• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 2. Haswell = #IntelnoTIM, but free online. READ THE OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mkenyon

Banned
I'm actually pretty interested in Kaveri. It does support hUMA. The thing that piqued my interest is that there have already been *enthusiast* quality motherboards announced for FM2+. With FM1, FM2, and even AM3+, the motherboard offerings were humble at best. The AM3+ did get a Crosshair V, but that was about it.

Gigabyte announced a G1.Sniper FM2+ board.

900x900px-LL-f7b646ce_G1_SNIPER_A88X.jpeg

Tenuous bit of data, I know, but I'm wondering if Gigabyte thinks people will be shelling out enthusiast level $ for an FM2+ motherboard, maybe the processors have something special in terms of gaming performance.

Coldsnap

Anyone play Amnesia on the Ben Q 120hz monitor? I think the picture on the Ben Q is decent for a $300 LED monitor, but it's having a real hard time with the blacks on Amnesia. Maybe this is just LED gaming, been using a Plasma for 4 or so years solely now.

Xisiqomelir

I'd just like to warn everyone in here that MSI are scam artists when it comes to rebates.

Everyone is scam artists when it comes to rebates. I've attempted maybe seven over the years, and none worked out. I just buy stuff at the lowest actual retail price and save the headache.

I hope your situation works out, and have a commiserative "fuck the bastards" from me!

AlexMogil

Lets see... Brand new build from scratch....

4x4gb Corsair 2133 Ram
i5 4670K Haswell Proc
Gigabyte G1 Sniper M5

Correct combo? Just want to do gaming, really.

I don't plan on overclocking... Is stock fan ok?

I haven't totally decided on a monitor but that Asus 3D monitor intrigues me for the novelty... If I go that route should I use an Nvidia video card since the 3D monitor uses Nvidia tech?

~Kinggi~

Banned
Just wanted to say im fighting an epic energy-draining fight at my job. I've used all ive learned from here, and have been tasked with building a custom PC for everyone that works at my job (40 or so, its literally a gift, mainly used to help run an internal product we are developing). Thing is, powers that be want really tiny form factors, which means shitty components. We require certain components be there which forces the size to increase. Im aware of the really tiny high-end guys. Anyway, its just been really draining, cause i want to get these people a beast and my boss has the money and wants to be generous, but certain other folk are against it for crazy ass reasons. It melts my mind. As of today im winning, but because we are doing a bulk order there are a lot of variables and spending 60k is a big decision. If i can pull this off i will consider it one of my great successes. Wish me the lucks.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
Just wanted to say im fighting an epic energy-draining fight at my job. I've used all ive learned from here, and have been tasked with building a custom PC for everyone that works at my job (40 or so, its literally a gift, mainly used to help run an internal product we are developing). Thing is, powers that be want really tiny form factors, which means shitty components. We require certain components be there which forces the size to increase. Im aware of the really tiny high-end guys. Anyway, its just been really draining, cause i want to get these people a beast and my boss has the money and wants to be generous, but certain other folk are against it for crazy ass reasons. It melts my mind. As of today im winning, but because we are doing a bulk order there are a lot of variables and spending 60k is a big decision. If i can pull this off i will consider it one of my great successes. Wish me the lucks.
I have no idea what you're talking about but good luck!

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
yea, your gonna need a new mobo if you wanna upgrade your cpu

I'm pretty sure for that socket that is the best cpu
Well then I hope the videocard is the only thing holding me back from the kind of performance I want for now, because I'm not building a new PC for maybe 2 more years.

Haku

Neo Member
I think I might have a problem with my Western Digital Black 1TB. Whenever I'm playing music, my hard drive freezes randomly for 10 or so seconds. It happens every 30 or so minutes when I'm listening to music. It also happens when I'm playing games during the loading screens. The computer will freeze for 10 or so seconds (the loading music will completely stop in some games) and then resume normally 10 seconds later.

I've tested my drive with the Data Lifeguard Diagnostic for Windows. It passes the quick test and I'm currently testing the extended test. I've been busy so I haven't necessarily had the time to explore all possibilities.

Any ideas of what's going on?

Edit: Passed the extended test. I've never had a problem like this with my past WD drives. Is this common to the Black drives?
If your OS is running on the SSD, as it should, it will send your HDD to hibernate if it is inactive. Then, when a programm is accessing the HDD, the whole system has that annoying freeze until the HDD spins up and reads that data. Your music-player seems to buffer half an hour and whenever it needs to read files again, it freezes your system by waking up your HDD: Playing around in the energy-saving-options is your best bet here.
I've tried shutting off every energy saving option related to the HDD, and it still has the annoying freezing during gaming and music playback. Do you think I might have a defective drive? I've passed multiple HDD test, so I think it's either a setting in Windows or a defective driver. I did encounter a BSOD while gaming yesterday with the WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR (Windows 8).

Any thoughts?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I'm generally using the official twitch guide to streaming with obs, the obs help file, and the obs website estimator to determine my settings. I'm using 3500 bit rate since that's the highest Twitch recommends and I've read that it's discouraged to go higher than that, especially with non-partners like myself. I've streamed once, but that was when my channel was set to private. I'm fairly happy with the results. I do need to get some other equipment like a mic, a new headset and son on. What's your Twitch channel if I can ask? I'll follow you. I'm @ http://www.twitch.tv/costanzathemage
PM'd
Decided to make a trip down to Microcenter because Newegg got me my shit really quickly. herewego.gif
That is a ton of good shit. Enjoy. Hopefully the Seidon install isn't too bad.
Are there any fast HDD's that can handle recording uncompressed 720p video? Not essential, but would be nice. Apart from that, any just generally good HDD's?
Do you know the MB/s for that?
7200RPM drives have around 100-120MB/s average write speed now, often people will just RAID 0 two of these for RAW video capture.

Oh my god. I am at wit's end. I think something is wrong with my gfx card or some shit, but I don't know.

So I got my new CPU and mobo installed... got the computer up and running... here's my PC:

GPU: GTX 660 Ti (3GB) w/ 320.49 driver (latest WHQL)
CPU: Core i5-4670K @ 3.40GHz
RAM: 12GB RAM
Mobo: MSI Z87-G45

According to tomshardware (http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-660-ti-benchmark-review,3279-9.html) he ran a GTX 660ti on Skyrim at an average of 80fps on Ultra 16x AF, 8x MSAA. (They used a Intel Core i7-3960X (Sandy Bridge-E), 3.3 GHz, Six Cores, LGA 2011, 15 MB Shared L3 Cache, Hyper-Threading enabled, Overclocked to 4.2 GHz for CPU, but that seems beside the point to me right now because my CPU is not getting challenged by this game right now).

So I decide to give Skyrim a try, right? Well, it still runs like shit -- about the same speed as it did before I replaced the CPU and mobo. Fuck!

I'm not running it with any mods. I've only done a few .ini tweaks that are supposed to actually IMPROVE performance. Also I'm only running at High settings, not Ultra. I turned down AF to 8x, only 2x MSAA, etc. But nothing is helping much... here's what I'm getting, though, from a Performance Monitor I installed:

pNMp3RT.png

Basically, the GPU is sitting at 99% usage constantly, and my FPS is sitting around a shitty 15-20fps or so. The sudden dip in the gpu usage bar is from when I went through a loading screen. It jumped right back up when it loaded the environment, as you see. The framerate increases dramatically if I can get the GPU off of 99% usage (which I did about 75% through there, when I zoomed into a wall and just looked at it... lol).

The only way I get it to run at 40fps-60fps is if I drop things to medium or lower and turn off most settings (and only stay indoors), which is ridiculous for this gfx card if I'm not mistaken. Especially since my older gfx card seemed to be handling this shit a lot better. I lowered the res to 1280x720 and it got me maybe 10 extra FPS... not good enough.

Any ideas on what the fuck I should do/try?
Also, if you want to see a PCmark test I ran, it's here: http://i.imgur.com/VjEERwD.jpg

Is it only in this game?

Try a older driver or the new beta driver.

Dishonored runs at 20fps at 1920x1200.
DOTA2 runs at 24fps at 1920x1200. Runs at around 35-40fps at 1280x800.

All terrible performances.

I actually started my Skyrim tests with the absolute latest beta drivers and went down to the current ones when the performance was so bad. Not sure how far back I should go with drivers... I'll see if I can find anything about a good one.

edit: Tried the 314.22 driver from March. Same shitty performance.

Seanspeed

Banned
OCUK also currently have the 670 Power Edition at £162. Which is just insane.
Isn't the performance difference between the 680 OC and 670 PE almost negligible?
At 33% less than the already great 680 deal, I think I might pick up a few to replace my not so trusty 460.
Jesus the price dropped quickly on that 670 PE. Was £250 just a little over a month ago. Dropped down to £210 which was already a great price. And now £162? Holy shit. BUY this people.

Also the 670PE is about as powerful as a reference 680.

Addnan

Dishonored runs at 20fps at 1920x1200.
DOTA2 runs at 24fps at 1920x1200. Runs at around 35-40fps at 1280x800.

All terrible performances.

I actually started my Skyrim tests with the absolute latest beta drivers and went down to the current ones when the performance was so bad. Not sure how far back I should go with drivers... I'll see if I can find anything about a good one.

edit: Tried the 314.22 driver from March. Same shitty performance.
Can you just make sure your screen is set to 60hz in the nvidia control panel, I know small thing, but my screen defaults to 25hz weirdly.

Apart from that I really don't know. I'll let someone else post diagnosis steps.

Can you just make sure your screen is set to 60hz in the nvidia control panel, I know small thing, but my screen defaults to 25hz weirdly.

Apart from that I really don't know. I'll let someone else post diagnosis steps.

Yeah, it's at 60hz.... :\

Thanks for the help either way. Hopefully somebody has some other suggestions :)

Btw, took a snap of my GPU-Z readout:

1R5ui68.png

Is the fact that the bus interface is running at x8 instead of x16 a problem? How do I fix that if so?

Addnan

Thanks for the help either way. Hopefully somebody has some other suggestions :)

1R5ui68.png

Is the fact that the bus interface is running at x8 instead of x16 a problem? How do I fix that if so?

Keep an eye on that when you GPU is under load or just click on that little question mark and hit start render test it should kick up to 3.0

Why isn't the GA-Z87X-D3H recommended in the OP? Would it be good for a 4670k 4.5ghz OC?

If you get lucky with a decent chip sure, but many have bad luck with Haswell and sometimes the overclock caps of earlier no matter how good the motherboard.

Keep an eye on that when you GPU is under load or just click on that little question mark and hit start render test it should kick up to 3.0

How long should that take? I tried it a minute ago and it didn't change... and just tried it now for a full minute and it didn't change. The window said within a few seconds so I'm thinking the GPU is being throttled in some way (somehow), which would line up with the problems earlier.

Mad Max

How long should that take? I tried it a minute ago and it didn't change... and just tried it now for a full minute and it didn't change. The window said within a few seconds so I'm thinking the GPU is being throttled in some way (somehow), which would line up with the problems earlier.

Should happen instantly. Check if the GPU is in the right slot and if there are any bios settings related to PCI-e that are set incorrectly.

kharma45

This is my motherboard.

What is the best CPU I can upgrade to? Right now I have this,

Not much. Your best bet is to either overclock what you have or just save up and go from scratch.

Parts have started to arrive (case, hard drive, monitor)!

Holy shit. This Node is so friggin tiny!

PICS PICS PICS.

Yes, even at this early stage :p

I'm actually pretty interested in Kaveri. It does support hUMA. The thing that piqued my interest is that there have already been *enthusiast* quality motherboards announced for FM2+. With FM1, FM2, and even AM3+, the motherboard offerings were humble at best. The AM3+ did get a Crosshair V, but that was about it.

Gigabyte announced a G1.Sniper FM2+ board.

900x900px-LL-f7b646ce_G1_SNIPER_A88X.jpeg

Tenuous bit of data, I know, but I'm wondering if Gigabyte thinks people will be shelling out enthusiast level $ for an FM2+ motherboard, maybe the processors have something special in terms of gaming performance.

Just a pity Kaveri is still fairly far away.

I currently have an i5 3330, 8gb ram and r6770 2gb ddr3. I'm looking into upgrading my gpu to a r7850 or gtx 650 ti boost sc 2 gb ddr5. I'm trying to stay around $175 for the gpu because I'll have to upgrade my psu as well. The antec vp450 from the op looks like it may work for my system. However, the antec bp550 plus and xfx 550 core are tempting in case I want to upgrade the gpu again later.

I would like to play games (such as batman arkham origins, battlefield 3, bioshock infinite) at medium to high settings. I have two concerns before I upgrade. First, do I need to worry about the i5 bottlenecking the gpu? Second, will the antec vp450 be sufficient for the system or should I get one of the larger power supplies?

Thanks.

What PSU do you have at present?

OCUK also currently have the 670 Power Edition at £162. Which is just insane.
Isn't the performance difference between the 680 OC and 670 PE almost negligible?
At 33% less than the already great 680 deal, I think I might pick up a few to replace my not so trusty 460.

Please stahp. I can't do this. I told myself my 7850 would tide me over until the new AMD cards launch :(

Should happen instantly. Check if the GPU is in the right slot and if there are any bios settings related to PCI-e that are set incorrectly.

Definitely the right slot... I refit the card into it again, no change though. I looked around the BIOS and didn't see anything, though the manual says there are three "operating modes" for the three PCI-E slots... 16x/0x/0x (what I want), x8/x8/x0, and x8/x4/x4.

Not sure how to change that though. For now I'm using LiveUpdate to try and update the BIOS and see if that fixes anything.

Of course, I'm pretty sure this is beside the point of my graphics card performing so damn poorly.

Li Kao

I have a pretty annoying problem with my rig but don't know if it's the right place to ask. If troubleshooting is not ok here, please disregard my post, don't want to derail or anything.

So I have a nice little setup (2-3 years old) :
Asus P8P67LE
Intel core i5-2500k
GeForce GTX 560ti
8go DDR-3

No problem for some years, but someday I begun to experience a very annoying one. I noticed it some time after upgrading to windows 8 but this might be totally unrelated.
In short I have those weird video card crashs. When browsing the web, I regularly experience a short system freeze (1-3 seconds) and then windows is back to normal with a message on the lower right saying the display driver was not responding and had to be recovered. Seems to be called a live kernel event in the maintenance center.
The funny part is, one could think my video card to be on the way out, but I never experienced any crash or freeze during a game session ! The dirty little issue keeps happening when I'm gently browsing the web, which is to say 99% of my fucking free time. The problem can happen several times a day, and in the most extreme cases, rare ones, it leads to a BSOD. So yeah, a big issue as I said.

I'm on the last geforce beta driver, have the last version of Firefox, spybot immunization, malwarebyte / windows defender finds nothing, and RogueKiller, well I'm not tech savvy enough to use that but it doesn't automatically redirects me to a known malware web page.

gribbles

Banned
So I'm still using the 314.22 drivers. How are the new 326.80 beta drivers? They stable and working fine no problems, or should I stick with my current drivers?

Can you control the Noctua D14's fans?

Nope, they come with non-PWM fans. You can attach an included ULNA adapter to choose between high and low RPM settings, but you can't control them from the motherboard like maany PSM fans.

Unless things have changed in the last 12 months.

News Bot

Banned
Is a 840 Pro (or an EVO) out of your budget? I use two (OS and scratch) for a fair amount of uncompressed video and motion graphics work - cannot recommend them enough.

840's are out of my budget when it comes to bigger space, which is pretty vital with uncompressed video, haha.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
quick question, how far can you typically take a 2500k without messing with voltages?
Like anyone would know, clock that sucker up.

1R5ui68.png

First thing that stands out to me is the 1.1 (Not sure if that's low power mode or GPU-Z reading)
I'd update your drivers and swap the card to another PCI-E slot (Even if it's 8x it won't matter).

Also just PM me and I'll come over to help.
840's are out of my budget when it comes to bigger space, which is pretty vital with uncompressed video, haha.
What some people do is record to SSDs, then move the data off, but that depends how long your clips are going to be so that they fit on the SSD.

Azulsky

Like anyone would know, clock that sucker up.

First thing that stands out to me is the 1.1 (Not sure if that's low power mode or GPU-Z reading)

It is either the system or the card slowing down the pcie link

run something to make it come back up to 3.0

Lanbeast

That is a ton of good shit. Enjoy. Hopefully the Seidon install isn't too bad.

I should have taken a picture but I the Seidon was what conquered me last night. Gonna finish the build this evening. It would have taken like 3 minutes to put together and mount, but there is a little black knob type thing next to the tubes on the radiator, and it gets in the way on a Phantom 410 so the holes don't line up. It's impossible to mount the radiator on top of the case. I ended up just mounting it on the inside and mounted the two 120mm's on the top of the case.

In the end maybe it's how it should have worked anyway, but I assumed the rad would be on top. I'll post pics tonight.

Doopliss

I'm looking to get my first SSD. Done a bunch of research and as far as I can tell my best options are a Kingston V300 120GB or a Sandisk Ultra Plus 128GB. They're both just a little over £70 on Amazon. Anyone have thoughts on which I should go with? (Or another suggestion?)

I don't really have any special uses intended for it, just gonna do a clean install of Windows 7 on there and probably Ubuntu, then work out what I want to do with the rest of the space as I go along. My motherboard only supports SATA2 but I'm sure I'll still want to use the drive in my next system build, whenever that will be.

Tensketch

I'm after some advice for PC cases. Specifically a desktop case.

Basically, after putting my PC together, I have enough parts of my old machine (which is still pretty good) to build a second machine. So I'm thinking about building a living room PC.

However, the issue is, that I bought the CPU overclocked so it comes with a massive aftermarket fan. So those tiny awesome HTPC cases wont cut it. So I'm thinking a midi case essentially put on it's side, like a desktop case that you get in offices etc.

Any suggestions?

Quick question: Is there any way to get rid of texture blur when using SSAA in RadeonPro? I tried almost everything, including manually adjusting LOD bias, but textures just seem a whole lot crisper when SSAA is off.

RubenCordeiro

Neo Member

Basically, after putting my PC together, I have enough parts of my old machine (which is still pretty good) to build a second machine. So I'm thinking about building a living room PC.

However, the issue is, that I bought the CPU overclocked so it comes with a massive aftermarket fan. So those tiny awesome HTPC cases wont cut it. So I'm thinking a midi case essentially put on it's side, like a desktop case that you get in offices etc.

Any suggestions?

Maybe the Coolermaster HAF xb? It's not the most discrete and classy case out there, but I love the form factor:

link to official page

Please stahp. I can't do this. I told myself my 7850 would tide me over until the new AMD cards launch :(
And I told myself the 460 would serve as a temporary card until I could jump in at the high end of the next series, or the next series... or the next.
I got sick of waiting and this was too good to pass up. 670 PE SLI here we come.

Any suggestions?
What parts from your old machine do you want to reuse?
If the mobo is ITX, nothing's stopping you from spending a few bucks on a nice low-profile heatsink and getting an ITX case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom