• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 2. Haswell = #IntelnoTIM, but free online. READ THE OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
So I've had my new PC for around 2 weeks and the dust build up on the side vent is ridiculous. What's the best way to combat this?

Phantom 820 case btw.

1) I see you have it on the floor. Try raising it off the floor onto a table or desk.
2) run a negative pressure set up. Have more exhaust fans than intakes.

solarus

Well, is there any benefit to going Haswell over Ivy?

For me, I'd be upgrading from a Phenom II X3 720, so should I go with Haswell and something like the 4670k or stick with Ivy and get a 3570k? Both would likely be big performance increases, but doesn't Haswell run hotter than Ivy with about the same performance?
Haswell is better for dolphin, easily, check the wind waker benchmarks, with haswell overclocked it outperforms overclocked ivy bridge even at a lower ghz.

You guys may remember me as the guy that is having issues with my 40 GB SSD (which houses only my W7 OS plus <1 GB of non-OS stuff) becoming nearly 100% filled up. I battled this back recently by deleting an extra user I had on my PC which freed up about 2 GB of space, but that didn't seem to be a permanent fix.

Using WinDirStat, I see my Windows folder is 31.1 GB. My Windows\winsxs is 16.7 GB, Windows\Installer is 4.9 GB, and Windows\System32 is 3.7 GB.

Is it just me, or is that Installer folder being ~5 GB really, really excessive?

VRAM rumors have on tilt about my 680 SLI 2gb setup

I think I'm going to just sell them and upgrade to 4gb versions. Should be very minimal cost to myself.

I'd kind of like a single card at this point though. I'm having to run certain games in vsync but I don't know if it's just the game or because of microstuttering from my SLI setup.

How bad of a problem is tearing for you guys with a single Titan or 780?

knitoe

So I've had my new PC for around 2 weeks and the dust build up on the side vent is ridiculous. What's the best way to combat this?

Phantom 820 case btw.
Buy a magnetized dust filter and attach to side opening. When dirty, just take off, clean and re-attach.

solarus

VRAM rumors have on tilt about my 680 SLI 2gb setup

I think I'm going to just sell them and upgrade to 4gb versions. Should be very minimal cost to myself.

I'd kind of like a single card at this point though. I'm having to run certain games in vsync but I don't know if it's just the game or because of microstuttering from my SLI setup.

How bad of a problem is tearing for you guys with a single Titan or 780?
Jesus don't buy off rumours. Wait for next gen games to hit, try them and if they don't perform as well as you want then buy a new card.

mkenyon

Banned
Just curious (and I suppose this goes for anyone), if money was fuck all and you had access to any consumer level PC hardware what would that look like?

Dreams of a quad sli titan OC. I know I'm gonna get murdered for wireless m/kb, but dealwithit

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-4960X Extreme Edition 3.6GHz 6-Core Processor ($1049.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Eisberg 240L Prestige 60.2 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($159.99 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X79-UP4 ATX LGA2011 Motherboard ($233.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3-2133 Memory ($361.51 @ NCIX US)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3-2133 Memory ($361.51 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Samsung EVO 1TB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($629.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Western Digital WD Black 4TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($264.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX Titan 6GB Video Card (4-Way SLI) ($1019.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX Titan 6GB Video Card (4-Way SLI) ($1019.99 @ Amazon)
Sound Card: Asus Xonar Essence STX 24-bit 192 KHz Sound Card ($169.99 @ Amazon)
Wireless Network Adapter: Asus PCE-AC66 802.11b/g/n/ac PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter ($98.98 @ Outlet PC)
Case: NZXT Phantom (White) ATX Full Tower Case ($99.99 @ Amazon)
Case Fan: Cooler Master R4-L2R-20AC-GP 69.0 CFM 120mm Fan ($2.99 @ Newegg)
Case Fan: Cooler Master R4-L2R-20AC-GP 69.0 CFM 120mm Fan ($2.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA Classified 1500W 80 PLUS Gold Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($429.99 @ NCIX US)
Optical Drive: Asus BW-12B1ST/BLK/G/AS Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer ($58.99 @ NCIX US)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($185.88 @ Outlet PC)
Monitor: Asus PB278Q 27.0" Monitor ($553.99 @ Amazon)
Keyboard: Logitech K800 Wireless Slim Keyboard ($74.99 @ Newegg)
Mouse: Logitech G700 Wireless Laser Mouse ($58.98 @ Amazon)
Speakers: Logitech Z906 500W 5.1ch Speakers ($319.99 @ Amazon)
Headphones: Astro A40 Circumaural Wired Headset + MixAmp Pro - White 7.1 Channel Headset ($249.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $9449.66
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-09-12 02:48 EDT-0400)

So what say you GAF? Build the perfect PC, damn third world families.
Astro A40 with USB DAC on a ASUS Essence card? One of those becomes unusable :p

This should generally suffice as the 'ultimate' build:

Main Components

Proc: 4930K
Mobo: Rampage IV Extreme Black Edition or Gigabyte Assassin 3
RAM: 16-32GB of DDR3 2200-2600MHz
GPU: 2x NVIDIA Titans
Storage: However many 1TB SSDs you want
PSU: Corsair AX860i
Cables: Corsair Single Braided Cables V2
Soundcard: SoundBlaster ZxR, or Magni/Modi stack if you prefer DAC
Keyboard: Ducky Shine 3 (fullsize or TKL)
Mouse: Steelseries Sensei or Mionix Avior
Mousepad: Artisan Shiden XL
Cans: BeyerDynamic DT880s or AKG Q701s
Mic: ModMic
Monitors: 1-3x ASUS VG248QE, 1x Dell U3011

Cooling/Enclosure for non-enthusiast
Case: Fractal Define XL or Arc XL, NZXT H630, Corsair 540
CPU: Corsair H100i or NZXT Kraken
Fans: 5-7x Noiseblocker eLoops

Cooling/Enclosure for enthusiasts
Case: CaseLabs SM8 or SMH10
CPU: EK Supremacy Clean
GPU: 2x EK Titan XL blocks w/ Backplates
Res: Aquacomputer Aqualis w/ D5 adapter
Pump: D5 Vario
Rads: Alphacool XT45, ST60, or XSPC AX. 1x480mm, 1x360mm
Fans: 8 NoiseBlocker eLoops
Misc. Bits, Tubing, Fittings

Shit, what to do. I'm on a i5-750, pretty sure a LGA1156 mobo, with a 560ti. Any advice for upgrading this fall (mainly for BF4)? Wait it out? New graphics card? New mobo and cpu? Whole new computer?

mkenyon

Banned
Shit, what to do. I'm on a i5-750, pretty sure a LGA1156 mobo, with a 560ti. Any advice for upgrading this fall (mainly for BF4)? Wait it out? New graphics card? New mobo and cpu? Whole new computer?
Overclock the crap out of your processor and upgrade the videocard.

mkenyon

Banned
I've been building PCs since the mid-90s, and I've never overclocked. I've always been scared to do it for whatever reasons. I can't articulate why.
Well, it's either that or spend ~$450, which you will then overclock anyway. :p

You're not going to break anything. Lots of fail safes built into the proc and mobo to prevent damage from being done. Do you have an aftermarket CPU cooler?

Seanspeed

Banned

You're not going to break anything. Lots of fail safes built into the proc and mobo to prevent damage from being done. Do you have an aftermarket CPU cooler?
Shortening the life of the CPU/GPU would be a pretty good reason to avoid it though, right? If you were worried about that sort of thing?

As for a money-no-object build, I'd probably have to get something custom built with a really unique casing and some crazy water-cooling setup. Along with a ton of top-line components as well, of course.

kennah

Shortening the life of the CPU/GPU would be a pretty good reason to avoid it though, right? If you were worried about that sort of thing?
They are designed for it these days. As long as you aren't doing anything super crazy the life isn't reduced at all.

Hell Intel has a $30 extended warranty that you could get that will give you one free 'any reason at all' replacement.

mkenyon

Banned

As for a money-no-object build, I'd probably have to get something custom built with a really unique casing and some crazy water-cooling setup. Along with a ton of top-line components as well, of course.
Nope.

With OC'ing a CPU to the levels that are often talked about, you are probably reducing the life from 12+ years to 8-10 years, maybe more.

GPUs are a different story, but those get changed out a lot more frequently. The limited OC'ing potential on the NVIDIA cards makes it a pretty safe thing to do. Pushing AMD cards to their limits might impact life expectancy.

In the case of the i5 750, it's already 4 years old. They seem to overclock in the 3.8 Ghz to 4.0 Ghz range relatively easily and at least worth a try if the other option is to replace it.

Seanspeed

Banned
That's reassuring then. I've been holding out on OC'ing til I really needed it, but I might go ahead then.

I also agree that it would be the ideal way of postponing an upgrade, too. Especially a CPU, which get pretty big returns.

NJStateOfMind

Unconfirmed Member
Hey guys I'm having some problems with my new pc. It started yesterday I just kept getting blue screens. Everything seemed fine before that. I'm thinking it might be the ram. I ran the memory diagnostic test and as soon as it starts it says there's a hardware problem. I also ran the memtest86 program and that was just finding a bunch of errors. I formatted my hard drive and tried to reinstall windows 2 times and it blue screened both times. I was able to finally reinstall windows this morning and eventually it blue screened when I got to the desktop. I'm not sure if it could be the motherboard. I go into the bios and it recognizes that I have ram plugged in. So the only thing I'm thinking is it could be the ram.

This is the ram I bought.G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory (F3-14900CL9D-8GBXL)

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thorgal

Well .if i can choose anything i want .money be damned ill take the ultimate Gaming PC from DF.

naamloosxvkr1.png

Total overkill and yet CRYSIS 3 at 4K still brings it to its knees.

knitoe

Hey guys I'm having some problems with my new pc. It started yesterday I just kept getting blue screens. Everything seemed fine before that. I'm thinking it might be the ram. I ran the memory diagnostic test and as soon as it starts it says there's a hardware problem. I also ran the memtest86 program and that was just finding a bunch of errors. I formatted my hard drive and tried to reinstall windows 2 times and it blue screened both times. I was able to finally reinstall windows this morning and eventually it blue screened when I got to the desktop. I'm not sure if it could be the motherboard. I go into the bios and it recognizes that I have ram plugged in. So the only thing I'm thinking is it could be the ram.

This is the ram I bought.G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory (F3-14900CL9D-8GBXL)

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

If you ran Memtest and got errors, it's most likely you have bad RAM(s). Buy new ones.

Negatory, no aftermarket CPU cooler. At least I don't recall (not at home). Pretty sure just have stock fans.

I haven't seen it, but do we have a good NeoGAF Overclock thread? I might try this and just get a new GPU (I dunno what to get yet, though).

The i5 750 was a really popular CPU so there are a million good guides and probably plenty of people in this thread who have experience overclocking it.

I need some help with cooling. I recently acquired a second gigabyte 7950 card for crossfire and im trying to get the temps lower . Its running at 80 degrees at load.

I have 2 side intake fans, 1 bottom intake , 1 front intake,
2 top exhaust and 1 rear exhaust fan
in a zalman z9 case.

all my fans are 120mm except 1 top 144 mm

Im running the gpu fans at about 70 percent.

Trying to figure out if I should add more fans or what.

kennah

I need some help with cooling. I recently acquired a second gigabyte 7950 card for crossfire and im trying to get the temps lower . Its running at 80 degrees at load.

Which case?

mkenyon

Banned

in a zalman z9 case.

all my fans are 120mm except 1 top 144 mm

Im running the gpu fans at about 70 percent.

80 at load is fine.

If you are trying to get the system to run quieter, that's a different story. What kind of fans you have is more important at that point. I don't mean 120 vs. 140, but specific fan makes. When you start looking at that, it's really a question of "how much do I want to spend to quiet down my system?"

rafbanaan

I'm thinking of buying a new case and power supply.

I currently have a Corsair 700D (I had watercooling for a time), but now it's just too big and not that silent (the main reason). Power supply is a Corsair TX 650v2, but I want a modular (Semi/Full) one.

I was looking at a Corsair HX650W for the power supply (&#8364;107) and the Corsair 550D as the case. Good solution or is there a better one?

I want to go silent as far as i can with still a decent cooling. My CPU cooler is a: Noctua NH-D14

Thanks in advance GAF!

Addnan

I'm thinking of buying a new case and power supply.

I currently have a Corsair 700D (I had watercooling for a time), but now it's just too big and not that silent (the main reason). Power supply is a Corsair TX 650v2, but I want a modular (Semi/Full) one.

I was looking at a Corsair HX650W for the power supply (€107) and the Corsair 550D as the case. Good solution or is there a better one?

I want to go silent as far as i can with still a decent cooling. My CPU cooler is a: Noctua NH-D14

Thanks in advance GAF!

Can you get a Fractal Define R4? It's silent looks nice and pretty much most people here use it, so can recommend without hesitation.

As for PSU, BeQuiet, Seasonic G series or X series, some Silverstone, Corsair AX are great. Not sure about the HX series. I'm sure some else can give their input

Yay, after battling with updating the BIOS half the morning, finally got my HD 7950 installed. A fair step up my from my old 1GB GTX460. Now, hopefully my new 27" QNIX 1440P monitor shows up today.

I just figured out the second gigabyte 7950 i bought is locked at 1.25 v and thats why its at 80 degrees . So I need to either return it for a second card or flash the bios.

looks like its time to find a different card.

rafbanaan

Can you get a Fractal Define R4? It's silent looks nice and pretty much most people here use it, so can recommend without hesitation.

As for PSU, BeQuiet, Seasonic G series or X series, some Silverstone, Corsair AX are great. Not sure about the HX series. I'm sure some else can give their input

I was comparing both cases, but with the Corsair you have a cover (with sound damping stuff) at the unused fan places (top and side). At the Fractal these things seem to be open without cover or anything. Wouldn't this also give a problem with dust? Since I have a positive intake solution.

Pics :

http://www.fractal-design.com/img_prod/FD-CA-DEF-R4-BL_2.jpg

http://www.corsair.com/us/media/cat...27136e95/5/5/550d_hero_down_door_open_2_1.png

mkenyon

Banned
I was comparing both cases, but with the Corsair you have a cover (with sound damping stuff) at the unused fan places (top and side). At the Fractal these things seem to be open without cover or anything. Wouldn't this also a problem with dust? Since I have a positive intake solution.
The covers are on the interior.

Positive pressure pushes the air from inside the case out through any available hole though.

mkenyon

Banned
AMD Kaveri Desktop launching in 2013

http://wccftech.com/amd-kaveri-apu-...i-graphics-demonstrated-virtual-reality-tech/

AMD recently had a press conference where they detailed their next generation Steamroller, Jaguar + and ARM based embedded devices. Aside from the embedded products, AMD did a small Q/A session with tech journalists where Computerbase got to ask some questions regarding any possible delays for the Kaveri APU platform. AMD replied that Kaveri APU is headed to desktop PCs in 2013 while notebooks based on the Kaveri APU would launch around spring 2014.

So this much is settled that PC enthusiasts would finally get to meet the Kaveri APU in this year bringing the new x86 Steamroller cores, GCN (Volcanic Islands) integrated graphics processors and full support of HSA features.

Zaph

Is that the APU that Digital Foundry/anonymous developer article was claiming PC gamers should invest in? Apparently because it'll be more in line with PS4/Xbox One architecture?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom