• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 2. Haswell = #IntelnoTIM, but free online. READ THE OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kennah

Yep i searched a lot for a 3gig.

I am finding 42amp at 12v hard to find as most power supply units are 32-38amps even at 800w.

Do i have to be spot on with this or is the watts more important? i have a convert cable that goes from six pin to eight pin so no problem with that one.

Those six pin to 8 pin don't always work, especially if the powersupply isn't pushing enough power.

yatesl

Is there an easy way of overclocking a 4670k with an evo 2012 cooler? I'm scared of messing in BIOS and destroying something, and then it not being able to boot...

Addnan

Is there an easy way of overclocking a 4670k with an evo 2012 cooler? I'm scared of messing in BIOS and destroying something, and then it not being able to boot...

OP has links. Overclocking in the BIOS is the easy/safe way. Any other way is a lie and you should ignore them.

Ty4on

You adjust voltage for stability and multiplier for clock speed. If the CPU overheats it will shut down automatically, if the voltage is too low it will just crash Windows. If you mess something up you can reset the bios settings without even booting the computer.

Google overclocking instructions for your motherboard and it will tell you what settings to modify and what they do. Then it's a matter of testing how stable the computer. Prime 95 is a common one, but for me KSP quickly told me 4.4 was unstable as it kept crashing :p

ultimatt

Neo Member
Try some newer games that are optimized for 8 cores.

0nIkCAb.jpg

battlefield4-beta-7.jpg
Yeah, FPS as a way to accurately measure performance is dead. Here's Crysis 3 for you though. (Thanks GAF for showing me the light on this)

c3-99th.gif

c3-50ms.gif

c3-17ms.gif

The middle graph there shows the amount of time the game dips below 20 FPS. The bottom graph shows the amount of time the game dips below 60 FPS. This kind of data is what is hidden when you rely on FPS.

You can read more here..

You should also know, that despite being called an "8 core" chip, the FX-8350 is basically a quad core that happens to have each core split in half. In reality, it works like hyperthreading.

IPC is king with gaming, not threads.

yatesl

You adjust voltage for stability and multiplier for clock speed. If the CPU overheats it will shut down automatically, if the voltage is too low it will just crash Windows. If you mess something up you can reset the bios settings without even booting the computer.

Google overclocking instructions for your motherboard and it will tell you what settings to modify and what they do. Then it's a matter of testing how stable the computer. Prime 95 is a common one, but for me KSP quickly told me 4.4 was unstable as it kept crashing :p

Yeah, I'm worried about having to mess about on the motherboard proper to reset it!

I've set my voltage to 1.2, and my CPU to 4.2, as that seems to be a common one. I remember 1.3v being too high for air cooling? I'll run Prime95 for a bit and see what happens.

Addnan

Yeah, I'm worried about having to mess about on the motherboard proper to reset it!

I've set my voltage to 1.2, and my CPU to 4.2, as that seems to be a common one. I remember 1.3v being too high for air cooling? I'll run Prime95 for a bit and see what happens.

1.3 is only too high if your temps get to high, otherwise 1.3 is within safe limits. Only issue is as you up voltage temps also rise. Just keep your eye on that.

yatesl

Half way through replying and i got bsod, at only 60c... I've upped the voltage to 1.25 instead.

I remember I tried the gigabyte program to do it months ago and that set it to 1.3v and 4.5ghz, and everyone here freaked out and told me to get a fire extinguisher, so I stopped... Watchdogs specs is making me try again though

Edit: although CPU-z I'd reporting 1.272v for some reason

So I decided to finally OC my i7 920 and last night I was able to get it to from stock to 3.2ghz.

I ran prime95 for about 8 hours and the high temp was 74 degrees. Is that okay? I would like to OC it some more but my RAM is only at 1066. I do have sticks in there that are 1333 and I'm hoping to get new ones to add to that if it'll help me OC better.

I have the cooler master 212 plus. Not sure if it's EVO or not, but is that suitable for OC?

That cooler is fine for OCing but I think your temps are a little high for that clock speed. Where is your voltage set?
I hit those temps with Prime95 with my i7 930 at 3.9Ghz and my voltage is set at 1.215v (I think that's a little lower than most are able to go voltage-wise though).

Erebus

Disable the C states aswell is generally a good idea, eventually switch from fixed vcore to offests aswell
I'm currently stress-testing with Prime95 running at 4100MHz with 1.16Vcore. I can't go higher than that before I install a decent cooler.

What are C-States for? Does disabling them stop the CPU from stepping down the frequency when the system is idle? For example, CPU-Z usually reports 1600MHz when I'm sitting idle on the desktop but 4100MHz right now that Prime95 is running.

TXurdh6.png

Addnan

I'm currently stress-testing with Prime95 running at 4100MHz with 1.6Vcore. I can't go higher than that before I install a decent cooler.

What are C-States for? Does disabling them stop the CPU from stepping down the frequency when the system is idle? For example, CPU-Z usually reports 1600MHz when I'm sitting idle on the desktop but 4100MHz right now that Prime95 is running.

1.16 or 1.6? 1.6 is wayy too high.

zon

I could use some advice, I'm looking for a new graphics card to replace my 6950. Any ideas on what would be a good card to get?

zon

Budget? Games? Timeline? Current Powersupply? Current CPU?

Budget is anything below $500 or so. I'd like to reach 60fps at 1080p in new games. What do you mean by timeline? When I need it? I'm not in a rush if that's what you are asking. Current powersupply is a 850 or 800w by corsair, silver certification on it iirc. Current cpu will be upgraded too, will probably get a i5 or i7.

kennah

Budget is anything below $500 or so. I'd like to reach 60fps at 1080p in new games. What do you mean by timeline? When I need it? I'm not in a rush if that's what you are asking. Current powersupply is a 850 or 800w by corsair, silver certification on it iirc. Current cpu will be upgraded too, will probably get a i5 or i7.

Depending on the pricing when it finally comes out - an AMD 290. The non-X version might be under $500.

zon

Depending on the pricing when it finally comes out - an AMD 290. The non-X version might be under $500.

Are there any cards by Nvidia that are similar to the 290 in that price range? One old game that I want to be able to play doesn't work on my 6950 with up-to-date drivers.

kennah

Are there any cards by Nvidia that are similar to the 290 in that price range? One old game that I want to be able to play doesn't work on my 6950 with up-to-date drivers.

Nope. You have the 770 (which is a rebadged 680, so no point in buying) for $400 and the 780 (a baby Titan so totally worth buying) for $650. There is no in between.

I still don't know if a GTX760 4GB card or R9 280X will be better for me. From what I've read the 760 cannot use the 4GB effectively due to a lower memory bus (I think).

Well in any case my build should be done in the next two weeks, so I'll post pics of my very first build to GAF :)

yatesl

AIDA64 has been running for 2 hours now, but my temps haven't gone over 60c. Surely they should be going higher if the CPU is at 100% all this time? Or does it mean I'm safe to increase from 4.2 to 4.3?

Edit: Oh, I cancelled it, and decided to test FPU instead of CPU, and temps shot to 73c. I think we're in business now

tarheel91

I hate people who just go with the latest trend without any real knowledge of the subject. A statistics class should be mandatory in high school.

FPS is still a very valuable tool. It provides an average frame rate, the same thing as 1/frame latency (the thing every benchmark place includes now). The thing is, it's not the ONLY thing you need to consider. What you also want to look at is a histogram of the frame latency distribution. A 99th or 95th percentile frame latency only shows you a slice of this, and is just as incomplete a picture as FPS. Ultimately, FPS is a mean. A mean is a single value designed around condensing the data gained from a population into a single number. It's not about giving the whole story, it's about providing something quick to provide a general idea of what's going on. To get a really complete picture of the situation, you'll also want to look at how those frame latencies are distributed throughout time, so you can if your latencies at the edges of the distribution are due to one area or it's a persistent problem.

TL;DR: FPS is a valuable tool for providing a concise summary of a lot of data. It doesn't provide the whole story and that's OK.

Any thoughts on the BenQ XL2420TE? I need a new monitor, and I've decided I'm not yet interested in 1440p or 27".

Friend got it and sent it back. Picture looked washed out no mater what we did to it. Only way we could make it look good was putting it on the movie or picture settings, then messing with the other settings, but both of those completely fucked the black levels.

friday

With the impending release of the new amd gpus I dont know if I should wait to see how the $300 one performs or go ahead with my build and get either a 7950 or 7970.

With the impending release of the new amd gpus I dont know if I should wait to see how the $300 one performs or go ahead with my build and get either a 7950 or 7970.

The 280X looks to be a 7970 GHz Edition rebranded and is priced at $300. The 7970 GE is currently being sold for around $350 so I think it's likely that the 7970 will drop in price. I think the 7950 doesn't have a lot of room to drop and it should out perform the 270X which is being sold for about the same price.

kennah

Protip - the $300 one is a rebadged 7970. The only 'new' cards are the 260, 290 and 290X (they are the only ones with the new sound chip)

That cooler is fine for OCing but I think your temps are a little high for that clock speed. Where is your voltage set?
I hit those temps with Prime95 with my i7 930 at 3.9Ghz and my voltage is set at 1.215v (I think that's a little lower than most are able to go voltage-wise though).

I didn't mess with the voltage. I think it's still on auto.

Shambles

I hate people who just go with the latest trend without any real knowledge of the subject. A statistics class should be mandatory in high school.

FPS is still a very valuable tool. It provides an average frame rate, the same thing as 1/frame latency (the thing every benchmark place includes now). The thing is, it's not the ONLY thing you need to consider. What you also want to look at is a histogram of the frame latency distribution. A 99th or 95th percentile frame latency only shows you a slice of this, and is just as incomplete a picture as FPS. Ultimately, FPS is a mean. A mean is a single value designed around condensing the data gained from a population into a single number. It's not about giving the whole story, it's about providing something quick to provide a general idea of what's going on. To get a really complete picture of the situation, you'll also want to look at how those frame latencies are distributed throughout time, so you can if your latencies at the edges of the distribution are due to one area or it's a persistent problem.

TL;DR: FPS is a valuable tool for providing a concise summary of a lot of data. It doesn't provide the whole story and that's OK.

Frame smoothness is just as, if not more important that frame rate. FPS is an out of date tool that is useless in an era of when each second of data will contain 60 (or even 120 for some people) data points. If we were talking about economics you might have a point but we're talking about visual effects, or more specifically how our eyes and brains interpret light. This is nowhere close to the same as taking population, income, or medical stats.

Pjsprojects

Anyone heard of Aerocool PSU? I just paid fifty quid for a 650w 42amp single 12v rail that has both six pin and the eight pin pcie connectors that I need.

Could not find other brands with eight pin config.

That's for you to find out. Every CPU is different. Overclocking takes time because you got to test out if the voltage is stable. So you run Prime 95 or Intel Burn Test or Aida64 to test out the stability of the overclock.

Thanks for the tips guys. You were all a great help. Here's what I ended up ordering:

7PW0iqf.png

Just doing a follow-up post. Mostly everything works great; I can run most of my games (Dota 2, TF2, CS:GO, Smite) on max graphics with great FPS. The only real bummer so far is my Asus monitor which already has a permanently red pixel. -_-

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
I'm pretty bummed. A couple of weeks ago my P8Z77-LX had an overloaded USB port. I had to send it in for RMA. In the meanwhile I bought a shitty little ASRock mATX board to get me through.

The P8 came back to me a few days ago so I put everything back together and couldn't get to post and none of the USB ports were powered. Tried to switch back to the ASRock so I could send the P8 back again and now I can't get to post with it either.

I've tried 1 memory stick, onboard video only, no sound card, clearing cmos, I'm kinda stuck now and have no idea what I should do. I would rather not go out and buy another board.

Anyone have any tips. This is only the 3rd or 4th system I've built so maybe I'm missing something simple. This whole experience this week makes me want to say fuck it and just get a ultrabook and spend my gaming time with Vita + PS4.

So I've got a problem with my PC that I've had for about a year now.

Today we had a few power outages in my area and since getting power back my PC has been shutting down randomly while playing FFXIV. I thought it might be overheating, but temps are normal and I cleaned the case filters/fans.

It just shuts off, then I can't do anything with it for about a minute (it won't power up at all( then it will power on itself.

I'm guessing it's a PSU issue. There were no issues whatsoever before. I've got a Corsair TX750 V2.

Been searching around, and it's not an uncommon problem, guess I'll call Corsair tomorrow.

You may remember me from "my cpu is running at 80 degrees Celsius" thread!

I have decided to order my new parts tonight from newegg. I used to have a 955 BE Phenom II processor, 3.4 ghz, upgraded to Haswell i-5 4670k and the MSI-G45 mobo, also getting a high tower :p. I think I'm good for the next 5 years, sitting on 8gb ram, 7950 Radeon HD (plan to crossfire down the road) and now this new mobo and cpu.

Thinking of making my old computer into a home entertainment center.

oxidax

i have a powercolor vortex 2 hd7970 but i cant find it anywhere and so i want to crossfire it with a sapphire vapor x hd7970 GHZ edition .. is this possible?
would that bottleneck my fx 8350 which is running at 4.8? or should i just get 2 sapphires ?

kennah

If anything your cpu is bottlenecking the 7970...

Don't bother with cross fire until it is fixed. That said, cards don't have to be perfectly matched. As long as they are the same number. 7970 with 7970, 7850 with 7850, etc. manufacturer doesn't matter as far as it cares.

DTKT

Anyone ever had a "clicking" PSU (or I think it's coming from there...) ? It usually happens when I'm running something intensive.

TheExodu5

Banned
Anyone ever had a "clicking" PSU (or I think it's coming from there...) ? It usually happens when I'm running something intensive.

Yup. Every single power supply I've tried does a buzzing sound when I run STALKER SoC. Enermax, Cooler Master, Corsair, Seasonic...multiple builds. Never figured that one out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom