• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 2. Haswell = #IntelnoTIM, but free online. READ THE OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JustinBB7

Best would be newest AC router, like Asus AC66U, but few devices has AC capabilities. They are backward compatible and can run N. For N, look at 450mbps ones. I hear good things about the Asus N66U.

As to why you old setup only allows X to have Internet access, you ISP only provides X IP address. If they provide 1 IP, only one device can connect, 2 IP = 2 devices and so on. If you want more devices to work, you need to use a router, not a switch, since they can take 1 IP and provide a hundred virtual internal IPs.

Most of recent routers are good at handling gaming data and/or have included settings for popular services, Xbox Live, Steam and etc. this, it shouldn't be an issue.

AC capabillities? And what do you mean with run N?

Thanks for the advice btw. That Asus AC66U is a bit too expensive for me atm. But I'll think about it. My ISP is supposed to give me a wireless modem, but they promised that years ago and still haven't for some reason.

Also if I get a new router do I connect my modem to my router or just just replace my modem with the new router?

Tonezorz

Not sure what CPU you have but I'd try using iGPU

His integrated is working fine, he's having trouble getting his discrete to fire.

It's the most "non-issue" issue I've had with a computer I think. It only happens on a rare occasion, when either restarting or exiting the bios.

I haven't had any failures of any kind while testing, gaming, anything else.

I may purchase a new power supply the next time a great deal pops up, just to see if that fixes it, but other then that I think I'll be living with it until something gets worse. Assuming it doesn't, I don't see it happening during normal use.

mkenyon

Banned
I'm just gonna leave this here:

LL

longdi

Banned
AC capabillities? And what do you mean with run N?

Thanks for the advice btw. That Asus AC66U is a bit too expensive for me atm. But I'll think about it. My ISP is supposed to give me a wireless modem, but they promised that years ago and still haven't for some reason.

Also if I get a new router do I connect my modem to my router or just just replace my modem with the new router?

Dont get teh AC66U, it is phasing out in a month or two with the new AC68U. The new unit has faster processor soc. Right now you can buy a Dlink 868L which is using the same processor soc as the upcoming AC68U.

868L is only 150 at amazon and ranked as the fastest AC router atm.

kidko

Minor issue maybe you guys have experience with:

My new MSI Z87-G45 board usb ports will not power my apple keyboard and a logitech mouse daisy-chained together. If I try to run it this way, the mouse does a weak little blink-blink with it's laser and neither are recognized by Windows 8 (hmm, could be a win 8 thing)

I used them this way just fine with my old gigabyte board/win7 setup. Any ideas?

JustinBB7

Dont get teh AC66U, it is phasing out in a month or two with the new AC68U. The new unit has faster processor soc. Right now you can buy a Dlink 868L which is using the same processor soc as the upcoming AC68U.

868L is only 150 at amazon and ranked as the fastest AC router atm.

That Dlink 968L looks very nice. Don't have amazon in Holland, cheapest I found is 140 euros. Which is 186 dollars..

mkenyon

Banned
Are folks still buying new 2011 boards when Haswell-E is only a year away?

I like the full black color scheme.

Speaking of ROG their PCIE SSD (RAIDR) came out. MSRP is $350 for 250GB.
IVB-E just came out. Still the only way to get 6 cores. BCLK OC'ing is also a big plus, as is 40 PCI-E lanes, compared to Ivy/Haswell 16.

Not to mention, the 4820K is actually less expensive than the 4770K.

mkenyon

Banned
Minor issue maybe you guys have experience with:

My new MSI Z87-G45 board usb ports will not power my apple keyboard and a logitech mouse daisy-chained together. If I try to run it this way, the mouse does a weak little blink-blink with it's laser and neither are recognized by Windows 8 (hmm, could be a win 8 thing)

I used them this way just fine with my old gigabyte board/win7 setup. Any ideas?
Try a USB 3.0 port.

*edit*

Sorry for double post.

mkenyon

Banned
Balanced out then by the cost of the X79 mobo.
Not quite :p

But, without the need for BCLK OC'ing to get the 4C/8T 2011 chip up to speed anymore, motherboard choices are opened up dramatically.

A good number of the X79 boards could not OC the 3820 properly, which in a way, increased the price of entry.

i installed a new mobo since my old one fried. Now i cant use my ethernet port and when i checked the hardware info it shows that i need to install drivers but for some reason my disk drive wont read the disk. on the asus site they have online drivers but it scans the computer than is being used so i dont know how to get them. I'm using a P8B75-M.

Addnan

i installed a new mobo since my old one fried. Now i cant use my ethernet port and when i checked the hardware info it shows that i need to install drivers but for some reason my disk drive wont read the disk. on the asus site they have online drivers but it scans the computer than is being used so i dont know how to get them. I'm using a P8B75-M.

http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/P8B75M/#support_Download_30

From there, lets me download

kharma45

Not quite :p

But, without the need for BCLK OC'ing to get the 4C/8T 2011 chip up to speed anymore, motherboard choices are opened up dramatically.

A good number of the X79 boards could not OC the 3820 properly, which in a way, increased the price of entry.

A point I forgot about.

Just looking at UK prices (US is probably a different story) but for a 4770K and a G45 you're talking £386 compared to £402 for a 4820K plus Gigabyte X79-UD3 board (the cheapest one we have bar a Biostar one but it's only saving £1).

mkenyon

Banned
That UD3 is actually a brilliant board. There were some world records set on it.

*edit*

Be still, my aching heart.

Gigabyte-G1.Assassin-3-X79-Motherboard-635x846.jpg

Anyone want to buy a Z77-UP7? :p

kharma45

That UD3 is actually a brilliant board. There were some world records set on it.

Wow, I didn't expect it to be so good for the cheapest board available here.

Part of me feels I could still make a good argument for the 3770K against the 4820K, it'd undercut it even further than Haswell. It and the ASUS LK is £40 ($63 for you guys) cheaper than the IB-E combo. Fairly decent saving that.

mkenyon

Banned
Yeah, Ivy is still a no-brainer in terms of value. But, I could probably count on one hand the number of people that have heeded that advice and skipped on Haswell in this thread. Seems like it is time to just accept that.

Yeah, Ivy is still a no-brainer in terms of value. But, I could probably count on one hand the number of people that have heeded that advice and skipped on Haswell in this thread. Seems like it is time to just accept that.

This is something I'm very interested in. I know Haswell run hot and OC potential is limited. So you'd recommend a i5 3570K over a i5 4670K at around the same price?

kharma45

This is something I'm very interested in. I know Haswell run hot and OC potential is limited. So you'd recommend a i5 3570K over a i5 4670K at around the same price?

Unless you want to emulate PS2 and Wii games a lot go Ivy. Cheaper and since it OCs higher it negates the Haswell IPC boost. Plus all the boards are a known quantity at this stage.

I'll keep fighting the good fight.

mkenyon

Banned
They're not around the same price though. You end up paying ~$25 on a motherboard and $20+ on a processor for the same or less performance.

There's not a single meaningful update on Haswell or Z87 compared to Ivy/Z77. Even power consumption at load is higher with Haswell.

Ok, I'll keep that in mind. More than ever, I want to make sure the build I make for buddy is the most bang for his buck and will last as long as possible with a graphics card upgrade at most.

mkenyon

Banned
Yep, even on that front, Ivy/Z77 has PCI-E 3.0, so good to go.

Even though the processor upgrade from Sandy->Ivy wasn't meaningful, having native USB 3.0, native SATA 6GB, and PCI-E 3.0 made some sense.

The only reason to go with Haswell, even from an insane enthusiast standpoint, is to get a very specific motherboard that you can't otherwise. Something like the Z87 Stinger, or Gigabyte Sniper.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
How do you clear the CMOS? I plan on overclocking next week. This information will be helpful.

You'll have to hunt for it in your motherboard manual.

On ASUS Z78, I believe it is a blue jumper with 3 pins. So two possible settings:
1. Normal
2. Clear CMOS

Basically if you want to clear CMOS you move the jumper to #2 for 10 seconds or something. Then when you boot BIOS will be at defaults, which can get you out of a ditch where an OC setting is so bad and/or the BIOS is so bad that it cannot even post.

I have had to clear CMOS once. Ironically it was on one of the premium motherboards (Sabertooth). I have had bad OCs that cause the system to reboot automatically into previous settings into BIOS every other time. Even on the cheaper stuff like ASRock Extreme4.

Well, is there any benefit to going Haswell over Ivy?

For me, I'd be upgrading from a Phenom II X3 720, so should I go with Haswell and something like the 4670k or stick with Ivy and get a 3570k? Both would likely be big performance increases, but doesn't Haswell run hotter than Ivy with about the same performance?

mkenyon

Banned
Well, is there any benefit to going Haswell over Ivy?

For me, I'd be upgrading from a Phenom II X3 720, so should I go with Haswell and something like the 4670k or stick with Ivy and get a 3570k? Both would likely be big performance increases, but doesn't Haswell run hotter than Ivy with about the same performance?
Go back a page and check out the bottom. I personally wouldn't recommend Haswell.

Jzero

How low do pc part prices get for black friday on Amazon? I think i want to wait until then if it's worth it.

Azulsky

Yep, even on that front, Ivy/Z77 has PCI-E 3.0, so good to go.

Even though the processor upgrade from Sandy->Ivy wasn't meaningful, having native USB 3.0, native SATA 6GB, and PCI-E 3.0 made some sense.

The only reason to go with Haswell, even from an insane enthusiast standpoint, is to get a very specific motherboard that you can't otherwise. Something like the Z87 Stinger, or Gigabyte Sniper.

Some people like Black motherboards,
some people like Gold motherboards

Bundy

Banned
Alright, guys ;)

Updated:
CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K
GPU: MSI N770 Twinfrozr 2GD5/OC, 2GB GDDR5
Mainboard: MSI Z87-G45 Gaming
CPU-Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Advanced C1 (heard it's extremely quiet)
Storage: Samsung SSD 840 120GB SATA 6Gb/s
Storage 2: Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 2TB, SATA 6Gb/s
Power-Supply: 600 Watt be quiet! Straight Power E9
Memory: G.Skill DIMM 8 GB DDR3-1600 Kit
Drive: LiteOn iHAS124-04
Tower: FRACTAL DESIGN Define R4 Titanium Grey

Thank you, PC GAF! :)
Especially kharma45 and Addnan!

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Spreadsheet is mostly updated, just clearing up some stuff. Update soon!
How low do pc part prices get for black friday on Amazon? I think i want to wait until then if it's worth it.
BF is usually clearance on items that aren't selling so hot.

So instead of savings, you just get more for your dollar.

Any rumors on the Radeon 9x series cards? Big improvements over 7x? I've always been an nvidia guy, but those 7 series prices are enticing me right now. I just got a killer deal on a i7 3770 system from Dell and it comes with a Geforce 640. Anyone know if that has dual dvi?

kennah

Any rumors on the Radeon 9x series cards? Big improvements over 7x? I've always been an nvidia guy, but those 7 series prices are enticing me right now. I just got a killer deal on a i7 3770 system from Dell and it comes with a Geforce 640. Anyone know if that has dual dvi?

No real rumours yet. Wait a month.

Each manufacturer is different, so it might be dual dvi, or it might not.

And your killer deal probably could have been beat if you built it yourself :p

No real rumours yet. Wait a month.

Each manufacturer is different, so it might be dual dvi, or it might not.

And your killer deal probably could have been beat if you built it yourself :p

Nope, i7 3770, 12gb ddr3 1600 ram, 2tb hd, geforce 640 for $495+tax;) Will be interesting to see what AMD comes out with. Kind of conflicted whether I jump on a 7950 or 7970 now or wait. Or of course go Nvidia. 7 series seem to have a premium price on them though and I don't want a 2gb card since I'll game at 2560x1440p

Ysiadmihi

Banned
Hey guys, I'm trying to decide between a 4670k and an FX 8350. I don't want to spend too much more than $200 for a CPU so the 8350 is perfect, but would I be missing out on much by being a cheapskate?

Spreadsheet is mostly updated, just clearing up some stuff. Update soon!

BF is usually clearance on items that aren't selling so hot.

So instead of savings, you just get more for your dollar.

Just curious (and I suppose this goes for anyone), if money was fuck all and you had access to any consumer level PC hardware what would that look like?

Dreams of a quad sli titan OC. I know I'm gonna get murdered for wireless m/kb, but dealwithit

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-4960X Extreme Edition 3.6GHz 6-Core Processor ($1049.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Eisberg 240L Prestige 60.2 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($159.99 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X79-UP4 ATX LGA2011 Motherboard ($233.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3-2133 Memory ($361.51 @ NCIX US)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3-2133 Memory ($361.51 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Samsung EVO 1TB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($629.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Western Digital WD Black 4TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($264.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX Titan 6GB Video Card (4-Way SLI) ($1019.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX Titan 6GB Video Card (4-Way SLI) ($1019.99 @ Amazon)
Sound Card: Asus Xonar Essence STX 24-bit 192 KHz Sound Card ($169.99 @ Amazon)
Wireless Network Adapter: Asus PCE-AC66 802.11b/g/n/ac PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter ($98.98 @ Outlet PC)
Case: NZXT Phantom (White) ATX Full Tower Case ($99.99 @ Amazon)
Case Fan: Cooler Master R4-L2R-20AC-GP 69.0 CFM 120mm Fan ($2.99 @ Newegg)
Case Fan: Cooler Master R4-L2R-20AC-GP 69.0 CFM 120mm Fan ($2.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA Classified 1500W 80 PLUS Gold Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($429.99 @ NCIX US)
Optical Drive: Asus BW-12B1ST/BLK/G/AS Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer ($58.99 @ NCIX US)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($185.88 @ Outlet PC)
Monitor: Asus PB278Q 27.0" Monitor ($553.99 @ Amazon)
Keyboard: Logitech K800 Wireless Slim Keyboard ($74.99 @ Newegg)
Mouse: Logitech G700 Wireless Laser Mouse ($58.98 @ Amazon)
Speakers: Logitech Z906 500W 5.1ch Speakers ($319.99 @ Amazon)
Headphones: Astro A40 Circumaural Wired Headset + MixAmp Pro - White 7.1 Channel Headset ($249.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $9449.66
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-09-12 02:48 EDT-0400)

So what say you GAF? Build the perfect PC, damn third world families.

Anton668

yeah, I did one of those "dream" builds...

was told diminishing returns on 3 titans wasnt worth it. 4, you wouldnt even notice you had 4 in it...

So I decided that I should buy a new tv instead of a monitor. The reasoning was that I still had a CRT (that was surprisingly HD capable) in the living room, and my gpu has hdmi. I didnt think though, can hdmi do 60 hertz? What about 120 hertz? I know a lot of you probably look at this question and just think its asinine. But I honestly dont know, and help would be appreciated!

Addnan

So I decided that I should buy a new tv instead of a monitor. The reasoning was that I still had a CRT (that was surprisingly HD capable) in the living room, and my gpu has hdmi. I didnt think though, can hdmi do 60 hertz? What about 120 hertz? I know a lot of you probably look at this question and just think its asinine. But I honestly dont know, and help would be appreciated!

Yes it does 60hz not 120hz, but you wouldn't need 120hz for a TV.

kharma45

Hey guys, I'm trying to decide between a 4670k and an FX 8350. I don't want to spend too much more than $200 for a CPU so the 8350 is perfect, but would I be missing out on much by being a cheapskate?

If you've a Microcenter nearby you can get a 3570K for $190 and would be my choice. If not they're $220.

sytadel

So I've had my new PC for around 2 weeks and the dust build up on the side vent is ridiculous. What's the best way to combat this?

DSC_1086_zpsaff3aa38.jpg

Phantom 820 case btw.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom