• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 2. Haswell = #IntelnoTIM, but free online. READ THE OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Addnan

I went for the normal OS by CCL btw :)

Everything is ordered, just waiting for the SSD, SPU and Windows. Will build over the weekend and plug it in when I have the ISO done. Can you do anything with a PC before getting the OS sorted?

You can play in the BIOS and tease yourself of what's to come?

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
Bad news: :(

http://www.kitguru.net/components/memory/faith/hynix-fabs-on-fire-after-chemical-explosion/

Smoke-Fire-Hynix-KitGuru.jpg

September 4th, 2013 at 1:04 pm - Author faith

World DRAM prices are set to rocket as news comes in that Hynix FABs 1 and 2 have been engulfed in a ball of flame following a huge chemical explosion.

UPDATE: We have just heard that several major memory suppliers have stopped shipments – read more here.

Reports are still coming in, but the effects are immediate – with memory prices already shooting up by 10% in the first hour after reports started.

This is one of the main factories for nVidia GDDR5 we are told, so expect a major issue for the green team with production and pricing. That said, As nVidia begin to switch to other sources, so AMD’s price for Radeon RAM will also jump up.

Hynix makes 30% of the world’s memory in this area, and now it will lose half its production, so world production will drop by 15%.

All figures are approximate – we are getting news in from our Far East sources as we type.

tigerin

Exchanging parts are usually very simple. You can RMA the part and most will get it back to your pretty quick. As for complete returns for a refund I guess it would depend on where you buy from and their policy.

If you really want to build something for that much money just let us know and someone can help come up with something. The build I put together was a very rough estimate, might be able to get something a little better.

Just fill out the little survey in the OP

You just have to diagnose the faulty part yourself. I found it to be a bit slower than say dell who have people to the door next day to fix the problem.

Thanks for helpful advice!

My budget is going to be around $800. I'm not sure if that's powerful enough to play games(online multiplayer like cod/battlefield), surf the web, stream movies and Microsoft office.

I've been lurking this thread for a while, and I do have interest in building one but hesitant due to the fact i'm not sure if I will use it much. thus, the return issues.

tigerin

is it possible to build a 128/250 gb ssd computer without a hdd in it? I have a macbook air and i love how fast everything loads on it.

Addnan

is it possible to build a 128/250 gb ssd computer without a hdd in it? I have a macbook air and i love how fast everything loads on it.

If that is enough storage space for you then yes you can.

and $800 will get you a solid PC to be able to run those games. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1zT8c You will need to be able to get hold of OS, or buy a copy on top just an fyi. Have you discovered the great that is Steam sales? If not then you will not want to leave us :p

Could I balls anything up and brick the CPU if I played around with it? (I assume the CPU is the brains of the PC :p)

Which component measures the temperature/s btw?

Each component has their own sensors and you can check temps once in the OS. Bios shows CPU temps, but it's not always accurate. You can't really mess anything up no. Just don't go overclocking the CPU or anything until the OS is installed.

and $800 will get you a solid PC to be able to run those games. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1zT8c You will need to be able to get hold of OS, or buy a copy on top just an fyi. Have you discovered the great that is Steam sales? If not then you will not want to leave us :p

Each component has their own sensors and you can check temps once in the OS. Bios shows CPU temps, but it's not always accurate. You can't really mess anything up no. Just don't go overclocking the CPU or anything until the OS is installed.

Thanks, I'm predicting some matrix-style, strange-fonted numerical nonsense in the BIOS :D

Now that the part are nearly all here, I'm a bit petrified of breaking stuff and screwing up :(

fak edit: Wow, CCL are quick, order dispatched within an hour. Really easy and intuitive to make an account and pay on there as well

Addnan

Thanks, I'm predicting some matrix-style, strange-fonted numerical nonsense in the BIOS :D

Now that the part are nearly all here, I'm a bit petrified of breaking stuff and screwing up :(

fak edit: Wow, CCL are quick, order dispatched within an hour. Really easy and intuitive to make an account and pay on there as well
Watched enough how to videos? If not get on that and not the short 15mins ones. Watch the ones that actually explain everything.

Bios are not the same as they used to be, not that crappy blue stuff. New UEFI bios are like a modern OS in itself. Clean, easy to use.

Small tip. If anyone tells you to spread the thermal paste on the CPU, ignore them. That is not something they should be telling first time builders! Small pea sized in the middle and that's it done. If you need any help on the day, post, live stream, skype, whatever. Someone will be around.

Good luck.

TheExodu5

Banned
Trying to pick out an SSD for a friend...I told him he really needs to buy now before prices spike. What's the best to go with today? Samsung 840? There are quite a few models.

jet1911

Fuuuuuuu!

I wanted to wait a bit before buying a new GPU but now I don't think I have a choice. :(

If some of you could help me I'd appreciate, I'm not an expert :p

I have a GTX560 and I want to buy a GTX770. I have a 500W PSU and this mobo. It's compatible right? Don't really want to buy a new motherboard too. I'd like to buy a new fan and a new heatsink to overclock my CPU (i5 2500k @ 3.3GHz).

tigerin

I'm still learning about the names of the parts, but that build seems solid for the price. I'll definitely look into it more.

and yes, I have heard the greatness of Steam lol. I'm using gamefly and happy with the savings/service there, I'm afraid steam might not beat it tho. :/

TheExodu5

Banned
What's the difference between the standard 840 series and 840 EVO?

EVO seems a bit faster...different controller?

edit: newer drive with an SLC cache. Interesting.

Trying to help a friend build a cheap gaming PC, it can run on low-middle settings
Budget estimated 500, OS not included.

Would be used mainly for Civ 5 and CoD.

Tonezorz

I've been going back and forth between the 650 ti boost, 660, radeon 7850 and 7950 like crazy, can I get your guy's opinions on what GPU you would buy, (trying) to keep it under $200 but willing to do $250 if it's that much better?

Here is my current set-up, some arrives today and some I owned previously. (The SSD, PSU and Monitor)

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i3-4330 3.5GHz Dual-Core Processor ($149.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: MSI Z87-G45 Gaming ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($154.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Sniper 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($58.50 @ Newegg)
Storage: OCZ Vertex 60GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($114.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Antec One ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair Enthusiast 650W 80 PLUS Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($84.78 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium Full (32/64-bit) ($171.95 @ Amazon)
Monitor: Samsung S23B300B 60Hz 23.0" Monitor ($189.04 @ TigerDirect)

Also, is this newegg shell shocker worth it for an "upgrade" from my older OCZ drive?
Kingston HyperX 3K 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($89.99 @ Newegg)

kharma45

I've been going back and forth between the 650 ti boost, 660, radeon 7850 and 7950 like crazy, can I get your guy's opinions on what GPU you would buy, (trying) to keep it under $200 but willing to do $250 if it's that much better?

Here is my current set-up, some arrives today and some I owned previously. (The SSD, PSU and Monitor)

Storage: OCZ Vertex 60GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($114.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair Enthusiast 650W 80 PLUS Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($84.78 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium Full (32/64-bit) ($171.95 @ Amazon)
Monitor: Samsung S23B300B 60Hz 23.0" Monitor ($189.04 @ TigerDirect)

Also, is this newegg shell shocker worth it for an "upgrade" from my older OCZ drive?
Kingston HyperX 3K 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($89.99 @ Newegg)

Your prices are hugely off :S Did I not fix this before? Better parts, less money

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($229.98 @ Outlet PC)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 76.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($19.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: MSI Z87-G45 Gaming ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($153.98 @ Outlet PC)
Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($79.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon HD 7950 3GB Video Card ($203.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic M12II 750W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8 (OEM) (64-bit) ($88.88 @ Outlet PC)
Total: $945.28
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-09-04 12:33 EDT-0400)

Edit - What parts have you already bought? Yes that SSD is much better, more space and tons more reliable.

Mattiator

Hello all, got a new computer :).

I am looking to overclock.
I was wondering I could get some insight into overclocking a,
ASUS P8Z77-V Lk ATX LGA1155 Z77 with a Intel Core i5 3570K Unlocked.
I have the Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo Direct Touch 4 Heatpipe Heatsink .

Any advice on how to do it would be appreciated.
Thanks and have an awesome day!.

kennah

Hello all, got a new computer :).

I am looking to overclock.
I was wondering I could get some insight into overclocking a,
ASUS P8Z77-V Lk ATX LGA1155 Z77 with a Intel Core i5 3570K Unlocked.
I have the Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo Direct Touch 4 Heatpipe Heatsink .

Any advice on how to do it would be appreciated.
Thanks and have an awesome day!.

Read the op young one, read the op.

Just watched a newegg 40 minute build guide. Gonna watch a step-by-step by series as well, and rewatch that as I build, as I think I may have bitten off more than I can chew :p

Does the cooler come with a small tube of thermal paste?

kharma45

Just watched a newegg 40 minute build guide. Gonna watch a step-by-step by series as well, and rewatch that as I build, as I think I may have bitten off more than I can chew :p

Does the cooler come with a small tube of thermal paste?

TTL does a good guide too, and he's English too so you might prefer that :p

It does yeah.

Tonezorz

Your prices are hugely off :S Did I not fix this before? Better parts, less money

Edit - What parts have you already bought? Yes that SSD is much better, more space and tons more reliable.

I already own the SSD, PSU and the windows retail from my previous system that is being retired, so the prices for those are effectively $0.00.

I've already purchased the Case, Motherboard, CPU and RAM. It all arrives today. I'm sure newegg will let me swap out a few things if I wanted.

kharma45

I already own the SSD, PSU and the windows retail from my previous system that is being retired, so the prices for those are effectively $0.00.

I've already purchased the Case, Motherboard, CPU and RAM. It all arrives today. I'm sure newegg will let me swap out a few things if I wanted.

There is an option then in PCP to choose them as already purchased just so you're aware. GPU wise that Gigabyte 7950 at $200 I posted is a great deal.

Do I want to flatten it myself at all to help the spread, or just leave it as a blob?

Think I'll try an external assembly. Is the Fractal case good for cable management?

Blob. CPU cooler does the work for you.

It's great for cable management, and it has rubber grommets which I love. Wish my case did :(

Crisco

Banned
Do I want to flatten it myself at all to help the spread, or just leave it as a blob?

Think I'll try an external assembly. Is the Fractal case good for cable management?

I played around with this a good bit the last couple weeks. I tried line, blob, flattening out a fairly thick layer, and a fairly thin one. The differences were basically nil with my cooler. When you push that thing on there, it does 99% of the spreading for you. The only problem I ran into was trying to spread one layer as thin as possible, I let too much TIM go over the sides of the CPU and down around the socket. This led to my PC basically shutting itself down after a few minutes/seconds constantly. So my advice is blob in the middle, let the cooler do the spreading. It's the easiest, safest, and most repeatable method.

Tonezorz

There is an option then in PCP to choose them as already purchased just so you're aware. GPU wise that Gigabyte 7950 at $200 I posted is a great deal.

Oops! Ok I will find that option. I'm happy to order an SSD as well, if it's the "smart" thing to do here. Either the one you recommended or the shell shocker deal? (The V300 or the hyper x?)

(Or say screw it, use my old SSD and put the money into the GPU until the SSD fails?)

kharma45

Oops! Ok I will find that option. I'm happy to order an SSD as well, if it's the "smart" thing to do here. Either the one you recommended or the shell shocker deal? (The V300 or the hyper x?)

(Or say screw it, use my old SSD and put the money into the GPU until the SSD fails?)

HyperX is their more premium model.

I guess since you already have that SSD you might as well plough on with it, just keep everything important backed up.

$200 for this 7950 as I said in the other post is a good deal http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125414 worth jumping on it. You can also save the game voucher for when they refresh the Never Settle bundle.

Cheers guys

Couple more questions, as always

1. What do rubber grommets allow
2. If the pc works, will there be a buildup of static electricity which discharges when I next touch the innards?

Tonezorz

HyperX is their more premium model.

I guess since you already have that SSD you might as well plough on with it, just keep everything important backed up.

$200 for this 7950 as I said in the other post is a good deal http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125414 worth jumping on it. You can also save the game voucher for when they refresh the Never Settle bundle.

Thank you very much, will do on both! Any other suggestions before I slap it all together tonight? (Swap out the CPU as you suggested before?)

Storage: OCZ Vertex 60GB 2.5" Solid State Disk (Purchased For $0.00)
Power Supply: Corsair Enthusiast 650W 80 PLUS Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply (Purchased For $0.00)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium Full (32/64-bit) (Purchased For $0.00)
Monitor: Samsung S23B300B 60Hz 23.0" Monitor (Purchased For $0.00)
Total: $617.45

kharma45

Thank you very much, will do on both! Any other suggestions before I slap it all together tonight? (Swap out the CPU as you suggested before?)

Storage: OCZ Vertex 60GB 2.5" Solid State Disk (Purchased For $0.00)
Power Supply: Corsair Enthusiast 650W 80 PLUS Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply (Purchased For $0.00)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium Full (32/64-bit) (Purchased For $0.00)
Monitor: Samsung S23B300B 60Hz 23.0" Monitor (Purchased For $0.00)
Total: $617.45

If you can afford it yes. You're going to get an overclockable quad core and with a $20 cooler you'll get 20-30% better performance out of it. Will have a lot longer legs than the i3. Since you're paying for a Z87 mobo you might as well make use of it.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1zVmu
How is this for a cheap gaming rig?
It can run on low settings etc, it would be used mainly for civ V, Age of Empires 2+2 and Call of Duty Black Ops II. Would this be enough for a start?
I figure it supports crossfire, so I could crossfire another card later.

Component Selection Base Price Promo Shipping Tax Price Where
CPU AMD A10-6800K 4.1GHz Quad-Core Processor $149.29 FREE $149.29 Amazon
CPU Cooler
Zalman CNPS5X Performa CPU Cooler $16.98 $16.98 Outlet PC
Motherboard
ASRock FM2A75 Pro4-M Micro ATX FM2 Motherboard $69.99 FREE $69.99 Amazon
Memory
Mushkin Blackline 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2400 Memory $63.04 $63.04 NCIX US
Storage
Hitachi 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $44.99 FREE $44.99 Newegg
Apevia X-QPack2 Black/Silver MicroATX Desktop Case w/500W Power Supply $84.99 $13.99 $98.98 Newegg
Optical Drive
Samsung SH-224DB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer $19.99 -$5.00 FREE $14.99 Newegg
Operating System
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) $89.98 $89.98 Outlet PC

Zuggie

Neo Member
Just wanted to say thank you for this thread. It has helped immensely in building PC's for myself and friends/family.

kharma45

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1zVmu
How is this for a cheap gaming rig?
It can run on low settings etc, it would be used mainly for civ V, Age of Empires 2+2 and Call of Duty Black Ops II. Would this be enough for a start?
I figure it supports crossfire, so I could crossfire another card later.

Component Selection Base Price Promo Shipping Tax Price Where
CPU AMD A10-6800K 4.1GHz Quad-Core Processor $149.29 FREE $149.29 Amazon
CPU Cooler
Zalman CNPS5X Performa CPU Cooler $16.98 $16.98 Outlet PC
Motherboard
ASRock FM2A75 Pro4-M Micro ATX FM2 Motherboard $69.99 FREE $69.99 Amazon
Memory
Mushkin Blackline 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2400 Memory $63.04 $63.04 NCIX US
Storage
Hitachi 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $44.99 FREE $44.99 Newegg
Apevia X-QPack2 Black/Silver MicroATX Desktop Case w/500W Power Supply $84.99 $13.99 $98.98 Newegg
Optical Drive
Samsung SH-224DB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer $19.99 -$5.00 FREE $14.99 Newegg
Operating System
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) $89.98 $89.98 Outlet PC

DVD drive not needed, poor case and PSU. Do you have access to Windows through education or already have a machine with it on it?

Multi GPU isn't desirable either. Is that your max budget?

Tonezorz

If you can afford it yes. You're going to get an overclockable quad core and with a $20 cooler you'll get 20-30% better performance out of it. Will have a lot longer legs than the i3. Since you're paying for a Z87 mobo you might as well make use of it.

Ok, thanks again for all the help. I'll consider it, but will most likely end up staying with the 4330, and upgrading a little later on. I'm coming from an AMD Opteron 170. This is going to feel like I've entered a new plane of existence.

AlexMogil

Everything's in except the power supply and only 8gb ram, waiting on the other 8. I think I can go ahead and game without a power supply, right?

Right?

:(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom