• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 2. Haswell = #IntelnoTIM, but free online. READ THE OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kharma45

This whole "Haswell is great for emulation" thing, are we talking game emulation or like virtual OS's and stuff?

Cause if it's games, what game console needs that kind of processing power to run well?

Game emulation like Dolphin for the Wii and PCSX2 for the PS2.

kennah

This whole "Haswell is great for emulation" thing, are we talking game emulation or like virtual OS's and stuff?

Cause if it's games, what game console needs that kind of processing power to run well?
You have a thing pretending to be another thing. That is what needs the power.

It's right in the name. It is 'emulating' the other cpu chip. Different instructions and ways of working.

Lum1n3s

Hi guys, coming at you with a question that I had about upgrading my computer. So, basically I built my first computer back in 2010 with AMD components. I'm thinking of switching over to the Intel side seeing as how I constantly keep on hearing good things about their I processor series. So I plan on going with the Asus Sabertooth Z-87 mobo with an Intel core I7-4770k processor. I hope to go with a crossfire setup. Is the current psu that I have a good one or should I have to upgrade? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817152035

Addnan

Hi guys, coming at you with a question that I had about upgrading my computer. So, basically I built my first computer back in 2010 with AMD components. I'm thinking of switching over to the Intel side seeing as how I constantly keep on hearing good things about their I processor series. So I plan on going with the Asus Sabertooth Z-87 mobo with an Intel core I7-4770k processor. I hope to go with a double crossfire setup. Is the current psu that I have a good one or should I have to upgrade? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817152035

Never heard of it, personally wouldn't want to run it in a newly built PC.

Don't get the Sabertooth, overpriced just because of its looks. Unless you are going for that obviously. The MSI G45 or GD65 are cheaper.

Lum1n3s

Never heard of it, personally wouldn't want to run it in a newly built PC.

Don't get the Sabertooth, overpriced just because of its looks. Unless you are going for that obviously. The MSI G45 or GD65 are cheaper.
Oh really? Nah it definitely wasn't because of the looks because I thought it looked ugly XD. I was checking out the Maximus VI Hero as well any opinions on that? I'll also check out those MSI ones.

kennah

Hi guys, coming at you with a question that I had about upgrading my computer. So, basically I built my first computer back in 2010 with AMD components. I'm thinking of switching over to the Intel side seeing as how I constantly keep on hearing good things about their I processor series. So I plan on going with the Asus Sabertooth Z-87 mobo with an Intel core I7-4770k processor. I hope to go with a crossfire setup. Is the current psu that I have a good one or should I have to upgrade? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817152035

Unless you're doing video encoding/media production the i7 is a waste of $100. If you're just doing gaming then get the i5.

SSD dispatched, should be good to go for Saturday afternoon/evening

Odd request, but is there a good site/app for making photo-timelines with descriptions, so I can keep you guys updated as I go, and get extra help when and if I need it? Preferabably with easy upload options so I don't have to keep the camera connected to the laptop

Baconmonk

So my gaming PC is starting to show it's age, I think its about time I did something about it. My current setup is

ASUS M4A88T-V mobo
Athlon X4 645 (3.1ghz)
8gb ddr3 ram
ati 6950 gpu
samsung 840 ssd

My processor seems to be the bottleneck at the moment. The SSD was a nice upgrade, but I'm starting to see framerate issues, and I want to be ready for newer games like BF4, Watchdogs, etc. I am hoping that if I upgrade my CPU my GPU will last until next year sometime.

I'm thinking I should go with an intel i5, and I see haswell seems to be the latest and greatest, but maybe a bit hot. Will this be the best path to get a good performance boost now, and ensure a good upgrade path? Or should I get one of the slightly older sandy bridge chips for reliability?

barugon

I feel like it's about time I upgrade components and I was hoping for some advice. I built my PC in late 2011 and told myself that I would update fairly regularly. Two years later seems like a good time.

What I'm working with:
i5 2500k / 8GB DDR 1600 / Gigabyte P8Z68 (I think this is right, but I'm at work so I can't check)
Zotac AMP! 560TI 1GB / Corsair TX650 PSU /Corsair 600T case / Crucial 128GB SSD

I'm overclocking, but very conservatively.

I'm looking to spend $200-$500 on upgrades. The machine still works well and handles most anything I throw at it, but newer games are suffering a little. I'm considering the GTX 760 and wondering if upgrading CPU or RAM would be worth the cost.

If possible, I'd like to start playing in 3D. Can a 760 handle games like Borderlands 2 or Skyrim in 3D without sacrificing graphics? I know it's basically processing twice as much, but I'm not sure what kind of cards can handle it well. I've done some research and will continue to, but I wanted your input.

Any advice is appreciated.

Addnan

I feel like it's about time I upgrade components and I was hoping for some advice. I built my PC in late 2011 and told myself that I would update fairly regularly. Two years later seems like a good time.

What I'm working with:
i5 2500k / 8GB DDR 1600 / Gigabyte P8Z68 (I think this is right, but I'm at work so I can't check)
Zotac AMP! 560TI 1GB / Corsair TX650 PSU /Corsair 600T case / Crucial 128GB SSD

I'm overclocking, but very conservatively.

I'm looking to spend $200-$500 on upgrades. The machine still works well and handles most anything I throw at it, but newer games are suffering a little. I'm considering the GTX 760 and wondering if upgrading CPU or RAM would be worth the cost.

If possible, I'd like to start playing in 3D. Can a 760 handle games like Borderlands 2 or Skyrim in 3D without sacrificing graphics? I know it's basically processing twice as much, but I'm not sure what kind of cards can handle it well. I've done some research and will continue to, but I wanted your input.

Any advice is appreciated.
Overclock your CPU further if possible, it's still a very good CPU. Get a new graphics card, the 760 should be a good upgrade. 770/7970 would be even better and be within $400

My OC'ed Nvidia Geforce 470 in SLI have served me well over the last 2-3 years. 1200 MBVram is not a lot anymore anymore, and I wonder if a single graphics card next generation could be a worthwhile upgrade. Perhaps not even a top tier like a 880 or 890(if they make that) but perhaps a 860 Ti?

Do you think it's performance could be significantly more than two 470 Sli that are overclocked? Or should I wait another year, for a bigger boost?

But at that point, I wonder if my i7 Sandy Bridge 3,0 GHz Quad is too slow for its own good. I don't know what I am looking for. Perhaps that future GTA5 PC/Battlefield 4 upgrade. I am also wondering if I should just not do anything about it, and stop upgrading the PC.

It has 8 TB of Storage, 12 Gigs of 1600 MHz DDR3 ram and a decent mobo I guess. Im aircooling it with 8 freaking fans, and it drives everyone in my apartment crazy, haha.

Azulsky

My OC'ed Nvidia Geforce 470 in SLI have served me well over the last 2-3 years. 1200 MBVram is not a lot anymore anymore, and I wonder if a single graphics card next generation could be a worthwhile upgrade. Perhaps not even a top tier like a 880 or 890(if they make that) but perhaps a 860 Ti?

Do you think it's performance could be significantly more than two 470 Sli that are overclocked? Or should I wait another year, for a bigger boost?

But at that point, I wonder if my i7 Sandy Bridge 3,0 GHz Quad is too slow for its own good. I don't know what I am looking for. Perhaps that future GTA5 PC/Battlefield 4 upgrade. I am also wondering if I should just not do anything about it, and stop upgrading the PC.

It has 8 TB of Storage, 12 Gigs of 1600 MHz DDR3 ram and a decent mobo I guess. Im aircooling it with 8 freaking fans, and it drives everyone in my apartment crazy, haha.

A single 770 is rough equal to 470SLI(2GB vs 1.2GB ram upgrade).
A 780 is going to be about 150%fps of 470 SLI. You also nearly triple the VRAM

The VRAM is by far a more serious issue and makes the upgrade worthwhile in my opinion.

You also cut down your power consumption by 1/2 and the card stays much cooler. I played through ME3 again and the card was 55C at load. My old setup was making both of the 470s get into high 60's.

You would also expect all games to support SLI at this point but in reality we still have a mixed bag so I having the single monster card is nice.

If you want to jump to another SLI setup then 770 SLI is going to be about $150 more than a 780. I clenched and went for SLI of the latter. I was jumping from 470SLI as well.

Your CPU is fine. OC'ed it is probably pretty close in performance to a Haswell. We are not getting good returns on investment for silicon wafer processes at the level Intel is at so dont expect anything super serious until 2015.

kennah

In addition to what was mentioned above, there are ways to make your computer nearly silent. (though the 470s must be quite loud).

kharma45

SSD dispatched, should be good to go for Saturday afternoon/evening

Odd request, but is there a good site/app for making photo-timelines with descriptions, so I can keep you guys updated as I go, and get extra help when and if I need it? Preferabably with easy upload options so I don't have to keep the camera connected to the laptop

Imgur.

kennah

If they had the blower fans like mine you can hear them through noise cancelling earphones at 100+ dB

Yeah, I have one. EVGA reference style. Super loud. Frigging love how quiet my 670 is and am really really looking forward to my custom loop to be completed. Mmm quieter than ambient.

Azulsky

Yeah, I have one. EVGA reference style. Super loud. Frigging love how quiet my 670 is and am really really looking forward to my custom loop to be completed. Mmm quieter than ambient.

I turned up the ACX fans on my 780s to 100% with the EVGA tool and I just imagine them yelling back "ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!?"

jwhit28

Disregarding the cost of a 4k monitor and 3 GTX Titans, is 4k even something worth looking at right now? From what I can see every setup requires 2 cables and the monitor setup as 2 connected screens right now. Can we expect a HDMI spec that can pass through 4k at 60Hz? If so when?

mkenyon

Banned
Displayport already can, and is the way of the future.

I'd definitely wait until you see the second/third gen 4k monitors out. Unfortunately, there won't be 120Hz versions for a long time, if ever.

Azulsky

Disregarding the cost of a 4k monitor and 3 GTX Titans, is 4k even something worth looking at right now? From what I can see every setup requires 2 cables and the monitor setup as 2 connected screens right now. Can we expect a HDMI spec that can pass through 4k at 60Hz? If so when?

They were playing Crysis 3 on the Asus monitor at like 30-40 fps using 3 Titans. Surprisingly still didnt use more than 2.2ish GB VRAM.

I would at least wait until TI makes a proper panel controller chip. That asus monitor was so rushed to market they had to hack it together with 2 separate controllers.

Considering that one of my Ultrasharps has lasted 7 years I would expect the 4k's to do the same and I dont want to be stuck running Eyefinity/Surround for 1 monitor until 2020.

If it could be done elegantly Apple would already have it as a Retina model.

jwhit28

Oh I'm not buying anytime soon, I just want to know how they work. I saw that an EPL match was broadcast in 4k and I'm not sure who except for special presentation setups at stores could have even saw it.

Also Displayport has the bandwidth, so why is it still treated as 2 monitors?

Addnan

Most of the benchmarks at 4K all use crazy amounts of AA. Will they really be needed at 4K. The worst ones are when they use SSAO on top of 4K then say triple Titans could barely maintain 60fps.

In response to your question is it worth it now? I don't think so. Pcper did some testing recently with the new 4k monitors and it just isn't viable to do 4k at this point. Unless, you want to pay 3k or more for like 30fps. 120hz @120fps gaming sounds like something to try out in the mean time.

Azulsky

Oh I'm not buying anytime soon, I just want to know how they work. I saw that an EPL match was broadcast in 4k and I'm not sure who except for special presentation setups at stores could have even saw it.

Also Displayport has the bandwidth, so why is it still treated as 2 monitors?

There is a chip in the Monitor that actually controls the panel.

60Hz 4K chips do not exist, at least not in the volume for even a small production run for that panel type(IGZO). The 39'' panels are all 30Hz 4k.

Same reason why 1080p 120Hz is specced out for HDMI, but where are those monitors? They dont exist, because a controller chip has never been made.

Sony 4k is supposedly 240Hz + Backlight Strobing but they do everything in house.

Looking into upgrading some parts on my pc. want to get a new case, gpu and maybe cpu.

current parts
-i5 2500k
-ASUS P8P67 PRO LGA 1155
-gtx 560 ti
-corsair 750
-Antec Nine Hundred Two V3 ATX Mid Tower
-Antec Kuhler H2O 620
-corsair 8gb ram

want to get
-i7 4770k
-gtx 780
-new mid tower case (not sure which one)
-power supply? (not sure if i need a better one)

would i need to get a new mother board since im not sure if the cpu i want would be compatible with my current one and would anyone recommend me a good mid tower case? the one i have gets way too much dust and i need something with good cable management.

kharma45

Looking into upgrading some parts on my pc. want to get a new case, gpu and maybe cpu.

current parts
-i5 2500k
-ASUS P8P67 PRO LGA 1155
-gtx 560 ti
-corsair 750
-Antec Nine Hundred Two V3 ATX Mid Tower
-Antec Kuhler H2O 620
-corsair 8gb ram

want to get
-i7 4770k
-gtx 780
-new mid tower case (not sure which one)
-power supply? (not sure if i need a better one)

would i need to get a new mother board since im not sure if the cpu i want would be compatible with my current one and would anyone recommend me a good mid tower case? the one i have gets way too much dust and i need something with good cable management.

If you're just gaming the 4770K is a waste of money. You'd need a new mobo too. Just overclock your 2500K if you haven't already Your PSU is likely fine, get the R4 if you're after a new case.

TBH all I'd change is the GPU, but if you want a new case the R4 is great.

barugon

Overclock your CPU further if possible, it's still a very good CPU. Get a new graphics card, the 760 should be a good upgrade. 770/7970 would be even better and be within $400

Thanks, OCing a bit more shouldn't be a problem and I'll take a closer look at the 770.

WTF scan.co.uk?!

-The GPU is overdue by a week.
-Send them an email asking if they had an estimate
-They say it'll arrive from Taiwan over the course of this week
-Get an email just now, saying its been delayed even further

Bollocks to that. Time to start looking again.

Any suggestions?

kharma45

Might be best to just get a 670 :p they come with two games now, Splinter Cell and Batman: AO.

I'll have one last gander round at 7950 deals just incase though

Azulsky

No, I meant you can get a 770 with 4gb. You only pointed out the 2gb version. It would be quite a memory upgrade.

The memory is oversized for the GPU and the bus.

It doesnt hurt the performance but I am waiting for the benchmarks to prove any value on memory glutted gk104's. Just a waste of money from what I have seen.

Hitcher Overclockers have that MSI in stock at £200

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-190-MS

Scan also still have those 670s from MSI and a Gigabyte one now at £200 as well

It says 'With Free Games' but no details. I assume its the same Never Settle pack?

Think I'll go with it, 3 year warranty as well. Cheers :)

Is it roughly equal to the two Nvidias?

edit: ffs, have to wait for scan to open tomorrow so I can phoneand cancel the order. Might as well ask for a date when I ring up, and if its only delayed by a couple of days, keep the order. If longer, order one of the ones you recommended

kharma45

670 is better than the 7950 though. Why buy the inferior card! Unless recent drivers made it better.

670 just about edges it (and yes I know, FPS benches but they're both good with frame timings) http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/856?vs=830

It says 'With Free Games' but no details. I assume its the same Never Settle pack?

Think I'll go with it, 3 year warranty as well. Cheers :)

Is it roughly equal to the two Nvidias?

Appears to be according to their site. 670 is still a stonking deal, part of my gut is saying go with it instead.

Ok here's my situation. My PC is currently connected to both a monitor in my computer room and my television in my living room. I'd like to connect a second 120+ hz monitor in my computer room to go with my current IPS next time I upgrade my graphics card. Is this configuration doable? Basically triple monitor but I will only be using 2 monitors (60 hz and 120+ hz) or my television by itself at any given time.

mkenyon

Banned
Ok here's my situation. My PC is currently connected to both a monitor in my computer room and my television in my living room. I'd like to connect a second 120+ hz monitor in my computer room to go with my current IPS next time I upgrade my graphics card. Is this configuration doable? Basically triple monitor but I will only be using 2 monitors (60 hz and 120+ hz) or my television by itself at any given time.
As long as you have a free dual-link DVI or displayport connector, then yeah.

knitoe

No experience, but I've heard some positive things. Read a review on JohnnyGuru on the 1000W (I think?) version, and it was pretty glowing.

Looking at getting into benching/LN2?

My current 1000W PSU is 6 years old. It's probably degraded somewhat. I figure it's a good time to upgrade. And, I will probably be going Tri/Quad SLI once Intel's 8 core comes out next year.

I might just back out at the thought of 770 sli with the newer cards coming out. Perhaps at the thought of running 120 hz/120 fps set up. Thinking about it now, it will be very expensive to keep up.

What's a good responsive monitor?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom