• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 2. Haswell = #IntelnoTIM, but free online. READ THE OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

blanky

I'm trying to put a build together for my sister's new pc and I've basically followed the Great-Best Value build. Only I got the non-unlocked CPU, a Corsair CX500 power source. A 500 GB HDD and the 128 840 Pro SSD. The only thing I'm not confident about yet is the GFX card while also keeping the budget to a minimum. The GTX 660 is 200 and the recent 760 about 250. Would those 50 euros be worth it? Also could I run the system on VP 450 then without having to worry about power issues? If you've got any other tips that'd be awesome :)

mkenyon

Banned
So it's basically quietness over performance?
Watercooling?

No, it's both. You just need to delid or buy the enthusiast socket, which is 2011. The enthusiast socket (denoted by -E, like Sandy Bridge-E) is for enthusiasts.

Haswell, Ivy, and Sandy are the consumer sockets (1155/1150).

yatesl

It is stupid, most likely because it's firing too much voltage through and Haswell is hot enough as it is. The drop in clock speed is likely due to thermal throttling. Don't use that utility, manually do it and you'll get a better result with regards to heat and voltage. Might not go as high but it'll be more realistic. With Haswell you're looking really to get to 4.2GHz before the heat gets too much on the CPU. Running a program like IBT or Prime you want to be below 80 degrees.

Using EasyTune I've picked a "Medium" option, that was at 4.2 (as opposed to an Extreme option at 4.4). CPU-Z is telling me it's at 0.79 ~ 0.86 core voltage. Is that safe? Speccy tells me it's at 30c idle (but then, Speccy was also telling me that when it was fluctuating between 4.2 and 4.6GHz). Now it's going between 4199 and 4200.

Every thing I've read about manually overclocking starts to go over my head.

kharma45

I'm trying to put a build together for my sister's new pc and I've basically followed the Great-Best Value build. Only I got the non-unlocked CPU, a Corsair CX500 power source. A 500 GB HDD and the 128 840 Pro SSD. The only thing I'm not confident about yet is the GFX card while also keeping the budget to a minimum. The GTX 660 is 200 and the recent 760 about 250. Would those 50 euros be worth it? Also could I run the system on VP 450 then without having to worry about power issues? If you've got any other tips that'd be awesome :)

From the US? What's the overall budget? What is she using it for?

Using EasyTune I've picked a "Medium" option, that was at 4.2 (as opposed to an Extreme option at 4.4). CPU-Z is telling me it's at 0.79 ~ 0.86 core voltage. Is that safe? Speccy tells me it's at 30c idle (but then, Speccy was also telling me that when it was fluctuating between 4.2 and 4.6GHz). Now it's going between 4199 and 4200.

Every thing I've read about manually overclocking starts to go over my head.

It's fine for idle, put it under load and see what the figure is then. Have a read of this guide for doing it yourself, it's fairly comprehensive and should be pretty eduactional

http://www.overclockers.com/3step-guide-to-overclock-intel-haswell

yatesl

Running Prime95 now at 4.2, and temp hit 85c at one point, but seems to be hovering around 75c. That seems crazy, but is it safe/normal?

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
I would imagine some of the extra heat of Haswell over IB/SB is partly due to moving the VRM onto to the die, and partly because of the process shrink leading to higher density of transistors occupying roughly the same amount of surface area.

kharma45

No europe. Maximum is 1100 euros. With the GTX 660 and the rest it's 1043. so there is space for the 760 I suppose. Would it all run on 450 watts of power though?

VP 450 would run it a 660 fine and is a better choice than a CX Corsair. For a 760 I would try a 500w+ unit. Be Quiet! do good stuff at reasonable money. I would ditch the 840 Pro too. Whilst it is a fantastic drive it's too expensive, better off with a 250GB 840 or something like a Kingston V300 for a 120GB model.

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
No europe. Maximum is 1100 euros. With the GTX 660 and the rest it's 1043. so there is space for the 760 I suppose. Would it all run on 450 watts of power though?

To check what PSU you will need use the eXtreme Power Supply Calculator

Take the number it gives you and add 10% to 15% to allow headroom for efficiency and any future drives / devices you might add.

yatesl

That's probably the best you'll do by the sounds of it.

Fair enough. The average has gone from 75c to 79-80c, but, it's not spiking or anything now - Nudging up to 81 or 82 sometimes, after half an hour of testing.

To this overclocking noob, going from 3.4GHz to 4.2GHz is a massive leap anyway.

Osiris

Fair enough. The average has gone from 75c to 79-80c, but, it's not spiking or anything now - Nudging up to 81 or 82 sometimes, after half an hour of testing.

To this overclocking noob, going from 3.4GHz to 4.2GHz is a massive leap anyway.

What is your Vcore showing at under load?

Flubit is a service where you input the URL of the item you wish to buy, and they negotiate a better price from the supplier. That KFA2 760 I saw them offer it to someone on HUKD for £184.

http://www.flubit.com/

So create an account, stick the URL in and see what offer they come back with. KFA2 have a good RMA service too as I said so don't worry on that front

iKOTQ2f.png

It is stupid, most likely because it's firing too much voltage through and Haswell is hot enough as it is. The drop in clock speed is likely due to thermal throttling. Don't use that utility, manually do it and you'll get a better result with regards to heat and voltage. Might not go as high but it'll be more realistic. With Haswell you're looking really to get to 4.2GHz before the heat gets too much on the CPU. Running a program like IBT or Prime you want to be below 80 degrees.

Brilliant thanks for the info.

My PC is getting old but I don't have the budget to replace it yet.

Should I spend my money upgrading the RAM to 8 Gb or buy a 128 Gb SSD?

kharma45

What is your voltage under load?

Brilliant thanks for the info.

no bother.

My PC is getting old but I don't have the budget to replace it yet.

Should I spend my money upgrading the RAM to 8 Gb or buy a 128 Gb SSD?

unless you're running out of ram go SSD.

Mad Max

Watercooling?

No, it's both. You just need to delid or buy the enthusiast socket, which is 2011. The enthusiast socket (denoted by -E, like Sandy Bridge-E) is for enthusiasts.

Haswell, Ivy, and Sandy are the consumer sockets (1155/1150).

I've been following threads about delidding for a bit recently and it seems that delidding doesn't completely solve the temp problem either. The average temp decrease seems to lie somewhere between 10°C and 20°C under full load for most people, which is a significant improvement but still leaves you with high temps compared to older processors with a similar TDP.

To me the high temperatures seem more related to the architectural changes intel made (stacked design) with haswell than to using TIM + glue instead of solder. So if that's true this temp problem could also affect the upcoming Ivy-E and Haswell-E processors.

kami_sama

I want to build a pc for a friend, but he's on a tight budget, so I'm using the standard build, but for whatever reason I can't find some of the components, the case for example.
Can you give me some alternatives for the case, the power supply and the motherboard?
The page where I want to buy everything is http://www.pccomponentes.com

Osiris

Just quit Prime. Give me 5 mins and I'll let you know - Right now after just starting it (and it's at 76c) the CPU is 1.404 V, according to EasyTune

Goes between 1.392 V and 1.404

Holy crap that's high Vcore for air... (Assuming you went for the Hyper 212 like your build post said you were) - With Haswell you don't want to go over 1.3v Vcore, even those using single state phase change cooling are not going as high as I.4v

Stop!

Read this again:

* A very good air cooler is required for voltage levels above 1.15V.
* 1.20V-1.23V requires use of closed loop water coolers.
* At 1.24V-1.275V dual or triple radiator water cooling solutions are advised.

Go back to stock and start again! - you're gonna end up killing your chip.

blanky

VP 450 would run it a 660 fine and is a better choice than a CX Corsair. For a 760 I would try a 500w+ unit. Be Quiet! do good stuff at reasonable money. I would ditch the 840 Pro too. Whilst it is a fantastic drive it's too expensive, better off with a 250GB 840 or something like a Kingston V300 for a 120GB model.

So take the Be Quiet 530 Watt for instance?

scogoth

I've been following threads about delidding for a bit recently and it seems that delidding doesn't completely solve the temp problem either. The average temp decrease seems to lie somewhere between 10°C and 20°C under full load for most people, which is a significant improvement but still leaves you with high temps compared to older processors with a similar TDP.

To me the high temperatures seem more related to the architectural changes intel made (stacked design) with haswell than to using TIM + glue instead of solder. So if that's true this temp problem could also affect the upcoming Ivy-E and Haswell-E processors.

This really an irrelevant argument because you are getting much higher performance for the same Or less TDP and temperatures well within operating limits. Also I don't think they are any hotter than previous generations at the same TDP at all after delidding. I have a 3770k running at 5GHz that is 55C under load compared to my old i7-930 at 4.2GHz at 85C under load both using the same custom water loop.

Osiris

yatesl is busy dealing with the local fire department isn't he? :p

mkenyon

Banned
Ordered the Q701's and a ModMic, as a dog (not mine) killed my PC-350s. Will post impressions this weekend.
This really an irrelevant argument because you are getting much higher performance for the same Or less TDP and temperatures well within operating limits. Also I don't think they are any hotter than previous generations at the same TDP at all after delidding. I have a 3770k running at 5GHz that is 55C under load compared to my old i7-930 at 4.2GHz at 85C under load both using the same custom water loop.
I wish I could find it now, but I remember seeing power consumption skyrocket on Haswell when OC'd.

We're not talking AMD levels here, but still much much higher than any previous chip.

Addnan

I want to build a pc for a friend, but he's on a tight budget, so I'm using the standard build, but for whatever reason I can't find some of the components, the case for example.
Can you give me some alternatives for the case, the power supply and the motherboard?
The page where I want to buy everything is http://www.pccomponentes.com
Whats the budget? What is it being used for?

Osiris

I warned him not to use the auto OC function lol.

I wouldn't use those things on known good chips, let alone a knife-edge lottery like early Haswells haha, especially as there are still a lot of extra settings not yet understood being left on Auto in the UEFI.

Maybe this guide can be added to the OP for future reference:

3 step guide to overclocking Haswell

Might stop some tears before they happen :D

mkenyon

Banned
I wouldn't use those things on known good chips, let alone a knife-edge lottery like early Haswells haha, especially as there are still a lot of extra settings not yet understood being left on Auto in the UEFI.

Maybe this guide can be added to the OP for future reference:

3 step guide to overclocking Haswell

Might stop some tears before they happen :D
I have an easier one.

Step 1) Buy Ivy instead.

Crisis averted.

*edit*

On a more serious note, PM that to Hazaro to have him add it.

yatesl

Heh sorry, I was playing Sniper V2 (whilst overclocked, oopps!)

As soon as I saw the post I quickly jumped back in and switched it to "Default", so CPU-Z flucuates between 3591 and 3791, and the voltage goes between 0.768 and 0.840.

I'm not sure how to reset it all back to stock (all my actual BIOS is on auto, but was still clocked at 4.2 etc.), but if those are safe voltages then I'll leave it now...

Osiris

I have an easier one.

Step 1) Buy Ivy instead.

Crisis averted.

*edit*

On a more serious note, PM that to Hazaro to have him add it.

:D

I'm gonna play the Haswell Lottery, I've decided, hell I was only shooting for 4.3 anyway :p

(Will do!)

So given the state that next gen titles seem to be using more cores do you guys believe that upgrading to one of the 8xxx fx series processors would be a good idea? mind you I'm coming from a phenom x4 955 at 3.9ghz

kharma45

So given the state that next gen titles seem to be using more cores do you guys believe that upgrading to one of the 8xxx fx series processors would be a good idea? mind you I'm coming from a phenom x4 955 at 3.9ghz

Your Phenom isn't bad when OC'd, if you were looking to upgrade on AM3+ I'd wait to see what Steamroller has to offer unless you found a smashing deal on the 8350. In saying that the 8350 is still a very viable upgrade don't get me wrong about that.

A bit off topic, but any tips on keeping the computer room cool during hot weather? Got a 650w computer and 3 monitors.

Central A/C is already shit in this room and the room temperature is way higher than the average so the a/c doesn't even kick in most of the time.

Anybody have any experiences with window/portable a/cs or any alternatives?

yatesl

Uninstalled EasyTune. Tried "Load Default" on my BIOS, but it didn't seem to change anything. It's still on 3.5 or 3.7, with voltage of 0.76 ~ 8.4. Also, for some reason, I can't seem to change the resolution on the BIOS any more (I used to be able to have it at 1080p and have it in a Windows-style mode).

Hope that's not due to damage... Sometimes the Core Voltage spikes to 1.2 then back down

PCgaf, I need some quick advice:

Right now I'm rocking a radeon 6950 with 1GB vram. NCIX has the 7870 tahiti (which is a slightly crippled 7950 for anyone unfamiliar) for $210 right now, and I've got a coupon to take it down to $200. Also comes with Tomb Raider, Crysis 3, Bioshock Infinite, and FC3 Blood Dragon

So after I sell the 6950, and possibly some of the free games, I'd be out like $50 - $70 for a somewhat minor upgrade, both in terms of processing power and VRAM (1GB -> 2GB).

You guys think this is worth the money/hassle of selling my old card? Or should I hold out for something better with more VRAM (I know we're in the midst of an upgrade cycle with the 7xx and new AMD on the way shortly).

Will 2GB be sufficient for the next 18-24 months if I don't plan on going above 1080p?

Osiris

A bit off topic, but any tips on keeping the computer room cool during hot weather? Got a 650w computer and 3 monitors.

Central A/C is already shit in this room and the room temperature is way higher than the average so the a/c doesn't even kick in most of the time.

Yes, we use a portable AC unit at the office, not cheap though, neither to buy or to run.

You're gonna be looking at needing a unit about 1.5 to 2kW or above to keep a large room at 25 degrees C in 35+ degrees C ambient.

Ours is a 2.6kW unit and cost about £400, but the costs to run it are nuts.

scogoth

Leave the door open and maybe a room fan to help circulate air is the cheapest way

mkenyon

Banned

Move to Canada.
Leave the door open and maybe a room fan to help circulate air is the cheapest way
Proof!

yatesl

Uninstalled EasyTune. Tried "Load Default" on my BIOS, but it didn't seem to change anything. It's still on 3.5 or 3.7, with voltage of 0.76 ~ 8.4. Also, for some reason, I can't seem to change the resolution on the BIOS any more (I used to be able to have it at 1080p and have it in a Windows-style mode).

Hope that's not due to damage... Sometimes the Core Voltage spikes to 1.2 then back down

Last note to this - Even though it's running at 3591MHz @ 1.128 V with Prime95 running, it's only on 50c. I think I'll be fine from now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom