• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 2. Haswell = #IntelnoTIM, but free online. READ THE OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wynnebeck

Banned
Still rocking the i7-960 and 560Ti card with 12GB of RAM. For this upcoming round of gaming about to hit us this fall, what should I be looking to upgrade or just leave alone?

kharma45

Still rocking the i7-960 and 560Ti card with 12GB of RAM. For this upcoming round of gaming about to hit us this fall, what should I be looking to upgrade or just leave alone?

Depends on what you expect from your games. No reason that system can't just continue on as it is. I would overclock your i7 no matter what though.

Azulsky

GTX 760 is roughly 2x the performance of the 560ti for $250ish.

Everything else you have is still pretty good.

Addnan

Leave until it's not enough for you. The GPU is probably due an upgrade soon. Overclock on that CPU will give it a while longer too.

Jeb

If the thermal paste is conductive, that could be causing a short, yes. That would also explain the boot loop.

Are you talking about the one on the green part not my messy over on the CPU lid?
Is that the paste on the green part the issue or is it the excess paste on the lid?

Also, yes, I was told to remove it, however after removing the heat sink the first time it got lighter since the heat sink took the half of it and the CPU lid seemed a lot lighter,so I just scrapped the part on the heatsink and the other side felt similar in thickness to the videos.

I still think its okay but the flash from my phone made it look worse than it is, still gonna scrap it though cause what do I know? I'm the newbie here.

Anyway, is there damage now, is the chip still usable?

maneil99

4B49Xzl.png

16 hours of prime blend, seems like I got a good chip

1.216v ( + 0.075v offset ) 4.6ghz ( Ignore the 4680mhz, that happens when your stress testing with hwinfo minimized )

maneil99

Are you talking about the one on the green part not my messy over on the CPU lid?
Is that the paste on the green part the issue or is it the excess paste on the lid?

Also, yes, I was told to remove it, however after removing the heat sink the first time it got lighter since the heat sink took the half of it and the CPU lid seemed a lot lighter,so I just scrapped the part on the heatsink and the other side felt similar in thickness to the videos.

I still think its okay but the flash from my phone made it look worse than it is, still gonna scrap it though cause what do I know? I'm the newbie here.

Chip should be fine but if you ever take the heatsink off you need to removeall the TIM for both the CPU and heatsink

Addnan

Test it again.

Then I would remove it from the case, test it with just the essentials atached. No DVD, hdd or even GPU if you have on board and see if it stays on and gets signal to the screen.

mkenyon

Banned

You need to remove everything everywhere with some 95%+ isopropyl alcohol, then reapply. You also need to do that every time the heatsink is removed.

Azulsky

16 hours of prime blend, seems like I got a good chip

1.216v ( + 0.075v offset ) 4.6ghz ( Ignore the 4680mhz, that happens when your stress testing with hwinfo minimized )

What stepping/revision etc do you have(CPUZ)?

I noticed mine said Made in Costa Rica on it.

"Thermal Paste: Apply as a ~4mm ball to the CPU. Press the heatsink down and tighten. Line method is ok. Application matters way less than you think. If you take the heatsink off, clean it with alcohol and reapply or you will trap air."
Shit, wait, I took my 212 Evo off mine to see if I'd applied the thermal paste right. Do I have to do this over again?!

ArynCrinn

Banned
Four Titans and a 4.8 Haswell? Still waiting on pictures.

Just woke up a few hours ago and did some research, seems like 4.2/4.3 is my only option on the Haswell now. Seriously disappointed in Haswell but I just put it at 4.2GHz and I'm running Prime Blend now. Seems to be within my personally acceptable ranges so far, only 6 hours in though. No huge marked performance improvements and shitty to OC, why does Haswell even exist?

And why is there such a jerk pic fetish? Or is it a, "not true without pics" situation. If so, you can believe whatever you want. I'm just here to ask for help and help others, and pics aren't necessary 99% of that time. So I'm not here to "prove myself with pics", if you want that go to the Show off your Setup thread and drool a bit. If you don't believe me, fine, move along.

I probably will post a truck load of jerk pic when I get this Haswell situation under control, just to see the responses.

mkenyon

Banned
Just woke up a few hours ago and did some research, seems like 4.2/4.3 is my only option on the Haswell now. Seriously disappointed in Haswell but I just put it at 4.2GHz and I'm running Prime Blend now. Seems to be within my personally acceptable ranges so far, only 6 hours in though. No huge marked performance improvements and shitty to OC, why does Haswell even exist?
Haswell doesn't exist for enthusiast socket. It's a consumer socket.

Delid or wait for IB-E

ArynCrinn

Banned
Haswell doesn't exist for enthusiast socket. It's a consumer socket.

Delid or wait for IB-E

Cool, might take that route. Kind of nervous about the deliddling methods but I might give it a shot. What would be the safest dedliddling method?

I don't believe you.

Cool, move along. (I believe you've bothered me through PM before as well)

Funny thing is, I've posted my Tr-SLI Titan setup elsewhere. I'm just a stickler to not giving into people's little wants and desires. And again, asking for help and helping others (which is what this thread is for) doesn't require pics most of the time. And not in my situation.

I currently have a mobo that runs PCI 2.0. How much of an impact will it have by getting a GPU with 3.0? Do I need a mobo with 3.0 to utilize it full potential?

mkenyon

Banned
Even the green area? wouldn't that damage something?
Yes, and no it won't if it's high % isopropyl alcohol :p
Cool, might take that route. Kind of nervous about the deliddling methods but I might give it a shot.
With 4 Titans, I'm rather surprised you didn't opt for 2011 for more PCI-E lanes. 40 with X79/2011, 16 with 1155/1150. Relying on PLX chips will hurt your bench scores quite a bit, which is what I imagine you have four of them for.
I currently have a mobo that runs PCI 2.0. How much of an impact will it have by getting a GPU with 3.0? Do I need a mobo with 3.0 to utilize it full potential?
Depends on GPU and resolution.

Basically, it only makes a difference in multi-GPU configurations on multiple monitor setups. 690s get a bit of a boost, like a few percentage points.

TypeCast

Banned
So I put my system together a few years ago, and I'm sitting on a i5-2400 coupled with a 560 Ti. The 560 has started giving me issues (takes 3/4 tries to start the PC, though once it's running it runs absolutely fine, very weird problem) so I'm looking to upgrade.

Would bumping up to something along the lines of a 760 Hawk be worth it without upgrading the CPU as well, or am I gonna start running into performance bottlenecks on the CPU side?

knitoe

With 4 Titans, I'm rather surprised you didn't opt for 2011 for more PCI-E lanes. 40 with X79/2011, 16 with 1155/1150. Relying on PLX chips will hurt your bench scores quite a bit, which is what I imagine you have four of them for.
He setups are 3930K & Tri-Titans, Haswell & Tri-780s and something Tri-660Tis. A few of use would love to see his kickass setups, but I am not sure why he's so against posting pics.

mkenyon

Banned
So I put my system together a few years ago, and I'm sitting on a i5-2400 coupled with a 560 Ti. The 560 has started giving me issues (takes 3/4 tries to start the PC, though once it's running it runs absolutely fine, very weird problem) so I'm looking to upgrade.

Would bumping up to something along the lines of a 760 Hawk be worth it without upgrading the CPU as well, or am I gonna start running into performance bottlenecks on the CPU side?
Bottlenecks aren't an either/or thing. They can exist on multiple parts all at the same time. That being the case, your processor is already bottlenecking in a number of titles. However, you will still see increased performance with an upgraded GPU.

ArynCrinn

Banned
Yes, and no it won't if it's high % isopropyl alcohol :p

Depends on GPU and resolution.

Basically, it only makes a difference in multi-GPU configurations on multiple monitor setups. 690s get a bit of a boost, like a few percentage points.

No, there's been sort of a lost in translation here I guess. My Titan setup is a LGA 2011 mobo, and a Sandy Bridge Hexacore Extreme. My new Haswell build is the new Z87 Asus Sabertooth and Tri-SLI 780's.

Sandy Bridge Titan Setup:
Monitor: ASUS VG248QE 144Hz 1ms response time 24"

Antec Twelve Hundred V3 Full Tower Case
Corei7 3970X Extreme Edition Six-Core OC@4.8GHz (cooled with Corsair H110 water cooler)
ASUS P9X79-E WS LGA 2011 Motherboard
32GB of G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series RAM
Tri-SLI EVGA GTX Titans
1050watt Seasonic PSU
3x 2TB WD 7200rpm HDD's
1 3.5 WD TB HDD
2 Samsung 250GB SSD's
LG Blu-Ray Rewriter
Tons of 120mm LED fans all over the place
190cfm monster fan at my back exhaust

Haswell 780 Setup (final for now):
-Haswell 4770K 3.5GHz (@4.2GHz)
-ASUS SABERTOOTH Z87 LGA 1150 Intel Z87
-BenQ Gaming XL2720T Black 27" 1ms 120Htz
-Tri-SLI EVGA GTX 780 3GB
-3x WD Scorpio Blue 1TB HDD's
-Samsung 840 EVO MZ-7TE1T0BW 2.5" 1TB SSD
-Seasonic X-850 850watt PSU
-Koolance EXC-800 Portable 800W Recirculating Liquid Chiller (Not off Newegg)
-Antec Dark Fleet DF-85 Gaming Case (water cooling closed case ready) (Not off Newegg)
-LG Black Blu-Ray Rewriter
-Leopold Keyboard cherry blue switches
-Razer 2013 mouse
-32GB (4x 8GB sticks) GSkill Ripjaws X

And I just bought all the Haswell rig stuff not too long ago, so I've got to pay that off before I get anything further. Still have a leftover GTX 780 though, unwrapped with SP: Blacklist voucher attached. How much could I sell that for?

Dreaver

Hi guys, not sure if this is the best place to ask, but I can't find another thread for it.

Today I came back from holiday, I booted up my computer and surprise my sound doesn't work anymore, a few weeks ago I had a similar problem but after a reboot the problem solved, but rebooting doesn't seem to fix the problem this time.

The weird thing is, if I look at the volume mixer, everything seems to be fine. I can see there is music playing, there just isn't coming any sound from my speakers (also no system sounds). And yes, my cable is plugged in and I've tried different speakers and headphones. I have tried disabling and re-enabling the playback devices, changes from stereo to 7.1, removing and re installing the drivers (I have pretty much tried all the obvious solutions, but nothing seems to work). I'm afraid the problem lays deeper, does anyone know a possible solution or what the problem could be?

Sound card is SB X-Fi Xtreme Audio.

Yep,used them up.

Back when we were talking about my messy work with the thermal paste on the cpu, I wanted to know if those tiny smudges on the green part would do anything, my overuse of thermal paste took all the attention and I never got an answer, so now I took out the heat sink and I'm asking again, will the smudges on the green side do anything, because I don't know if they are the problem.
cufCUCD.jpg

Seriously now?

knitoe

Hi guys, not sure if this is the best place to ask, but I can't find another thread for it.

Today I came back from holiday, I booted up my computer and surprise my sound doesn't work anymore, a few weeks ago I had a similar problem but after a reboot the problem solved, but rebooting doesn't seem to fix the problem this time.

The weird thing is, if I look at the volume mixer, everything seems to be fine. I can see there is music playing, there just isn't coming any sound from my speakers (also no system sounds). And yes, my cable is plugged in and I've tried different speakers and headphones. I have tried disabling and re-enabling the playback devices, changes from stereo to 7.1, removing and re installing the drivers (I have pretty much tried all the obvious solutions, but nothing seems to work). I'm afraid the problem lays deeper, does anyone know a possible solution or what the problem could be?

Sound card is SB X-Fi Xtreme Audio.

I found out that with my XFI Fatal1ty will disappear randomly if I also install the Console app. I would need to uninstall and reinstall the drivers for the card to show up again. That maybe your problem. Uninstall all the Creative Labs apps and just reinstall the drivers.

mkenyon

Banned
I'm gonna buy you an Antec One some day and you're gonna like it.
Would make a p'good door stop.

I should take a pic of my case graveyard. It's almost shameful when I think about it. 600T, Lian Li/Rocketfish full tower, Mac Pro case, 1.5ish prodigies (don't ask), HAF 932, Corsair C70, lots more.

I generally pride myself on not hating on any specific brand, and judging each part on its own merits. People accused me of hating on EVGA with the 600 series cards, and I said I would change the tune of my song if they released decent coolers on the 700 series cards. ACX is my #1 choice now.

However, Antec is the only exception to this. I just can't.

kharma45

Would make a p'good door stop.

I should take a pic of my case graveyard. It's almost shameful when I think about it. 600T, Lian Li/Rocketfish full tower, Mac Pro case, 1.5ish prodigies (don't ask), HAF 932, Corsair C70, lots more.

I'll not lie, I was close to getting the One at one stage. It seems to be a fairly nice case for the money, a lot nicer than the Antec 300.

Half a Prodigy? How could you hurt something so cute?

mkenyon

Banned
I'll not lie, I was close to getting the One at one stage. It seems to be a fairly nice case for the money, a lot nicer than the Antec 300.

Half a Prodigy? How could you hurt something so cute?
Had one laying around, wanted to cut it up to see if I could make something interesting. Didn't go as planned.

mkenyon

Banned
Hey, I still recommend the BP550 to people. It's just that I can't buy their stuff for *me*.

FWIW, I had a P180 awhile back. I bought Antec stuff along the way, but at some point, it's like they just stopped giving a shit and relied on name recognition as well as access to a number of big box stores (like Best Buy).

I'm really really really picky when it comes to cases though. That should make everyone feel better about the choices in the OP at least!
Antec makes solid cases, I always buy from them never a problem, just like I'm a EVGA, Seasonic, Shin Etsu and GSkill guy. :p

Why? What would you have used?
Some options off the top of my head:

Fractal Define XL R2
Lian Li X2000FN
NZXT H630
Lian Li V750
CaseLabs SM8
BitFenix Shinobi XL
Corsair 900D
Little Devil PC-V7

But really, any setup like that I'd have totally under water. Too much noise otherwise. That kind of limits it to something like the CaseLabs SMH10 or 900D.

ArynCrinn

Banned
Hey, I still recommend the BP550 to people. It's just that I can't buy their stuff for *me*.

FWIW, I had a P180 awhile back. I bought Antec stuff along the way, but at some point, it's like they just stopped giving a shit and relied on name recognition as well as access to a number of big box stores (like Best Buy).

I'm really really really picky when it comes to cases though. That should make everyone feel better about the choices in the OP at least!

I actually really like the Antec Twelve Hundred A LOT. Lots of space, lots of vents, looks cool (especially when lit up with blue/green), and overall really solid build quality as far as I can tell. With even more room for tons of expansion.

Don't see it on the OP, or maybe I'm blind, but what's the knock against it?

ArynCrinn

Banned
Too much noise otherwise. That kind of limits it to something like the CaseLabs SMH10 or 900D.

Well, I'm not really worried about noise, my 190cfm fan sounds like a jet turbine and only my A50 headphones are usable to hear anything sometimes. But I don't really care about noise, generally.

mkenyon

Banned
It has like a fifth of the features of any modern case. Good cable management, proper spots for rads, good 120mm fan placement, HDD's facing the wrong way, non modular 3.5mm trays, excessive 5.25" bays, no dust filters, etc etc etc.

If it works though, it works.

*edit*

Now that I see the above post, maybe you should try out changing cases to reduce overall noise?

At one point I didn't care very much either. Then I built my first WC'd PC, and I couldn't go back.

Even doing something like getting the Define XL R2, and filling it with amazing fans might be really awesome for you.

*edit 2*

Out of curiosity, where did you manage to fit that H110 in the Twelve Hundred?

Azulsky

Out of curiosity, where did you manage to fit that H110 in the Twelve Hundred?

1200 has 2 120's vertically on the rear side.

Problems with the Antec x-hundred cases

Cable routing not as refined as Corsair. They need to create more channels on the right side of the case. I had that sidepanel bulging and I was only using 1/2 the available drive slots and 2 video cards.

Once you have video cards in you have to remove the 120mm modules to get to drives. God help you if your video card power plugs are aligned with the card longways and do not point toward the side of the case. I had that issue with 460SLI before i stepped them up to 470's.

They could just have rotated drive mounting options like many other cases. I have a CM Centurion from 05 that had that feature.

Some people dont like tool-less, I dont really have an opinion on that. They give ample thumbscrews with the cases.

They rest on 3 points, 2 in the front and 1 in the rear center, which means that it wobbles. Not a big deal if you have it in a desk with the slot for the computer but on top of your desk it is kinda scary.

Front panels connectors on mine didnt last long, and I didnt use them often.

I guess the biggest pro is that being steel its structural quality is not in question.

It certainly is more of a chore to build in than other cases.

Ive not seen the cases universally acclaimed. Seems like the CM HAF are much more popular full towers.

t-ramp

The 1200 still has archaic HDD/front fan mounting, no air vent for installing PSUs fan-down, and apparently the included fans still use Molex-only connectors. And it's expensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom