• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 2. Haswell = #IntelnoTIM, but free online. READ THE OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Your Phenom isn't bad when OC'd, if you were looking to upgrade on AM3+ I'd wait to see what Steamroller has to offer unless you found a smashing deal on the 8350. In saying that the 8350 is still a very viable upgrade don't get me wrong about that.

Yea I know future proofing might be pointless but I'm hoping the use of more cores will become the standard from now on. I would rather upgrade my gtx 660 for a stronger end gpu but I'm pretty sure I would start seeing some bottlenecking with this processor.

both the 8350($179) and 8320($149) are fairly cheap right now but for my price range I'm probably looking to spend around $270 since I would have to a get a new mobo as well.

comu

Neo Member
PC that I built 2 months ago but forgot to post pictures here :)

i3 3225
hd 7870
8 gb samsung ram
840 pro 250gb
WD RE4 1tb HDD (in raid1 with an older HDD)
windows 8
fractal design define r4

FR2Mrhj.jpg

RPBfRfQ.jpg

OobMxtq.jpg

You can barely see the RAM :)

Very happy with it apart from this little problem that I only get on Firefox and mainly when on twitter, but not all the time:

96170712.png

It doesnt affect anything else (as far as I'm aware), although id like to fix it.
Any suggestions?

Thanks

Mad Max

This really an irrelevant argument because you are getting much higher performance for the same Or less TDP and temperatures well within operating limits. Also I don't think they are any hotter than previous generations at the same TDP at all after delidding. I have a 3770k running at 5GHz that is 55C under load compared to my old i7-930 at 4.2GHz at 85C under load both using the same custom water loop.

Of course, i'm not trying to argue against delidding, it's just an observation based on results from people delidding haswell chips. Comparing IB vs haswell there is a big difference between their respective temps even after a delid (based on my casual observation), which doesn't seem in proportion to the TDP difference of ~10W.

kharma45

Yea I know future proofing might be pointless but I'm hoping the use of more cores will become the standard from now on. I would rather upgrade my gtx 660 for a stronger end gpu but I'm pretty sure I would start seeing some bottlenecking with this processor.

both the 8350($179) and 8320($149) are fairly cheap right now but for my price range I'm probably looking to spend around $270 since I would have to a get a new mobo as well.

If you're after a new motherboard too I'd say wait, hopefully the new Steamroller ones will all have PCIe 3. Even good boards like the 990FXA-UD3 are still PCIe 2.

Toski

Running Prime95 now at 4.2, and temp hit 85c at one point, but seems to be hovering around 75c. That seems crazy, but is it safe/normal?

Looks like 4.2 is the max for me as well. I just did Prime95 for 6 hours and temps hit in the mid 80s at "stock" voltage which never seemed to go above 1.196 according cpu-z.

mkenyon

Banned
Pretty good Daily Deal going on Newegg for a 7970 right now.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...202008&cm_sp=DailyDeal-_-14-202-008-_-Product

The GHz Edition and 6GB version are also down.
If you are in the market for a new GPU, and want to spend around $300, buy this now.
Looks like 4.2 is the max for me as well. I just did Prime95 for 6 hours and temps hit in the mid 80s at "stock" voltage which never seemed to go above 1.196 according cpu-z.
Try reducing voltage.

Pro

If you are in the market for a new GPU, and want to spend around $300, buy this now.

$309.00 after the rebate so yeah. I actually got mine as soon as I saw it since I've been watching the 7970's for a while now and they've always been $400 previously. Max 4K resolution and the 3GB of memory will go a long way when downsampling at that resolution. Plus there is always room for one more to crossfire at some point down the road. Got a buyer lined up for my old GPU too.

Addnan

500 euros. Mostly for gaming, he wants to enter pc gaming.

Was a little hard navigating the website even with translator. They called a power supply food source, spent ages looking for it lol.

Anyway, best I could come up with.

Motherboard http://www.pccomponentes.com/asus_p8b75_v.html
CPU http://www.pccomponentes.com/intel_core_i3_3220_3_3_ghz_box.html
RAM http://www.pccomponentes.com/g_skill_ripjaws_x_ddr3_1333_pc3_10666_4gb_2x2gb_cl9.html
HDD http://www.pccomponentes.com/wd_caviar_blue_500gb_sata3.html
Case http://www.pccomponentes.com/corsair_300r_carbide_compact_gaming_case_negra.html
Graphics card http://www.pccomponentes.com/gigabyte_radeon_hd_7750_oc_2gb_gddr3.html
PSU http://www.pccomponentes.com/corsair_cx500_v2_500w_builder_series_80_plus_bronze.html

That brings the total to just under €500. You will need to get OS if you don't already have it and that could break the budget a little. You could probably go for a cheaper case.

diamount

Banned
Watercooling?

No, it's both. You just need to delid or buy the enthusiast socket, which is 2011. The enthusiast socket (denoted by -E, like Sandy Bridge-E) is for enthusiasts.

Haswell, Ivy, and Sandy are the consumer sockets (1155/1150).

Oh.. I thought you meant it wasn't possible in general, not just specific to Haswell. I'll probably get a 3930k.

kharma45

Not really, once you have a start menu replacement it's actually quite good. But I agree it is kinda stupid you have to install something to make the desktop usable again

New Start is great in my books.

Taking a while to figure out where things are now found but it does seem to be nice and swift.

Win key + x is your friend. If you want the Start menu back use something like Classic Shell. New Start is good though once it's used properly.

kharma45

I just hate they disabled Aero glass on windows 8. That's all I really miss. Such a small thing, but it was damn sexy.

I thought I would but I've forgotten all about it. Quite like the flat look of 8 now.

Oh god! Thats delicious!

It's a great thing for power users, as are all the other win + shortcuts. These are but a few.

http://blog.laptopmag.com/15-essential-windows-8-keyboard-shortcuts

8.1 brings that functionality too by right clicking on the Start button.

Mr. Hyde

I'm not sure if it was the beta bios update or just the oc settings i messed with, but I am running my i5-4670k at 4.1ghz and testing with prime 95 and it's only pushing my temps to 63c after 20 minutes while before it was pushing it to 80 easily by now. I did go through all the core voltage options and set the offset to - instead of plus and only put it at 0.5. My msi z87-mpower has far too many OC options. Prime isn't trying to push my core voltage past 1.15, it seems. That's good.

kharma45

Yep, when 8.1 lands it's gonna be awesomeeeeee. I already love using 8 and it's nice to see this being a bit more than just a service pack to the OS.

So the 770 from asus MSI and gigabyte with 4 gig ram are just not coming or what?
Because from the launch up until now its all been lesser brands with the 4 gig versions :(

Anyone know more info about this?

kharma45

So the 770 from asus MSI and gigabyte with 4 gig ram are just not coming or what?
Because from the launch up until now its all been lesser brands with the 4 gig versions :(

Anyone know more info about this?

Gigabyte and EVGA have theirs out in the US, shouldn't be too long before they come across the Atlantic.

Mr. Hyde

cKVAUOC.png

Does anyone have a clue what all of these are? I assumed VCORE is my core voltage but I have that set to 1.15. The vins show the 1.15, though.

4.1 @ 1.15 crashed after 30 minutes. :( I am trying 4ghz now.

News Bot

Banned
Got my new system all set up. Pleasantly surprised by the sheer jump in performance.

For reference, I went from:

CPU: Intel Q6600 Quad Core
GPU: NVIDIA 9600GT (1GB)
RAM: DDR2 800Mhz

To:

CPU: Intel i5 3570K Quad Core
GPU: HIS AMD 7970
RAM: DDR3 1600Mhz

Can play most games on Ultra with V-Sync enabled and max AA at an almost constant 60fps. That's with no overclocking yet. Thanks to everyone for all the help, especially kharma45!

kharma45

Gigabyte has 4GB version in Europe too. I am still unsure if GK104 can make a good use of that extra memory.

I have those thoughts too but time will tell.

Got my new system all set up. Pleasantly surprised by the sheer jump in performance.

For reference, I went from:

CPU: Intel Q6600 Quad Core
GPU: NVIDIA 9600GT (1GB)
RAM: DDR2 800Mhz

To:

CPU: Intel i5 3570K Quad Core
GPU: HIS AMD 7970
RAM: DDR3 1600Mhz

Can play most games on Ultra with V-Sync enabled and max AA at an almost constant 60fps. That's with no overclocking yet. Thanks to everyone for all the help, especially kharma45!

No problem, glad you're pleased! Always very happy to help out a fellow Northern Irish person :p

If I update my Motherboard's BIOS, can I just copy down my overclock settings beforehand and set them immediately afterwards without issues? Most of the time?

I've never updated my BIOS for my motherboard, because I really didn't want to go through all the stress testing again.

djshauny

Banned
Hi chaps. What are the i5 4430 Haswell CPUs like?

Running an i5 2500k at the moment. Would the 4430 be an upgrade or an downgrade?

If its a downgrade would the i5 4570 be better?

Cheers :)

kharma45

Hi chaps. What are the i5 4430 Haswell CPUs like?

Running an i5 2500k at the moment. Would the 4430 be an upgrade or an downgrade?

If its a downgrade would the i5 4570 be better?

Cheers :)

Downgrade imo, just overclock your 2500K. Even the 4670K isn't really worth it unless you're big into emulation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom