• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 2. Haswell = #IntelnoTIM, but free online. READ THE OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

asdad123

This question is very important. Unless you mega lost the silicon lottery and you have to go to 1.3 V to get Ivy stable at 4.3 GHz (this is like the bottom 5% of chips in overclock limit), you don't need to delid. The chances of getting such a chip are so low that it's more likely:
1. Your cooler is bad.
2. Your cooler is not seated properly.
3. Your motherboard's voltage regulator sucks.
4. Your BIOS settings are bad.
5. You have a motherboard that shipped with pre-release BIOS and you need to update for stability.
6. You have a cheap motherboard that requires tweaking C States, load line calibration, RAM voltage, and other settings to workaround it's flaws. Google OC guides for your motherboard.

I won the silicon lottery at home with my 3770K @ 4.6 GHz with 1.22V VCore, but I have overclocked many chips at work and the worst I have seen in 4.3 GHz, but it's stable at 1.24V VCore at 65C.

Okay, I was running 4.0ghz at 1.1VCore. Max Temps were about 60C with the H80i.

Im just bumped it up at 4.4ghz at 1.20 Vcore, and my temps are hitting 77-81C with intel burn test. Something wrong with my heatsink install?

harSon

Banned
I'm looking to build a gaming computer/htpc, and since this is going to be a key component of my Home Theater, I want the computer in question to be sleek with decent form factor. I was looking at the Alienware X51, but I'm not really a fan of purchasing retail computers, and would much rather build one myself.

Could anyone point me in the direction of a case that would satisfy my needs?

Addnan

I'm looking to build a gaming computer/htpc, and since this is going to be a key component of my Home Theater, I want the computer in question to be sleek with decent form factor. I was looking at the Alienware X51, but I'm not really a fan of purchasing retail computers, and would much rather build one myself.

Could anyone point me in the direction of a case that would satisfy my needs?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=65541586&postcount=3

Like any of these?

Every little counts bruv :p

Can anyone recommend me a good wireless adaptor? Any kind of physical connection to the router is seemingly out of the question for me :(

I can go up to £25

Have you thought about using your existing electrical wiring as an Ad hoc wired connection. Something like this :-

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0084Y9N3O/

Basically you plug one box near your pc and connect it to the pc via a network cable. Then you plug the other box next to your router and connect that to the router with a network cable. The two boxes then communicate with each other over your electrical wiring.

I have used it before and I find it much better than wireless.

Have you thought about using your existing electrical wiring as an Ad hoc wired connection. Something like this :-

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0084Y9N3O/

Basically you plug one box near your pc and connect it to the pc via a network cable. Then you plug the other box next to your router and connect that to the router with a network cable. The two boxes then communicate with each other over your electrical wiring.

I have used it before and I find it much better than wireless.

Yeah, kharma recommended me to do that, but I have no spare socket near the router, and no room there for a socket-block (or whatever you call them) :(

edit: Just ordered the case, is there any need for one of these?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B007XVLMZ6/

I've read that getting a GTX 760 4GB is useless as the card isn't fast enough to support the memory. Is there any truth to this? I won't be going SLI as my mobo doesn't support it, if that makes any difference.

I haven't seen any studies done on this, but it's likely that 4GB is over kill on a 760. It's kind of like buying one of those entry level GT 620 parts that come with "1GB of DDR3 RAM!!11one!". There certainly may be some scenarios where a 760 could go over 2GB of RAM though. We don't know. Personally, I think the 2GB model would just be a lot more balanced.

Ok guys I need some advice, fast.

I've been thinking about selling my Macbook Pro (Early 2011) for a while and I've found a buyer. I can still get €1100 for it (or $1400 for the Americans here). So I think that's a pretty good price.

Now, the idea was to buy a gaming pc with this and an iPad to replace my MBP. Is this a wise decision? Because basically I want to play games, but the MBP just doesn't cut it anymore. It's now being used mostly as a tool for surfing the web and listening to music. The only problem is that this means I won't have a laptop for college. (Unless I bring my pc there of course.)

Anyways, can you guys tell me what the best gaming pc is that I can get for about $1300? I still need a screen and keyboard as well.

Thanks in advance guys!

Angst

Hi PC GAF, I'm considering upgrading my PC and I think I need some advice.

Current build:
AMD Athlon II X4 640
MSI 770-C45, Socket-AM3, DDR3
6 GB RAM
XFX Radeon HD 5770 1GB GDDR5

I think my system's weak point is the GPU and I'm considering either a 7870 or maybe something from nvidia.
At the moment I play mostly Civ 5, but I also need new games like tomb raider, Bioshock etc to be playable with a workable fps.
Edit - oh, I have a 500 W 12 volt PSU.

XAL

Somewhat related (modem and router) question, I'm moving into a new place where the people there have Comcast cable internet (which I am going to upgrade from the 6mb connection to 25mb tier) - I live in San Francisco, and they're really the only solid +25mb option (I don't live in range of monkeybrains or live in the apartment buildings with gigabit internet).

And from what I gather it requires a modem that has something called DOCSIS 3.0, which, if you get a non-docsis modem you won't be getting the best speeds possible out of the comcast connection. Is this in-fact true? And what modem will help me get the most out of the connection?

Right now I'm looking at this for the modem
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AJHDZSI/?tag=neogaf0e-20

and this for the router (the line will be moved to the downstairs room - mine, so I need a strong wifi signal for the rest of the house on the upper floor)
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006QB1RPY/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Anyone familiar with comcast?

Rizific

Since bf4 is around the corner and I'm really looking forward to it, I've decided that I want to upgrade my gpu since I'm not exactly happy with how bf3 performs on my 5850. I'd like to keep costs below $300 and so far from what I've been reading is that the 7950 is best in that price range. I've even seen them dip below $200 on sale. Are there any others I should be looking at? Any upcoming gpus that I should consider waiting for? My past two gpus were amd and I really have no preference between team green or team red, I'll go wherever the best bang for the buck is. I'll be at 1920x1080 and would like it to be able to take me at least 2 years into the next console generation. Any suggestions?

knitoe

I haven't seen any studies done on this, but it's likely that 4GB is over kill on a 760. It's kind of like buying one of those entry level GT 620 parts that come with "1GB of DDR3 RAM!!11one!". There certainly may be some scenarios where a 760 could go over 2GB of RAM though. We don't know. Personally, I think the 2GB model would just be a lot more balanced.

The X1 and PS4 GPUs are weaker than the 760. Is it "overkill" for them to have 8GB? I really wish people would stop spreading wrong info base on benchmarks using 1440p plus resolution and high AA to show 256 bit bus not enough power to use >2GB VRAM developer coded limit. Hell, my SLI Titans can sometimes have problems running at those settings. But, a 760, X1, PS4 and etc. is fine using >2GB VRAM at 1080p and low AA. Now, all developers have to do us increase their coded ram limits from 2GB to 3-4GB.

And, I fully expect someone else to repeat this same false info again next week.

Darknoc

So when I originally built my current pc I totally cheaped out on my motherboard having later found out I wasn't able to overclock with it. My question is would it be worth buying a new mobo just to overclock or would I be better off waiting to just upgrade the whole thing?

Pc specs:

Intel i5 2500k
Biostar h61 motherboard
8gb gskill ddr3
Radeon 6950 2gb gddr5

knitoe

So when I originally built my current pc I totally cheaped out on my motherboard having later found out I wasn't able to overclock with it. My question is would it be worth buying a new mobo just to overclock or would I be better off waiting to just upgrade the whole thing?

Pc specs:

Intel i5 2500k
Biostar h61 motherboard
8gb gskill ddr3
Radeon 6950 2gb gddr5
Yes. A 2500K@4.5GHz or faster is still very high end.

Pc specs:

Intel i5 2500k
Biostar h61 motherboard
8gb gskill ddr3
Radeon 6950 2gb gddr5

2500k is still a great ocing processor, so it would be worth it to get an overclocking board for that. It could give you more time out of your current build as long as you have proper cooling.

What chipsets should I look into? Do I need to go z77 to overclock? Will the stock cooler be enough to hit 4.5 ghz?

Z68 or Z77 support it. You'll want to get something like the Cooler Master 212 EVO or 212 Plus for like $30-$40.

maneil99

So I ran 24 hours of prime 95 at 4.6ghz @ 1.2v, no issues. After rebooting internet didn't work so I replugged it in and it was fine. Could this be instability? I then reflashed the bios and used the same profile but decided to lower the vcore even more, keyboard worked but had no lights except caps lock (G110 no logitech drivers installed) , replugged it in and it was fine. Any chance this is stability related or just quirks?

LordCanti

Somewhat related (modem and router) question, I'm moving into a new place where the people there have Comcast cable internet (which I am going to upgrade from the 6mb connection to 25mb tier) - I live in San Francisco, and they're really the only solid +25mb option (I don't live in range of monkeybrains or live in the apartment buildings with gigabit internet).

And from what I gather it requires a modem that has something called DOCSIS 3.0, which, if you get a non-docsis modem you won't be getting the best speeds possible out of the comcast connection. Is this in-fact true? And what modem will help me get the most out of the connection?

and this for the router (the line will be moved to the downstairs room - mine, so I need a strong wifi signal for the rest of the house on the upper floor)

I use that modem with Comcast and it works great. If you've got time, you can wait for a sale and get one $20 or so cheaper, but if you can't wait, it's the best one to get (it's future proof up to 300mb/s or something like that). You won't really take advantage of DOCSIS 3.0 at your current speed, but you'll be ready when a speed boost comes along.

The router seems excessive. I've got a $50 TP-link router that has coverage throughout all three levels of my house without any issues. I wouldn't spend $150 on a router.

knitoe

Since bf4 is around the corner and I'm really looking forward to it, I've decided that I want to upgrade my gpu since I'm not exactly happy with how bf3 performs on my 5850. I'd like to keep costs below $300 and so far from what I've been reading is that the 7950 is best in that price range. I've even seen them dip below $200 on sale. Are there any others I should be looking at? Any upcoming gpus that I should consider waiting for? My past two gpus were amd and I really have no preference between team green or team red, I'll go wherever the best bang for the buck is. I'll be at 1920x1080 and would like it to be able to take me at least 2 years into the next console generation. Any suggestions?

Supposedly, AMD's next cards are going to be release in October. If you can wait, might be best to what for the 9000s. Otherwise, the 7950 is a good value.

The router seems excessive. I've got a $50 TP-link router that has coverage throughout all three levels of my house without any issues. I wouldn't spend $150 on a router.
My old highend Linksys 4200 transfers ~5MB/s vs ~50MB/s on my new Asus AC66U. That even destroys powerline setups. Everyone's next wireless setup should be AC hardwares.

kharma45

What chipsets should I look into? Do I need to go z77 to overclock? Will the stock cooler be enough to hit 4.5 ghz?

2500k is still a great ocing processor, so it would be worth it to get an overclocking board for that. It could give you more time out of your current build as long as you have proper cooling.

Z68 or Z77 support it. You'll want to get something like the Cooler Master 212 EVO or 212 Plus for like $30-$40.

P67 and Z75 also support it. Easiest board to get hold of now with be a Z7x board, and which board Darknoc will depend on your budget.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Hi PC gaf, I'm looking to build a desktop from the ground up, which means I'll need a monitor as well and don't have any parts to recycle. Using the OP as a starting point, I currently have this, prices taken from amazon:

Motherboard: (67$) MSI LGA1155/Intel B75/DDR3/SATA3 USB 3.0/A&GbE/MicroATX Motherboard B75MA-P45

CPU: (180$) Intel Core-i5 3350P Quad-Core Processor 3.1 Ghz 6 MB Cache LGA 1155 - BX80637i53350P

RAM: (69$) Kingston Technology HyperX 8 GB (2x4 GB Modules) 1600 MHz DDR3 Dual Channel Kit (PC3 12800) 240-Pin SDRAM KHX1600C9D3K2/8GX

GPU: (205$) EVGA GeForce GTX 660 SUPERCLOCKED 2048MB GDDR5 DVI HDMI DP Graphics Card 02G-P4-2662-KR

PSU: (38$) Antec VP-450 450 Watt Energy Star Certified Power Supply

HDD: (63$) WD Blue 1 TB Desktop Hard Drive: 3.5 Inch, 7200 RPM, SATA 6 Gb/s, 64 MB Cache - WD10EZEX

Case: (30$) NZXT Technologies Source 210 Computer Case (Black)

DVD drive: (20$ish) ??? Recommendations please!

Monitor: (no more than 150$) ??? Recommendations please! looking for 22" to 27" inch range, 1080P and HDMI is a must

Total: 670$ + 150$ish for monitor = 830$

Even this is still more than I can really afford, so any suggestions on how to cut costs will be greatly appreciated. Can you guys just look this over and give any advice? really appreciated

I have the exact same modem and router on Comcast.

kharma45

Hi PC gaf, I'm looking to build a desktop from the ground up, which means I'll need a monitor as well and don't have any parts to recycle. Using the OP as a starting point, I currently have this, prices taken from amazon:

Motherboard: (67$) MSI LGA1155/Intel B75/DDR3/SATA3 USB 3.0/A&GbE/MicroATX Motherboard B75MA-P45

CPU: (180$) Intel Core-i5 3350P Quad-Core Processor 3.1 Ghz 6 MB Cache LGA 1155 - BX80637i53350P

RAM: (69$) Kingston Technology HyperX 8 GB (2x4 GB Modules) 1600 MHz DDR3 Dual Channel Kit (PC3 12800) 240-Pin SDRAM KHX1600C9D3K2/8GX

GPU: (205$) EVGA GeForce GTX 660 SUPERCLOCKED 2048MB GDDR5 DVI HDMI DP Graphics Card 02G-P4-2662-KR

PSU: (38$) Antec VP-450 450 Watt Energy Star Certified Power Supply

HDD: (63$) WD Blue 1 TB Desktop Hard Drive: 3.5 Inch, 7200 RPM, SATA 6 Gb/s, 64 MB Cache - WD10EZEX

Case: (30$) NZXT Technologies Source 210 Computer Case (Black)

DVD drive: (20$ish) ??? Recommendations please!

Monitor: (no more than 150$) ??? Recommendations please! looking for 22" to 27" inch range, 1080P is a must

Total: 670$ + 150$ish for monitor = 830$

Even this is still more than I can really afford, so any suggestions on how to cut costs will be greatly appreciated. Can you guys just look this over and give any advice? really appreciated

Swap the 660 for a 7870, that'll save $30 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

Save $14 with this RAM http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

Why do you need a DVD drive?

Monitor wise there are these two IPS, affordable with the money saved from the RAM and GPU http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824005364 and http://www.amazon.com/dp/B008DWITHI/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Envelope

sealed with a kiss

I need a DVD drive to install stuff from DVD's

Thanks for the GPU and monitor and ram suggestions, with the GPU how does the GTX 650 TI compare? it comes to about 50$ cheaper than the 660 and 20$ cheaper than the 7870, but I'm not sure how well it will hold up upcoming releases compared to those cards.

kharma45

I need a DVD drive to install stuff from DVD's

Thanks for the GPU and monitor and ram suggestions, with the GPU how does the GTX 650 TI compare? it comes to about 50$ cheaper than the 660 and 20$ cheaper than the 7870, but I'm not sure how well it will hold up upcoming releases compared to those cards.

650 Ti is a poor value card tbh. 7870 is a much stronger buy, hugely stronger http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/548?vs=680 plus you get two free games with it as well. The lowest card I could recommend dropping to would be a 7850 at $150 after rebate http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102998

Install stuff like Windows? That can be done over USB for instance.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
650 Ti is a poor value card tbh. 7870 is a much stronger buy, hugely stronger http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/548?vs=680 plus you get two free games with it as well. The lowest card I could recommend dropping to would be a 7850 at $150 after rebate http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102998

Install stuff like Windows? That can be done over USB for instance.

I have a fair amount of games that are on DVDs, as well as other programs such as photoshop that I only have on DVDs, so the DVD isn't entirely necessary but it certainly would be useful to me, it is a valid option to get that later though.

That 7870 does look like a really good deal, especially with the 15$ rebate, thanks for the tip!

kharma45

I have a fair amount of games that are on DVDs, as well as other programs such as photoshop that I only have on DVDs, so the DVD isn't entirely necessary but it certainly would be useful to me, it is a valid option to get that later though.

That 7870 does look like a really good deal, especially with the 15$ rebate, thanks for the tip!

Depending on the game, if they're Steamworks titles for instance you just need the serial and not the disc, and PS can iirc be downloaded using your serial, depending on the version. If none of that applies then yeah get one, but they're generally redundant now.

Zaph

Is there anyone here that has bought a Haswell CPU and is happy with it?

If so how have you handled the heat issue?
4770k @ 4.6Ghz stable. Blazingly fast, huge impact on my workflow. But highly doubt I would have bothered if it was just for games.

Delidded to overcome the heat issue. Was nervous about the risk, but the gains were just too good to pass up. Dropped my load temps by 40 degrees - maybe even more, but the CPU started throttling at 100c. Idle now only 5 degrees above ambient.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Depending on the game, if they're Steamworks titles for instance you just need the serial and not the disc, and PS can iirc be downloaded using your serial, depending on the version. If none of that applies then yeah get one, but they're generally redundant now.

Got it, I'll save the disc drive for a christmas present or something along those lines then. :)

StaSeb

If money is an issue, why not consider AMD as CPU? You could get an Athlon X4 for around 80 bucks. This is considerable less than the Intel-processor and still a good partner for that gpu. And the FM2+-Socket is a bit futureproof. AMD will offer a lot of APUs (CPU and capable GPU in one) for that. Ideal for little brohters, casual gamers and girfriends. Or you go for a quadcore-FX-CPU for around 100 bucks.

You might have noticed: I am quite of an AMD-fan. I know their CPUs are a bit lacking in the high-end, but in terms of price-value they deliver.

Also, if humanly possible (maybe safe a few months longer, delay that monitor-purchase and reuse some old shitty 4:3-panel) get yourself an SSD and install the OS on there. The difference this makes in the user-experience is incredible. If gaming is your only, and very much only, use for said PC, you might not feel a lot though.

kharma45

If money is an issue, why not consider AMD as CPU? You could get an Athlon X4 for around 80 bucks. This is considerable less than the Intel-processor and still a good partner for that gpu. And the FM2+-Socket is a bit futureproof. AMD will offer a lot of APUs (CPU and capable GPU in one) for that. Ideal for little brohters, casual gamers and girfriends. Or you go for a quadcore-FX-CPU for around 100 bucks.

You might have noticed: I am quite of an AMD-fan. I know their CPUs are a bit lacking in the high-end, but in terms of price-value they deliver.

Also, if humanly possible (maybe safe a few months longer, delay that monitor-purchase and reuse some old shitty 4:3-panel) get yourself an SSD and install the OS on there. The difference this makes in the user-experience is incredible. If gaming is your only, and very much only, use for said PC, you might not feel a lot though.

The FM2 based Athlon's aren't great with regards to frame timings

RfrYIYn.png

GEIRE7M.png

mmbVs7m.png

StaSeb

The FM2 based Athlon's aren't great with regards to frame timings

Interesting. I did not know that. Thanks for pointing it out.
I was wondering why AMD-cpus are so rarely mentioned here. Well, hopefully future Athlons perform better in that regard, because I really like their concept of affordable grunt.

Edit: There weren’t any FM2.-Athlons(!) in that list though. ^^

kharma45

Interesting. I did not know that. Thanks for pointing it out.
I was wondering why AMD-cpus are so rarely mentioned here. Well, hopefully future Athlons perform better in that regard, because I really like their concept of affordable grunt.

Edit: There weren’t any FM2.-Athlons(!) in that list though. ^^

The APUs above, like the 5800K, are the same on the CPU side as the FM2 Athlons.

P67 and Z75 also support it. Easiest board to get hold of now with be a Z7x board, and which board Darknoc will depend on your budget.

I didn't mention the p67 since they are harder to find and some people have problems(I have p67 and haven't had any). You are right, z7x seems like the best bet at this point.

Semi off topic here.

If I want a multi monitor setup, like maybe six monitors (not for gaming). Can I just install some additional video cards in the standard pci slots and use those for outputs, or do I have to go through the SLI/Crossfire setup?

kennah

Semi off topic here.

If I want a multi monitor setup, like maybe six monitors (not for gaming). Can I just install some additional video cards in the standard pci slots and use those for outputs, or do I have to go through the SLI/Crossfire setup?
You don't have to sli no.

But good luck finding pci or pcie1x video cards. Your best bet is to stick to paired cards.

Some amd cards support 6 outputs.

mhayze

Any real benefit to ACX vs Windforce vs "standard" or whatever? It seems like the cards w/ fans on them would just blow the additional heat into your case. Not sure if it's a big deal or not.

If you have decent venting in your case, then these aftermarket coolers are nicer than the OEM designs, by and large. Read a couple of reviews with measurements, if you're not sure.

4770k @ 4.6Ghz stable. Blazingly fast, huge impact on my workflow. But highly doubt I would have bothered if it was just for games.

Delidded to overcome the heat issue. Was nervous about the risk, but the gains were just too good to pass up. Dropped my load temps by 40 degrees - maybe even more, but the CPU started throttling at 100c. Idle now only 5 degrees above ambient.

Thanks for the reply.

I'll probably go with a 3570k then .

You don't have to sli no.

But good luck finding pci or pcie1x video cards. Your best bet is to stick to paired cards.

Some amd cards support 6 outputs.

Well, my current video card occupies the pci express x16 slot and has two dvi outputs, and my motherboard has three additional standard pci slots (not express).

I see some regular pci video cards on Newegg for $40 or so. Can I just buy two of those, pop them in and start running extra monitors?

kennah

Yep

In other news. This 2500K coupled with a 5770 has actually been kind of impressive in what it can handle. Can't wait to slap a better video card in and let her rip.

Azulsky

Well, my current video card occupies the pci express x16 slot and has two dvi outputs, and my motherboard has three additional standard pci slots (not express).

I see some regular pci video cards on Newegg for $40 or so. Can I just buy two of those, pop them in and start running extra monitors?

Can you tell us what type of inputs are on your monitors.

If you can get all display port AMD has a single card that would take care of that.

In the end while you are not looking for a gaming application this is still something that is pretty demanding so having a decent video card to do it is nice.

Most of the PCI cards do 2 monitors from what I was able to read so you will end up buying a few.

6xx series Nvidia stuff can do 4 monitors but they are 3 different outputs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom