• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 2. Haswell = #IntelnoTIM, but free online. READ THE OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Katyusha

You try it on multiple PC's?

It's unlikely that they would send it out if it weren't working.

I haven't just yet. I do find it weird that this one isn't working on my PC, I mean, the fans are spinning so it seems to be getting power.

I hope it's not my computer just crapping out on me. The old card seemed to work just fine...until it died

mkenyon

Banned
It is probably fake 120Hz.
Nope, been confirmed.

It originally was displaying at a variance of 120 and 60 (so basically skipping some frames) as the firmware forced it to 60hz if it dropped to 119.9Hz. They've since fixed it.
I haven't just yet. I do find it weird that this one isn't working on my PC, I mean, the fans are spinning so it seems to be getting power.

I hope it's not my computer just crapping out on me. The old card seemed to work just fine...until it died
If the fans are spinning, there has to be something else going on. Try a different PCI-E slot, make sure you can get some sort of signal through your onboard, etc.

Katyusha

Yeah, I'll see if I can convince my sister to get off LoL for once.

I built her a damn computer and all she does is play that game.

In my experience a CPU holds out for about 4 years before becoming a concern, assuming you bought it near release.

Hmmmm... My i7 930 is nearing 4 years old and is basically just an i7 920 which is 5+ years old now. It's holding up very strong and looks to be capable enough to keep up during at least the start of a console generational transition. If there's no major paradigm shift, I don't think it's unreasonable to think a reasonably OCed i5 3570k could hold out at least for the majority of the upcoming generation.

Katyusha

So I tried the old 6850 in my PC, and what do you know? It works!

So maybe this is a good sign

Edit: Obviously the 6850 draws less power than the 7950. Should I be getting my hopes up?

hemtae

I switched my CPU cooler to a H60 to get it quieter.

My CPU now idles at about 40C which is a bit higher than before however under a stress test it goes to 100C at stock clock speed. I'm pretty sure it isn't suppose to be doing that but as far as I know everything is plug in and working so I don't really know what to do.

maneil99

I switched my CPU cooler to a H60 to get it quieter.

My CPU now idles at about 40C which is a bit higher than before however under a stress test it goes to 100C at stock clock speed. I'm pretty sure it isn't suppose to be doing that but as far as I know everything is plug in and working so I don't really know what to do.

Were you at stock before? I hate the Corsair H series for the simple fact often its not installed right. Not their fault.Check if the back-plate is loose, often you need washers to put in

hemtae

Were you at stock before? I hate the Corsair H series for the simple fact often its not installed right. Not their fault.Check if the back-plate is loose, often you need washers to put in

Yeah, that was kinda the problem. Thank you so much

Went to Microcenter to pick this up today :)

img_7919pjlz3.jpg

Dmax3901

Is now a good time to buy a new GPU (my current 1gb 6950 is just not cutting it these days) or is it best to wait til the end of the year?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Is now a good time to buy a new GPU (my current 1gb 6950 is just not cutting it these days) or is it best to wait til the end of the year?
Depends how much you want to drop on an upgrade.
A 7950 3GB for $200 is insanity + 3 AAA games.

If you wait the new top end cards (x970, x950) should be out by the end of the year from AMD I think (Haven't checked 100%)

Dmax3901

Depends how much you want to drop on an upgrade.
A 7950 3GB for $200 is insanity + 3 AAA games.

If you wait the new top end cards (x970, x950) should be out by the end of the year from AMD I think (Haven't checked 100%)

Probably should mention I'm from Australia, can I get a link to for where that card is $200?

Dmax3901

nvm you're fucked

What's your budget, and what did you want to play at what res?

$300-$350 range? I don't think I could spend $400 without feeling super guilty.

I want to be able to play BF4, Rome II, Watch Dogs, GTA V (inevitably), Planetside 2, Arma 3 etc at max settings and 1080p. Downsampling is fun but I can live without it.

I imagine this is entirely down to personal preference, but is it better to assemble the PC on a desk, or on the floor? I'm thinking of setting the components around me, hooking the laptop up to the TV, and watching a build guide as I sit on the floor and assemble

Excited, been waiting a couple of weeks to get to this point :D

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
$300-$350 range? I don't think I could spend $400 without feeling super guilty.

I want to be able to play BF4, Rome II, Watch Dogs, GTA V (inevitably), Planetside 2, Arma 3 etc at max settings and 1080p. Downsampling is fun but I can live without it.
Likes CPU, likes CPU, probably will like CPU, likes CPU, needs a 4Ghz+ Intel, likes CPU

If you can pony $400 or $450 for the 9950 in October(ish) I'd say that would be the way to go and make sure you have a real fast CPU.
I imagine this is entirely down to personal preference, but is it better to assemble the PC on a desk, or on the floor? I'm thinking of setting the components around me, hooking the laptop up to the TV, and watching a build guide as I sit on the floor and assemble

I've done floor since I don't have any solid and large tables around me.

danthefan

Always made mine on the floor, don't think it makes much of a difference. You'd need a big enough desk. Is it your first build? Keep a torch handy.

Me too, and I always hope they post pictures of their builds.

So please guys, more pictures of your ongoing builds!

I plan on taking metric fuck-tonne of photos this afternoon

Every individual boxed component
Labelled group shot of boxed components
Every individual unboxed component
Labelled group shot of unboxed components
Captioned shot of every single stage of assembly
Recording of first ever boot, with inevitable profanity when it doesn't work

The photos will all be here if you're interested :D

I'll be posting pictures of my build in the middle of next week. It's the first time I went with a fresh build. Hope it goes well. I hope it would look sweet.

Sajjaja

How recommended is getting a motherboard with PCIe 3.0 on a budget build? I'm looking at getting a FX 6300 with a 7850 but I'm not savvy enough to know whether or not I need to worry about PCIe 3.0.

Addnan

How recommended is getting a motherboard with PCIe 3.0 on a budget build? I'm looking at getting a FX 6300 with a 7850 but I'm not savvy enough to know whether or not I need to worry about PCIe 3.0.

Already bought the CPU? If not fill out the questions in the OP. You would be better off with an Intel if you are gaming.

Which newish motherboard doesn't have PCIE3? Any decent one will, but no you won't need PCIE3 for that card.

lolmoose

Neo Member
Having a weird issue tonight. When i'm finding a game during CS:GO, my keyboard and headset (USB) lose power for a couple seconds and turn back on.. it happens a couple times before I find a game. Anyone ever have a similar issue/fix? Thanks!

Sajjaja

Already bought the CPU? If not fill out the questions in the OP. You would be better off with an Intel if you are gaming.

Which newish motherboard doesn't have PCIE3? Any decent one will, but no you won't need PCIE3 for that card.

I was looking around for mobos for the AM3+ socket and there don't seem to be many around, atleast not at the 3 or so local stores I looked around at, that have PCIe 3.0 support.

Was looking at this specifically: http://ncix.com/products/?sku=76798&vpn=M5A97LER2.0&manufacture=ASUS (Seems like it's not worth this one)

And I'm not really sure my budget yet. I'm not looking to spend big money so I'm just feeling out the most bang for buck market and my understanding is that AMD excels there. And no, i haven't bought anything yet.

Addnan

I don't really know many AM3+ board, but the best way to build a PC is to have a final budget and build around that, rather than by per part. Intel is still recommended in the low to mid end of PC gaming builds.

Dmax3901

Likes CPU, likes CPU, probably will like CPU, likes CPU, needs a 4Ghz+ Intel, likes CPU

If you can pony $400 or $450 for the 9950 in October(ish) I'd say that would be the way to go and make sure you have a real fast CPU.

Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2500K CPU @ 3.30GHz (4 CPUs), ~3.6GHz

is what I have. I've heard that this gen CPUs will last you a long time, is mine good enough for that sentence to apply or will I need to upgrade that too?

Addnan

Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2500K CPU @ 3.30GHz (4 CPUs), ~3.6GHz

is what I have. I've heard that this gen CPUs will last you a long time, is mine good enough for that sentence to apply or will I need to upgrade that too?

2500K is still very good, not much worth upgrading to from that. You should overclock that CPU though. 4ghz is easy, anything above that might need a little tweaking, but still doable. Check op for details.

Dmax3901

2500K is still very good, not much worth upgrading to from that. You should overclock that CPU though. 4ghz is easy, anything above that might need a little tweaking, but still doable. Check op for details.

I think I will try to overclock, been meaning to for awhile. Thanks for the advice.

What kind of performance gain can I expect from changing my 3.6 to 4ghz?

Jeb

So, Splinter Cell Blacklist is acting up, every time I wait for a long ass update, I'm asked to do another one once it finishes, it been happening several times and I started refusing just to play the game.

Addnan

I think I will try to overclock, been meaning to for awhile. Thanks for the advice.

What kind of performance gain can I expect from changing my 3.6 to 4ghz?
I don't have the charts. mkenyon has a pretty good one comparing overclocks. 0.4 should give you a decent boost. However Sandy Bridge can generally go much higher, should be aiming for 4.5ish at least.

Dmax3901

So I clicked on the link in the OP to the Race Your PC thread, then clicked the link to my motherboards guide but it seems that site is down nowadays.

Anyone in here able to suggest a good overclocking guide for a Z68XP-UD3 motherboard?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom