• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 2. Haswell = #IntelnoTIM, but free online. READ THE OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Azulsky

Great build. Did you try the H100i with the stock fans?

Did not get a chance to. They work very well on H80i's I have installed for friends/family though. Basically just SP120 but higher RPM so louder.

I am recycling my old computer parts to a friend so they are both going on that H50 now.

kennah

I just put my stock h100 fans on a hyper 212 in a friends computer but am using noctua voltage limiters to keep them quiet.

Yep. Frankensteining this all the way.

Willectro

Banned
Did not get a chance to. They work very well on H80i's I have installed for friends/family though. Basically just SP120 but higher RPM so louder.

I am recycling my old computer parts to a friend so they are both going on that H50 now.

Interesting, thanks. Please post impressions when you get the U3014.

maneil99

Hm, debating what to do, new 3570k with D14 hits 74c at 4.6ghz/1,216v in 20 minutes Prime. Still not sure if its stable but considering no BSODs worst come to worst I get whea errors and bump it up to 1.22-1.23v, still alot better them my last two chips (4.4/1.356v and 4.5/1.288)

Debating, go down to 4.5@1.17 for summer, 4.6 for winter. 4.7 Seems doable but I'd like to keep under 80c prime. What do you guys think. Its 23c @ 9pm so I might be hitting at 80c soon. Hoping to keep in game temps under 65c

Azulsky

Hm, debating what to do, new 3570k with D14 hits 74c at 4.6ghz/1,216v in 20 minutes Prime. Still not sure if its stable but considering no BSODs worst come to worst I get whea errors and bump it up to 1.22-1.23v, still alot better them my last two chips (4.4/1.356v and 4.5/1.288)

Debating, go down to 4.5@1.17 for summer, 4.6 for winter. 4.7 Seems doable but I'd like to keep under 80c prime. What do you guys think

Run the 1hr test

maneil99

Run the 1hr test

Yea I leave for work soon, going to do a 14 hour blend test. Ram is at XMP so I'll leave the memory to default.

4.5 GHZ summer and 4.6 winter seems like the best way to go. Maybe when I get a bigger case and better airflow I'll debate 4.7

Thoughts?

hwateber

Okay this is going to sound sort of silly, but when I was switching out my graphics card the other day and my computer would only boot with HD 4000 graphics, I disabled the HD 4000 in the device manager. It turns out my card just wasn't seated properly. Now I'd like to enable HD4000 again so that I can use quick sync in OBS, but I don't see an option to enable it in device manager anymore! Ugh

Alright, I recently got this device Link for my desktop PC since the Ethernet speeds here are poor compared to the school's wifi speeds. The device works but I don't get anywhere near the speed, I do with my laptop 50Mbps vs 10Mbps. Is there anything I can do to try and get better performance out of it, or is there something else that I could purchase that would be better?

Am I doing something wrong with crossfire?

I have 600W PSU, 2x 2GB 7850, core i5 2400 @ 3.6GHz, 16gb ram, 128gb ssd, etc..

Nearly all games I get better performance disabling crossfire and running just a single card.

CS:GO I get 40FPS on some maps in 1080p
BF3 hard locks at end of a round forcing me to power off
Splinter Cell Blacklist wont even detect second GPU
The Bureau XCOM runs like dog shit

Running Windows 8 with 13.8 Beta 2 drivers.

kharma45

Thanks, that confirms my suspicion.

I was thinking of going with the GTX 660 Ti [2GB] video card. It's a bit over my $200 budget, but not by much [only around $50 or so]. I only have PCI-E 2.0 but it should throttle back, I'm hoping. I assume my 500W PSU should suffice, as well?

Sorry for the questions, I'm not exactly knowledgeable in the way of PC-building.

Edit - Actually, maybe a regular GTX 660 [2GB] will be good enough. It's at/near $200...

MMOs are CPU limited though, but your GPU does need replacing. I'd recommend overclocking your CPU to help it out.

For $200 Canadian you can get a 3GB 660 Ti after rebate http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=43_1200_557_559&item_id=059894

2GB model is $10 less and you also get Splinter Cell http://www.ncix.ca/products/?affili...60 TI-DC2O-2GD5&manufacture=ASUS&promoid=1336

ShadyJ

I've recently gotten rid of my 360 and its games along with a lot of my PS3 games bar exclusives and have returned to gaming on my PC after this gen off. (Steam sales..so good..)

I was primarily a PC gamer before this gen and have built all my machines from scratch, I recently built a PC about 1.5 years ago that's still rock solid I upgraded everything except my video card which I'll get into in a bit.

My build is as follows:

i7 2600k: (still up there with newer CPUs, no real advantage to replacing)

16GB Corsair Vengeance: (I also encode a lot)

120GB Corsair Solid State.

1000w Corsair PSU

Asus P8P67 Deluxe Mobo.

Asus VE278Q LED (1920x1080)

Asus 4870x2 (My weak link and the priority upgrade)

So this leads me to my question, I've netted about 1.3k in cash from my sales and would like advice on the GPU upgrade. The system besides that is still more than enough and will last a while more.

Should I wait for the next round of cards and buy then? Shoul go ATI again since that's what's powering the consoles? I don't want to skimp on the card I want one that will last.

Is there an advantage to gaming above 1080p on a PC besides the higher res and increased need for GPU power?

I prefer a single monitor setup as I've never needed a second one.

Addnan

Didn't ask in the other thread. Have you overclocked your CPU? Most 2600K will get to really nice speeds and give a good performance boost.

kharma45

I've recently gotten rid of my 360 and its games along with a lot of my PS3 games bar exclusives and have returned to gaming on my PC after this gen off. (Steam sales..so good..)

I was primarily a PC gamer before this gen and have built all my machines from scratch, I recently built a PC about 1.5 years ago that's still rock solid I upgraded everything except my video card which I'll get into in a bit.

My build is as follows:

i7 2600k: (still up there with newer CPUs, no real advantage to replacing)

16GB Corsair Vengeance: (I also encode a lot)

120GB Corsair Solid State.

1000w Corsair PSU

Asus P8P67 Deluxe Mobo.

Asus VE278Q LED (1920x1080)

Asus 4870x2 (My weak link and the priority upgrade)

So this leads me to my question, I've netted about 1.3k in cash from my sales and would like advice on the GPU upgrade. The system besides that is still more than enough and will last a while more.

Should I wait for the next round of cards and buy then? Shoul go ATI again since that's what's powering the consoles? I don't want to skimp on the card I want one that will last.

Is there an advantage to gaming above 1080p on a PC besides the higher res and increased need for GPU power?

I prefer a single monitor setup as I've never needed a second one.

Second monitors are godly for productivity, just getting that out there first of all.

As for your GPU, yeah AMD has new ones coming out in October but we've no real idea what they'll be like. They'll come with their usual bundle of games (by that stage it'll be stuff like Watch Dogs, BF4 and a few others) and there is a rumour that the top card will beat out a Titan but we will have to wait and see what happens. The hardware inside the consoles doesn't really matter tbh.

From what is available right now something like a 780 is the top dog in a realistic market (Titan is far too overpriced considering it's not that much better than a 780) and if your encoding is GPU accelerated you'll get a nice boost from this.

Have you overclocked your CPU by any chance?

maneil99

amd rumors point to the 9970 being 499-599 and slower then a 780 which is no suprise because its still a 28mm refresh wheras the 680-780/titan was GK104 - gk110

Amd vs nvidia means nothing. If you were upgrading the cpu it might be relevent but otherwise go for whats best

ShadyJ

Second monitors are godly for productivity, just getting that out there first of all.

As for your GPU, yeah AMD has new ones coming out in October but we've no real idea what they'll be like. They'll come with their usual bundle of games (by that stage it'll be stuff like Watch Dogs, BF4 and a few others) and there is a rumour that the top card will beat out a Titan but we will have to wait and see what happens. The hardware inside the consoles doesn't really matter tbh.

From what is available right now something like a 780 is the top dog in a realistic market (Titan is far too overpriced considering it's not that much better than a 780) and if your encoding is GPU accelerated you'll get a nice boost from this.

Have you overclocked your CPU by any chance?

To answer you and Ad no I have not. I'm running a thermalrite cooler so it should not be an issue. On my previous system I OC my E8500 to 3.6GHz which was awewome 24/7 but have lost touch with OC scene.

I know my CPU is a notoriously good Overclocker

kharma45

To answer you and Ad no I have not. I'm running a thermalrite cooler so it should not be an issue. On my previous system I OC my E8500 to 3.6GHz which was awewome 24/7 but have lost touch with OC scene.

I know my CPU is a notoriously good Overclocker

Yeah with that CPU aim for at worst say 4.3GHz and anywhere up to 5 depending on how lucky you get.

Azulsky

amd rumors point to the 9970 being 499-599 and slower then a 780 which is no suprise because its still a 28mm refresh wheras the 680-780/titan was GK104 - gk110

Amd vs nvidia means nothing. If you were upgrading the cpu it might be relevent but otherwise go for whats best

There still might be an argument for Nvidia for multi-gpu configurations.

Catalyst 13.8 was progress but they(AMD) are still catching up with frame pacing on multi-gpu from all the reviews I saw after that driver was released.

Oxn

How can this be?

A 7970 is already slower than a 780, and its a bit over 300 only.

That makes them almost the same thing. But with a 250ish price difference?

kharma45

Going to have to start reading up on it, that would be a massive push

Read up and get some info on it, doesn't hurt to fully understand what you're at. In reality all you'll really be doing is changing the voltage and changing the multiplier. You could probably get 4GHz with no change in the voltage.

ShadyJ

Read up and get some info on it, doesn't hurt to fully understand what you're at. In reality all you'll really be doing is changing the voltage and changing the multiplier. You could probably get 4GHz with no change in the voltage.

I just read a thread on anandtech saying the same thing lol, should I do it through the software or the bios?

"Change the multiplier to 40 and the vcore to 1.3, enjoy your new CPU"

What software are people using these days to stress test? Prime? Or Orthos?

Smokey

I just read a thread on anandtech saying the same thing lol

Usually an extended session of Prime.

kharma45

I just read a thread on anandtech saying the same thing lol

Prime is good enough. You can use Intel Burn Test too to really stress it but Prime is good enough.

Lanbeast

Finished building last night, but then couldn't find my USB drive and couldn't get my old HDD to boot so I didn't get to install windows yet. Everything was working according to the bios, though.

Also, I'm never ever ever doing cable management again, lol. To all of you buying currently, get a MODULAR PSU.

swsQ5j7.jpg
9TvcsCs.jpg

sBWBQEL.jpg

I'm really happy with how everything turned out, but I'll be even happier once I get it up and running and can tweak it.

Setre

Are you happy with the 580 performance? The 780 is a pretty big upgrade over the 580 either way.

I'm happy with it but I'm worried Rome 2 might push it over the edge.

I skimmed a few bench sites. Looks like roughly 2x performance depending on title. That is a perfectly justifiable margin to upgrade for me

It is to me as well but I'd want to completely upgrade my PC with a new motherboard, ram, and SSD.

ArynCrinn

Banned
EVGA Sli Pro Bridge

This is what I want also. A 4-way connector though to finish out my Titan rig in style. I filled out the promo stuff on EVGA but haven't gotten a response yet. If anything, I'll prob end up buying one 4-way and a Three and Two-way.

Meh, had to drop my clock speed on the Haswell down to 4.5GHz, I don't know what happened but all of a sudden I'm getting 88c (@4.8) playing Rise of the Triad on Ludicrous settings... And this is a closed case water cooling system, best Koolant, best everything I could afford off Koolance for the recirculating chiller. In a 68 degree office, well ventilated.

I don't know what happened. Now I'm back at 68c on nearly all cores under Prime 95 over the last 12 hours.... Should I drop OC lower, the Haswell I'm really not impressed at all in right now. My Ivy's and Sandy's did far better with heat, and I see no real performance improvement with Haswell either.

Money well spent I guess, easy come easy go.

maneil99

This is what I want also. A 4-way connector though to finish out my Titan rig in style. I filled out the promo stuff on EVGA but haven't gotten a response yet. If anything, I'll prob end up buying one 4-way and a Three and Two-way.

Meh, had to drop my clock speed on the Haswell down to 4.5GHz, I don't know what happened but all of a sudden I'm getting 88c (@4.8) playing Rise of the Triad on Ludicrous settings... And this is a closed case water cooling system, best Koolant, best everything I could afford off Koolance for the recirculating chiller. In a 68 degree office, well ventilated.

I don't know what happened. Now I'm back at 68c on nearly all cores under Prime 95 over the last 12 hours.... Should I drop OC lower, the Haswell I'm really not impressed at all in right now. My Ivy's and Sandy's did far better with heat, and I see no real performance improvement with Haswell either.

Funny this is you prob have one of the best haswells if you can hit 4.5. Anyway are you saying you hit 88c in the game and 68 in prime?

ArynCrinn

Banned
Funny this is you prob have one of the best haswells if you can hit 4.5. Anyway are you saying you hit 88c in the game and 68 in prime?

Yeah, I think my water cooling system is either not working right, or I got some fucking miracle chip from what I've been reading, or the chip is having issues. My dumbass assumed it was like the Ivy's and Sandy's and immediately pushed it to 4.8 thinking it would be nothing for this uber water system to handle... And at first I was getting solid results, hitting in the high 50's low 60's under Prime/OCCT and in the teens at idle.

All of a sudden last night I exit ROTT, and notice RealTemp reporting my lowest temp was 88c and highest was fucking 94c. So I shut the fucking thing off and rebooted into bios, reset everything to default. And then set it to 4.5GHz, which I'm running the Prime tests as we speak. But the temps so far lowest are 68c, and now it's jumped to 74c highest. And idle when I first booted was high 30's mid 40's. Which I fucking hate. I'm too used to low to mid 20's at best, mid to high 20's at worst. :\

So should I just say fuck this shit and drop it to like 4.3/4.4 (which to me is a sacrilege) because I wanted a extremely high clocked water system closed case, and I end up with a pissy 4.3GHz. Fuck Haswell. Does it even offer ANY kind of performance boost at lower clocks?

Should have listened to my roommate who hates Haswell's (was telling me they get too hot) and I should have instead just went for a crazy dual CPU LGA 2011 socket mobo, and Quad-SLIed the 780's. Unfortunately, can't do that now, still paying off this shit!

Edit: And no, I hit 88c lowest in-game at 4.8GHz, and then dropped it back to 4.5GHz and Prime was reporting 68c. Now it's 78c-80c across the board.... Fuck it, I'm shutting it down and doing a little research on the most stable OC for this chip when I wake up. I guess I just assumed the closed case water cooling would be enough to keep it on par with my other rigs heat-wise. I was wrong. But what I don't understand is why it was giving me such good temp in and out of games initially (which people were telling me was abnormal) and now it's hotter than a two pitbulls fighting in burlap sack. Maybe it's both the cooling system and the chip at this point, I don't know....

Edit #2: Since my heart was so set on a high clocked chip for this rig. Would deliddling work, can a Haswell be deliddled? Would it be better to save up more cash and go for a Vapochill (direct-to-chip) unit. http://us.hardware.info/reviews/443...l-test-overclocking-results-with-phase-change If anybody has any experience with phase change/Vapochill let me know, particularly for the Haswell.

kharma45

For 1080p gaming a sli or xfire configuration would be overkill hey?

It is and it isn't, all depends on what you demand as acceptable performance. You're generally always better off with one good single card than going for a multi GPU set up imo.

kharma45

Four Titans and a 4.8 Haswell? Still waiting on pictures.

I'm adding the pieces to my machine as they arrive, but can someone tell me what this is?

I found it lying around my house. The shape of the front makes me assume it fits into one of the PCI slots, but if I do that, the text is upside down. I'm assuming it's for plugging external eSATA hard drives into your machine, so I figure the SATA cables go into any of the ones on the motherboard, but what about the power supply? Will my PSU have a cable that plugs into that?

Azulsky

I found it lying around my house. The shape of the front makes me assume it fits into one of the PCI slots, but if I do that, the text is upside down. I'm assuming it's for plugging external eSATA hard drives into your machine, so I figure the SATA cables go into any of the ones on the motherboard, but what about the power supply? Will my PSU have a cable that plugs into that?

Esata is just a data cable. An external dock or other device that uses it will have its own power supply.

kidko

So, I can just stick this in a PCI slot?

Yeah, it's a PCI slot thing. Stick it in a slot you won't use. Unless your mobo has ESATA already then it's kinda pointless. I just cut the power cable off the one in my case since as was mentioned, any drive with eSATA will be in an external case with a power supply of its own.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom