• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 2. Haswell = #IntelnoTIM, but free online. READ THE OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Turned out it was a pricing error, Amazon cancelled that 250gb SSD :(

Ah well, reordered th £75 120gb, should be here on time for the weekend,and means I don't have to mess about uninstalling and reinstalling

Don't think the GPU will be here anywhere near on time though :(

Palmer_v1

Better video card. A GTX 780 if you can stretch to it otherwise 7970/770.

GTX780 was too expensive, so I went with a 770, doubled up on RAM, and still have a bit to spare. I have thermal paste but should I get some extra case fans base don what I have below, or other random peripherals?

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($219.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 76.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($19.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: MSI Z87-G45 Gaming ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($139.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($134.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 840 Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($176.98 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 770 2GB Video Card ($399.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Titanium Grey) ATX Mid Tower Case ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Rosewill Hive 650W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($64.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8 (OEM) (64-bit) ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1406.89
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-09-02 11:34 EDT-0400)

kennah

Re ^^ Build

kharma, why'd you recommend the Rosewill over the Seasonic? Not judging, just curious.

And Palmer - your hyper212 comes with good paste, so you don't need to worry about that. And case fans your R4 is probably fine - but generally you only want to add case fans if you find out that your case is too hot. For the most part what it comes with will be fine.

sunnz

I decided to buy the K70 corsair keyboard.

Good buy?

( haven't actually brought it YET, probably tomorrow. Picking a mechanical keyboard is a pretty tough job.)

kidko

2. Purchased a Seasonic M12II PSU to replace a TX650v2; I am thrilled with the decrease in sound (barely audible now), but the cables are short. Specifically, the 12-pin ATX (hardwired) won't reach unless coming up through the PSU separating wall rather than around the back, and the SATA power cables (modular) need to really stretch to reach where they need to go. Can I find cable extensions or replacement cables to address these issues?

Mine is a super tight fit so I just ordered this extension cable and will be installing it when my new cpu/mobo parts come in this week.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812162032

ss_lemonade

I've been having a problem that just started happening fairly recently. Sometimes when I leave my computer on without touching it for a day, the next day I go and use it, I would start experiencing freezes and hitches every few seconds. Looking at the task manager, the CPU would spike to 100 during a freeze then go back to 0, then up to 100 again after a second or 2. This would last for like 15-20 seconds before settling down, then start acting up again after a minute. A quick reboot is the only way I can get the computer working properly again

If its some program that's doing this, is there an easier way to catch which process is causing the CPU to go up like that? Looking at the processes tab and ordering by CPU column doesn't help because when it goes to 100%, the computer freezes and doesn't show the updated process table during that.

TheStevo

Banned
Where can I find non-beta AMD drivers for my 7730m? AMD keeps linking me to their latest beta drivers which causes my laptop to go to crap.

TheExodu5

Banned
I've been having a problem that just started happening fairly recently. Sometimes when I leave my computer on without touching it for a day, the next day I go and use it, I would start experiencing freezes and hitches every few seconds. Looking at the task manager, the CPU would spike to 100 during a freeze then go back to 0, then up to 100 again after a second or 2. This would last for like 15-20 seconds before settling down, then start acting up again after a minute. A quick reboot is the only way I can get the computer working properly again

If its some program that's doing this, is there an easier way to catch which process is causing the CPU to go up like that? Looking at the processes tab and ordering by CPU column doesn't help because when it goes to 100%, the computer freezes and doesn't show the updated process table during that.

Sounds like it could be a virus to me...hiding it's tracks.

Zaph

Thanks to your forewarning; I spent a heck of a lot of extra time assuring before anything was screwed down; that the tubes would fit. They really were hard to work with; but I managed to get it to fit fairly well at the back of the case; with some creative maneuvering. See the following images:

[IMG ]http://i829.photobucket.com/albums/zz215/Paul_Da_Silva/87585533-8394-4625-a938-4684263c3e2b_zpsbb73688e.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG ]http://i829.photobucket.com/albums/zz215/Paul_Da_Silva/a3fe5ae1-e7dc-4f61-8b1d-e6814bd93bcd_zpsbbb7695b.jpg[/IMG]
Nicely done. Having never messed with water cooling before (closed or open loop), I was really worried about leaks, so I didn't want to bend the pipes that much. Glad you managed to get yours to fit though - shame about your PSU woes.

I spent a bit of time this weekend on my build. Wanted to change the cooler (fed up of the H60 whine, it was the only thing stopping the computer from being 100% silent at idle), clean up the cabling and cut out the front fan mesh.

To say it was a tight fit is a slight understatement...

QR1z883.jpg

Are there any bear traps associated with choosing a Xeon processor over a standard i7 4770? From the looks of things, the only negative difference are lower clocks and no integrated graphics. Its around $50 cheaper and you get ECC memory support too if you want it.

It just seems like the obvious choice if you're not going to use integrated graphics.

kennah

Are there any bear traps associated with choosing a Xeon processor over a standard i7 4770? From the looks of things, the only negative difference are lower clocks and no integrated graphics. Its around $50 cheaper and you get ECC memory support too if you want it.

It just seems like the obvious choice if you're not going to use integrated graphics.

No. The obvious choice is the K series for the 20-30% linear increase in performance due to being designed for overclocking.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
AMD should release their GPU soon so I can get Rome 2

teh_pwn

Negatives:
1. Enterprise motherboard may cause incompatibility to hardware.
2. Lower clock speed.
3. Lower IPC. Typically Xeon lags consumer, though E3 is sometimes on par. But I believe E3 has integrated graphics, so are you looking at E5? Ivy E5 releases soon, so you're looking at sandy...per clock Haswell is nearly 18% faster.
4. You're not doing bank transactions, ECC does nothing for you. Irreparable memory errors are inevitable, even with ECC.

I'm not going to overclock at all and additional price for a decent ATX Z87 board, heatsink and K series i7 doesn't particularly interest me. This is going to be mainly a workstation for visualization and shitty GIS software.

The E3 1230 doesn't have integrated graphics. Only CPUs that end in the number 5 has integrated graphics.

teh_pwn, I'm a little confused. Which processor are you talking about? I should have mentioned in my post but I was talking about the E3 1230 V3, which is a 1150 socket CPU. From the looks of things, I cannot see how it is any different from a locked i7 4770.

Tonezorz

Newegg now stocking Haswell i3s

I like this solution for now, still using my old video card , SSD, and the power supply listed here from my previous machine. Any recommendations?

CPU: Intel Core i3-4130 3.4GHz Dual-Core Processor ($119.99 @ Microcenter)
Memory: G.Skill Sniper 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($58.50 @ Newegg)
Case: Antec One ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.44 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: Corsair Enthusiast 650W 80 PLUS Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $437.91
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-09-02 13:21 EDT-0400)

Addnan

I like this solution for now, still using my old video card , SSD, and the power supply listed here from my previous machine. Any recommendations?

Power Supply: Corsair Enthusiast 650W 80 PLUS Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($69.99 @ Newegg)
If you want to save $40 you can bump down to a H87 board. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130697 Get the Z87 if you ever plan on upgrading to 4670K or the 4770K.

kharma45

Re ^^ Build

kharma, why'd you recommend the Rosewill over the Seasonic? Not judging, just curious. .

I hadn't seen the Seasonic offer until earlier today, I posted that build yesterday so either I was blind and missed it or it's a new offer.

If you've no plans to upgrade to a K CPU you could go H85. Still, Z87 leaves that avenue open for overclocking if you do.

Change PSU http://pcpartpicker.com/part/seasonic-power-supply-ss750am

Thanks for the feedback! I adjusted for your suggestions, including the Haswell motherboard for emulation. You may have missed that I'm actually looking at around 1400 for my budget, which is why I went overboard on RAM previously.

So with the new list below, I still have $200-$300 dollars to use for upgrades. It's better if I spend it now rather than trying to convice my wife I need the upgrades later on. Where could that money go to get the most extra gaming performance at this point? Also, is there a particular reason you chose Windows8 with your update?

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($219.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 76.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($19.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 840 Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($176.98 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 760 2GB Video Card ($265.91 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Titanium Grey) ATX Mid Tower Case ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Rosewill Hive 650W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($64.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8 (OEM) (64-bit) ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1183.32
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-09-02 09:04 EDT-0400)

Better PSU deal now http://pcpartpicker.com/part/seasonic-power-supply-ss750am

GPU upgrade would give you most extra performance if you want to go down that route. W8 is a faster OS all round and is the only one getting DX 11.2

Tonezorz

If you want to save $40 you can bump down to a H87 board. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130697 Get the Z87 if you ever plan on upgrading to 4670K or the 4770K.

I can see being happy with this haswell chip for a good while, I'm upgrading from an AMD Opteron 170... However, I chose this instead of the 3220 for possibility of Intel Core Gen 5 using the same socket. Should probably stick with the Z87 I'm assuming?

I'd rather spend a little more now and have greater flexibility going forward. Thanks for the suggestions.

teh_pwn

I'm not going to overclock at all and additional price for a decent ATX Z87 board, heatsink and K series i7 doesn't particularly interest me. This is going to be mainly a workstation for visualization and shitty GIS software.

The E3 1230 doesn't have integrated graphics. Only CPUs that end in the number 5 has integrated graphics.

teh_pwn, I'm a little confused. Which processor are you talking about? I should have mentioned in my post but I was talking about the E3 1230 V3, which is a 1150 socket CPU. From the looks of things, I cannot see how it is any different from a locked i7 4770.

E3 v3 is Haswell. I thought E3s had IGP so I assumed you were talking about E5 which currently are v1 and about to be v2.

v1=Sandy
v2=Ivy
v3=Haswell

Tonezorz

I hadn't seen the Seasonic offer until earlier today, I posted that build yesterday so either I was blind and missed it or it's a new offer.

If you've no plans to upgrade to a K CPU you could go H85. Still, Z87 leaves that avenue open for overclocking if you do.

Change PSU http://pcpartpicker.com/part/season...ndanger a new build with a slightly used PSU.

kennah

This is kind of the exact situation that the Xeon is designed for. Go for it.

Spend the $20 more to get the 4330. The HD4600 that is onboard would be faster than your ati4850.

Also if you're going to a microcenter it might be worth asking about a combo deal

I'm building my first PC from scratch (have upgraded GPUs/RAM/CPus/etc before but that's it).

I'm a heavy gamer and want to play everything out right now at maximum settings, with upgrades every year or two to keep it that way. Using a 1920x1080 monitor.

Price is not much of an issue but I don't see me needing much more than $1500.

Is Hazaro's Enthusiast build in the OP based around the 770 gonna be a great bet, or should I make some changes?

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
labor day is keeping the last parts I need away for another day :( I think I'll post some pics up tomorrow when it's (hopefully) up and running.

kharma45

I already have the TX650 from my old machine, purchased a couple years ago but not a lot of use on it. Is it still worth it to grab that PSU for that price? Don't want to endanger a new build with a slightly used PSU.

Ah right, na just hold on to that unit you have.

Can this mobo support new cards like GTX 670 which has PCI Express 3.0 interface while the mobo has 2.0? thanks in advance.

It can.

I'm building my first PC from scratch (have upgraded GPUs/RAM/CPus/etc before but that's it).

I'm a heavy gamer and want to play everything out right now at maximum settings, with upgrades every year or two to keep it that way. Using a 1920x1080 monitor.

Price is not much of an issue but I don't see me needing much more than $1500.

Is Hazaro's Enthusiast build in the OP based around the 770 gonna be a great bet, or should I make some changes?

It will be. Just remember AMD has new cards coming out in October which could shake things up.

Tonezorz

Spend the $20 more to get the 4330. The HD4600 that is onboard would be faster than your ati4850.

Wow, ok. Well if this is the case I'll just get a new video card. New list: Only using SSD and PSU from previous rig now.

CPU: Intel Core i3-4130 3.4GHz Dual-Core Processor ($129.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 650 Ti Boost 2GB Video Card ($144.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Antec One ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair Enthusiast 650W 80 PLUS Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($69.99 @ Newegg) - Already own
Total: $593.45
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-09-02 14:08 EDT-0400)

Any glaring issues?

Yeah the top ones will arrive first that will be rivalling the 770, although the 7970 as it is already does that I guess for less cash.

I see. I think I'll just get the 770 now and when the next AMD models come out I'll get another 770. I'll assume competition will lower the price down for the 770 in the future. I know it's stupid,but my laptop is dying and I need to replace it soon.

I see. I think I'll just get the 770 now and when the next AMD models come out I'll get another 770. I'll assume competition will lower the price down for the 770 in the future. I know it's stupid,but my laptop is dying and I need to replace it soon.

I wouldn't count on a price cut, especially from Nvidia. AMD is usually the one that cuts prices. If you are thinking about going SLI, it's better to have a better single graphics card. SLI and Crosssfire bring complexities and complications. I'd get a single GTX 780 rather than getting two 770's.

When I built my computer, I bought a GTX 570 and I said the same thing about getting another 570. I ended up just upgrading to a 670 and selling my 570 on ebay.

Addnan

I wouldn't count on a price cut, especially from Nvidia. AMD is usually the one that cuts prices. If you are thinking about going SLI, it's better to have a better single graphics card. SLI and Crosssfire bring complexities and complications. I'd get a single GTX 780 rather than getting two 770's.
SLI 770 is not the worst idea especially if you already have one. Price of 2 is just a bit higher than a single 780, much less than a Titan. In the UK at least. 770 is already a top card. If you go higher, you go into crazy money, for little return. If you don't already own a 770 and have the money now, go with 780.

What kind of complications will it bring? Never sli before. I heard of micro-stuttering, but I don't know about anything else.

The thing is I want to play at or above 120 fps with a 144 hz monitor. Looking at benchmarks sli might be the best option to achieve that for certain games like BF3.

Recommendations on Fractal R4 window vs windowless? Which would be quieter? Also thoughts on a sapphire 7950 boost edition for $200?

What kind of complications will it bring? Never sli before. I heard of micro-stuttering, but I don't know about anything else.

The thing is I want to play at or above 120 fps with a 144 hz monitor. Looking at benchmarks sli might be the best option to achieve that for certain games like BF3.

Do enough research, and you'll find people that have issues in games with sli or crossfire. Yes, microstuttering can still be a problem, even if it has gotten better. Another card in your case=more heat and less room for other expansion cards. That 144mhz monitor is 1080p. You don't need SLI. A 780 gives like 80% performance of the Titan. It should be enough. I'm in the best single graphics card camp before going SLI. Maybe buy a 770 now and sell it later towards a 780 if a single 770 doesn't give you the performance you want.

kn1ves24

Can anybody advise on switching from 2 x 1.2GB 570's in SLI to one 2GB 660ti? I'd like to cut down to 1 card but not really lose anything in performance, all the while staying as cheap as I can. I'm not really looking for performance gains I just don't want to step down from where I am now.

I know there are some limitations with the 660ti but it seems about right for what I can spend at the moment.

Just looking for some feedback on whether this would be good or not.

kennah

Wow, ok. Well if this is the case I'll just get a new video card. New list: Only using SSD and PSU from previous rig now.

CPU: Intel Core i3-4130 3.4GHz Dual-Core Processor ($129.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 650 Ti Boost 2GB Video Card ($144.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Antec One ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair Enthusiast 650W 80 PLUS Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($69.99 @ Newegg) - Already own
Total: $593.45
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-09-02 14:08 EDT-0400)

Any glaring issues?

In my opinion the 650ti boost isn't a huge enough increase over the 4600. Run onboard for a couple months and save up the extra $75 you'd need to get a 760 fo $250

I follow the motto "when you buy cheap you buy twice"

wildfire

Banned
Do enough research, and you'll find people that have issues in games with sli or crossfire. Yes, microstuttering can still be a problem, even if it has gotten better. Another card in your case=more heat and less room for other expansion cards. That 144mhz monitor is 1080p. You don't need SLI. A 780 gives like 80% performance of the Titan. It should be enough. I'm in the best single graphics card camp before going SLI. Maybe buy a 770 now and sell it later towards a 780 if a single 770 doesn't give you the performance you want.

Yes he does need SLI/crossfire even after downgrading to medium settings. You can't achieve stable 120 fps on a graphically intensive game made in the last 2 years with a single card.

Mideon

Just pulled the plug on this:

Intel Core i5 4670K
Gigabyte Z87-HD3 Motherboard
2GB MSI GTX670 PE Power Edition
Corsair Vengeance 8GB
Samsung 840 Series 120GB
Corsair Builder Series CXM 600W
BitFenix Shinobi Midi Tower

Any thoughts?

kharma45

Just pulled the plug on this:

Intel Core i5 4670K
Gigabyte Z87-HD3 Motherboard
2GB MSI GTX670 PE Power Edition
Corsair Vengeance 8GB
Samsung 840 Series 120GB
Corsair Builder Series CXM 600W
BitFenix Shinobi Midi Tower

Any thoughts?

Corsair CX isn't the best but too late now. Still better than a lot of crap out there.

kharma45

What are the bad points about it? Is it loud?

It's not that loud no, there are just better quality options for the same money that are Seasonic based rather than CWT.

Your PSU still has Japanese caps in it and it'll likely be fine. It's not a bad unit by any means.

Mideon

It's not that loud no, there are just better quality options for the same money that are Seasonic based rather than CWT.

Your PSU still has Japanese caps in it and it'll likely be fine. It's not a bad unit by any means.

Ok thanks for the insight. Any views on the rest of the parts? I know it's a low end GPU but I am waiting for the new refresh before I spend big bucks on a GPU.

kharma45

Ok thanks for the insight. Any views on the rest of the parts? I know it's a low end GPU but I am waiting for the new refresh before I spend big bucks on a GPU.

670 is still a fantastic GPU. Would've paid a bit more on the mobo for the MSI G45 Gaming. All depends on what you've paid for bits too.

Tonezorz

In my opinion the 650ti boost isn't a huge enough increase over the 4600. Run onboard for a couple months and save up the extra $75 you'd need to get a 760 fo $250

I follow the motto "when you buy cheap you buy twice"

Fair enough! Can't argue with that. Thanks for the help everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom