• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 2. Haswell = #IntelnoTIM, but free online. READ THE OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Addnan

So I clicked on the link in the OP to the Race Your PC thread, then clicked the link to my motherboards guide but it seems that site is down nowadays.

Anyone in here able to suggest a good overclocking guide for a Z68XP-UD3 motherboard?

Guide.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mBEeXajbG2o http://www.overclock3d.net/reviews/cpu_mainboard/gigabyte_z77_overclocking_guide/1

It's Z77, but it is similar for Z68. Do you have an aftermarket cooler?

It is as easy as putting the multiplier to say 43 for a 4.3ghz clock and the voltage to something until it is stable. 1.2 should be enough, but varies between chips.

So, Splinter Cell Blacklist is acting up, every time I wait for a long ass update, I'm asked to do another one once it finishes, it been happening several times and I started refusing just to play the game.

At least you can play it.
The free promo code I got doesn't work at UPlay. I added it to cart but forgot my password. Reset my password and added it to cart again, and bam code don't work.

And to top it off, the serial number of my card doesn't work at Zotac.com so I can't even register for my 2 year warranty.

support tickets sent to both places so fingers crossed.

Hey PC Gaf. Need your help. Want the best build for a Lian Li PC-Q30. Will be gaming on it, so the best possible GPU available to fit the small chassis. Also, best possible motherboard for it as well. After the help I'll post my build. Thanks in advance.

Anton668

So a 256GB SSD is going for less than £100 on overclockers, so im very tempted by it, but I don't know what Plextor are like for quality, or if this SSD is any good (im not hot on SSD specs and such), what say gaf ? -

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=HD-008-PL

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6090/plextor-m5s-256gb-review/11

All in all, Plextor's M5S is a good drive but it doesn't really bring anything new to the market.
In a nutshell, the M5S performs exactly like the M3. It's not the fastest SSD in the market, but it provides balanced all-around performance.

Addnan

Hey PC Gaf. Need your help. Want the best build for a Lian Li PC-Q30. Will be gaming on it, so the best possible GPU available to fit the small chassis. Also, best possible motherboard for it as well. After the help I'll post my build. Thanks in advance.

For motherboard check OP, there's SSF builds in the second or third post. As for GPU maybe the GTX670 mini.

Thanks. I won't be overclocking my CPU. Mostly indie games.
I was curious how much it would cost, so I put a build together.
You could replace the SSD with an HDD to save some money, but keep in mind that you are paying a pretty hefty premium for the case and GPU. Opting for something just a little bigger would save you some serious dosh.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4570 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($189.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Gemin II S524 77.7 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($38.48 @ Outlet PC)
Motherboard: Asus H87I-PLUS Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard ($107.46 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($59.98 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Samsung 840 Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($159.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card ($310.66 @ Newegg)
Case: Lian-Li PC-Q30X Mini ITX Tower Case ($134.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: Silverstone 450W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified SFX12V Power Supply ($59.98 @ NCIX US)
Total: $1061.52
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-09-07 08:01 EDT-0400)

I've never had a PC component die from a static shock but the threat is real. I lost a PS2 controller and a Rockband Guitar to it. Be sure to ground yourself especially if your building on a carpet.

So, I'm thinking of buying a new video card as its time I start slowly upgrading my PC that I've built over 4 years ago.Any suggestions?

Current Specs:

GPU: Nvidia 8800 GTS 512 mb
CPU: Intel Q6600 Quad Core OC'd to about 3.0 GHz
RAM: 4 gigs (Forget brand)
Motherboard: MSI P35 Neo2
Body: Antec 900 case

I was looking at this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125443

But I've been out of the hardware loop for a little while, so maybe thats a completely stupid idea. I'm really not trying to spend to much over $200-$250.

Thanks! Hope someone has some suggestions!

Addnan

So, I'm thinking of buying a new video card as its time I start slowly upgrading my PC that I've built over 4 years ago.Any suggestions?

Current Specs:

GPU: Nvidia 8800 GTS 512 mb
CPU: Intel Q6600 Quad Core OC'd to about 3.0 GHz
RAM: 4 gigs (Forget brand)
Motherboard: MSI P35 Neo2
Body: Antec 900 case

I was looking at this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125443

But I've been out of the hardware loop for a little while, so maybe thats a completely stupid idea. I'm really not trying to spend to much over $200-$250.

Thanks! Hope someone has some suggestions!
You would see an improvement in games that are not very CPU bound at all, but really the Q6600 is now becoming a dated CPU and it would be time to start looking into a new build. Any game that are CPU heavy you would not see much improvement at all.

You would see an improvement in games that are not very CPU bound at all, but really the Q6600 is now becoming a dated CPU and it would be time to start looking into a new build. Any game that are CPU heavy you would not see much improvement at all.

Yeah, I am litterally on Newegg now looking at some CPU's. Any thoughts on http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819113284 ?

Also, this may sound stupid, but if I were to buy a new CPU, would I need to purchase a new mother board to install it? Or can I just pop my old one out.

Hell, I mean if you could, feel like reccomending me a new GPU/CPU/RAM that are decently priced for their performance? I could use it as a starting point to begin upgrading my rig.

Addnan

Just to make sure, is there a problem with laying the components on top of carpet, with stray fibres gtting into the nooks and crannies?

Try to avoid carpet since you are now really susceptible to static (very bad for these components).

Find a place with a bare floor (like a Kitchen plus you get the added benefit of a stable and level surface with the it's counter/table).

Addnan

Yeah, I am litterally on Newegg now looking at some CPU's. Any thoughts on http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819113284 ?

Also, this may sound stupid, but if I were to buy a new CPU, would I need to purchase a new mother board to install it? Or can I just pop my old one out.

Hell, I mean if you could, feel like reccomending me a new GPU/CPU/RAM that are decently priced for their performance? I could use it as a starting point to begin upgrading my rig.

If you fill out the questions in the OP someone would be more than happy to help you out.

Thorgal

Question . are wireless keyboards just bad ?

The thing works fine for the most time although sometimes it stops working while playing a game.
also regularly i experience something like " lag " where when i am typing something nothing happens on screen for a sec or 2 and then suddenly the text appears with random letters missing.

so is it my board alone or all of them like that ?

Album of the parts

http://imgur.com/a/kcxf0

Group shot :p

k6JJNzjh.jpg

Now, onto the srs bsnss

Use your kitchen floor

Try to avoid carpet since you are now really susceptible to static (very bad for these components).

Find a place with a bare floor (like a Kitchen plus you get the added benefit of a stable and level surface with the it's counter/table).

Cheers, I'll use the desk in my bedroom, its about 5 foot wide but the depth could be a problem, got less than 2 feet

Coldsnap

Something wonky going on with my computer. Games keep crashing either to desktop or getting a windows crashed message. Stable in Prime with temps from 57-63* at 4.8ghz. I think maybe it's my video card. I'm not sure what it is.

Addnan

Now there's an idea...

:p

Is it a problem to be standing on a carpet in socks?

It could be, go wear some rubber sandals :p

Keep discharging any static build up onto the inside of your case. I mean you probably won't damage your parts, but the risk is increased when standing around on carpet.

amardilo

Is now a good time to buy a gaming PC?

I have a rough idea of what I want (16GB RAM, 256GB SSD, GTX 770 and a Core i7) and I have a budget of £1500.

I am not too desperate to play any games right now (and my notebook is just about running for my work stuff but it is overheating and it's not the quickest). But I would like one in time to play some of the big budget games coming out this year like Watch Dogs.

Are the likes of Intel, nVidia and ASUS going to release anything new before the big AAA games come out in November (and the next gen consoles)? Can I get even more for my money if I wait a few months?

Seanspeed

Banned
Can I get even more for my money if I wait a few months?
You can usually always get more for your money if you wait.

But yea, AMD is coming out with the 9xxx series here in Nov(?).

I'd say if there's nothing that you'd really like to play right now, then wait til there is.

Coldsnap

So what's the proper diagnostic for every game crashing to windows after a few minutes. My GTX 780 seems to running fine when it is, can't finish a proper Valley benchmark without it crashing but the temps and frames are normal. Needs more volts? I've had it for about 2 months and played Witcher 2 for 120 hours at max and it never hiccuped, why would it act up now?

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
Something wonky going on with my computer. Games keep crashing either to desktop or getting a windows crashed message. Stable in Prime with temps from 57-63* at 4.8ghz. I think maybe it's my video card. I'm not sure what it is.

My games crashed at 4.5 ghz but everything ran fine in prime95. Dialed it back to 4.4ghz everything fine. Try reducing to 4.5 as a first step in isolating the problem.

For the Lian-Li pc-q30, what is the largest GPU I can fit inside it?
What motherboard will I need to complement said GPU (not looking to overclock)?
Do I need a CPU cooler for this set up? If so, what will fit said chassis?
What PSU will I need to fit said chassis?

I think once I resolve the lingering questions, I will be able to purchase my parts. I would love to display the build for you. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Addnan

For the Lian-Li pc-q30, what is the largest GPU I can fit inside it?
What motherboard will I need to complement said GPU (not looking to overclock)?
Do I need a CPU cooler for this set up? If so, what will fit said chassis?
What PSU will I need to fit said chassis?

I think once I resolve the lingering questions, I will be able to purchase my parts. I would love to display the build for you. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Give us a budget. Otherwise there is no limit to how good you can make a PC.

Someone posted a build for you in the last page. Not sure what else you are looking for. That case can house up to a 7.8" graphics, of which the 670 mini will be the best buy. Anything better than that goes to 11 inch plus.

You will need a SFX power supply.

No you won't need a seperate cooler, just use the one Intel give.

Thebrokenleg

Neo Member
Check that all your memory is still being properly detected. Sticks crap out sometimes.

They all seem to be properly detected and I also ran a Memtest 86 scan overnight without errors.

It's all just so weird. I mean, I can pretty much run a graphically heavy game like Skyrim with almost no problems, while other graphically heavy (and light) games such as Sleeping Dogs (and Minecraft) barerly plays well at all, even though they did before. It sucks really.

kidko

Finally got a chance to do my parts upgrade last night. Went from a Q6600 rig to a 4670k / MSI G45 gaming rig. Very happy that all of my parts booted up nicely on the first try, although I was surprised that it booted into an EFI prompt with no drives attached!

I hadn't seen EFI since I worked in a data center 8ish years ago. Is there anything interesting you can do with it on a workstation/gaming PC?

zeelman

Is getting a defective DX Clip-on mic pretty commmon? I have to put the mic right in front of my mouth for it to pick up my voice. Should I try ordering more then one next time?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom