphics card for the fans and should be plugged in separately?, I'm using a Gigabyte with windforce which is advertised as some kind of super fan.

Second

For some of the wiring I noticed the Seasonic powersupply has a ton of extensions which I plugged into power supply then into the sata drives and the fans, but there are multiple sockets sticking out from these, is this normal? and I do not have to plug in each one right?
Also, even though there are wires already sticking out of the PSU says CPU and the PCIE, there is another slot for the power supply.
I already plugged in the wires for the power supply onto the motherboard and as you saw in the first picture, I think I did for the graphics card, although if the other slot really is for the fans maybe I need to plug something in there...
Your thoughts about this?
CagryYb.jpg

Also, as you can see, there is this slot called Peripherals, I put the wires to my fan in there, will that be an issue?

Third, there is some wires from the case to the motherboard, one of which is for the Audio which was easy to connect, however, there is a wire sticking out of it saying AC97 and I can't find a slot for it.
EGBbZ6O.jpg

This is how the bottom of my mother looks like, its a very blurry though, but can you tell me if you could notice anywhere it might be?
xuhvZh8.jpg

Ok... easy one first - the AC97 connector doesnt' plug into anything - there are two types of motherboard audio, HD audio and AC97. The two part cable is just there for compatibilty reasons.

now the harder part - there should be some 6 or 8 pin cables with your powersupply that are for plugging into your video card. It has nothing to do with fans at all. Your 670 will need both of those six pin holes powered to work. Just keep looking at the cables and there should be some that fit.

EDIT : I reread your post - those extra PCI-E connectors are for SLI/multigpu configurations - don't worry about them.

The extra connectors on your other cables are fine, they don't all need to be plugged in, just use what you have to use and stuff the rest out of the way. You're doing fine :)

EDIT 2 : Ok, that second power connector will have to go into your video card. Try swapping ports from the one that is already plugged in to get a better angle to bend it into place. Keep trying!

mkenyon

Banned
If you

A) Have the ability to go to PAX
B) Want to go to PAX
C) Do not have tickets

PM me.

Would've posted this in the PAX thread, but I like you guys and gals the most.
That's because you didn't mod the BIOS to kick the voltage up to 1.21v like I did. Brute force baby! Had 'em running at 1.25 ghz on each core.
Damn, should have definitely checked this out. One of the cards was starting to give some pretty nasty VRM popping with just the highest dynamic level though.

I miss those cards, just for the size of them. How can a PCB so small kick so much ass?

kennah

Don't worry, one of them is still well loved. (and I really wish I could have reunited the twins when the other one came up for sale again)

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Thoughts on EVGA and Gigabyte's 760s with 4GB RAM?

Yes? No? Overkill? Right now I have a Radeon HD 6950 and I'm in that "upgrade mood".

EDIT: Is this only some sort of SLI thing?

Oh, it's an improvement only for multi-monitor setups, hrm.

mkenyon

Banned
Thoughts on EVGA's and Gigabyte's 760 with 4GB RAM?

Yes? No? Overkill? Right now I have a Radeon HD 6950 and I'm in that "upgrade mood".
I'm pretty conflicted about the VRAM amount. Nothing solid that shows these cards perform any better than the 2GB variants when loaded up. But, that *might* change.

Do you play many graphic hog type games? BF4 perhaps?

I have an MSI Lightning 7970 I'll be putting up for sale shortly, fwiw.

Haly

I'm pretty conflicted about the VRAM amount. Nothing solid that shows these cards perform any better than the 2GB variants when loaded up. But, that *might* change.

No, I play like, DOTA and EVE and Civ.

I just like big numbers. It's a dick waving thing.

I'm going to do some reading on the 4GB 760s.

Haly

I have to stop posting when I mean to edit.

mkenyon

Banned
Fair enough. Sometimes you just need that rapier on SK.

760 2GB would be what you want. 770 is a decent option too. Getting a used card like the 670 or 680 would be a decent option as well. TBH, I can't remember the last time I bought a NIB video card. And I go through like 4-5 a year.

*edit*

Also, since you're a Civ guy, random rec. You need to get EUIV. I loooove Civ IV and V. Out of my steam games, I think Civ V is #2 after Dota in hours played.

EUIV makes them feel kind of like a toy in comparison. I stayed up till 1am last night playing it, 5am on Saturday. I am almost always in bed by 11.

Haly

Fair enough. Sometimes you just need that rapier on SK.
Exactly!

760 2GB would be what you want. 770 is a decent option too. Getting a used card like the 670 or 680 would be a decent option as well. TBH, I can't remember the last time I bought a NIB video card. And I go through like 4-5 a year.
I don't like buying used, it's a quirk of mine. What is "NIB"?

EDIT: Ah, I get it.

kharma45

Thoughts on EVGA and Gigabyte's 760s with 4GB RAM?

EDIT: Is this only some sort of SLI thing?

Oh, it's an improvement only for multi-monitor setups, hrm.

fwiw my opinion is still if you're gaming at 1080p on a single monitor 2GB is still a perfectly acceptable amount of VRAM. Many games now are scaling dynamically based on how much you have, hence why BF3 is equally playable on a 1GB 7850 as it is on a 2GB model. There is no point us in some ways trying to guess the future, recommend what is best now and be happy with it. Any game coming out in the next year will still have been created with the ~2GB average VRAM amount and beyond that who only knows? Next gen consoles might well push up VRAM usage a bit but I personally don't see it drastically spiking for a few years yet. By the time we need 3GB+ the cards we have now will likely need replacing anyway.

Trasher

Do I need to worry about getting any extra cables or tools to piece my machine together? Or should everything I need already be included with the parts I've ordered?

mkenyon

Banned
Do I need to worry about getting any extra cables or tools to piece my machine together? Or should everything I need already be included with the parts I've ordered?
You'll just need a phillips driver set, and that's about it. All the cables you need and a few extra fans were included in the shipment :p

Azulsky

There is no difference in gaming performance on any of the models that come with > stock VRAM.

They dont have the memory bus to handle the extra and they dont have the shader units to do computing with the additional data.

kharma45

If you've a magnetic screwdriver btw it's handy as fuck. If I had a quid for every time I dropped a screw in a case when I'm building PCs I'd have a Titan by now.

mkenyon

Banned
There is no difference in gaming performance on any of the models that come with > stock VRAM.

They dont have the memory bus to handle the extra and they dont have the shader units to do computing with the additional data.
There are a few exceptions, and texture/graphical mods is the main one. I've seen some anecdotes about Bioshock: Infinite that are pretty convincing. The last thing is that those games that dynamically scale VRAM, like BF3, actually look better. It will give you higher resolution textures and a further view distance.
If you've a magnetic screwdriver btw it's handy as fuck. If I had a quid for every time I dropped a screw in a case when I'm building PCs I'd have a Titan by now.
This.

Trasher

Just keep it away from hard drives right?! *can't help but think of the magnet scene from BB*

Anton668

If I had a quid for every time I dropped a screw in a case when I'm building PCs...

cripes, I wish mine would land in the case! mine always seem to find the nearest vent/wormhole/dimensional rift/whatever...

There are a few exceptions, and texture/graphical mods is the main one. I've seen some anecdotes about Bioshock: Infinite that are pretty convincing. The last thing is that those games that dynamically scale VRAM, like BF3, actually look better. It will give you higher resolution textures and a further view distance.

B:I has gone over 2gb a number of times on my 7970. not by much, maybe 200 or so. never near the 3gb I have, but it has gone over...

kharma45

B:I has gone over 2gb a number of times on my 7970. not by much, maybe 200 or so. never near the 3gb I have, but it has gone over...

I imagine again it's one of those games that can dynamically scale for VRAM. I know this is FPS data mkenyon but again, it's all we have for this. Here we see GPUs like the 770, 670 and 680 (I presume they'll be the 2GB variants) all beating the 7970 http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/evga_geforce_gtx_770_sc_review,10.html

and here again in this review they're all relatively the same http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/2013/05/31/nvidia-geforce-gtx-770-2gb-review/4 - Even at 5,760 x 1,080 there isn't much in it. I still prefer the 7970 mind over the 770, extra VRAM is nice to have just incase.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom