• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 2. Haswell = #IntelnoTIM, but free online. READ THE OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Azulsky

Rapid is disabled by default on the Pro. In fact I don't even think it's supported by anything but the EVO's.

Didnt know if it was out yet or not. None of my peoples have reported any problems with Pro models. Two friends have 2 in RAID 0 and another uses the small capacity version as boot drive. I dont have any issues with the EVO model and I have Magician on startup.

How many seconds does it last for? Maybe its indicative of another problem.

vilmer_

Didnt know if it was out yet or not. None of my peoples have reported any problems with Pro models. Two friends have 2 in RAID 0 and another uses the small capacity version as boot drive. I dont have any issues with the EVO model and I have Magician on startup.

How many seconds does it last for? Maybe its indicative of another problem.

I think it's just the software to be honest. Once the issue settles, everything is smooth sailing. Just weird that nothing has changed until I went to test this drive out.

mhayze

Newegg has listed:

MicroATX Desktop (23)
MicroATX Mid Tower (20)
MicroATX Mini Tower (41)
MicroATX Slim Case (9)
Mini-ITX Desktop (19)
Mini-ITX Tower (41)

What is the difference here and what should I be looking at for SFF?

Micro-ATX vs Mini ITX - mainly a matter of size and expandability - expansion slots go from 4 to 2 (or 1)
Desktop: horizontal layout.
Mid Tower - usually 2x5.25" slots, plus a few 3.5" in a traditional tower
Mini Tower - usually a single 5.25 slot
Slim Case - some other slim form factor

Hope that helps

Coldsnap

Dialed back my over clock tonight. Was at 4.8ghz, 1.49volts, 67*C at load. Went down to 4.7, 1.32volts, 57*C load with fans running slower.

Micro-ATX vs Mini ITX - mainly a matter of size and expandability - expansion slots go from 4 to 2 (or 1)
Desktop: horizontal layout.
Mid Tower - usually 2x5.25" slots, plus a few 3.5" in a traditional tower
Mini Tower - usually a single 5.25 slot
Slim Case - some other slim form factor

Hope that helps

Thanks

neoanarch

What a horrible weekend.

I just had a massive HDD failure. Chkdsk managed to repair the drive but I've lost my W7 install. Doesn't seem to be a hardware fault but whats the best method or software to test the drive to be sure?

Zaph

Any UK Gaffers need a dirt cheap 60GB SSD? Aria have OCZ Agility recerts for £25. Wouldn't use it for anything important.

What a horrible weekend.

I just had a massive HDD failure. Chkdsk managed to repair the drive but I've lost my W7 install. Doesn't seem to be a hardware fault but whats the best method or software to test the drive to be sure?
Replace it.

Software diagnostics might tell you your drive has a serious issue but it'll then go on to last years. Or the drive is fine but it'll fail again tomorrow.

It's always best to replace mechanical drives at the first sign of trouble (unusual sounds, lengthy access times etc) or after a couple years - whichever comes first.

kharma45

Thanks a lot. I'll look more in-depth into those parts later tonight. I figured I wouldn't be able to reuse my RAM for that exact reason. It seems not a lot of mobos have 6 RAM slots, and I don't want to downgrade.

I was sort if hoping that someone would have a magic fix, but I followed a number of guides on troubleshooting an issue like this, and got to the part in all of them where they said "if you get this far your motherboard is probably dead", so I wasn't hopeful. I'll settle for having the info needed to rebuild, which looks like I'm off to a good start on.

If it's any comfort, your cpu is still worth between 100-150. Ram is 5-10 per stick (keep 4 until you want to upgrade)

Yeah it would be worth flogging bits of that PC.

CX only if you are going for a very budget build. Their AX series is their best, Seasonic units.

Ok, thanks for the help, I'll wait then. This isn't a build for me, it's for a friend and I'm trying to eek out as much gaming performance as I can with his $800 but I definitely don't want to recommend poor quality components that will crap out on him. His plan is to buy between now and the end of the year and I suggested waiting until AMD's 9000 series cards are revealed. In the mean time I was trying to keep an eye out for exceptionally good deals on components that are worth jumping on now.

If I were to recommend a build now it would look like this I think (he requires bluray, unfortunately):

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($239.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 76.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($19.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z87M-D3H 1.0 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($114.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Kingston Blu Red Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 Memory ($48.96 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon HD 7950 3GB Video Card ($203.98 @ Newegg)
Case: NZXT Source 210 Elite (White) ATX Mid Tower Case ($43.53 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair CX 500W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($34.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Asus BC-12B1ST/BLK/B/AS Blu-Ray Reader, DVD/CD Writer ($48.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $795.41
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-09-09 09:08 EDT-0400)

But if the CX is only for extremely low budget builds, I'll likely swap it out.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
Dialed back my over clock tonight. Was at 4.8ghz, 1.49volts, 67*C at load. Went down to 4.7, 1.32volts, 57*C load with fans running slower.

1.49 volts... good god. That would terrify me. Personally, I don't think the performance gain between 4.7 and 4.8 ghz is worth running your CPU @ 1.49 volts 24/7.

Xena

Here's one I threw together for you:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($319.98 @ Outlet PC)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H60 54.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($49.99 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: MSI Z77 MPOWER ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($175.98 @ Outlet PC)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($139.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($176.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Green 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive ($98.00 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 780 3GB Video Card ($659.99 @ NCIX US)
Sound Card: Asus Xonar DGX 24-bit 96 KHz Sound Card ($30.98 @ Outlet PC)
Case: Corsair C70 Military Green (Green) ATX Mid Tower Case ($99.99 @ Microcenter)
Power Supply: Corsair 760W 80 PLUS Platinum Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($140.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($18.48 @ Outlet PC)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8 (OEM) (64-bit) ($88.88 @ Outlet PC)
Total: $2000.24
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-09-08 03:37 EDT-0400)

There's no peripherals there (so no keyboard & mouse or headset/speakers), just the system itself. Obviously you could save some money to use towards those if you wanted to - you could drop the CPU down to an i5-3570K or the RAM down to 8GB, drop the cooler down to a 212 EVO or the SSD to 128GB/storage drive to 1TB. You could also lose the DVD drive and sound card as they're not really necessary :)
Wow, thank you sir for taking your time helping me out! Now I can't wait to build it!!!

dalyr95

My Radeon 4870x2 has finally gone to the great fab in the sky.

I'm looking at replacing it with AMD Radeon HD 7870, but is it worth the extra ~£100 for the AMD Radeon HD 7970?

kharma45

My Radeon 4870x2 has finally gone to the great fab in the sky.

I'm looking at replacing it with AMD Radeon HD 7870, but is it worth the extra ~£100 for the AMD Radeon HD 7970?

Get a 670 at £200 http://www.scan.co.uk/products/2gb-...8mhz-gddr5-gpu-1019mhz-boost-1079mhz-plus-fre

Should come with Splinter Cell and Batman for free. If you want too there are the lower binned ones that can't really overclock too at £180 http://www.scan.co.uk/products/2gb-...915mhz-core-boost-980mhz-gddr5-6008mhz-memory but if you can go for the £200 one.

Addnan

Where do I get this in the UK ;_; from a reputable retailer and not some third party seller.

OBz0QZu.png

No chance of this coming to the UK by the 30th is there. Need to order this shit for small PC soon.

mkenyon

Banned
Where do I get this in the UK ;_; from a reputable retailer and not some third party seller.

OBz0QZu.png

No chance of this coming to the UK by the 30th is there. Need to order this shit for small PC soon.
Can you order from Caseking.de? They'd probably have it.

Anyone got any tips for opning a PC up to the internet when your connection is Limited? It was unlimited for long enough to grab my msn details, but it won;t let me do anything online now. The troubleshooting guide is useless :(

edit: Fixed, just copied my laptop's internet connection details into the new PC's fields :D

Addnan

Anyone got any tips for opning a PC up to the internet when your connection is Limited? It was unlimited for long enough to grab my msn details, but it won;t let me do anything online now. The troubleshooting guide is useless :(

edit: Fixed, just copied my laptop's internet connection details into the new PC's fields :D

Have you installed your dongle things drivers? If you have also installed the lan drivers for your onboard uninstall just in case it is causing any conflict.

edit: you fixed/.

nbthedude

I had this problem for the last two weeks. It was driving me crazy because it would work for a while, I'd reboot my router and sometimes it would work again. Every guide/tip I found online (which led me down some crazy rabbit holes) were to no avail.

Eventually I gave up and went and bought a new router and that fixed it. You may try moving yours closer if wireless or using a different cable if wired.

Good luck.

kharma45

Sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo, where all da pics?

Thinking about snagging this 7950.

Can anyone vouch for or against this particular card? My budget is $200, and from my research it seems this card might be the best in that price range.

So it does, it's a great buy at that price.

Cool, thanks! I think I'll grab it. Planning on getting a 1440P monitor soon, and my old and trusty 460GTX just isn't going to cut it at 1440P. =( I don't care too much about top performance, and honestly don't play a ton of super high end games, so from what I've read the 7950 should be able to handle most things with medium to high settings at 1440P and maintain at least 30FPS.

RSTEIN

So it looks like BF4 just threw down the gauntlet. Recommended GPU memory is 3gb. I think this is the first time this has happened...

Addnan

So it looks like BF4 just threw down the gauntlet. Recommended GPU memory is 3gb. I think this is the first time this has happened...

The optimum specs for Last Light is Titan, so not really. Think we should wait until launch before everyone goes crazy upgrading :p

RSTEIN

The optimum specs for Last Light is Titan, so not really. Think we should wait until launch before everyone goes crazy upgrading :p

Yeah, that's optimum. I'm talking recommended. Recommended for Last Light was 660. No minimum memory explicitly given (as far as I can see).

Addnan

Yeah, that's optimum. I'm talking recommended. Recommended for Last Light was 660. No minimum memory explicitly given (as far as I can see).
Yeah this is the first time. We shall know once the game launches just how much it effects gameplay. If its like BF3 the game will adapt to the lower VRAM. People with 670, 770, 690(!) etc are getting worried and wanting to upgrade. Just trying to save them money!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom