• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 2. Haswell = #IntelnoTIM, but free online. READ THE OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
Yeah this is the first time. We shall know once the game launches just how much it effects gameplay. If its like BF3 the game will adapt to the lower VRAM. People with 670, 770, 690(!) etc are getting worried and wanting to upgrade. Just trying to save them money!

Yeah, I'm sure 2gb is fine. If I had 2gb, I would not upgrade. The recommended 3gb is a bit of a shock to me, all the same. Next-gen is officially here!

jester

Neo Member
Pretty much buy a hard drive and put it in a USB3 case.

Maybe get these 2 bits

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822236221
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182276

You have plenty of enclosure options for 2.5'' and USB3. Vantec,Rosewill, Silverstone

Dont buy a prebuilt external drive. Have seen waaaay too many fail.

You could always get a SSD too but you pretty much have 2 options for 1TB the Samsung 840 EVO or the Crucial M4. That would solve any performance issues but you will always be bottlenecked by the USB3

The other option is to get an external with ESATA. I have not seen 2.5'' enclosures for this.

Right now I am using a USB 3.0 enclosure I got from Amazon with the 60GB hard drive from my PS3. Now, I know this drive is old and is only 5400RPM, but when I performed a read/write test I only got a max read speed of 37MB/sec. Is that normal with this hard drive or is my enclosure defective?

LordAlu

Battlefield 4 Specs are out:

1175633_510037742414935_1564304088_n-png.3096

Get those 3GB+ VRAM cards ready :D

Addnan

Only showing the SSD (C:) and DVD Drive (D:) as destinations for steam games, although WIndows is recognising the PC as having a 1TB HDD. The SSD and HDD are both inserted into Drive 1 on the PSU, could that explain it?

Go into disk management and assign a letter to your HDD.

Battlefield 4 Specs are out:

http://battlefieldo.com/attachments/1175633_510037742414935_1564304088_n-png.3096/[/]

Get those 3GB+ VRAM cards ready :D[/QUOTE]
Trading a 690 for a 660 3GB :D [SPOILER]I don't have 690[/SPOILER]

So my MSI GTX 560 Ti up and decided to do this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAtD0NkDAcY

As a result I'm looking to replace it and I've narrowed down my choices to the below:

1. EVGA GeForce GTX770 Classified with EVGA ACX Cooler 4GB GDDR5 256-Bit Dual-Link DVI-I DVI-D HDMI DP SLI Ready Graphics Card
2. EVGA GeForce GTX780 SuperClocked w/EVGA ACX Cooler 3GB GDDR5 384bit, DVI-I, DVI-D, HDMI,DP, SLI Ready (03G-P4-2784-KR)

Currently thinking about going with the 770 since I'm not too convinced spending $150 more on a 780 will give that much of a performance increase. Thoughts?

kennah

So my MSI GTX 560 Ti up and decided to do this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAtD0NkDAcY

As a result I'm looking to replace it and I've narrowed down my choices to the below:

1. EVGA GeForce GTX770 Classified with EVGA ACX Cooler 4GB GDDR5 256-Bit Dual-Link DVI-I DVI-D HDMI DP SLI Ready Graphics Card
2. EVGA GeForce GTX780 SuperClocked w/EVGA ACX Cooler 3GB GDDR5 384bit, DVI-I, DVI-D, HDMI,DP, SLI Ready (03G-P4-2784-KR)

Currently thinking about going with the 770 since I'm not too convinced spending $150 more on a 780 will give that much of a performance increase. Thoughts?

Go for the 780. The 770 is basically just a 680. 780 can overclock to near Titan levels.

Seanbob11

Hey guys. Building a new rig to be able to play BF4 and Rome 2 (When it gets fixed). I'm looking at this GPU. Should I wait till for the new cards to come out (which I believe is soon) or just get this. Or is there a better card I should get for that kinda price bracket?

Cheers.

Azulsky

Hey guys. Building a new rig to be able to play BF4 and Rome 2 (When it gets fixed). I'm looking at this GPU. Should I wait till for the new cards to come out (which I believe is soon) or just get this. Or is there a better card I should get for that kinda price bracket?

Cheers.

Looks like mid October for new AMD stuff. Up to you.

Keikaku

Cross posting from TechSupportGAF, but it looks like I need to get a new graphics card.
After it does that, it usually crashes. Sometimes it staggers on for a while then crashes. My drivers are all up to date.

Here's the rest of the info on my computer.
CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K @3.3Ghz LGA 1155 90W
RAM: CORSAIR Vengeance 4GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
Motherboard: ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68
GPU: HIS H489F1GP Radeon HD 4890 1GB 256-bit GDDR5
PSU: SeaSonic M12D SS-750 750W ATX12V V2.3/EPS12V V2.92 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS SILVER Certified
Case: Antec P183 Black Aluminum / Steel / Plastic ATX Mid Tower

Budget: $250 in the US

Main Use: Rate 1-5. 5 being Highest:
5 Gaming,
0 Emulation (PS2/Wii),
2 Video Editing,
0 Streaming games in HD,
5 3D/Model work in Zbrush and Maya/Max,
4 General Usage (Word, Web, 1080p playback).

Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080 for games and apps. I'm looking to upgrade 1-2 years down the line. Have a second monitor that runs at 1280x960 that isn't for gaming and I'm not looking to buy a new one.

List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well:
Zbrush
3DS Max/Maya 2011+
Most modern games. I can currently run pretty much anything on this computer so I'd like the same with my new GPU.
30FPS+ is just dandy

Looking to reuse any parts?
I don't want anything other than a new graphics card so I'll be reusing everything though I realize that I may need a new power supply/case.

When will you build?
ASAP. Hopefully tomorrow or day after. I'm looking to rush order my parts.

Will you be overclocking?
No.

Keikaku

The Gigabyte 7950 at $200 after rebate at Amazon/Newegg is the best buy in USA right now.
Will I need a new PSU or case or anything or can I just plug-and-play it right into my existing hardware? I'm not crazy and those pics do show my GPU giving up the ghost right?

Addnan

Will I need a new PSU or case or anything or can I just plug-and-play it right into my existing hardware? I'm not crazy and those pics do show my GPU giving up the ghost right?

PSU is more than enough and the case should have enough space. I'm pretty sure that case allows you to remove the top half of the Hard drive bay to make more room too.

Keikaku

PSU is more than enough and the case should have enough space. I'm pretty sure that case allows you to remove the top half of the Hard drive bay to make more room too.
Thanks for your help! Just got it off Amazon and should have it on the 11th.

Got everything working, seems that the Stalker complete mod is not compatible with Windows 8 though :(

Also, is it normal to get sporadic bouts of horrendous lag with a wireless keyboard? Having to use an old wired one

Go for the 780. The 770 is basically just a 680. 780 can overclock to near Titan levels.

Didn't know that. Thanks for the info especially since I'll be looking forward to titles such as The Witcher 3 and Dragon Age Inquisition next year.

Definitely not looking at upgrading for a while after dropping so much on a GPU lol.

kharma45

Didn't know that. Thanks for the info especially since I'll be looking forward to titles such as The Witcher 3 and Dragon Age Inquisition next year.

Definitely not looking at upgrading for a while after dropping so much on a GPU lol.

A 780 is just Titan junior.

Some are a few percent behind titan, the EVGA SC and MSI Lightning are actually faster than Titan at stock.

Sanic

I'm playing around with overclocking for pretty much the first time. Right now, i'm just using BIOS functionality to raise the core clock by 300mhz (3.2ghz to 3.5) as I don't have the equipment and circulation to comfortably push higher than that.

Am I good to go? As in, do I need to adjust anything outside of the core clock speed for small increments like this? I'm monitoring temps now.

knitoe

It appears that I'm set with my 7970 but I'm very curious to see benchmarks on the 2GB 600/700 series cards. My guess is they do just fine.

BF3 dynamically loads base on how much VRAM. I would expect the same with BF4. Thus, benchmarks (fps) won't show much difference. We need to go back to the old days of comparing pics to see the difference in draw distance, texture quality and etc.

And people who listen to me about getting 3/4 GB video cards, aren't you glad you did.

Enordash

Hey, PC peeps. So, I'm super lazy and don't want to go through the hassle of assembling something piecemeal. I was wondering if people had any suggestions on pre-assembled solutions through whichever vendor really. I was looking to spend 2k or under for something that would get me decently far into the future. It would obviously need to kick the ass of the upcoming console generation. Any help? Should I just get off my lazy ass?

Crisco

Banned
So I installed my first SSD this weekend along with Windows 8. The SSD is amazing, but W8 is obnoxious as hell. They really just need to bring back a normal start menu and a simple way to disable the start screen and all that extraneous crap.

Hey, PC peeps. So, I'm super lazy and don't want to go through the hassle of assembling something piecemeal. I was wondering if people had any suggestions on pre-assembled solutions through whichever vendor really. I was looking to spend 2k or under for something that would get me decently far into the future. It would obviously need to kick the ass of the upcoming console generation. Any help? Should I just get off my lazy ass?

If you can build a lego set you can build a PC, and save a grand in the process.

Which potentially means a full on MOBO + High End Graphics card 2-3 years in the future to really bump the specs back up if you feel it needs it. You shouldn't have to spend 2K to get PS4/XB1 esque performance.

kharma45

So I installed my first SSD this weekend along with Windows 8. The SSD is amazing, but W8 is obnoxious as hell. They really just need to bring back a normal start menu and a simple way to disable the start screen and all that extraneous crap.

8.1 will bring boot to desktop, or you can install one of the numerous Start replacements.

I found with the new Start once you make it work for you it's great.

Addnan

BF3 dynamically loads base on how much VRAM. I would expect the same with BF4. Thus, benchmarks (fps) won't show much difference. We need to go back to the old days of comparing pics to see the difference in draw distance, texture quality and etc.

And people who listen to me about getting 3/4 GB video cards, aren't you glad you did.

I'm sure the more VRAM will help with the draw distance as it does in bf3, but Dice are pulling numbers out of their arse when they are recommending 660/7870 both of which are 2GB.

Probably more to do with their AMD partnership and them having the more affordable 3GB solution. Crysis 3 only has a recommended of 1GB GTX560.

kharma45

I'm sure the more VRAM will help with the draw distance as it does in bf3, but Dice are pulling numbers out of their arse when they are recommending 660/7870 both of which are 2GB.

Probably more to do with their AMD partnership and them having the more affordable 3GB solution. Crysis 3 only has a recommended of 1GB GTX560.

I would concur with both of these. The 7870 recommendation but also needing 3GB of VRAM for it is odd.

Crisco

Banned
8.1 will bring boot to desktop, or you can install one of the numerous Start replacements.

I found with the new Start once you make it work for you it's great.

Yeah, I'm sure I'll get used to it, it's just kind of jarring at first. On the flip side, installing an OS from a USB stick onto an SSD felt like the goddamn future.

Sanic

I'm playing around with overclocking for pretty much the first time. Right now, i'm just using BIOS functionality to raise the core clock by 300mhz (3.2ghz to 3.5) as I don't have the equipment and circulation to comfortably push higher than that.

Am I good to go? As in, do I need to adjust anything outside of the core clock speed for small increments like this? I'm monitoring temps now.

For the new page.

Sanic

As another has said, we need way more info. Cpu motherboard and what cpu cooler you use.

Sorry, i'm not seeing any response to that post.

X4 840. Motherboard is a 760GM-P23(fx), cooler is the small stock fan that came with the cpu.

I'm looking to see if there are any other settings I should be changing, as opposed to getting help in keeping it stable.

Azulsky

They should release a 6GB version of the 780, except it should only be $50 more like the other cards that have double memory editions!!!

/sarcasm

kennah

Sorry, i'm not seeing any response to that post.

X4 840. Motherboard is a 760GM-P23(fx), cooler is the small stock fan that came with the cpu.

I'm looking to see if there are any other settings I should be changing, as opposed to getting help in keeping it stable.

No one responded because without this info there isn't much we can do to help.

Honestly I wouldn't bother with overclocking that at all. Between the stock cooler and how slow the cpu is to begin with you probably won't get a satisfactory increase in performance against the risk of damage.

Sanic

No one responded because without this info there isn't much we can do to help.

Honestly I wouldn't bother with overclocking that at all. Between the stock cooler and how slow the cpu is to begin with you probably won't get a satisfactory increase in performance against the risk of damage.

I wouldn't know what information to provide, but thanks for your input.

Azulsky

Important to remember for those looking for sweet BF4 action that only Win8 supports the DX 11.2 features.

I believe it is the first game to have 11.2 stuff in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom