• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 2. Haswell = #IntelnoTIM, but free online. READ THE OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Part of the reason I haven't been posting as much. As you can tell the first mount is... not optimal. It's off by about 15mm.
Temps are down about 15C (Now OCCT/P95 sFFT loads at 73C vs 89C) on Silent/Custom (Quiet) compared to the TPC 812 / TRUE120. I'll need to readjust the fans and screws since if I go over 58% fan speed they pulse and it's scary. My 2600K is still stupidly hot though.

Adding 760 build sheet to OP.

6xc26x4.jpg

x999dmf.jpg

gEkRRHz.jpg

iwTvaFN.jpg

vHm0Wp4.jpg

IXZ5W7n.jpg

Rf1WkAZ.jpg

2OyloUZ.jpg

10zdR2s.jpg

wtq2SSP.jpg

kharma45

Gotcha.

How would you rate the Gigabyte Z87-HD3?

Cheers :)

About to order :D

It's meh, the MSI Z87 G45 is better for not much more. Despite good improvements in emulation speed do think carefully before upgrading, the 2500K is still very, very good when overclocked.

djshauny

Banned
It's meh, the MSI Z87 G45 is better for not much more. Despite good improvements in emulation speed do think carefully before upgrading, the 2500K is still very, very good when overclocked.

Ok mate thank you for the advice.

How much better is the 4570k when overclocked?

Cheers.

kharma45

Ok mate thank you for the advice.

How much better is the 4570k when overclocked?

Cheers.

Depends entirely on the silicon lottery, with Haswell you're realistically aiming for 4.2GHz, IB was around 4.4-4.5GHz and SB you could sometimes get up to 4.8GHz if you were lucky. For emulation you're talking maybe a 30% increase for the 4670K over your 2500K going by this http://www.overclock.net/t/1402557/...y-fast-at-emulation-20-over-ivy-30-over-sandy

It's the only area where Haswell truly beats your CPU. Have you overclocked your 2500K?

HelloMeow

I'm going to build a new PC next month. I've been looking into all the new parts and info. I haven't really followed the progression of PC hardware since 2008, when I got my now-5-year-old laptop.

Anyhow, this is what I have come up with so far:

CPU: Intel i5 3570K
Motherboard: MSI Z77A-G43
GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 770 2GB
HDD: Western Digital Blue WD5000AAKX, 500GB
Case: Corsair Carbide 300R
RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport
PSU: Corsair CX600M

This would amount to about €860. I'm planning on getting an SSD in a couple of months.

I do have some concerns. The GPU is a bit expensive compared to a 760, while it performs about 10-15% better. I'm having a hard time deciding between a 770 and a 760.

What practical benefit would a 770 have over a 760, other than 5-10 more fps? I'd like my new PC to be future-proof and I won't be upgrading any components for the first 3-4 years(except for the SSD).

kharma45

I'm going to build a new PC next month. I've been looking into all the new parts and info. I haven't really followed the progression of PC hardware since 2008, when I got my now-5-year-old laptop.

Anyhow, this is what I have come up with so far:

CPU: Intel i5 3570K
Motherboard: MSI Z77A-G43
GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 770 2GB
HDD: Western Digital Blue WD5000AAKX, 500GB
Case: Corsair Carbide 300R
RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport
PSU: Corsair CX600M

This would amount to about €860. I'm planning on getting an SSD in a couple of months.

I do have some concerns. The GPU is a bit expensive compared to a 760, while it performs about 10-15% better. I'm having a hard time deciding between a 770 and a 760.

What practical benefit would a 770 have over a 760, other than 5-10 more fps? I'd like my new PC to be future-proof and I won't be upgrading any components for the first 3-4 years(except for the SSD).

Drop the case to a 200R or Shinobi, and change the mobo to a Z77 GD55. That PSU is also pretty mediocre too, I would change it to an XFX, Seasonic or a Be Quiet! unit.

Hello,

I'm looking to build a gaming rig between the "standard" and "good" lists defined in the OP. Per the requirements of the OP here is what I'm upgrading from:

Your Current Specs: Intel Q6600 / 4GB DDR2 / Asus P5Q(something) / Nvidia GTS250 / Corsair 500W power supply / Antec something / 670-ish GB HDD
Budget: $450-650. USA.
Main Use: Rate 1-5. Moderate gaming, significant photoshop, and video editting, rendering, and encoding of movies.
Monitor Resolution: 1080p
List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: Must be able to play Witcher 2 at 60fps at 1080p with 16xAF and 2xMSAA.
Looking to reuse any parts?: Antec case, corsair 500W power supply, DVD drive
When will you build?: Do you have a deadline? Late 2013 or early 2014.
Will you be overclocking?: Yes, No, Maybe (This means yes!) No.

I'm thinking of going AMD when it comes to CPU this time. Trying to allocate as much money as I can towards a beefy GPU. But which AMD line is better overall... the A-series APUs or the FX series processors? And will going with AMD negate any performance gains in games from a beefier GPU?

kharma45

Thanks, but may I ask why? I like the looks of the 300R and the g43 seems to have everything I need.

I'll look into that.

300R isn't much better than the 200R and doesn't warrant the extra outlay. That MSI motherboard is meh, the GD55 should give better overclocks.

Hello,

I'm looking to build a gaming rig between the "standard" and "good" lists defined in the OP. Per the requirements of the OP here is what I'm upgrading from:

Your Current Specs: Intel Q6600 / 4GB DDR2 / Asus P5Q(something) / Nvidia GTS250 / Corsair 500W power supply / Antec something / 670-ish GB HDD
Budget: $450-650. USA.
Main Use: Rate 1-5. Moderate gaming, significant photoshop, and video editting, rendering, and encoding of movies.
Monitor Resolution: 1080p
List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: Must be able to play Witcher 2 at 60fps at 1080p with 16xAF and 2xMSAA.
Looking to reuse any parts?: Antec case, corsair 500W power supply, DVD drive
When will you build?: Do you have a deadline? Late 2013 or early 2014.
Will you be overclocking?: Yes, No, Maybe (This means yes!) No.

I'm thinking of going AMD when it comes to CPU this time. Trying to allocate as much money as I can towards a beefy GPU. But which AMD line is better overall... the A-series APUs or the FX series processors? And will going with AMD negate any performance gains in games from a beefier GPU?

AMD wise the FX is a better choice for gaming over something like the Athlon X4 750K (the A8 APU sans the GPU). Something like the FX 6300 is a fairly decent chip, I'd take it over the i3 at this stage and it overclocks well.

Toski

Just tested my 4770k at 1.15v at 4.2 GHz, and it still hit 83° C (not an average) doing 800000 tests in Prime95. I could probably go for 4.3, but I'll stop here for now and actually play some games lol.

xJavonta

Banned
I'm convinced that I need an i7 now lol. My i3 is kind of pissing me off, applications take longer than I would like to start up and when multitasking stuff starts to chug :(

xJavonta

Banned
What are your other specs?
Low end. I'm pushing this

Core i3-2100
4GB memory
ATi Radeon HD 5670 1GB (old, I know lol)
1TB Data HDD
128GB OS HDD

It plays games well at my monitor's native resoultion of 1366x768, but I'm getting 25-30 FPS in Dark Souls which sucks, and as I said mutitasking can kill speed.

I know I need more ram and a new gpu, but I'm tempted to buy a new CPU first

SSD + fast RAM.
How much faster? I have 1333 ram or something like that. Not well versed in memory lol

xJavonta

Banned
You have an HDD as your main OS drive? Or a 128GB SSD?

128GB HDD, I know everyone says SSDs give a major speed bump, but will it be better than a new CPU?

Another reason I didn't get one is because I've heard varying things. Like Samsung is generally good but there are certain kinds of Samsung drives you should avoid?

I bought a bunch of stuff around Christmas during sales. A case, a motherboard, a HDD, and a PSU. Then I realized I was spending more cash than I was planning, so I put my build on hold until I had some more disposable income. Well, after seeing the recent 7970 deal, I bit in and bought it without really thinking about it. Sort of kicking this project back off.

So now I'm here with this new GPU, and I still need a CPU. I was planning on getting an i7 or something with comparable power (Not planning to overclock; I'm still trying to learn how to build one). My current PC has a stock dual-core and things can get a little sluggish, not just for games, but also daily use. I really wanted a big leap in processing power.

I have both a ASRock Z77 Pro 4 motherboard from a Christmas sale, which I believe should still do fine with a previous gen i7, as from what I can tell, the Haswell chips aren't worth getting another board for?

Also, since I wasn't really expecting to go this far out with the PC, at the time I just got a 500W PSU. I'm beginning to doubt that will be sufficient. That really sucks, because it's well past the return window. I was wondering if I should just try it.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I bought a bunch of stuff around Christmas during sales. A case, a motherboard, a HDD, and a PSU. Then I realized I was spending more cash than I was planning, so I put my build on hold until I had some more disposable income. Well, after seeing the recent 7970 deal, I bit in and bought it without really thinking about it. Sort of kicking this project back off.

So now I'm here with this new GPU, and I still need a CPU. I was planning on getting an i7 or something with comparable power (Not planning to overclock; I'm still trying to learn how to build one). My current PC has a stock dual-core and things can get a little sluggish, not just for games, but also daily use. I really wanted a big leap in processing power.

I have both a ASRock Z77 Pro 4 motherboard from a Christmas sale, which I believe should still do fine with a previous gen i7, as from what I can tell, the Haswell chips aren't worth getting another board for?

Also, since I wasn't really expecting to go this far out with the PC, at the time I just got a 500W PSU. I'm beginning to doubt that will be sufficient. That really sucks, because it's well past the return window. I was wondering if I should just try it.
You are on a budget, but keep buying premium parts?

SSD is the anti-slow. CPU upgrade will affect workload performance, not how snappy your system is. And from the sounds of it, unless you know you need an i7, an i5 is the way to go. Buy a used 2500K/3570K if you want to save.

A 500W PSU could power a 7970 (depending on a lot of factors), but you bought a $400 GPU, not a $250 one so you should upgrade your PSU.

HelloMeow

300R isn't much better than the 200R and doesn't warrant the extra outlay. That MSI motherboard is meh, the GD55 should give better overclocks.

I'm only going to to a little bit of overclocking, so that doesn't really bother me.
My main concern has to do with the GPU. I want a GPU that'll last me 3-4 years. I don't know if I can justify buying a card that's €100 more expensive, but is "just" 15% better.

As for the PSU, I previously had the XFX pro 550W in mind, but it's recommended to have a 600W PSU for the GTX 770. Would the XFX pro 550W be sufficient?

You are on a budget, but keep buying premium parts?

It wasn't a necessary budget. I just don't like to spend large amounts of money. But I've been slipping more and more into a "treat yourself" kind of attitude. I figure if I'm getting a PC to last for years, it might as well be a good one.

Hazaro said:
SSD is the anti-slow. CPU upgrade will affect workload performance, not how snappy your system is. And from the sounds of it, unless you know you need an i7, an i5 is the way to go. Buy a used 2500K/3570K if you want to save.

A 500W PSU could power a 7970 (depending on a lot of factors), but you bought a $400 GPU, not a $250 one so you should upgrade your PSU.

Assuming that I do get an SSD, combining that with a HDD, the 7970, and everything. Should I be good with a 750W PSU, or should I go higher to be safe?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
What's the results on the spacing between the Haswell and the cooler? Is it spaced out like the prior generation?
Same as 1156 and 1155.
uh oh
It wasn't a necessary budget. I just don't like to spend large amounts of money. But I've been slipping more and more into a "treat yourself" kind of attitude. I figure if I'm getting a PC to last for years, it might as well be a good one.

Assuming that I do get an SSD, combining that with a HDD, the 7970, and everything. Should I be good with a 750W PSU, or should I go higher to be safe?
A 750W will be more than fine. If you are looking to do dual GPUs in the future a good 850W unit is advised.
Currently CrossFire (2x AMD GPU) is still busted on many games though.

sorry if I sound completely ignorant but do graphics cards have a break in period? i've had this 7970 sapphire and its firmware has been updated since day 1 and while most games ran good, some games would still chug running on ultra. now after over a hundreds windows updates (literally) the games are running super smooth on ultra at 1080 resolution. I haven't over clocked or touch any of the card settings, can someone explain to me what's going on?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
sorry if I sound completely ignorant but do graphics cards have a break in period? i've had this 7970 sapphire and its firmware has been updated since day 1 and while most games ran good, some games would still chug running on ultra. now after over a hundreds windows updates (literally) the games are running super smooth on ultra at 1080 resolution. I haven't over clocked or touch any of the card settings, can someone explain to me what's going on?
No break-in, but driver updates smooth things out and bring performance boosts.

The past year of driver updates has done a lot for AMD.

ah okay, also, i remember someone mentioning overclocking the gpu and processor, however he didn't quite go into detail. can someone help me on how to overclock a sapphire 7970 and an i7 3770k?

Mew2

Neo Member
Just throwing this out there but

Does anyone think a Asus G73 JH can play Battlefield 4? I'm looking to play Starcraft 2 when I get back and Diablo which it played fine but after seeing these new trailers....does anyone think I'll be able to hang in there while I build a new PC?

Thanks guys

**Btw motherxwolf your avatar is godly <3 :]

Toski

ah okay, also, i remember someone mentioning overclocking the gpu and processor, however he didn't quite go into detail. can someone help me on how to overclock a sapphire 7970 and an i7 3770k?

Overclocking a 7970 is easy. Just open up Catalyst Control Center, click the performance tab, and move sliders.

Also, it seems if you crossfire a 7970 GHz edition, and a regular OCd 7970, it will match the faster card.

Your Current Specs: Running on a laptop atm, but I'm looking to upgrade to a custom built desktop for the first time. Current relevant specs are 8GB RAM, i5-2410 2.30GHz, and Radeon 6490M, but being a laptop it's not terribly useful here.
Budget: I'm looking for something in the $1000-$1200 range.
Main Use: Gaming - 5, Emulation - 4, General Usage/Video playback - 3, everything else is moot. Also, as much future proofing as is reasonably possible.
Monitor Resolution: 1080p. I'll be mainly using the HD TV I've already got, as this thing will double as an HTPC
List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: at the very least 30FPS on max settings for anything on the market currently, short of maybe Crysis 3. As I said, I want something that'll be future proof, that'll be able to at least minimally run the latest games 4-5 years from now. 3D is not a priority however. I'd also like something that'll be able to pull it's weight in emulation, 60FPS in dolphin/PCSX2, so CPU clocks are also a must. Finally, being also an HTPC, being as wireless as possible is a huge plus, so that includes long range mouse/keyboard/wifi, as well as having a good sound card/surround sound option later on.
Looking to reuse any parts?: as I've said above, I've got a TV already that I'll be using this thing on, but other than that I'm starting from scratch, essentially. Wondering if I can just reuse the windows 7 install disk that came with the laptop though?
When will you build?: This is me planning way ahead for my Christmas/birthday present to myself, but I'm willing to wait maybe another few months past december if there are any major chip/card releases that may be worth my while.
Will you be overclocking?: if it doesn't cost significantly more, sure.

All that being said, here's what I've come up with so far.

[old build]PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks[/old build]

Taking into account suggestions from the thread and the 760 release, I've revised my prior build to the following:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($239.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.98 @ Outlet PC)
Thermal Compound: Arctic Cooling MX-2 4g Thermal Paste ($4.98 @ Outlet PC)
Motherboard: MSI Z87-G45 Gaming ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($149.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($65.70 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 840 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($93.99 @ Adorama)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($64.98 @ Outlet PC)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 760 2GB Video Card ($259.99 @ Amazon)
Sound Card: Asus Xonar DSX 24-bit 192 KHz Sound Card ($49.49 @ NCIX US)
Wireless Network Adapter: Rosewill RNX-N150HG 802.11b/g/n USB 2.0 Wi-Fi Adapter ($15.26 @ Amazon)
Case: BitFenix Shinobi ATX Mid Tower Case ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Case Fan: Antec 75024 79.0 CFM 120mm Fan ($8.99 @ Mac Mall)
Power Supply: Antec Basiq Plus 550W 80 PLUS Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($64.99 @ Amazon)
Keyboard: Logitech K750 Wireless Slim Keyboard ($49.99 @ Dell Small Business)
Mouse: Logitech G700 Wireless Laser Mouse ($65.76 @ Amazon)
Total: $1154.07
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-06-28 02:10 EDT-0400)

EDIT: woops, forgot to change back the case, another $26 off

Haswell looks to be performing beautifully for emulation, big plus for me, so I figure the extra $50 is worth it. I took out the price of the OS as I found a PC buddy o mine who's willing to lend me a copy of W7. Biggest question mark for me atm is the SSD and whether it's worth the money. Also, anyone know of any good long range wireless mice/keyboards at a lower price? At least I'm within the upper bounds of my budget, and looking for deals over the next 4-5 months should shave another $100-$150 off of that I'd hope.

Addnan

SSD is the best single upgrade a person can do to their PC, so yeah it is worth it. Once you realise just how snappy and responsive a PC can be you can't use a HDD as a primary drive again.

SSD is the best single upgrade a person can do to their PC, so yeah it is worth it. Once you realise just how snappy and responsive a PC can be you can't use a HDD as a primary drive again.

Well I guess whatever savings I get from deals are gonna go towards upgrading to a 240GB, as 120 just won't cut it much longer.

SpyGuy239

Hey guys, looking to get a new PSU. My old 550W one is clearly not enough to power my 560Tis in SLI. I'm finally getting restarts when I overstress it :p

I see seasonic is highly recommened. Is that the entire line?

Also how good is Corsair?

Buying from the UK. Thanks!

SpyGuy239

This. Upgraded both my Laptop & Desktop with the Samsung 840 pro. Never going back to living without an SSD.

Addnan

Hey guys, looking to get a new PSU. My old 550W one is clearly not enough to power my 560Tis in SLI. I'm finally getting restarts when I overstress it :p

I see seasonic is highly recommened. Is that the entire line?

Also how good is Corsair?

Buying from the UK. Thanks!
Pretty much all Seasonic PSU are good, their x-series is their top end stuff, but g-series is also top quality . The TX and AX Corsair are good too.

SpyGuy239

Pretty much all Seasonic PSU are good, their x-series is their top end stuff, but g-series is also top quality . The TX and AX Corsair are good too.

Thanks.

For Corsair, how good is the gaming series? seems like a tacked on name to me to sell more. Am I better off with their TX series?

I'm leaning toward Corsair over seasonic at the moment, cause it seems to be cheaper and more available here in the UK!

Addnan

Thanks.

For Corsair, how good is the gaming series? seems like a tacked on name to me to sell more. Am I better off with their TX series?

I'm leaning toward Corsair over seasonic at the moment, cause it seems to be cheaper and more available here in the UK!
I think GS is quite mid range.

I am pretty sure the TX 650/750 V2 are both Seasonic units, so you would be good with either.

Seasonic branded units are not hard to find either, but they might be a little bit more pricey. http://www.scan.co.uk/products/650w...80-plus-gold-87-eff-eps-12v-sli-crossfire-atx

I'm not exactly sure what the power requirements of SLI 560Ti are, but I would think a good 650W should be enough.

edit: Just make sure they have enough PCI-E connectors. From what I can see the Corsair only has 2 PCI-E connctors, think 560Ti needs 2 for each card.

tauke

It seems like my local retailer ran out of stock for the Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO and instead they have the Hyper 212X.

I couldn't find any review for it though and have no idea on its performance.

So it is a go or no for the Hyper 212X? Pricing wise it is around USD $40 after converting from my local currency.

Addnan

SpyGuy239

I think GS is quite mid range.

I am pretty sure the TX 650/750 V2 are both Seasonic units, so you would be good with either.

Seasonic branded units are not hard to find either, but they might be a little bit more pricey. http://www.scan.co.uk/products/650w...80-plus-gold-87-eff-eps-12v-sli-crossfire-atx

I'm not exactly sure what the power requirements of SLI 560Ti are, but I would think a good 650W should be enough.

edit: Just make sure they have enough PCI-E connectors. From what I can see the Corsair only has 2 PCI-E connctors, think 560Ti needs 2 for each card.

Thanks Addnan. very helpful. Just needed some reassurance, since I don't buy PSUs every so often. My old one was plenty reliable.

I'll go with the Corsair TX850. Seems like real quality stuff. Has 4x PCI-E as well.

Cheers dude.

ElfArmy177

Well, noone wanted to buy the 3570k (wanted an i7 for once) and 670 GTX. So Im gonna keep my Haswell i7 w/ 670 GTX, and build a second computer for my office with the 3570k and a 550 ti (the 670 will replace this when I buy a 780 soon). Trying to figure out a good case to use for my new build!

Ive got my eye on the Corsair 600t, but I cant help but get that "gamer case" itch! Im not sure if I want something that my wife will roll her eyes with, or just get something that looks "nice"! Im talking case window, flashing lights... I want this thing to look like a Daft Punk concert is going on inside.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom